C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Roll race against a Tesla 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 10:49 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Going by power to weight ratios, the break even point for a P100D versus a Z06 is around 45 mph. At that speed, at Z06, at least a Z06 A8 should out pull a Tesla (if the Z06 has enough grip). For a M7, that's near the end of 1st gear (redline at 65 mph), so the break even point may be at a higher speed for the Z06 M7, probably starting the pull in 2nd gear.

Last edited by rcgldr; 05-22-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:34 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Road machine
A friend of mine recently bought a Tesla model 3. He let me drive it and it is very fast. We finally had a chance to race this past week, and it was quite interesting. My car is completely stock. the first run was from a roll of about 30 MPH....he got a bit of a jump but I caught him almost instantly and blew him away. The second run was from about 40....he again got the jump on me and I got a bit sideways so he got a little more distance on me but I closed and passed him within 1000 feet. The Tesla has instant full torque and all wheel drive so a stopped start would probably advantage him, but I am sure i would still beat him. He made some excuses about not full charge and what not, but he knew who was way faster. I do wish i had the autonomous drive mode especially for stop and go traffic but i like to drive when in all other instances. Teslas are no slouches and I can see owning one some day, but today is not that day.
I own the fastest Tesla (P100D) and second-fastest Corvette (Z06) and while the Corvette SOUNDS much, much more exciting, the Tesla is way, way faster. Like not even close.

I can't speak to the Model 3, I don't really know how fast it is. But the P100D is 2.3 zero to sixty vs the Corvette's more probably 3.3 or so and you can see it. But drive both and you can feel it. The Tesla is soul-crushingly quick. And then you reach 60 and it's boring, and you wouldn't spend a day at Spring Mountain in one, all of that.

Even the LaFerrari takes up to 70mph before it catches up an runs it down...
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...t-test-review/

Last edited by davepl; 05-23-2019 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:18 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Curvette
Top speed is governed at around 125 mph because of a few reasons. The strongest of which has to do with the batteries overheating when running that high and they use a refrigeration cycle to keep them cool...but it exceeds cooling capacity at 125 mph. Also...battery life really tanks at those speeds. Have a friend in Germany who said he reaches the governed speed often but needs to watch his battery life as it gets very short at high speeds...

Model 3 Performance includes:
  • Quicker acceleration: 0-60 mph in 3.2s
  • Top speed: up to 162 mph

Tesla 3 Performance comes with better, improved cooling, which also makes it the first Tesla ever to stand vigors of road course track, as well as maintain higher speeds.

Take a look at here, where a Tesla 3 Performance models easily beats an M3 (by 2 seconds??) at road course track (even though it was a launch from stop):
Make no mistake, the streets are owned by electric cars, now. When the Tesla Roadster (with its 7300+ lb.ft torque) and similar cars from other manufacturers get released, there will be no competition at the street on any way or kind of race.

ICE cars still perform better at the track, and they definitely are more fun and engaging to drive as well, but its days might be numbered. I love my Z06, but I would not race against Tesla's faster models at the street. Actually, I don't do any shenanigans at the street regardless, but even theoretically speaking, it's a bit pointless. All the Tesla driver would need is to slam the accelerator. You'd need to make a lot of noises to race, and if you lose, it'd get all that more humiliating with our NPP exhaust.

Last edited by X25; 05-23-2019 at 03:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Blue Curvette
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

OK seems like I offended a Tesla guy. Really sorry about that. I actually like Tesla but truth is we’re simply talking role race and Tesla comes up weaker here and they overheat at high speeds. “Up to ...mph” is meaningless...since they overheat at 125mph and back off.

Don’t wanna ruin your day...so bye.
The following users liked this post:
ls7plus (05-31-2021)
Old 05-23-2019, 09:15 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Sorry guys/gals and all us old "motor heads", a T 100D with Ludicrous or what ever it is, will chew you up and spit you out especially stoplight-to-stoplight UNLESS you are running a HIGHLY modded Z or ZR1 (and those usually aren't very street-able). Unfortunately it's the wave of the future and there isn't much we can do about it. Just like fully autonomous cars 30 or forty years from now. It's been predicted in 50 years our cars will be illegal to drive on the street, I guess like horse and buggy's aren't allowed on the interstate. My advise, when a T car with some rich kid pulls up and wants to screw with you; give him a pleasant CV wave with a hidden One-Finger salute and save yourself the new Utube video that features your car and a bunch of snotty kids laughing at you. JMO on the subject -- too many Hellcats, Mustangs and P cars out there to have fun with.
m3incorp (05-28-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 09:44 AM
FiftyFiv3
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

I'll be surprised if Tesla doesn't go belly up within the next 3 years
ls7plus (05-31-2021)
Old 05-23-2019, 09:45 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
Off the line I'd need a lot of running space before catching a Tesla. A quarter mile would not be enough, and I'm not sure I'd be able to run down a P100 unless it were a few miles.
A P100 is a totally different animal....I agree that the P100 wins in any drag race, and possibly a roll race too.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:55 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Curvette
OK seems like I offended a Tesla guy. Really sorry about that. I actually like Tesla but truth is we’re simply talking role race and Tesla comes up weaker here and they overheat at high speeds. “Up to ...mph” is meaningless...since they overheat at 125mph and back off.

Don’t wanna ruin your day...so bye.
I don't think you made him sad, you just failed to convince him. That's different, and on you, not him (unless you're right).

Of course the LOWEST Model Tesla might be a LITTLE slower than the FASTEST Chevrolets in CERTAIN power bands at PARTICULAR speeds. Change any of the all-caps words and it's different. That shouldn't bother anyone.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:57 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FiftyFiv3
The electric car haters have been saying this for years.....and it may indeed come true, but not because the public isn't buying electric, but because the big car companies are jumping in with all they have. GM, Ford, VW, BMW, Hyundai, will all have multiple models of EVs out next year. And not for environmental reasons but because as battery technology improves year after year, the cars make more sense from a manufacturing perspective as well as ownership experience. Tesla wastes a lot of money on gimmicks. My buddies Model 3 has a motorized door to the charge port, for example. They could save millions just by having that cover be manual like a gas door on any car. Tesla has a lot of room to cut costs, and if they can adopt better more efficient building and design practices they will be around a long long time.
reasonable suspicion (05-24-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 10:14 AM
FiftyFiv3
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

The electric car haters have been saying this for years.....and it may indeed come true, but not because the public isn't buying electric, but because the big car companies are jumping in with all they have. GM, Ford, VW, BMW, Hyundai, will all have multiple models of EVs out next year. And not for environmental reasons but because as battery technology improves year after year, the cars make more sense from a manufacturing perspective as well as ownership experience. Tesla wastes a lot of money on gimmicks. My buddies Model 3 has a motorized door to the charge port, for example. They could save millions just by having that cover be manual like a gas door on any car. Tesla has a lot of room to cut costs, and if they can adopt better more efficient building and design practices they will be around a long long time.
I didn't say anything about electric cars. Tesla is just a very poorly run company.
ls7plus (05-31-2021)
Old 05-23-2019, 10:15 AM
d16dcoe45
Pro

Received 326 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by GS583
Ultimately the batteries will prove to be the weak link in the chain. As they age, the capacity diminishes just like we see on our cell phones when they get a few years old. Also the heat and cold cycles autos are operated in will take a greater toll on battery life. The folks that have the money to buy a Tesla S will have no issue as they had enough income or available free funds to afford one in the first place but maybe what it will cost them to have all those battery packs recycled and replaced will cause them to dump the cars. The average schmo that buys a Tesla 3 and comes up against the replacement/recycle cost will be having a coronary.
Until such time as a superior battery is developed these cars will continue to be a novelty.
Great point!

I race electric RC touring cars and in the stock (motor limited and esc limited classes) we would charge the lipos at 40-70 amps JUST to get heat INSIDE the cells. When the cells are hotter the internal resistance drops and the car is faster. This was in hp limited Stock classes like 17.5, 21.5 turn & 25.5 turn Formula 1.

Also, at big races guys (in Stock classes) will show up with NEW lipo cells even if their "old" lipos are 2 weekends old. To get MAXIMUM voltage, they have to be charged at high amp rates and every time they are charged you lose a little battery peak output and capacity.

I would presume it is the exact same with Teslas. My guess is they are quite a bit slower when it is cold out. The cold slows the flow of electrons in the lithium cells.

However, just like in the Modified classes of RC racing (no limit on motor, esc tuning or batteries)I am sure the large ESCs of the Teslas can compensate by adding dynamic timing, boost and turbo. Brushless motor technology with the right hardware can give you virtually limitless performance. Temporarily at least!
Old 05-23-2019, 10:36 AM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

Here is a Challenger and Z06 against a Model 3.

https://insideevs.com/news/343433/wa...llenger-video/
Except that wasn't a Z06........
Old 05-23-2019, 10:48 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Redc7z06
Except that wasn't a Z06........
No??? What was it??? The video is blurry so it could be a Grand Sport, but if so it is worked heavily. I took the video label as fact. What makes you say it isn't a Z06??

Last edited by Road machine; 05-23-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:02 AM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

No??? What was it??? The video is blurry so it could be a Grand Sport, but if so it is worked heavily. I took the video label as fact. What makes you say it isn't a Z06??
First if you look at the front grill it's not a Z06 grill and next look at the side cove it's too skinny and doesn't have the Z06 emblem. Don't think it's a GS either but it could be a modified Stingray. Other folks in the comment section pointed this out as well.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:52 PM
OhhhApieceOfCandy
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by davepl
I own the fastest Tesla (P100D) and second-fastest Corvette (Z06) and while the Corvette SOUNDS much, much more exciting, the Tesla is way, way faster. Like not even close.

I can't speak to the Model 3, I don't really know how fast it is. But the P100D is 2.3 zero to sixty vs the Corvette's more probably 3.3 or so and you can see it. But drive both and you can feel it. The Tesla is soul-crushingly quick. And then you reach 60 and it's boring, and you wouldn't spend a day at Spring Mountain in one, all of that.

Even the LaFerrari takes up to 70mph before it catches up an runs it down...
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...t-test-review/
Teslas vs Z06s are really the difference between fast and quick. Teslas are quick in that they accelerate to 60 well. Z06s pull much harder from a highway roll and have a much higher top speed. Having said that, I don't think the general population is going 0-60 nearly as much as they think they are.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:31 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Redc7z06
First if you look at the front grill it's not a Z06 grill and next look at the side cove it's too skinny and doesn't have the Z06 emblem. Don't think it's a GS either but it could be a modified Stingray. Other folks in the comment section pointed this out as well.
I agree that it looks off. It also does not seem to have the clear taillights, but it is definitely a wide body vette, so it can't be a Stingray. I was able to freeze it a 55 second mark and there seems to be something where the Z06 emblem is but it is too blurry. What ever it is it blew away the Tesla. The same Tesla that blew away the Challenger.

Last edited by Road machine; 05-23-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 AM
d16dcoe45
Pro

Received 326 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
But a Tesla is a nice car, but not a "cool" car. That's the bottom line for me.
That is more subjective than anything. Where I live Tesla is the most hip and "coolest" car you can buy! Especially the Model 3--as it is the newest.

Not saying I agree with that opinion whatsoever but that is all it is, someones opinion.

The coolest car to me is a 1962 Dodge Dart 413 Maxwedge. To many, it is unusually ugly, primitive and perenially "uncool".

Last edited by d16dcoe45; 05-24-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Roll race against a Tesla 3

Old 05-24-2019, 08:40 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Tesla makes some beautiful cars, but who wants to drive a quiet fast car that makes a swooshing noise like an old pair of corduroys rubbing together?
ls7plus (05-31-2021)
Old 05-24-2019, 11:26 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by rcgldr
Going by power to weight ratios, the break even point for a P100D versus a Z06 is around 45 mph. At that speed, at Z06, at least a Z06 A8 should out pull a Tesla (if the Z06 has enough grip). For a M7, that's near the end of 1st gear (redline at 65 mph), so the break even point may be at a higher speed for the Z06 M7, probably starting the pull in 2nd gear.
Not sure I get your logic. A manual is lighter than an auto (still not really sure why people say M7/A8. Is there a version of the C7 that comes with a NON 7 speed manual or auto that has more/less than 8 speeds??) not to mention the auto loses more power to the wheels than a manual does, so if you're basing it on power:weight, the "break even point" should be lower than the auto. I haven't checked your math on either, but whether it's correct or not, it would favor the manual

Originally Posted by FiftyFiv3
I would actually be VERY surprised if this happens. Not only am I seeing more and more of their cars on the road (and in SC where electric cars aren't popular, just trucks and giant SUVs), but they make more than just cars. Solar roofs are super popular and that's a big part of their manufacturing, not to mention the power walls.

Dude, the label on the video says Z51, so if you took the label as fact, then you should take it as a stingray.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 05-24-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:40 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 438 Likes on 235 Posts

I've got both and the Tesla P3 is fast but not as fast as my Z06 A8. I drive it and the .4 secs is noticeable. But the P3 is very fun to drive in track mode it's like a quiet go cart.

Quick Reply: Roll race against a Tesla 3