C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Bumper cover damaged during PDI

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 11:00 AM
StorminNorm
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bumper cover damaged during PDI

Got this from my salesman.

1) are there long term fitment issues?
2) paint match shouldn’t be an issue on a black car
3) do I walk?
4) do I ask for this for free or a discount?

Last edited by StorminNorm; 05-30-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:02 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Don’t take it.

Have them order you a new one under the exact same terms and conditions.

Or

ask for a bunch of free stuff or an extra 3k to 5k off for taking a repaired car.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 05-30-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:49 AM
NA FURY
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 42 Posts

Walk and order a new one. Do not take delivery of that car.

Last edited by NA FURY; 05-30-2019 at 11:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Vegas1500 (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 11:49 AM
SMG1
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

1. Is it a local dealer? The first thing I'd do is get over there asap to check it out myself or have him send you more pics (if not local) so you can see the extent of the damage (looks like bumper cover, wheel spat, and maybe wheel liner and undertray).
  2. Only you know how comfortable you are with having a brand new repaired car (it happens all the time; just depends how comfortable you are with it). I think it would also depend on how long the repair will take. Would I want it? No.
  3. They may compensate you with free items or a bigger discount, but don't be shocked if they're not willing to just give you the $4k ground effects package.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:02 PM
StorminNorm
Advanced

Ill see it tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the bumper cover has a vin on it?
Old 05-30-2019, 12:09 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

The easiest thing for anyone here to say is walk away, but of course there are issues with that. You would likely loose your deposit. You could make the attorneys some money and try to sue to get back your deposit but that would likely get you nothing but a bill from the attorney. Anything the dealership offers to do to make the car right will, in the courts eyes, make you whole. There is no loss of value because a bumper cover is replaced.....not in the eyes of any court. The fact that they told you about it tells you, you are dealing with a good dealership. They could have just told you the car is not ready or was delivered to the wrong dealership and done the repair in secret. But they told you and even sent a picture. I would suggest that you not try to punish the dealership for their honesty. I would not worry about paint match on a black car. I would also not expect to get thousands of dollars of free stuff. The inconvenience of this is worth a couple of hundred dollars at best. Remember they are paying to fix the car already, and all you are out is not having the car yet. No court would give you anything but the car you ordered and they would never award you anything for the inconvenience of not getting the car you ordered a few weeks late, or repaired.

I know it sucks that this happened. I am sure that it bothers you now that the car is being repaired, but once you get the car that will go away. I think the best course of action for you is to tell the dealership that you are bumbed that your new car needs to be repaired through no fault of your own, and see what they offer you. They sound like a good dealership and will try and make you happy. Work with them. Good luck.
The following 4 users liked this post by Road machine:
badhabit_wb (05-30-2019), Detroit_Bill (06-01-2019), Harbgrogan (05-30-2019), USMC 0802 (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 12:11 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,150 Likes on 5,984 Posts

I'd want to know if it was damaged in transport or if the PDI tech damaged it on the lift/rack.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:16 PM
StorminNorm
Advanced

I don’t have a deposit.

damaged as they unloaded it for PDI.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:19 PM
StorminNorm
Advanced

Originally Posted by Road machine
The easiest thing for anyone here to say is walk away, but of course there are issues with that. You would likely loose your deposit. You could make the attorneys some money and try to sue to get back your deposit but that would likely get you nothing but a bill from the attorney. Anything the dealership offers to do to make the car right will, in the courts eyes, make you whole. There is no loss of value because a bumper cover is replaced.....not in the eyes of any court. The fact that they told you about it tells you, you are dealing with a good dealership. They could have just told you the car is not ready or was delivered to the wrong dealership and done the repair in secret. But they told you and even sent a picture. I would suggest that you not try to punish the dealership for their honesty. I would not worry about paint match on a black car. I would also not expect to get thousands of dollars of free stuff. The inconvenience of this is worth a couple of hundred dollars at best. Remember they are paying to fix the car already, and all you are out is not having the car yet. No court would give you anything but the car you ordered and they would never award you anything for the inconvenience of not getting the car you ordered a few weeks late, or repaired.

I know it sucks that this happened. I am sure that it bothers you now that the car is being repaired, but once you get the car that will go away. I think the best course of action for you is to tell the dealership that you are bumbed that your new car needs to be repaired through no fault of your own, and see what they offer you. They sound like a good dealership and will try and make you happy. Work with them. Good luck.

Great response and I agree. I do not behave like some of my clients. I’m civil and understanding.

My car wash guy sprayed a $75 emblem off my Velar and told me about it. The emblem is bent and unusable. I didn’t dock him and I still use him. **** happens. My wheels get extra clean each time now. He still gets a nice tip.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:26 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by StorminNorm
I don’t have a deposit.

damaged as they unloaded it for PDI.
If they didn't make you put down a deposit then walk...what is the question here. Obviously you didn't special order the car if they didn't make you put a deposit down so go find one that isn't damaged, and buy it. But if you think they are going to give you some great deal for a car they can just as easily sell to the next guy, your dreaming.
The following 3 users liked this post by Road machine:
RapidC84B (05-30-2019), Vegas1500 (05-31-2019), VictorBarron (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 12:27 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,150 Likes on 5,984 Posts

I'd make no statements accepting the car. They have to repair it regardless. I would inspect the car post repair. Pay close attention to how the bumper fits the fenders and around the headlights and check the rockers and the kick panels for how the car was treated while in the body shop. Then I'd offer them whatever you feel is a sufficient discount for accepting a knowingly damaged/repaired new car. Black isn't always easy, the joke among painters is "black isn't black".

Good luck.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:01 PM
StorminNorm
Advanced

Seems the repair is being done by an external shop.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:36 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

I would NOT want a blend job on a brand new car. Their body shop may be wanting to do that...

They should be able to get a bumper cover pre-painted from the factory and have a tech throw it on in 2 hours.

Thats the route I would go.

Would not really bother me in the slightest(if they got a pre-painted cover from the factory). Keep all documents in case it comes up later when you sell or trade.

If this was a custom ordered car, you or may not be able to order another one.

Last edited by rjacobs; 05-30-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:17 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

OP, sorry your car was damaged in transit. I agree with Road Machine, it seems like a pretty good dealer by doing the right thing and letting you know their is some minor panel damage to the car in transit. I would certainly go take a look at it and do my own assessment as to whether it's really just minor damage or not. Lots of cars are damaged in transit in some way or another. IMO you are lucky the dealer at least let you know, I think a lot of dealers would probably just fix it, not say **** and deliver the car a few days late.
Go look at it, let the dealer fix it, then decide if you want to dump the deal. A good dealer (it sounds like they may be to me) will not let you walk away unhappy with your new car.

EX. my new Z didn't have the splitter installed and the side skirts were no where to be found when I got there to take delivery. The sales mgr. was obviously pissed at the back shop boys for bringing the car out for customer delivery that way. It took a couple hours extra to find the parts that actually went with the car ( off the lot car) and to have them installed. The dealer sent me across the street to a nice restaurant, bought me lunch while I waited. When they called me the car was spotless, all the correct parts installed along with complimentary nice GM ZO6 floor mats and a full GM ZO6 car cover for my trouble.
Give your dealer a shot at making it right -- most, but not all dealers are ********, as shown by the many positive reviews of the forum dealers.
StorminNorm (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 03:04 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 103 Posts

Lol @ "slightly damaged."
Old 05-30-2019, 03:36 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

If it is just the front bumper cover and no other panel damage, I wouldnt walk from the car. It is just a bumper cover. Talk to your salesman, the body shop manager and simply tell them, "Look - I'm gonna be nit picky with your repair. Take the time to do it RIGHT. Make ABSOLUTELY certain the repair and paint match is 100% PERFECT." I wont accept ANYTHING less than perfect. If you guys dont think you can meet or exceed my expectations, then order another car for me and you take possession of this car. That simple".

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2019, 06:53 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmith512
If it is just the front bumper cover and no other panel damage, I wouldnt walk from the car. It is just a bumper cover. Talk to your salesman, the body shop manager and simply tell them, "Look - I'm gonna be nit picky with your repair. Take the time to do it RIGHT. Make ABSOLUTELY certain the repair and paint match is 100% PERFECT." I wont accept ANYTHING less than perfect. If you guys dont think you can meet or exceed my expectations, then order another car for me and you take possession of this car. That simple".

Good luck!

If it isn't some special car OP ordered I dunno why you'd get a car that's been damaged at all and not just go grab a perfect one somewhere else. Just opens you up to finding blemishes later and thinking "I should have just gotten a different one."

Last edited by NinjaBum; 05-30-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bumper cover damaged during PDI

Old 05-30-2019, 06:58 PM
StorminNorm
Advanced

I am going to see the car tomorrow. I can inspect it with the bumper cover off and will take lots of pics. I told the dealer my concerns and asked for either the cf ground effects package or they pay for my tint, film and ceramic coating which my quote was about $3500.

If they turn they nose up, I’ll walk. If they come back somewhere in the middle, I’ll have to think about it.

It would have been impossible for them to hide this as I was supposed to meet them today to send the car to the detailed. They had confirmed it arrived yesterday.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:33 PM
StorminNorm
Advanced

The attitude from the dealer is basically ZERO allowance for what’s happened. Since I got supplier pricing already I guess that is supposed to make up for it.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:24 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by StorminNorm
The attitude from the dealer is basically ZERO allowance for what’s happened. Since I got supplier pricing already I guess that is supposed to make up for it.
Walk. Get another car. These c7z cars ain’t exactly selling like hot cakes. The dealer will have it on their inventory for some time.

supplier pricing ain’t that great a deal.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 05-30-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Vegas1500 (05-31-2019)

Quick Reply: Bumper cover damaged during PDI