C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Alky meth kit with E50

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 10:06 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Alky meth kit with E50

Hey guys, does anyone have an Alky meth kit while running a flex fuel kit? I'm running E50 with my DSX flex fuel kit and I just installed my Kong 2.175 upper pulley. I'm still on my factory pumps and wondering if meth would help support my fueling needs? I don't know much about meth and I am a little concerned about the chance of fire. Has anyone else run a similar set up? If so, what are your thoughts and results. I'm also looking at a DSX aux fuel pump, but wondering if I could install a single nozzle Alky meth kit to give me just a little more fueling.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:39 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

I run a Alky single nozzle meth kit with the flex fuel kit and run 50% E but I also have the DSX aux fuel pump. Don't think the stock low side and meth kit will support E-50. With my setup E50 was all my tuner said the DSX aux pump low side would support with a single nozzle meth setup without pushing the low side to the limit. I am going to a dual nozzle meth setup soon so I expect to be able to support more than 50% E then. I installed a 1.5 gallon rear cubby meth tank which I like a lot better than the meth in the WW tank.

Last edited by jstewart; 05-29-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:56 AM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by jstewart
I run a Alky single nozzle meth kit with the flex fuel kit and run 50% E but I also have the DSX aux fuel pump. Don't think the low side and meth kit will support E-50. With my setup E50 was all my tuner said the low side would support with a single nozzle meth setup without pushing the low side to the limit. I am going to a dual nozzle meth setup soon so I expect to be able to support more than 50% E then. I installed a 1.5 gallon rear cubby meth tank which I like a lot better than the meth in the WW tank.
Interesting. I thought the meth would help support the low side, not tax it even more
Old 05-28-2019, 08:43 PM
rflow306
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
Hey guys, does anyone have an Alky meth kit while running a flex fuel kit? I'm running E50 with my DSX flex fuel kit and I just installed my Kong 2.175 upper pulley. I'm still on my factory pumps and wondering if meth would help support my fueling needs? I don't know much about meth and I am a little concerned about the chance of fire. Has anyone else run a similar set up? If so, what are your thoughts and results. I'm also looking at a DSX aux fuel pump, but wondering if I could install a single nozzle Alky meth kit to give me just a little more fueling.
The meth will definitely help the low side. I run a twin nozzle on mine with a stock in tank pump. I also have a JMS boost a pump, which helped a little. I can run E70 with this combo.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:24 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Well, that's what I thought. I'm running E50 already on my stock pump. I'd just like the meth to give me a little extra insurance. My plan would not be to crank up the timing
Old 05-28-2019, 10:56 PM
rflow306
Racer

Well, that's what I thought. I'm running E50 already on my stock pump. I'd just like the meth to give me a little extra insurance. My plan would not be to crank up the timing
IMO If you are doing an upper and a lower pulley with the 1.7 blower the meth is a must to help cool the intake charge. I believe this is the only way to keep the car consistent in warmer climates, just my 2 cents.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:02 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

With my factory blower I had a twin nozzle set up and CPRs low side fuel pump and could run full E. I was 700rwhp with that set up. Highly recommend a bigger HX and expansion tank. It wont make you more power but it will help keep you from losing it when things get really hot at the track. Living in AZ at the time and the temps were over 100 for weeks on end, the cooling of meth was a great benefit. Now with the 2300, H/C, and supporting mods I can only get to about E50/meth before running out of fuel. With that set up I am pushing 870rwhp. There are pros and cons about where to put the meth tank. Most do the WW tank for convenience. I like the stealth look of the rear cubby install plus the ability to use wiper fluid at times is nice. I just used RainX on the windshield to help keep things from sticking during long drives. Another thing to consider is the ease of getting meth. Not every town has it. I am fortunate as the petroleum distributer here has it in the pump just like gas.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:11 PM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rflow306
The meth will definitely help the low side. I run a twin nozzle on mine with a stock in tank pump. I also have a JMS boost a pump, which helped a little. I can run E70 with this combo.
How little did the JMS help?
Old 05-29-2019, 05:19 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Interesting. I thought the meth would help support the low side, not tax it even more
It does I looked at my post and re-wrote it. The meth injection increases octane, cools the intake charge and replaces fuel from the low side that would otherwise be needed.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:40 PM
rflow306
Racer

Originally Posted by AZGASSER
With my factory blower I had a twin nozzle set up and CPRs low side fuel pump and could run full E. I was 700rwhp with that set up. Highly recommend a bigger HX and expansion tank. It wont make you more power but it will help keep you from losing it when things get really hot at the track. Living in AZ at the time and the temps were over 100 for weeks on end, the cooling of meth was a great benefit. Now with the 2300, H/C, and supporting mods I can only get to about E50/meth before running out of fuel. With that set up I am pushing 870rwhp. There are pros and cons about where to put the meth tank. Most do the WW tank for convenience. I like the stealth look of the rear cubby install plus the ability to use wiper fluid at times is nice. I just used RainX on the windshield to help keep things from sticking during long drives. Another thing to consider is the ease of getting meth. Not every town has it. I am fortunate as the petroleum distributer here has it in the pump just like gas.
Wow meth at the pump would be a dream come true. We buy it in 5 gallon tanks from VP locally. If i did a heat exchanger i would go with the Cordes like you.

Originally Posted by HNK
How little did the JMS help?
It helps, i was just expecting more.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:15 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Great stuff. Thanks guys!

Any worries or issues with fire or damage due to the methanol?
Old 05-30-2019, 12:10 AM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Using meth as fuel is NEVER a good idea.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:10 AM
Vette_z07
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am making 730whp on the blower, 790whp with a 50 shot, 870whp with a 150 shot on a mustang Dyno. Car is straight E85+direct port meth and has a wxm low side as well. The nitrous does have it's own dedicated fuel cell though lol

Meth is good
Old 05-30-2019, 07:23 AM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Vette_z07
I am making 730whp on the blower, 790whp with a 50 shot, 870whp with a 150 shot on a mustang Dyno. Car is straight E85+direct port meth and has a wxm low side as well. The nitrous does have it's own dedicated fuel cell though lol

Meth is good
Yep until you lose a pump or line pops. Your car, your call
The following users liked this post:
GeorgeR_Zed06 (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 07:43 AM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I’m getting ready to put the same pulley on as you. I’m currently running E50 but with NO METH. IAT2’s 100-110 doing back to back pulls. Running the factory low side at 15.5 volts thru the factory fuel controller the low side is running around 58psi at redline and not effecting the high side and injector millisecond are still in the low 5’s. I am going to put a JMS voltage booster on along with a Cordes heat exchanger when the 2.175 pulley goes on. I think if you are fine with E50 the LPE high side pump might get you by. I’m thinking another two volts and running 17.5 vs 15.5 should offset the 1-1.5 psi of boost increase. We will see. Going from stock voltage to 15.5 made up the difference and some on low side pressure going from 93 octane to E50. I’m going to see how the low side acts running the 2.175 and if it ends up holding I will replace the high side pump if it gives me problems.

current mods are
Halltech Ram Air
Cordes 5” intake
ported LT5 TB
Kong ported blower
2.38 LPE upper pulley
NX lid
160 stat
norcal cat delete
borla x pipe
BBE bi fusion exhaust
SMG flex fuel kit
Brisk Plugs
Granatelli Wires
Fasterproms thermal reduction plates

Last edited by CamOnlyJabroni; 05-30-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:37 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni
I’m getting ready to put the same pulley on as you. I’m currently running E50 but with NO METH. IAT2’s 100-110 doing back to back pulls. Running the factory low side at 15.5 volts thru the factory fuel controller the low side is running around 58psi at redline and not effecting the high side and injector millisecond are still in the low 5’s. I am going to put a JMS voltage booster on along with a Cordes heat exchanger when the 2.175 pulley goes on. I think if you are fine with E50 the LPE high side pump might get you by. I’m thinking another two volts and running 17.5 vs 15.5 should offset the 1-1.5 psi of boost increase. We will see. Going from stock voltage to 15.5 made up the difference and some on low side pressure going from 93 octane to E50. I’m going to see how the low side acts running the 2.175 and if it ends up holding I will replace the high side pump if it gives me problems.

current mods are
Halltech Ram Air
Cordes 5” intake
ported LT5 TB
Kong ported blower
2.38 LPE upper pulley
NX lid
160 stat
norcal cat delete
borla x pipe
BBE bi fusion exhaust
SMG flex fuel kit
Brisk Plugs
Granatelli Wires
Fasterproms thermal reduction plates

Your IAT2s are telling you nothing. You need to be logging Manifold air temp...(MAT)…. I guarantee you that your post blower intake temps are WAY higher then 110*….. Mine are 160* with dual M15/M10 nozzles...
Old 05-30-2019, 12:17 PM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Your IAT2s are telling you nothing. You need to be logging Manifold air temp...(MAT)…. I guarantee you that your post blower intake temps are WAY higher then 110*….. Mine are 160* with dual M15/M10 nozzles...
I will have to check. The car was happy enough to see 21-22 degrees of timing consistently on 93 octane before going to E50. Now the car is seeing 23-24.5. Have yet to see the car get spark knock on pump or E50 since it’s been tuned with its mods.

Get notified of new replies

To Alky meth kit with E50

Old 05-30-2019, 01:53 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni
I will have to check. The car was happy enough to see 21-22 degrees of timing consistently on 93 octane before going to E50. Now the car is seeing 23-24.5. Have yet to see the car get spark knock on pump or E50 since it’s been tuned with its mods.
Yeah I hear ya.... They are pretty knock resistant it seems on E85/meth. We have 28* in mine... Hopefully they don't skip the knock/KR stage and go straight to melt down. I guess we'll find out.

I think high IATs are just the way its going to be with the little 1.7 blower bricks. Meth definitely helps, although I don't see a huge temp drop from off boost MATs, it does seem to stop the climbing. I'm only running a 18% lower.. I can't imagine how high the IATs are on a cars with a 18% and 2.31 upper...
Old 05-30-2019, 02:04 PM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Yeah I hear ya.... They are pretty knock resistant it seems on E85/meth. We have 28* in mine... Hopefully they don't skip the knock/KR stage and go straight to melt down. I guess we'll find out.

I think high IATs are just the way its going to be with the little 1.7 blower bricks. Meth definitely helps, although I don't see a huge temp drop from off boost MATs, it does seem to stop the climbing. I'm only running a 18% lower.. I can't imagine how high the IATs are on a cars with a 18% and 2.31 upper...
I couldn’t tell you on the timing. I’m thinking mine is still pretty conservative considering the tables haven’t been touched. We were going to try and play with the multiplier in the table and basically give it max allowed timing for e85 on E50. Everyone is pretty tight lipped on the DI tuning which is holding the platform back in my opinion. Yea I’m sticking with 15% and doing enough fuel to at least run E50 and no more for me. Engines are fun torque monsters with the little guy on top.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:40 PM
rflow306
Racer

I really hate the MAT PID, lol. It has such a delay, I want to add a temp sensor that I can log via Hp tuners and try to figure out or understand the formula they use. With regards to timing on E fuels, imo every set-up is different. The engine likes what it likes, I tried higher than 24 on the dyno and it made the same power. I tried 25-26 degrees at the track and ran the same et but the log showed some knock at the top of 4th gear, this was with e70.

Quick Reply: Alky meth kit with E50