Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering buying 2015 Z06

Old 05-12-2019, 09:14 PM
Emsand1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering buying 2015 Z06

How concerned should I be with buying a 2015 Z06 with no extended warranty and the balance of the power-train warranty ending April 2020?

I'm having a mechanic inspect it. I imagine any extended warranty options would be non-existent or cost prohibitive.

Emsand1
Old 05-12-2019, 10:48 PM
tertiumquid
CF Senior Member

Received 187 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Emsand1 View Post
How concerned should I be with buying a 2015 Z06 with no extended warranty and the balance of the power-train warranty ending April 2020?

I'm having a mechanic inspect it. I imagine any extended warranty options would be non-existent or cost prohibitive.

Emsand1
Depends on the price and your mechanic's report
Old 05-12-2019, 11:10 PM
Emsand1

1lz 19k miles $54k. Motor replaced at 9k miles under factory warranty.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:27 PM
tertiumquid
CF Senior Member

1lz 19k miles $54k. Motor replaced at 9k miles under factory warranty.
Stay away from it. There's lots of low mileage ones out there at the same price range. A replaced motor at 9k has to make you suspicious the car was beaten.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:46 PM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Yikes... sounds like a beater.
I've considered selling my 15 Z 3lz w 9k mi for $65k, and it's mint condition.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:17 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 3,586 Likes on 2,387 Posts

Replaced motor at 9K doesn't sound like a beat on motor. They replaced it under factory warranty. As for beating on a car what does that even mean? The cars were designed and built with the idea owners could take them to the track and run them around a road course for long periods of time so that isn't beating on it. The car has almost a year of power train warranty remaining so if anything else happens during that time period the purchaser is covered. The fact there are people who make comments like above are the reason the price is lower. Besides it is a 1LZ which is not as desirable of a car as the 2LZ.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
dar02081961 (05-15-2019), Madsen (05-18-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 05:56 PM
tertiumquid
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn View Post
Replaced motor at 9K doesn't sound like a beat on motor. They replaced it under factory warranty. As for beating on a car what does that even mean? The cars were designed and built with the idea owners could take them to the track and run them around a road course for long periods of time so that isn't beating on it. The car has almost a year of power train warranty remaining so if anything else happens during that time period the purchaser is covered. The fact there are people who make comments like above are the reason the price is lower. Besides it is a 1LZ which is not as desirable of a car as the 2LZ.

Bill
Bill, my thought is that a problem requiring a replacement engine with the Z's are not usual and would indicate a major failure so the first thing that comes to mind is that it was treated badly. Maybe not, but you have to wonder and with the number of good deals out there for the same or better number, it just seems like a good idea to move on. We all know that issues like this on a Carfax report affects the perceived resale value. Even in my case with mine, a torque converter and differential replacement in 14K miles is going to hurt me somewhat. I'm not happy with it but that's just the way the free market operates. Pointing out that the idea of people making comments is somehow unfair is to deny human nature. It is what it is...no different than a quarterback with a bad knee won't command the same salary as a healthy one because he represents a greater chance of loss for the investor.

Last edited by tertiumquid; 05-14-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:18 PM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

The fact there are people who make comments like above are the reason the price is lower.

Bill
I've always thought you were a pretty good and knowledgeable guy, but that's pretty damn rude. The guy is asking what WE think. Sorry not everyone's opinion matches yours.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:21 PM
FiftyFiv3

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for something still under bumper to bumper, the savings alone on the extended warranty will be worth the price difference.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:10 PM
corbin7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the car and get an extended warranty. It will cost you about 2-3k and will offer peace-of-mind. Anything could have caused an engine replacement. It doesnt necessarily mean the car was beaten and there will be other indicators aside from the engine if it truly was "flogged".
Old 05-15-2019, 11:23 AM
Emsand1

I appreciate the input.

Pending a successful inspection, I'm buying the Z06. I'm also checking with Dennis' warranty site and if reasonable, I'll probably go with it.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:25 AM
FiftyFiv3

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the input.

Pending a successful inspection, I'm buying the Z06. I'm also checking with Dennis' warranty site and if reasonable, I'll probably go with it.
Be sure to compare the price Dennis gives you for the 2015 vs what it would be for something still under bumper to bumper. That's the main reason I bought a 2016 over a 2015.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:39 AM
Zjoe6
CF Senior Member

Received 614 Likes on 465 Posts

Besides it is a 1LZ which is not as desirable of a car as the 2LZ.

Bill
Not as desirable to you? Is that what you mean?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:46 AM
dar02081961
CF Senior Member

Received 415 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Connman View Post
I've always thought you were a pretty good and knowledgeable guy, but that's pretty damn rude. The guy is asking what WE think. Sorry not everyone's opinion matches yours.
I dont think Bill meant to be rude.

His point is with the design and the controls (limits) in the PCM the car cannot really over stress itself with most anything you can do to it.
The PCM protects the power train from abuse by not allowing the car to exceed any design parameter of the components. Unless the PCM has been modified to remove some of those protections.

So "beating" on a Z06 or any modern PCM controlled vehicle is really a misnomer because the PCM is designed to protect it from most anything the manufacturer would consider abuse.

This being said I am sure with a manual transmission you can back it down and pop the clutch from 20 mph or miss a gear or something along those lines and cause issues later on. But there are not going to be many, if any indicators of this until something actually breaks. Unfortunately this is the risk of buying any used car if something like this happened in its past.

Last edited by dar02081961; 05-15-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering buying 2015 Z06

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: