C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Roll race against a Tesla 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 10:47 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Roll race against a Tesla 3

A friend of mine recently bought a Tesla model 3. He let me drive it and it is very fast. We finally had a chance to race this past week, and it was quite interesting. My car is completely stock. the first run was from a roll of about 30 MPH....he got a bit of a jump but I caught him almost instantly and blew him away. The second run was from about 40....he again got the jump on me and I got a bit sideways so he got a little more distance on me but I closed and passed him within 1000 feet. The Tesla has instant full torque and all wheel drive so a stopped start would probably advantage him, but I am sure i would still beat him. He made some excuses about not full charge and what not, but he knew who was way faster. I do wish i had the autonomous drive mode especially for stop and go traffic but i like to drive when in all other instances. Teslas are no slouches and I can see owning one some day, but today is not that day.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:59 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Teslas are no slouches
"No matter who you put in the car," he says, "the electronics will do the work, and not the driver."
Ayrton Senna in a 1993 tv interview voicing his contempt on what the revolutionary Williams FW14 Formula 1 race car's electronic dampening, ABS and Traction control took away from the art of F1 driving.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:13 AM
Newb73
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

A $100,000 Z06 vs a $40,000 sedan? You are surprised that you blew him away?
Old 05-22-2019, 11:16 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Road machine
A friend of mine recently bought a Tesla model 3. He let me drive it and it is very fast. We finally had a chance to race this past week, and it was quite interesting. My car is completely stock. the first run was from a roll of about 30 MPH....he got a bit of a jump but I caught him almost instantly and blew him away. The second run was from about 40....he again got the jump on me and I got a bit sideways so he got a little more distance on me but I closed and passed him within 1000 feet. The Tesla has instant full torque and all wheel drive so a stopped start would probably advantage him, but I am sure i would still beat him. He made some excuses about not full charge and what not, but he knew who was way faster. I do wish i had the autonomous drive mode especially for stop and go traffic but i like to drive when in all other instances. Teslas are no slouches and I can see owning one some day, but today is not that day.
Pretty impressive as the Model 3 is a 35k car - if I recall correctly.

It’s all wheel drive that makes the big difference.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Newb73
A $100,000 Z06 vs a $40,000 sedan? You are surprised that you blew him away?
Well my Z06 was $72k and he paid $60k for the Tesla (it is the high performance version) but I was not surprised I blew him away.

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Pretty impressive as the Model 3 is a 35k car - if I recall correctly.

It’s all wheel drive that makes the big difference.
He has the high performance version and said he paid $60k. I think they have come down in price....he got it just before the winter.

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Ayrton Senna in a 1993 tv interview voicing his contempt on what the revolutionary Williams FW14 Formula 1 race car's electronic dampening, ABS and Traction control took away from the art of F1 driving.
While I understand Aerton Senna's concerns for his career, I cannot see offering the general public a 650 Hp car without the nannies that can save one from killing himself the first time out in their new car. There is no way that we would have the performance we have today if there was nothing to keep the car safe on the road. The law suits would put the manufacturer out of business. As for autonomous driving.....we need something to solve the problem of distracted driving. I hate the fact that we will have to do this, as I love to drive, but there are just too many people that think driving is compatible with multi tasking, and unless you can change human behavior the only answer is to take the driver out of the picture. I would rather have every car be under autonomous control than have every driver texting while traveling 88 feet per second.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-25-2019 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Merged Posts - Please use the Multi Quote button to make your responses look like this.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:12 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I live in Milpitas, which is one town south of where the Tesla's are built. Many Tesla's have wanted to race me when the light turns green, I just tell ignore them. No way I can catch a Tesla off the line. Roll race is a different story.
The following 2 users liked this post by JJLAI724:
kenownr (05-23-2019), reasonable suspicion (05-23-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 12:18 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
I live in Milpitas, which is one town south of where the Tesla's are built. Many Tesla's have wanted to race me when the light turns green, I just tell ignore them. No way I can catch a Tesla off the line. Roll race is a different story.
Really?? You think you could not catch them off the line??? I would think they get a good jump, but we can catch them pretty quick....No?
Old 05-22-2019, 12:41 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Really?? You think you could not catch them off the line??? I would think they get a good jump, but we can catch them pretty quick....No?
Not a Z, but check this out...
Old 05-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

He has the high performance version and said he paid $60k. I think they have come down in price....he got it just before the winter.
There most likely is no difference between the performance and regular versions. There is a dip switch or program command that gets turned on for the 25k up charge. Lol!
Old 05-22-2019, 01:02 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
There most likely is no difference between the performance and regular versions. There is a dip switch or program command that gets turned on for the 25k up charge. Lol!
The performance model gets two motors while the regular version only gets one.

Originally Posted by MHFontaine
Not a Z, but check this out... Model 3 vs C7
Big difference between a Z06 and a Stingray. In your video that SR was also very late on the light.

Here is a Challenger and Z06 against a Model 3.

https://insideevs.com/news/343433/wa...llenger-video/

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-25-2019 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Please use the Multi-Quote button. You can respond to multiple people in a single reply!
Old 05-22-2019, 02:43 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Off the line I'd need a lot of running space before catching a Tesla. A quarter mile would not be enough, and I'm not sure I'd be able to run down a P100 unless it were a few miles.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:12 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

The performance model gets two motors while the regular version only gets one.
a Model 3 was challenging me when i was driving my c7Z06 last weekend -- btw "we have fondly nicknamed our z06 miss piggy"--- i really didnt know what it was or how quick they are and ignored him. -- Good thing I did, she would have had her nipples blown off.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 05-22-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:26 PM
OhhhApieceOfCandy
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

This just in, electric cars make instant torque. They're fast cars off the line but from a highway roll, where people normally get into the throttle, a comparably powered ICE car is always going to win. Tesla P90Ds trap low 120s in the quarter mile which is abysmal for a 691 horsepower car. Those are 500hp mustang numbers.

Last edited by OhhhApieceOfCandy; 05-22-2019 at 03:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vrybad (05-27-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 03:35 PM
Pribilof
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Go to 5:07 for the results. The P100D has 920 Ft-lb of torque (at the wheels) at basically 0 RPM with AWD. Good luck!

Last edited by Pribilof; 05-22-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:07 PM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 201 Posts

Electric motors have maximum torque at zero rpm so that plus the all wheel drive is why they are so impressive off the dead start line. If they can pull enough of a hole shot it is almost impossible to catch up. Also there are never any missed shifts unless some sort of failure occurs. It is their game for brute initial accelleration. If you are going to race one make it a half mile or longer.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:12 PM
Blue Curvette
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Torque Curve

I saw a website with torque curves for electric motors versus internal combustion engines in cars. The electric motor was exactly the opposite of an internal combustion engine. So as speed increases torque decreases. This likely is why I the Tesla would have a more difficult time in a roll race and does well off the line. Max torque is on the low rpm end...
Old 05-22-2019, 05:12 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

But a Tesla is a nice car, but not a "cool" car. That's the bottom line for me.
The following 3 users liked this post by JJLAI724:
Blue Curvette (05-22-2019), kenownr (05-23-2019), ls7plus (05-31-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Roll race against a Tesla 3

Old 05-22-2019, 08:21 PM
Ruderegime
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 101 Posts

Supposably they have horrible build quality, and then I guarantee that there top speed is governed way lower than a ZO6, but I don't have an actual cut off number.
Let's see how well they hold up years down the line.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:41 PM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 201 Posts

Ultimately the batteries will prove to be the weak link in the chain. As they age, the capacity diminishes just like we see on our cell phones when they get a few years old. Also the heat and cold cycles autos are operated in will take a greater toll on battery life. The folks that have the money to buy a Tesla S will have no issue as they had enough income or available free funds to afford one in the first place but maybe what it will cost them to have all those battery packs recycled and replaced will cause them to dump the cars. The average schmo that buys a Tesla 3 and comes up against the replacement/recycle cost will be having a coronary.
Until such time as a superior battery is developed these cars will continue to be a novelty.
The following 2 users liked this post by GS583:
kenownr (05-23-2019), ls7plus (05-31-2021)
Old 05-22-2019, 09:33 PM
Blue Curvette
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Top speed

Originally Posted by Ruderegime
Supposably they have horrible build quality, and then I guarantee that there top speed is governed way lower than a ZO6, but I don't have an actual cut off number.
Let's see how well they hold up years down the line.
Top speed is governed at around 125 mph because of a few reasons. The strongest of which has to do with the batteries overheating when running that high and they use a refrigeration cycle to keep them cool...but it exceeds cooling capacity at 125 mph. Also...battery life really tanks at those speeds. Have a friend in Germany who said he reaches the governed speed often but needs to watch his battery life as it gets very short at high speeds...
The following users liked this post:
ls7plus (05-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Roll race against a Tesla 3