C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Car stumbling after 1-2 shift, TCS/ESC light blinks

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 06:37 PM
2ZORNOT2Z
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 259 Posts

Default Car stumbling after 1-2 shift, TCS/ESC light blinks

Hi folks,

Newbie question, apologies, I did search but can't find this particular answer. I've had my C7 Z06 for a couple weeks now and just noticed something that seems different from what I've seen before in my short experience with the car. I should also say I'm still in the pre-500 mile break-in period and it is high 80s here today, first really warm day I've driven the car, other days have been in 60-75 degree weather. I am not trying to beat on the car, patiently waiting for the 500 mile mark, but when running up to 4k in 1st, shifting to 2nd quickly and going back on the throttle I see the TCS/ESC light pop on and the car stumbles a bit (acceleration is paused basically) before lighting my hair on fire again. I don't feel the wheels spinning after letting the clutch out in 2nd and I'm pointed straight so it seems like TCS is limiting all wheel spin. I've tried switching from tour to sport and still don't feel like the car is allowing any wheel spin on that 1-2 shift. Is this a break-in thing that will get better or is this always how the car behaves when its 80+ degrees outside? Seems like this would be an issue at the drag strip if one left TCS on. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 06-08-2019, 08:04 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ZORNOT2Z
Hi folks,

Newbie question, apologies, I did search but can't find this particular answer. I've had my C7 Z06 for a couple weeks now and just noticed something that seems different from what I've seen before in my short experience with the car. I should also say I'm still in the pre-500 mile break-in period and it is high 80s here today, first really warm day I've driven the car, other days have been in 60-75 degree weather. I am not trying to beat on the car, patiently waiting for the 500 mile mark, but when running up to 4k in 1st, shifting to 2nd quickly and going back on the throttle I see the TCS/ESC light pop on and the car stumbles a bit (acceleration is paused basically) before lighting my hair on fire again. I don't feel the wheels spinning after letting the clutch out in 2nd and I'm pointed straight so it seems like TCS is limiting all wheel spin. I've tried switching from tour to sport and still don't feel like the car is allowing any wheel spin on that 1-2 shift. Is this a break-in thing that will get better or is this always how the car behaves when its 80+ degrees outside? Seems like this would be an issue at the drag strip if one left TCS on. Thanks in advance for any advice!
My advice would be to stop screwing around until you have at least passed 1K or so miles. The break in period has to do with breaking in the gear mesh not the engine. The 500 mile oil change is to eliminate some of the sealant which gets into the oil after initial assembly at the factory.

Aside from that if you re getting a TCS light you are spinning the wheels. Full throttle application in these cars will light up the stock tires in 1st all the time in any weather. They will also light up in 2nd and 3rd depending on the road and tire temperatures.
The following users liked this post:
Road machine (06-10-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 08:04 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

its TCS/Stability control.

There is really no difference in the intervention of the nannies between weather, eco, tour, sport and track. Its pretty aggressive in all of these modes. Only once you get into PTM sub-modes in track mode do the nannies have lower levels of intervention.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:45 AM
2ZORNOT2Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
My advice would be to stop screwing around until you have at least passed 1K or so miles. The break in period has to do with breaking in the gear mesh not the engine. The 500 mile oil change is to eliminate some of the sealant which gets into the oil after initial assembly at the factory.
I wouldn’t say I’m “screwing around”, what I was trying to get across is the car was behaving differently than the first hundred miles. I’ve driven the same was for the past week and never had this stumbling happen. I’m not doing full throttle anything, just trying to get used to the car. I understand the break-in process. Shifting out of 1st at 4K rpms the TCS light was coming on as soon as I let out on the clutch with maybe 50% throttle applied max. No more than was applied in 1st with no wheel spin. Sounds like the car thought there would be wheel spin so it was reducing power but my understanding was the car should allow a small amount of wheel spin before jumping in. Maybe not or maybe it’s so good I just couldn’t feel it.

I was just curious if that’s normal behavior so I need to learn to use less throttle on the 1-2 as I let out the clutch or maybe it was just the heat since it was high 80s. Tires and engine were up to temp.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:37 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Happened to me a couple of times in my newtome Z06. I believe it's slight wheel spin from loss of traction. It gets exarcebated by the traction control or else you'd never feel it. It didn't happen with my supercharged z51, even if wheel spin was happening it never stumbled like the Z06.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:57 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 775 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

I wouldn’t say I’m “screwing around”, what I was trying to get across is the car was behaving differently than the first hundred miles. I’ve driven the same was for the past week and never had this stumbling happen. I’m not doing full throttle anything, just trying to get used to the car. I understand the break-in process. Shifting out of 1st at 4K rpms the TCS light was coming on as soon as I let out on the clutch with maybe 50% throttle applied max. No more than was applied in 1st with no wheel spin. Sounds like the car thought there would be wheel spin so it was reducing power but my understanding was the car should allow a small amount of wheel spin before jumping in. Maybe not or maybe it’s so good I just couldn’t feel it.

I was just curious if that’s normal behavior so I need to learn to use less throttle on the 1-2 as I let out the clutch or maybe it was just the heat since it was high 80s. Tires and engine were up to temp.
I know you're not the only one to "punch" a new Corvette before the 500 mi. was up, seriously who could resist? The Forum can be a tough place sometimes but generally a good place fo get answers. Enjoy your new Z06!
Old 06-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

If you are getting those lights you are screwing around and you will be the one to pay when your rear end goes bad and you have to break the gears in again. Sounds like you are hammering the clutch and getting wheel spin, which means you just put the absolute maximum force on your rear end. The rear is not broken in for 1500 miles. Be an adult and wait to hammer the car....go for some long rides on the highway or just be patient.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:43 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Road machine
If you are getting those lights you are screwing around and you will be the one to pay when your rear end goes bad and you have to break the gears in again. Sounds like you are hammering the clutch and getting wheel spin, which means you just put the absolute maximum force on your rear end. The rear is not broken in for 1500 miles. Be an adult and wait to hammer the car....go for some long rides on the highway or just be patient.
Be an adult and recognize others are adults too. Answer the questions or shut up. He didn't ask if you thought it was good or not to press the gas before 500 miles.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 06-10-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:41 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

Lol.

My car had 2 miles on it when I did a 2nd gear WOT pull on it to 4000rpm(probably broke the tires loose). I think I scared the sales guy. Did about 30 WOT pulls with engine braking decel in 3rd to 4000 to help seat the rings...

My car had about 400 miles on it when did a few WOT pulls to redline.

After the 500 mile oil change it was game on...

I auto-x'd it with 625 miles on it(and temp tags) and beat the dog snot out of it...

I am almost at 1000 miles and plan to do another oil change and change the rear diff fluid.

I have never done a "gentle" break in on any engine.

Rear ends are broken in at 500 miles... ive set enough gears in straight axle's... never seen a gear manufacturer recommend anything other than 500 mile break in, pull the cover and inspect, and refill with good gear oil. If GM gears need 1500 miles for break in they are dog ****... hint: they are not dog ****.
The following users liked this post:
BearZ06 (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 12:53 PM
2ZORNOT2Z
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the support, folks.
Originally Posted by rjacobs
Lol.

My car had 2 miles on it when I did a 2nd gear WOT pull on it to 4000rpm(probably broke the tires loose). I think I scared the sales guy. Did about 30 WOT pulls with engine braking decel in 3rd to 4000 to help seat the rings...

My car had about 400 miles on it when did a few WOT pulls to redline.

After the 500 mile oil change it was game on...

I auto-x'd it with 625 miles on it(and temp tags) and beat the dog snot out of it...

I am almost at 1000 miles and plan to do another oil change and change the rear diff fluid.

I have never done a "gentle" break in on any engine.

Rear ends are broken in at 500 miles... ive set enough gears in straight axle's... never seen a gear manufacturer recommend anything other than 500 mile break in, pull the cover and inspect, and refill with good gear oil. If GM gears need 1500 miles for break in they are dog ****... hint: they are not dog ****.
rjacobs, I tend to break my cars in like you - I'm more concerned with the rings seating properly so that's exactly why I like to run it to 4k rpms with a heavy foot through 1st and 2nd. I've had many high horsepower cars, broke them all in the same, and not one ever leaked oil or smoked at all, no motor issues even after 70k miles on a few of them. The owner's manual does say no hard launches until 1500 miles which I can understand but I'm not launching the car hard or dropping the clutch from 4k rpms at a light, I'm just shifting into 2nd, letting out the clutch, and pushing on the gas pedal. I haven't seen the car light up the TCS/ESC light in the last few days so I'm starting to wonder if there was just something on the tires that day maybe. My detailer had just finished the PPF and ceramic earlier that day and he did dress the wheels. Nothing obvious to me on anything but the sidewalls, I checked before leaving his shop, but who knows what was on the floor of the shop when he drove it out. All seems good now, I appreciate the help everyone!
Old 06-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Be an adult and recognize others are adults too. Answer the questions or shut up. He didn't ask if you thought it was good or not to press the gas before 500 miles.
I would be glad to shut up if idiots like you didn't later complain that their car is broken and GM sucks. Do what you want, but I always recommend braking it in like the engineers who designed the car advise. But I know people like you know way better until you don't. Bye.

Get notified of new replies

To Car stumbling after 1-2 shift, TCS/ESC light blinks

Quick Reply: Car stumbling after 1-2 shift, TCS/ESC light blinks