C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

PDR - would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 12:40 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Default PDR - would you do it again?

I’ve got a couple more hours to decide whether or not I want to add this to my build. I won’t track the car other than a few HDPEs. I do like to take spirited drives on rural, twisty roads.

1. What does sound interesting to me is Valet mode. If the “valet” has the knowledge, can they turn off Valet mode, or is there a password ( set by the owner) that prevents this?

2. I also like the idea of a dash cam, in the event of “he said - he said” accident disputes.

3. is it a big plus on resale? I normally don’t consider resale when spec’ing a car, I’ll keep it at least 6 years, and maybe 11 years like the C6 I just sold.

4. and other than that, is it worth the coin?
Old 06-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I am doing 4 track days a year and I think it is worth it. There is a tremendous amount of data in addition to the video.

I believe there is a password for valet mode. If you give your keys to a valet, you are nuts.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:05 PM
7spd
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 58 Posts

I had PDR on my 17 ZL1 and used it primarily as a dash cam. Don't have it on my 19 Z06 and don't really care either. If I decide I have to have one, there are plenty of aftermarket options to choose from.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:57 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

I have the PDR and love it. I use it primarily as a dash cam, but it as far more info than the average dash cam offers.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:00 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

An absolute yes
Old 06-03-2019, 02:06 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by Detroit_Bill
I am doing 4 track days a year and I think it is worth it. There is a tremendous amount of data in addition to the video.

I believe there is a password for valet mode. If you give your keys to a valet, you are nuts.
LOL Bill. I NEVER valet park my Corvettes. This would only be for the PPF / window tint install and when going to the Dealership if I HAVE to take it on. Note, I do all my own maintenance but sometimes something fails that only a dealer can fix.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:12 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

There will be times when activating it are handy and entertaining. It records the voices and music inside the cabin crystal clear.

Catching someone screaming on tape as you drive quickly, always makes for a good laugh later. Or, perhaps you catch on tape when someone admits something while you have a serious chat while you are driving. Maybe you get next to a Koenigsegg or Bugatti on the open road and want to record what happens next. I am throwing out the other instances other than the obvious ones you are already aware of.

It is great for resale, as many people buying used ones must have the option as they intend to track the car.

Edit: it is also great for proving your car has a problem, if it has a problem, that the dealer can't replicate... you can record it on tape, and they can go back and see the time of the problem and figure it all out much easier as they have a timeline in the computer to compare to

Last edited by bbbvettes.com; 06-03-2019 at 02:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbbvettes.com:
kenownr (06-04-2019), Lyn Go Fast (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 02:21 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by bbbvettes.com
There will be times when activating it are handy and entertaining. It records the voices and music inside the cabin crystal clear.

Catching someone screaming on tape as you drive quickly, always makes for a good laugh later. Or, perhaps you catch on tape when someone admits something while you have a serious chat while you are driving. Maybe you get next to a Koenigsegg or Bugatti on the open road and want to record what happens next. I am throwing out the other instances other than the obvious ones you are already aware of.

It is great for resale, as many people buying used ones must have the option as they intend to track the car.

Edit: it is also great for proving your car has a problem, if it has a problem, that the dealer can't replicate... you can record it on tape, and they can go back and see the time of the problem and figure it all out much easier as they have a timeline in the computer to compare to

Great feedback. Thank you.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:29 PM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

A must have for track days
Old 06-03-2019, 02:32 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

PDR - would you do it again? Yes, I did. Had it in my 2017 Z06 A8 and ordered it in my 2019 Z06 M7. I use it as a dash cam and using the Cosworth toolkit (free software) to playback gives you access to a world of information. I am sure there are aftermarket solutions that may be better for some people, but this is all integrated. You also get the NAV with it, although that might be a negative selling point for some people on here. Keep in mind that the PDR session must be terminated normally, either by the prompts or by shutting off the car normally, so it may not do what you need if somebody hits you. It also does not record behind you. Good luck with your order. EDIT: the car must be on for it to record. It won't record vandalism in a parking lot. Also, the valet mode does not record voice.

Last edited by Null Pointer; 06-03-2019 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bbbvettes.com (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 02:44 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by Null Pointer
PDR - would you do it again? Yes, I did. Had it in my 2017 Z06 A8 and ordered it in my 2019 Z06 M7. I use it as a dash cam and using the Cosworth toolkit (free software) to playback gives you access to a world of information. I am sure there are aftermarket solutions that may be better for some people, but this is all integrated. You also get the NAV with it, although that might be a negative selling point for some people on here. Keep in mind that the PDR session must be terminated normally, either by the prompts or by shutting off the car normally, so it may not do what you need if somebody hits you. It also does not record behind you. Good luck with your order. EDIT: the car must be on for it to record. It won't record vandalism in a parking lot. Also, the valet mode does not record voice.

Great info. Thanks

I just added it to my order !
Old 06-03-2019, 03:05 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

A friend of mine and another friend of mine... the night they met. He ends up teaching her to kite surf the next day.

She now owns a zr1. This video was shot over a few years ago, the statute of limitations is up on any crimes committed.

If corvette were smart, they would track this girl down and have her be the spokesperson for vette in a short film/youtube/advertisment... she's been practicing and is becoming quite the driver.

She is 6 ft tall, a literal supermodel in looks, and her father is way high up in the russian gov't, 6'4 badass guy.

He taught her and her sister to shoot guns at age 6, and by age 12, they were using large hunting rifles.

We nicknamed her Maleficent, but she is a sweetheart. Very intelligent, very wise. You can send her into a room, and she can have any guy you tell her to target, inviting her on his private jet to another country within 10 min of them meeting. She is a weapon

But the moral of the story is, you never know what you will catch on your PDR. She knows this was recorded, she was shown immediately after, but she did not know at the time.

This was her first ride in a vette:

Last edited by bbbvettes.com; 06-04-2019 at 03:36 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:09 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Yes. It’s fun to play with for some good video. However I have a real dashcam that runs all the time including while parked.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

I use it all the time as a dash cam. Yes it is not on all the time but it is great for recording your nice rides.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:43 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

A friend of mine and another friend of mine... the night they met. He ends up teaching her to kite surf the next day.

She now owns a zr1. This video was shot over a few years ago, the statute of limitations is up on any crimes committed.

If corvette were smart, they would track this girl down and have her be the spokesperson for vette in a short film/youtube/advertisment... she's been practicing and is becoming quite the driver.

She is 6 ft tall, a literal supermodel in looks, and her father is way high up in the russian gov't, 6'4 badass guy.

He taught her and her sister to shoot guns at age 6, and by age 12, they were using large hunting rifles.

We nicknamed her Maleficent, but she is a sweetheart. Very intelligent, very wise. You can send her into a room, and she can have any guy you tell her to target, inviting her on his private jet to another country within 10 min of them meeting. She is a weapon

But the moral of the story is, you never know what you will catch on your PDR. She knows this was recorded, she was shown immediately after, but she did not know at the time.

This was her first ride in a vette:

https://youtu.be/UWnisj2zGeo

https://youtu.be/6xOqMXDPFmw
can we get the cliff notes? What did she say that was incriminating, and at what minute mark?
Old 06-03-2019, 04:08 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

I was referencing the speed limit being broken at the 1:18 mark

Last edited by bbbvettes.com; 06-03-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:48 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

I was referencing the speed limit being broken at the 1:18 mark

ok. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To PDR - would you do it again?

Old 06-03-2019, 05:22 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I have it. Other then experiment with it a couple of times when I first got the car. I don’t use it. As another said you can use it as s dash cam. I have a data card that can record up to 18 hours. Maybe I’ll start using that more often. The car has a lot of little tech features - you can look at it all like a good thing or an annoyance
Old 06-03-2019, 05:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You may not use the PDR but it does have an impact on resale. A certain percentage of people looking at used Corvettes will be interested in using the car on track. The PDR is just about the best data acquisition product you can get for the price. There are aftermarket systems that cost more and don't provide as much especially the integration of data with video. The Cosworth Toolbox and Pi Tool Set software allow the user to look at a lot of different sets of data while the car was on track. This can be helpful in figuring out how to improve your driving. Just take a look at the YouTube videos that Poor-Sha has done on Why did I Crash where he analyzes what various drivers did before the big ooops.

The lack of a PDR may not bring the used car price down much but there will definitely be fewer people interested once they hear it doesn't have a PDR, they will move on to the cars that do have it. The PDR can not be installed after the car is built so somebody can't just buy some parts and add it.

Bill
Old 06-03-2019, 06:10 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You may not use the PDR but it does have an impact on resale. A certain percentage of people looking at used Corvettes will be interested in using the car on track. The PDR is just about the best data acquisition product you can get for the price. There are aftermarket systems that cost more and don't provide as much especially the integration of data with video. The Cosworth Toolbox and Pi Tool Set software allow the user to look at a lot of different sets of data while the car was on track. This can be helpful in figuring out how to improve your driving. Just take a look at the YouTube videos that Poor-Sha has done on Why did I Crash where he analyzes what various drivers did before the big ooops.

The lack of a PDR may not bring the used car price down much but there will definitely be fewer people interested once they hear it doesn't have a PDR, they will move on to the cars that do have it. The PDR can not be installed after the car is built so somebody can't just buy some parts and add it.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Good points. I had the same thoughts on resale (not that I normally give that a lot of weight). You confirmed what I was thinking. When the time comes to sell, it’s nice to be able to sell quickly and not deal with the tire kickers !

I did did a search on PDR. Once I read the threads, it sounded like a cool electronic gadget to play with. Not to mention the valet mode.

Last edited by need-for-speed; 06-03-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: PDR - would you do it again?