Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 engine oil leak

Old 05-16-2019, 12:26 AM
s-cam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 engine oil leak

So I decided to take my z06 to the track and run it on the road course. On my third session the car decided to dump the majority of the engine oil out...
its a 17 Z06 with heads, cam, ported blower, pulleys, etc so I decided that there was probably no sense going to my local dealer looking for warranty. The good news is that it never ran dry out of oil and had oil pressure until I shut the car off, the other good news is it never burnt to the ground! I guess the flames coming out under the car looked good to the spectators!

So just before I loaded the car to bring it home I quickly fired the car up (made sure it had oil in it and psi) and the car ran a little rough but no oil leak. What the.... then about 20 seconds later oil came pouring out in front of the front passenger tire.
Anyways I trailered the car home and put it on my lift and started disassembling the car. Engine Oil everywhere. All over the front of the motor, steering rack, and under the whole car. But as I removed the cold air and underbelly panels I expected to see something obvious considering how fast the car was dumping oil. Can't see any issues? Nothing obvious anyways.

Any ideas? I can't seem to find the issue. My next step is to fill the sump with oil and see where it comes out but I would like to avoid the mess if possible. Anyone else have this issue?
Thanks

Sheldon
Old 05-16-2019, 12:44 AM
LarryFL
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 91 Posts

Just a guess, but sounds like the oil line that runs from the radiator to the dry sump system came undone. Its on the passengers side of the radiator, I believe.
The following users liked this post:
Ggpz06 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 01:06 AM
s-cam

Originally Posted by LarryFL View Post
Just a guess, but sounds like the oil line that runs from the radiator to the dry sump system came undone. Its on the passengers side of the radiator, I believe.
So I know of the the 2 main lines from the dry sump to the pan and back to the dry sump but there is another line that runs from the dry sump to the rad? I will take a look and see if I can locate that.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:32 AM
383vett
CF Senior Member

Received 697 Likes on 517 Posts

Clean the mess up the best you can. Add a couple of quarts and start it up. As soon as it starts spewing oil, shut it off. It's hard to tell where a pressurized oil leak is coming from just by looking.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:25 PM
s-cam

Update- I cleaned the car up. Removed the air intake and took a good look around. Nothing. So I put oil in the car (topped it up) slid the intake on without a filter and got my wife to fire up the car. It ran beautifully. For about 5 seconds. Then it started to stumble and probably a total of 15 seconds and died. But no oil leak. So I looked in the intake and it right full of oil. Intake had approx 1/2 a gallon of oil in it.

So car car does not smoke, runs great but decides it dislikes having oil in it and wants to puke it out through the intake. Thoughts on why it's pushing oil into the intake?
Old 05-16-2019, 11:45 PM
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member

Received 331 Likes on 264 Posts

Old 05-16-2019, 11:52 PM
TSLAVette
CF Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

Wish I could help. Perplexing. Keep us posted.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:52 PM
s-cam

A picture of the oil after 15 ish seconds
Old 05-17-2019, 06:55 AM
ronsc1985
CF Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Best guess is the check valve in the system that vents excess crankcase pressure into the intake tract has failed and is now sucking oil into the intake system. Someone who has installed one of the aftermarket catch cans can probably supply some direction on where to look.
bbbvettes.com (05-18-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 03:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 3,586 Likes on 2,387 Posts

Having an LS7 suddenly start belching oil all over the engine compartment at a track event I was going to suggest checking the front cover gasket (it was difficult to find that leak on the LS7), however, if you have oil in the intake I suspect you have some sort of issue with the installation of your mods or have some damage inside the engine causing oil to be pushed through the PCV system.

Bill
bbbvettes.com (05-18-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 03:50 PM
dar02081961
CF Senior Member

Received 415 Likes on 261 Posts

Does your car have an after market catch can on it?
Also check to see if any of the PCV lines are crimped.

Recommend draining all of the oil out of the car from both plugs.
Then refill with 10 qts.

It may be over filled.
When a dry sump system is overfilled the PCV system will siphon oil and burp it out into the intake.
I know it shouldn't be overfilled. However if the last oil change procedure wasn't done properly and from both plugs until completely drained, and then the car was refilled with 10 qts, you/nobody knows how much oil is actually in the car now.

Last edited by dar02081961; 05-17-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:24 PM
Ron'sGS
CF Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Old 05-17-2019, 11:29 PM
s-cam

No catch can. It's far more significant then a crimped pcv hose. Well I don't have an official answer yet but I do know there is fuel mixed with the oil. I think I have an issue with a piston or ring. I will let you know how I make out but I am pretty confident it's a significant issue. Car runs for a bit, stumbles, pushes oil out the pvc and is mixing fuel with the oil.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:58 PM
dar02081961
CF Senior Member

Received 415 Likes on 261 Posts

Cool ...or I guess I should say not so cool...Let us know.
Not a lot of situations on an LT4 that can put fuel in the oil without being blatantly obvious.

Please let us know what you find. Good luck
Old Today, 12:56 AM
GeorgeR_Zed06
CF Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

If your getting fuel with the oil, it might be coming from the cylinders. Take out the spark plugs, or pull the blower off and take a look around.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: