C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Would wheel bend issue stop you from buying a Z06 ?

Old 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 113 Posts

I picked up my first C7 Z06 from MacMulkin and somehow made it back to VA without bending anything....LOL. No issues on another one after almost 15K miles.

Don't get freaked out by everything you read on the internet...if so you could never buy or own anything.....
Old 06-05-2019, 03:31 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Picture this in Admiral Blue with same wheels (stronger track version) carbon flash with red stripe and same centers - will be my car in about 11 or 12 days. Glad for all those who have not bent their wheels. Unfortunately, I have bent two of them after a couple of track outings (no off track incidents). This is my tenth Vette and God only knows how many cars I have owned over the years and NOT ONE BENT WHEEL prior. And many of them saw track time.

Love my 19 M7 2LZ Z06 so I just have to accept what is and make lemonade out of lemons...
Old 06-05-2019, 08:06 PM
elburrito99
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would not be turned away for three reasons:
  1. Chevy built 33,000+ C7 Z06s so far. I've not heard of an extraordinary number of bent or broken wheels for the C7 Z06.
  2. Bent or broken wheels for the C7 Z06 seem on par with owners' experience for other high-end cars with wide wheels (Porsche, Viper, etc.).
  3. No one has claimed the wheels spontaneously bend or break. Impact is the cause. And that is (largely) within the driver's control.

Last edited by elburrito99; 06-09-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:16 PM
Z06_Ruff
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 174 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Wouldn't stop me. It all boils down to the area you live in as far as pothole prone streets. Thankfully I don't have that concern. If you do you gotta learn to dodge and weave.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:53 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Contrary to most posts on this thread, If I knew the wheels would bend easily on any car I would not buy it. The car is a blast to drive and performance for the money can't be beat. I just don't want to waste time with the hassles chasing wheel issues. The wheels do bend easily and getting the warranty to be honored is a PITA. Repairing a wheel can weaken them more. I've replaced 3 and never hit potholes. The issue in Michigan is the ground-swell ridges on the highway that can't be avoided since they span the width of the road and slowing from 70MPH to a speed slow enough to not bend the wheels is dangerous with traffic. There is a good reason that forged wheels cost more than the OEM wheels and if you're good with adding that to the sale price, I'd say get the car. I have routes that I simply won't drive the car.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Svtracer14
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOh6Nut
Contrary to most posts on this thread, If I knew the wheels would bend easily on any car I would not buy it. The car is a blast to drive and performance for the money can't be beat. I just don't want to waste time with the hassles chasing wheel issues. The wheels do bend easily and getting the warranty to be honored is a PITA. Repairing a wheel can weaken them more. I've replaced 3 and never hit potholes. The issue in Michigan is the ground-swell ridges on the highway that can't be avoided since they span the width of the road and slowing from 70MPH to a speed slow enough to not bend the wheels is dangerous with traffic. There is a good reason that forged wheels cost more than the OEM wheels and if you're good with adding that to the sale price, I'd say get the car. I have routes that I simply won't drive the car.
I agree with you on this topic, although the wheel issue did not stop me from buy a new 2019. For a car that is in excess of $80K I would have gladly paid another $3-4K for a good set of forged wheels from the factory rather than rolling the dice with aluminum wheels that will bend or crack. My view is that I understand the problem and try to avoid potholes or hard hits as much as possible, but am also planning to replace the stock wheels with an aftermarket lighter forged wheel. I just need to find one that I really like and then I'll pull the trigger.

As mentioned by several others, perhaps part of the problem is 1) wheels are not forged 2) 25/30 series low profile tires that do not have much shock absorption and are run flats, 3) the general tight suspension on the car that could put more stress on the tire/wheel when impacting a pothole or imperfection in the road.
The following users liked this post:
ZeeOh6Nut (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 06:59 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

I went into the dealer Friday may 31 fully intending to buy the wheel tire protection, even for 3000 mile life expectancy cup 2's. But then the dealer asked me "do you want us to ship the second set of rims?'
Seems the dealer-installed wheel option on the Corvette Web page build sheet not only lightens your wallet by $3,740, it ships the Vette with the factory standard installed wheels with tires on them and the second set of four boxed rims. Dealer installed the custom rims with the cup 2s. So now I have four new standard rims and am debating installing my new as3+ tires on them. Suffice to say a) I didn't order that vette, but it was Sooooo choice for a nice price, and b) I drove off without buying a tire/wheel protection policy, since mine came with backups.

As far as driving it from the purchasing dealer, 710 miles of less than perfect interstate over June 1/2. first oil change/differential fluid check and front/rear alignment to factory specs visit on june 4 did not find any bent rims, fingers crossed.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 06-07-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would wheel bend issue stop you from buying a Z06 ?