C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Considering purchasing a C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 11:14 AM
silverbird
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Considering purchasing a C7 Z06

Hi,
Wondering if you guys can help me out?
I recently sold my beloved C5 Z06.
I owned the car for 12 years.
I considered myself quite knowledgeable about C5 Z06's.
I performed many mods to alleviate some of the issues common to the car.
I'm considering replacing it with a used C7 Z06.
I've been reading thru many of the posts here on the forum.
Trying to educate myself by doing some research about the vehicle.
Perhaps some of you can describe some of the shortcomings within the various model years.
Issues like overheating, cracked wheels. (Or issues that are more prevalent to specific model years)
What I'm looking at is a vehicle that will be used on some road trips and occasional romps thru the twisties.
The car will never be tracked. (Not sure if that would eliminate the overheating issues that I've read about?)
I would like a 2LT 7 speed manual and nav.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Silverbird

Last edited by silverbird; 05-23-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:33 AM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

• 2LZ is the sweet spot for me. Less chance of dash issues like 3LZ and nice features.
  • No need for carbon ceramic brakes unless you like the look and prefer minimal to no dust (could always swap stock pads on iron rotors as an alternative)
  • Overheating won't be an issue since you are focusing on road trips and occasional spirited driving
  • I prefer the glass roof but I know some complain of heat, less effective AC. I've never had an issue and think it gives the cabin an airy feel
  • Wheels are garbage IMO. Get the insurance or just price out a set of nice forged wheels.
  • 2017+ would be ideal as you get the different lid (extra cooler with the M7). You also get android auto/apple carplay with makes the factory nav instantly obsolete.
  • Check for paint chips by the fender appliques and areas where the body panels meet.

Other than that, pick your color/interior and have fun. I'm really enjoying mine.
The following 2 users liked this post by blackbirdws6:
bluekey28 (05-24-2019), Waterdogg (08-12-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 11:51 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a 2019 2lz with 4k miles.It has been problem free.I drive mine as you described.Great beast when compared to my C6 Z that I had for 7 years. My advice is to buy the newest year that you can afford.
The following 3 users liked this post by QUAKEJAKE:
Arctic_White (08-11-2019), Krenath (05-23-2019), Waterdogg (08-12-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:02 PM
S.FLA..Z06
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

I came from Bmw M world and Absolutely in Love w my Bitch !! 1st coupe ever for me and 1st american car in 25+ years of drive !

i agree w blkbird about the ac thing clear roof is sexxy but def brings the heat up and the Ac in S Fla at least IMO is Meh good but not great , someone told me whe you dump gas the ac compressor is shut off or just not outputing what it normally does but idk if that true or not but again the ac is just ok so i have a non clear roof and i am very happy about it lol !

I got a 16 w the supposed over heat issues and i nvr track just street fun fun fun , i beat the absolute dawgshit out've my Maya and i have yet to see any over heating issues even in the S Fla heat its 84 rt now. i feel as if this mainly is a track issue which i nvr do and you stated the same!

Luckily thk god our streets are like Glass and i have not had (knocking on wood ) any issues w the stock wheels altho i would prolly not buy again w out making sure i buy a rim/tire ins policy , had it on every one of my Bmw's and within 1st 3 mo's every time would pay for itself w the $500 tires and now if you add rim issues its a no brainer !

I have 3lz and love it but 2 lz gives you all you would need as well

Blkbird mentions "no need for ceramics" I'll agree to Disagree i bought a bunch hi end bmw's and all the time people would ask on forum are ceramics worth it bla bla and the consensus was always NOOOO if ya don't track ! They came w my Z07 pkg 1st NON Daily fun car ive had w Ceramics and i gotta say , I love them Soooo i will Nvr be w out ceramics again ! They are freaking Awesome i drive aggressive and sometime Douschy and i gotta say these brakes amaze me every time i drive.. you hardly have to touch the pedal and you already down its almost effortless , in the M5 15.5 inch rotor w 8 piston caliper i'd fade out pretty often , Nvr not once in the Z , and Best for me since im **** Af w cleanliness there is 0 brake dust if you drive like a Fairy or like my dad but the way i drive i'd say after 4-5 days i 'll notice a haze over the wheels , so in closing they are the Cat's *** imo , not to say that blkbird is incorrect you don't need em but they truly are ******* amazzzzing and again my car has not and will nvr see a track i use for true street fun time !

Another good point from blkbird is the paint chips at body lines and the grill inserts as well (again luckily i have none em) but i did not even know of em as i joined forum after my purchase

G'luck keep options open and don't jump at 1st or even the 2nd one there are soo many out there that yours shall find you ! unless you want white lol seems to be not many those , i was dead set on blk but because of the opt's i wanted (suede pkg , gloss cf interrior , Z07) made it really hard and took 2 mo's and ended up w a Red Beauty!

Neil
The following users liked this post:
ssmith512 (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:17 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbird
Hi,
Wondering if you guys can help me out?
I recently sold my beloved C5 Z06.
I owned the car for 12 years.
I considered myself quite knowledgeable about C5 Z06's.
I performed many mods to alleviate some of the issues common to the car.
I'm considering replacing it with a used C7 Z06.
I've been reading thru many of the posts here on the forum.
Trying to educate myself by doing some research about the vehicle.
Perhaps some of you can describe some of the shortcomings within the various model years.
Issues like overheating, cracked wheels. (Or issues that are more prevalent to specific model years)
What I'm looking at is a vehicle that will be used on some road trips and occasional romps thru the twisties.
The car will never be tracked. (Not sure if that would eliminate the overheating issues that I've read about?)
I would like a 2LT 7 speed manual and nav.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Silverbird
2lz is a good equipment package.

I have c7z m7 2lz . I like the car but it isn’t a favorite. Thoroughly test drive a c7z before you buy to make sure you like the blown motor. If I were you and having a new car with a warranty is not important- get a c6z and get the heads addressed. Or wait to see what the c8 brings.

The c7z is like a 2 door Cadillac the c6 or c5 z’s are sports cars. If you are doing lots of road trips maybe the c7z will be better because the seats are very comfortable once you get in the car.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 05-23-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:31 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

[QUOTE=S.FLA..Z06;1599452764]Blkbird mentions "no need for ceramics" I'll agree to Disagree i bought a bunch hi end bmw's and all the time people would ask on forum are ceramics worth it bla bla and the consensus was always NOOOO if ya don't track ! They came w my Z07 pkg 1st NON Daily fun car ive had w Ceramics and i gotta say , I love them Soooo i will Nvr be w out ceramics again ! They are freaking Awesome i drive aggressive and sometime Douschy and i gotta say these brakes amaze me every time i drive.. you hardly have to touch the pedal and you already down its almost effortless , in the M5 15.5 inch rotor w 8 piston caliper i'd fade out pretty often , Nvr not once in the Z , and Best for me since im **** Af w cleanliness there is 0 brake dust if you drive like a Fairy or like my dad but the way i drive i'd say after 4-5 days i 'll notice a haze over the wheels , so in closing they are the Cat's *** imo , not to say that blkbird is incorrect you don't need em but they truly are ******* amazzzzing and again my car has not and will nvr see a track i use for true street fun time !/QUOTE]

This +1 million. If you can find and afford the ceramic brakes, get them. I am soooooo glad I got them on my car, and it's just a part time street car.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:43 PM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

I have a 2017 Z06 A8. There are several threads on this topic but here is my take and it matches closely to BlackbirdWS6's ...
  • Get a 2017+ (extra cooler with the M7), or 2019 which has some has ZR1 components.
  • 2LZ is also the sweet spot for me, I did add the PDR and really enjoy it even though I rarely track the car except for the occasional 1/4 mile drag strip. I really enjoy the carplay and navigation features. The 2LZ will also be less money on a used Z and can be used as a negotiating tool (2LZ vs.3LZ so you should pay less).
  • Change out the stock pads for less dust on regular rotors. The stock pads are great for stopping but do add a lot of dust to the wheels.
  • I have the A8 which is more prone to Overheating but have NEVER had a problem overheating. I drive it hard and have been to the drag strip with 5 back to back to back races and never got hot on a 90* day.
  • The M7 is a great choice (both trans are good) and you will not take the chance of the A8 shudder issue. Mine does not shudder and runs great but there is always that chance with an A8.
  • I've had two bent wheels and probably the biggest issue with these cars so you'll need to consider one or more of the following:
    • Get wheel and tire insurance.
    • Self Insure (have $500 per wheels saved in the bank just in case) - I do love the looks of our stock wheel.
    • Go to Continental Extreme Sport tires as they are quiet and more forgiving on the wheels but still an excellent street tire (I'm doing this on my next tire change). They are not run flats.
    • Purchase forged wheels.
  • I purchased all my aero/splitter components after I got the car to save some money. I put on the stage 2 front and rear aero for half of the factory price and left the side skirts stock (they come standard on 2017+ cars) . This won't be an issue if you can find a used Z06 that already has them installed and maybe add it to your wish list for your car.
  • I did add Xpel to the front bumper, front splitter and lower rocker panel.
I will say this is the best performance car I have ever owned so you will not be disappointed. It is fantastic despite the couple flaws it may have and I would but it again. You are smart purchasing a slightly used Z06 as it is a good time to buy them. Look forward to you posts of your C7Z.

Last edited by SLEEKVET; 05-23-2019 at 12:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SLEEKVET:
Arctic_White (08-11-2019), ceastham1 (05-25-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 02:53 PM
thelastday
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

The carbon ceramic brakes are amazing in terms of stopping power and keeping the wheels clean. You can find them without going full Z07. Definitely prepare for wheel replacements of some fashion. Consider a ported throttle body if the tip in bothers you.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:22 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

The c7z is like a 2 door Cadillac the c6 or c5 z’s are sports cars.
Have you ever driven a C7 Z06 on the track? That is an odd statement, the car is extremely capable.
Road machine (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 03:37 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
I have a 2019 2lz with 4k miles.It has been problem free.I drive mine as you described.Great beast when compared to my C6 Z that I had for 7 years. My advice is to buy the newest year that you can afford.
i am a little lower in miles right now, and I had my C6 Z06 for 11 years but other than that we are in exactly the same place and I agree with his advise as well. The newer you go the better the car is, as is almost always the case with Corvettes. ( exception is C3s after 1972)
Old 05-24-2019, 03:10 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Detroit_Bill
Have you ever driven a C7 Z06 on the track? That is an odd statement, the car is extremely capable.
Never been on the track with a corvette. I never said the c7z was not capable at the track. I am sure it is and will outshine a c6z for a couple of hot laps on a course that doesn’t have long straightaways.

I just think the c6z looks and feels more like a sports car. And the c7z feels and looks more like a big Cadillac 2 door. I am not saying that’s a bad thing. It’s just my opinion.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 05-24-2019 at 03:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Gizmo:
c5arlen (03-04-2022), Malinko (05-26-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 03:27 PM
silverbird
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thank you to all for the great insight and information.
Much appreciated!
Silverbird
Old 05-24-2019, 03:37 PM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Overheating on the earlier years 15-16 is only a possibility if you track the car hard and leave it Stock. Plenty of aftermarket to overcome everything GM has done to the 17-19 years. If you’re buying used you might as well shop for the best deal for the trim package you want. Don’t let any year sway you. Very small changes.

The year deal must make people feel better about the money they spent lol. My 16’ has great paint and the body panels don’t rub anywhere. I got a great deal on mine in June of 17’. Had 3800 miles on it and a dealer trade in. Newer years are just going to have more depreciation for you to pay for.

Last edited by CamOnlyJabroni; 05-24-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:32 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Wow Gizmo...."I just think the c6z looks and feels more like a sports car. And the c7z feels and looks more like a big Cadillac 2 door. I am not saying that’s a bad thing. It’s just my opinion."

I respect your opinion, but I have to say your comment is quite bazaar! I've driven C5 and C6 Corvettes and in their era, they were great cars. How in the world you can say that these prior models (at least the C6) feel MORE like a sports car than the C7 Z06 + the C7 Z06 feels and looks more like a Cadillac is clearly a subjective statement with no fact behind it.

"Subjective information or writing is based on personal opinions, interpretations, points of view, emotions and judgment."
SuperdadZ06 (05-26-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 10:37 PM
2FAST4U
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I love my C7 z06 3LZ, and would recommend the car to anyone. I got the A8 and absolutely love it but choose stick if you like that.

I didn’t get ceramic breaks on mine but would’ve like it for cleanliness. Stopping power is super without though.

I don’t race so I have never experienced heat issues. Literally impossible to overheat in the street in Pennsylvania.

I did upgrade tires, so I could get the 3 second 0-60.

I have 6k miles on her and no issues at this point.

Last edited by 2FAST4U; 05-24-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:03 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
I love my C7 z06 3LZ, and would recommend the car to anyone. I got the A8 and absolutely love it but choose stick if you like that.

I didn’t get ceramic breaks on mine but would’ve like it for cleanliness. Stopping power is super without though.

I don’t race so I have never experienced heat issues. Literally impossible to overheat in the street in Pennsylvania.

What tires did you go with?
Old 05-25-2019, 07:08 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U

You can get the power stop z26 ceramic pads. They keep the wheels spotless.

What tires did you go with ?

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 05-25-2019 at 07:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering purchasing a C7 Z06

Old 05-25-2019, 07:28 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Interesting opinions in this thread from guys that never track cars offering opinions on track cars (which the c7z is)

since you aren’t going to take it to the track why even get the Vette in the first place. Could get a caddy or a camaro or an Audi S5.

anyways the overheating only affected automatic cars, driven on track, or pre 2017 manuals driven hard on track without the auxiliary radiator.

just get whatever one you like in your budget, brake dust to me is kind of a goofy reason to pay extra for carbon ceramics but they do look super cool. They cost a lot to run on track but since you aren’t doing that may be a good route for you! They typically come on z07 cars which have the stiffer suspension.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:46 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
Interesting opinions in this thread from guys that never track cars offering opinions on track cars (which the c7z is)

since you aren’t going to take it to the track why even get the Vette in the first place. Could get a caddy or a camaro or an Audi S5.
C7z isn’t a track car. It’s more of a luxury street “sports” car that can be tracked versus a track car that can be driven on the street and does well on the track for a few laps before overheating.

to quote tadge “most track capable corvette”

https://www.torquenews.com/106/corve...nd-zr1-cooling

C7z is a 2 door Cadillac with a Chevy badge.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 05-25-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:20 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
C7z isn’t a track car. It’s more of a luxury street “sports” car that can be tracked versus a track car that can be driven on the street and does well on the track for a few laps before overheating.

to quote tadge “most track capable corvette”

https://www.torquenews.com/106/corve...nd-zr1-cooling

C7z is a 2 door Cadillac with a Chevy badge.
You've never been on track in any corvette. The older models are even less of track cars. They might not be as comfortable but lack comfort alone does not a track car make. C7z beats pretty much any car you can throw at it on a race track short of mclaren 720s and a GT2RS Porsche.
SuperdadZ06 (05-26-2019)

Quick Reply: Considering purchasing a C7 Z06