C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

LT4 supercharger intercooler bricks question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 12:53 PM
SGT_G
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
Default LT4 supercharger intercooler bricks question

Has anyone ever seen a failure on these new bricks causing outbound flow to be severely depleted?

I've been trying to diagnose this issue for months and it looks like I've isolated it to the bricks. My heat exchanger pump does not cavitate. When I pull off my inlet hose to the supercharger and run it into my expansion tank with the car off, I have full pressure. However,.once all is reconnected, I have almost nothing coming back out into the expansion tank. I've pulled the bricks and used water and air pressure to see if any blockage was present but nothing changed.

I'm fairly confident that no significant amount of air is present in the system as flow is good all the way to the inlet of the supercharger.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:17 PM
us3rname
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 106 Posts

Have you pulled the black manifold that the sending and return lines connect to and inspect for blockage?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:59 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Make sure that almost all of the air is out of the tank. I think they recommended a bubble the size of a quarter. The pump will cavitate if there is too much air in the tank if you drive aggressively.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:09 PM
SGT_G
Pro

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Make sure that almost all of the air is out of the tank. I think they recommended a bubble the size of a quarter. The pump will cavitate if there is too much air in the tank if you drive aggressively.

I run my pump through hp tuners for upwards of 45 minutes and the pump does not ever shutdown
Old 06-05-2019, 02:28 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

What issues are you having?
Old 06-05-2019, 02:46 PM
SGT_G
Pro

What issues are you having?
Almost no fluid flow on the outbound point of the supercharger Into my expansion tank. Manifold air temps climb to 170-190 while driving normal and will Spike to 220 or higher under sustained boost
Old 06-05-2019, 02:49 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

I've never measured the outbound flow on mine but until I got almost all of the air out of my tank I had reduced power off and on. It didn't throw any cel's but it still killed the power.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:00 PM
SGT_G
Pro

I've never measured the outbound flow on mine but until I got almost all of the air out of my tank I had reduced power off and on. It didn't throw any cel's but it still killed the power.
I've already purged the air with the help of a shop. When I pull the inlet hose, you can see and feel that the pump is pushing fluid at full pressure into the blower. But again almost nothing is coming out. I have replacement bricks coming in today, so hopefully that's the issue
Old 06-05-2019, 03:05 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Keep us posted.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:10 PM
us3rname
Pro

I don't think the pump varies it's out put based on how you are driving it at least the way mine is set up it doesn't. Also, the OP said he had an expansion tank (assuming its a secondary) so at least in my experience that bubble in the lower reservoir isn't that big of a deal as long as the ports on the oem tank are both submerged. With numbers like that you definitely have something going on. Lately mine have been 98ish crusing and 120 under sustain boost with methanol and about 148ish sustained without methanol @ 88deg ambient. I'm using a secondary expansion tank, Varimax pump(always on), Cordes XH and the pre 2017 supercharger. I cant think of anything else it would be other than an obstruction in the coolant path within the supercharger itself. Hope you figure it out and please let us know what the cause was when you do!
Old 06-05-2019, 08:06 PM
SGT_G
Pro

As an update, I swapped the bricks and water manifold. As a result, I have coolant flow again out of the supercharger into the expansion tank. My manifold temps drops quicker now and sustained boost doesn't send me over 200.

I did all my tests in 90+ degree ambient temperature with half my expansion tank empty and air in the system. Will update again once I get the intercooler loop purged
Old 06-05-2019, 08:16 PM
us3rname
Pro

Great news! Did you get the bricks new and if so would you mid sharing where from?
Old 06-05-2019, 08:51 PM
SGT_G
Pro

Originally Posted by us3rname
Great news! Did you get the bricks new and if so would you mid sharing where from?
Pretty much new and it came out of a take off supercharger from Callaway. Its a 18 or 19 and I had to get the whole blower. They sold it to me for 1700 with pretty much no miles on it. In fact the blower will be for sale soon lol.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:45 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

They're good guys to deal with. What year is your car? If it's a 15 or 16 I'd use the whole blower on the car. It will perform better.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:01 PM
SGT_G
Pro

They're good guys to deal with. What year is your car? If it's a 15 or 16 I'd use the whole blower on the car. It will perform better.
They are and i have a 17 which is why I needed a 17 or newer blower.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:47 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Gotcha.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:05 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Glad you got it figured out.

Once you install an aftermarket ice tank, the air-space on top of the factory reservoir means nothing. The majority of the fluid the pump is pulling in, is now coming directly out of the ice tank. This works best because the tank is directly on top of the pump and the extra weight pushes it through the impeller a lot better than when it pulled from the opposite end of the car.

As long as your pump is moving a full column of fluid, any air trapped in the system (post pump) will end up at the top of the ice tank. Every now and then, you should notice a small amount of pressure when you open the lid. Just make sure the fluid coming into the ice tank has a good flow.

Get notified of new replies

To LT4 supercharger intercooler bricks question

Quick Reply: LT4 supercharger intercooler bricks question