C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

How luxurious is the ride in Touring mode?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 02:10 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Default How luxurious is the ride in Touring mode?

Like Lexus LS460 good? Or not that great?

Before 20 of you comment "go test drive them," I have. I want to hear from owners who commute everyday in this car how luxurious the ride is for a commute if you put it in tour mode

I am all for sporty-ness but there's a point where driving on the 405 daily wears you down and I want some luxury at the turn of a **** when needed. So with that said, I'm interested in hearing how well the car can act luxurious. I already know how good it is in sport mode, just interested in hearing how good the other end of the spectrum is

Last edited by mammoth713; 05-24-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:31 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713

Before 20 of you comment "go test drive them," I have. I want to hear from owners who commute everyday in this car how luxurious the ride is for a commute if you put it in tour mode

I am all for sporty-ness but there's a point where driving on the 405 daily wears you down and I want some luxury at the turn of a **** when needed. So with that said, I'm interested in hearing how well the car can act luxurious. I already know how good it is in sport mode, just interested in hearing how good the other end of the spectrum is
If you want a Lexus 460 ride purchase a DSC Sport controller. You can set the comfort level in Tour and by default economy and wet to about anything you want although when you get it too soft the cornering gets a little touchy, kind of like a Lexus 460.

BTW my wife just traded in her 2012 Lexus for an Audi SQ5 so I kind of know how a Lexus 460 rides.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:12 PM
NA FURY
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah, if you're looking for a ride in the universe of the LS 460, look elsewhere. My dad leased a few of those and they ride like you're in a cloud. Tour is OK but this is a track car so it's still going to be stiff no matter the setting. With that being said, it is DD'able for a lot of people. I couldn't do it in my area just because of the lack of ground clearance.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:15 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

You’re comparing a sports car to a “Lexus” luxury car ride, it’s not even close in Touring mode on the corvette.

Last edited by Ron'sGS; 05-24-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:20 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

No comparison. If you want a soft luxury ride get a Stingray. That’s as close as you’ll get in a Corvette
Old 05-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Touring is very comfortable in the z06 and even z07, what causes jarring is the nature of low sidewall tires with no give so potholes or pavement separations really won’t feel like a Lexus, but it’s a very smooth ride, especially with the DSC IN TOUR it’s semi-floaty even. The stock z06 fe6 not z07 was still very comfy though. I’ve driven mine on a couple trips and never felt “beat up”.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:33 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Zero luxury in touring mode. But less stiff than sport or track.

The C7 and a Lexus are worlds apart.

I am perfectly comfortable driving long distances and commuting in my C7 Z06. Based on your question, I expect you would be very unhappy.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:30 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

In tour mode my 2019 Z06 is very good but very far from luxurious.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:00 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Tour mode is still a pretty stiff ride but its actually not bad. It dampens a lot of the little bumps that you would feel in sport mode. In Track mode its pretty much like rattling your teeth. I never drive in track mode on the street because of how stiff and jarring the ride is.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:00 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I'm on my second C7 Z06 and I always drive them in sport mode. I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, but I really don't care that much about the ride on the street. When I want a smoother ride, I use my daily driver.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:09 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I'm on my second C7 Z06 and I always drive them in sport mode. I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, but I really don't care that much about the ride on the street. When I want a smoother ride, I use my daily driver.
Ding ding ding. But even saying that the z06 has never been “uncomfortable” to me or passengers
Old 05-25-2019, 06:33 AM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Reading comprehension helps a lot. Did you miss the part in the OP which referenced his concern about use in daily driving on the 405?.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:40 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
Reading comprehension helps a lot. Did you miss the part in the OP which referenced his concern about use in daily driving on the 405?.
Yes, comprehension helps a lot. I missed that. Sorry if I offended you or the OP.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:17 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713

Other then being a little bit hard to get in and out of — The car is more like a 2 door Cadillac then a sports car. If you change tires to the Michellen all weather you’ll be pleased with the ride on the 405. These tough to please Californians that spend a lot of time on the 405 would be happy.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 05-25-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:27 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

I think that where you live has a big impact (pun intended) on the ride quality of tour. Down here in south Florida it’s very smooth, so the ride in tour is luxurious. I’ve lived in the Midwest. I can’t imagine it would do well on freeway expansion joints, any car with runflats is going to beat you up.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:48 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

As someone who daily drives my Z06, I'm curious how often you drive your Z06 compared to your daily? Not looking to criticize here, I'm only curious. I'm on my 3rd Z06 and I can't imagine wanting to drive something else except for maybe 5% of the time.

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
Ding ding ding. But even saying that the z06 has never been “uncomfortable” to me or passengers
Agreed. My Z06 is comfortable to me but some passengers comment on the ride being a little too firm. But those that have commented have never been in any sort of fast car in their life.

Originally Posted by fatsport
I think that where you live has a big impact (pun intended) on the ride quality of tour. Down here in south Florida it’s very smooth, so the ride in tour is luxurious. I’ve lived in the Midwest. I can’t imagine it would do well on freeway expansion joints, any car with runflats is going to beat you up.
South Florida Native here myself, agreed 90% of the roads are buttery smooth and Tour mode is a dream on the highway. But there are some down town areas in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Boca and West Palm Beach where the roads are a bit rough from the construction. Even in Tour mode its bumps you around. One time I forgot I was in Track mode while going down Palmetto and I thought I was going to rattle out of my seat until I switched the car over to Sport.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:10 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

My Z comes out according to the weather. My '16 had 5,000 miles on it when I got rid of it. Both of mine have been nothing but toys. I've owned a number of muscle/performance cars in my 70+ years and have never based any of those purchases on the ride. To me, a rougher ride on cars like the Corvette just goes with the territory. I tend to gravitate more towards looks and horsepower rather than ride quality.

Get notified of new replies

To How luxurious is the ride in Touring mode?

Old 05-25-2019, 11:15 AM
Ruderegime
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 101 Posts

Very luxurious with the MRC update 15, 16, 17 models
Old 05-25-2019, 11:29 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

For the record, I used mine in the summer as a daily driver as long as the weather is nice (and sometimes when it is not). I put about 5,000 a year on my 2016 Z06 non-Z07 A8. I have had the Mag Ride software upgrade. On the highway for long trips I am always in Tour and Drive and the ride is fine but noisy due to the tires and minimal sound deadening. Very comfortable for me. I use the Sport setting occasionally but mostly for exhaust sound as I have my exhaust setting to automatic. Sport setting is a bit stiffer but improved at lower speeds due to the MSRC upgrade. I minimize Sport not for the stiffness so much as to preserve the wheel rims on our potholed roads. For ordinary around town driving I use Tour and Drive unless I want the car to sound a bit more like a sports car, when I used Sport (and therefore louder exhaust) and Manual shifting.I find the ride to be perfectly fine for me in both Tour and Sport. I only use Track when I am on the track, where it works very well. We have taken a number of 2,500-3,000 mile trips in the Vette and even my wife didn't complain (too much). As I toddle on into old age, getting in and out is becoming the more significant problem! Will drive it as long as I can!--Bob
Old 05-25-2019, 04:27 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

I put about 12K miles a year on mine. Just did a 3000mile road trip, mainly highway, and was never fatigued or stiff. My 70yo parents drove it 1500 miles over 3 days and loved it. Now I commuted 30 mins each way for 2 years with in both highway and city streets, 90% in tour mode and on MPSS. I do have the DCS controller but have not adjusted any settings since getting it. Also to note, I am not a small guy either and getting in and out multiple times daily is not an issue. Unless your roads are absolute garbage the ride is great. Different tires will make it better. I noticed that when I put the AS3+ on for winter driving.

Quick Reply: How luxurious is the ride in Touring mode?