C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

P0228 & P0089 codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 01:05 PM
SGT_G
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
Default P0228 & P0089 codes

I finally got my supercharger cooling issue fixed. Now this morning while it was cool and my manifold temps were below the timing pulling threshold, I did a data log with a pull up to 170 where I was starting to chug and ultimately went into reduced power mode due to low fuel pressure. Car dynoed 681/788 with bolt ons, E85 and water meth. I feel like with the cooling fixed and the cool ambient temperature, my car was pushing past the fuel threshold on the current tune.

Thoughts? Do y'all think I need to upgrade the low side? It doesn't seem like I'm making enough power to run out of fuel just yet
The following users liked this post:
bbbvettes.com (06-08-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 01:42 PM
us3rname
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT_G
I finally got my supercharger cooling issue fixed. Now this morning while it was cool and my manifold temps were below the timing pulling threshold, I did a data log with a pull up to 170 where I was starting to chug and ultimately went into reduced power mode due to low fuel pressure. Car dynoed 681/788 with bolt ons, E85 and water meth. I feel like with the cooling fixed and the cool ambient temperature, my car was pushing past the fuel threshold on the current tune.

Thoughts? Do y'all think I need to upgrade the low side? It doesn't seem like I'm making enough power to run out of fuel just yet
If you were running e85 during that pull there is a strong chance you are running out of fuel.

Last edited by us3rname; 06-07-2019 at 01:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jcdives (06-21-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 02:12 PM
SGT_G
Pro

Originally Posted by us3rname
If you were running e85 during that pull there is a strong chance you are running out of fuel.
I was running E50 and yeah my tuner said my low side was strained and my high side could take damage if I keep running it at it's limit.

Keep in mind this only occurred now that I have all my power back from getting proper cooling in my supercharger.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:21 PM
us3rname
Pro

Mine said the same thing when I asked him about running e85. I haven't had any issues running without it but I've also only had mine up to 150. What were your IAT'S during that pull?
Old 06-07-2019, 02:30 PM
SGT_G
Pro

Mine said the same thing when I asked him about running e85. I haven't had any issues running without it but I've also only had mine up to 150. What were your IAT'S during that pull?
So to give you a comparison, before I replaced my intercooler bricks, cruising manifold temps would be 170ish while a single pull would take me well over 200. It took forever to figure out the cause of that issue.

Now my manifold air temp will stay around 130-140 when it's 75 or below outside and get to 160ish when hotter. That pull this morning took me from 135-148. I do still have some air in the system but it's doing so much better now.

Actual IAT and IAT2 are below a 100 but those temps don't pull timing.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:29 PM
us3rname
Pro

Gonna take a look at my logs this evening and see if I've been logging MAT. I keep forgetting there may be some differences with mine since it's an lt1 with lt4 blower and it maybe that all I have to go off of is IAT2. Still trying to learn this stuff.

An idea I've been throwing around today is branching off the methanol supply line to a nitrous solenoid to another nozzle to be fired later in the pull. I might be way left field with that idea but it might be a cool experiment.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:50 PM
SGT_G
Pro

Gonna take a look at my logs this evening and see if I've been logging MAT. I keep forgetting there may be some differences with mine since it's an lt1 with lt4 blower and it maybe that all I have to go off of is IAT2. Still trying to learn this stuff.

An idea I've been throwing around today is branching off the methanol supply line to a nitrous solenoid to another nozzle to be fired later in the pull. I might be way left field with that idea but it might be a cool experiment.
I don't know the exact PID for it but it's separate from IAT and IAT2
Old 06-08-2019, 12:31 AM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

I am beyond positive your low side fuel system needs an additional pump. And once that is done, your high side fuel system will be fine.

Your other option is to run port injection with the single pump you have now. (expensive, you don't need it unless you plan to make 800whp later, but you would still need the additional low side pump at that point, so may as wall just do the additional pump first)

There are plenty of kits, now you just have to decide do you want a second pump to be outside your tank, or do you want to lower your tank and put a double pump hanger in there from Fore (juiced motorsports would be your vendor, or Crawford racing, among many others)

The reason e-85 makes a difference in this issue is not its cooling characteristics. E 85 contains less energy per volume. The flex fuel sensor calculates for this, and to make 700hp on e85 requires more fuel pumped than 700hp with normal gasoline.

Thus, the e85 causes your pump to reach its max sooner, your in-tank pump is exhausted, it needs a helper.

That's all. Keep running e85 and get an additional low side fuel pump.

ps, its p0228C

Last edited by bbbvettes.com; 06-08-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To P0228 & P0089 codes

Quick Reply: P0228 & P0089 codes