Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Z06 Z07 A8 overheating

Old 06-09-2019, 09:49 PM
Pluggzz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so it looks like the Dewitts kit did just come out...I think I will end up getting that.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:35 AM
Pluggzz

This
is minutes before it overheated. This is only my second time out on a track and you can see the car was not full out. I could see where maybe short shifting could help possibly...but also I don't feel like its something I should have to or honestly want to do.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:39 AM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 138 Likes on 102 Posts

you will have air in your tank if the car overheated driving like that. Once that is fixed, you will have more room. You will still overheat, but you will have to drive a lot harder than that, or be in much higher ambient temps to make it occur.
The following users liked this post:
cvp33 (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 06:41 AM
Pluggzz

Originally Posted by bbbvettes.com View Post
you will have air in your tank if the car overheated driving like that. Once that is fixed, you will have more room. You will still overheat, but you will have to drive a lot harder than that, or be in much higher ambient temps to make it occur.
Cool, thanks...I'll look into getting that situated then.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:50 AM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Pluggzz View Post
Cool, thanks...I'll look into getting that situated then.
Make sure you put the car on a steep incline, otherwise you are wasting your time trying. The car must be tilted.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-video-13.html

Pluggzz (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Lasco001
CF Senior Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

@Pluggzz
We have already converted a lot of Z06 for the racetrack.
No matter which model you have, the automatic always has problems with the water temperature.
I am happy to give you the following tips:

Turn on with manual, please speed maximum 5600-5800
If you invest in cooling:
First, think very well what they are doing.
Get in touch with a professional company, which also looks after many customers on the racetrack, they know exactly what it's all about. I recommend you invest properly 8-10000 and you will really enjoy and enjoy your Corvette Z06 on the racetrack

Cölestin

Old 06-10-2019, 11:07 AM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

This clip is minutes before it overheated. This is only my second time out on a track and you can see the car was not full out. I could see where maybe short shifting could help possibly...but also I don't feel like its something I should have to or honestly want to do.
So no insult intended here, but I just watched your video, and I think you are causing the overheat. You are running the car to red line all the time.....in the auto you shift at 5500....and it is faster that way. You said you did not use the manual mode yet I saw a few weird up shifts and down shifts. Perhaps it was caused by how you were hitting the gas, but you can also shift in auto mode if you hit the paddles....do you think that maybe you were hitting them??
I know this was an issue with the earlier cars (2016) but I also was led to believe that the overheating really only happened at elevated temps (above 80), and you say it happened at 70. I drove the automatic at spring mountain (2019) and never saw any elevated temps. It was only in the mid to upper 70s when I was there. I am not sure about the track you were on but at Spring mountain you only go down to third gear in one or two slow sections....you are in third for most of the track....4th might be the better gear, except for a few slow turns.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Pluggzz

Originally Posted by Road machine View Post
So no insult intended here, but I just watched your video, and I think you are causing the overheat. You are running the car to red line all the time.....in the auto you shift at 5500....and it is faster that way. You said you did not use the manual mode yet I saw a few weird up shifts and down shifts. Perhaps it was caused by how you were hitting the gas, but you can also shift in auto mode if you hit the paddles....do you think that maybe you were hitting them??
I know this was an issue with the earlier cars (2016) but I also was led to believe that the overheating really only happened at elevated temps (above 80), and you say it happened at 70. I drove the automatic at spring mountain (2019) and never saw any elevated temps. It was only in the mid to upper 70s when I was there. I am not sure about the track you were on but at Spring mountain you only go down to third gear in one or two slow sections....you are in third for most of the track....4th might be the better gear, except for a few slow turns.
No insult taken...I appreciate your input and I'll keep that in mind next time. No, I did not use the paddles and did not hit on accident...although I know what you mean by a couple of those questionable times when its was down/upshifting or responding that way from the throttle.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

No insult taken...I appreciate your input and I'll keep that in mind next time. No, I did not use the paddles and did not hit on accident...although I know what you mean by a couple of those questionable times when its was down/upshifting or responding that way from the throttle.
On the track you should be in manual mode. Were you in track mode and if so Sport 1 or sport 2? You should not be overheating at temps in the 70s....a few adjustments to how you drive the car should help a lot. good luck.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:10 PM
Pluggzz

On the track you should be in manual mode. Were you in track mode and if so Sport 1 or sport 2? You should not be overheating at temps in the 70s....a few adjustments to how you drive the car should help a lot. good luck.
Sounds good, thanks...yeah I'm a newbie and this was only second time out. And yes it was in sport 1.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:24 PM
Reidar94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So your "solution" is to short shift to prevent OH? It's just a really crappy design and it's not a "track ready" car at all! Don't even know why GM keeps spinning the sales and marketing that way. You pay that much for a "high performance track car" it better work 100% and should handle shifting even at redline. Had the new ZL1 drove it like crazy on track, everything overheated! Tranny, oil, water and power steering shut off and it became a brick on wheels barely able to control (almost hit a wall cuz of it).
And having to spend extra to manage heat to be able to drive on the track is ridiculous when its "track ready".
Just bite the bullet and get a GT3 and u'll be running circles around everyone all day during track days. Only thing you'll need is fuel and pads.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:03 PM
Pluggzz

Originally Posted by Reidar94 View Post
So your "solution" is to short shift to prevent OH? It's just a really crappy design and it's not a "track ready" car at all! Don't even know why GM keeps spinning the sales and marketing that way. You pay that much for a "high performance track car" it better work 100% and should handle shifting even at redline. Had the new ZL1 drove it like crazy on track, everything overheated! Tranny, oil, water and power steering shut off and it became a brick on wheels barely able to control (almost hit a wall cuz of it).
And having to spend extra to manage heat to be able to drive on the track is ridiculous when its "track ready".
Just bite the bullet and get a GT3 and u'll be running circles around everyone all day during track days. Only thing you'll need is fuel and pads.
While I do agree with most of that, I also don't think most people can afford a GT3, myself included.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Reidar94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I do agree with most of that, I also don't think most people can afford a GT3, myself included.
Of course I understand that, but I'm saying the people paying $120k for a new Z07 for example and then they're surprised they can't properly track it could've looked into a 991 GT3 as I believe the US market is pretty good for them atm. And 10year free engine warranty never hurt anyone.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:15 PM
NinjaBum
CF Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I also don't get the "well as long as its below 80 degrees it should be ok" angle. Do people live in Canada or something during the summer? It's 90-102 degrees every day in the summer here barring some clouds or rain.

So if you shortshift, track in the winter or spring or fall, or live on the North Pole, then you shouldn't experience overheating but outside of that you'll need LG to cut two giant ugly squares in your bumper and fit extra cooling to it or you might as well roll around on grocery runs and drives to Bennigan's and not much else?
wilsowp (06-11-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by NinjaBum View Post
I also don't get the "well as long as its below 80 degrees it should be ok" angle. Do people live in Canada or something during the summer? It's 90-102 degrees every day in the summer here barring some clouds or rain.

So if you shortshift, track in the winter or spring or fall, or live on the North Pole, then you shouldn't experience overheating but outside of that you'll need LG to cut two giant ugly squares in your bumper and fit extra cooling to it or you might as well roll around on grocery runs and drives to Bennigan's and not much else?
I would suggest that you and your buddy above(reidar) not buy one and stick with your Porsche. We will wave as we go by you lap after lap.

Last edited by Road machine; 06-10-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:20 PM
NinjaBum
CF Senior Member

I would suggest that you and your buddy above(reidar) not buy one and stick with your Porsche. We will wave as we go by you lap after lap.
Maybe in New Jersey where your hottest month is below 90s average, doesnt sound like you'll be going by much anywhere below the mason dixon in the middle of summer without some big LG cooling mods?
Old 06-10-2019, 05:31 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

our stuff is not ready yet, we are still testing to see if we can get the engine to fail from a lack of oil, and have been doing some VERY LONG WOT runs (beyond what most people would believe physically possible)

so far, no blown engines, but I want to make sure we have a solid sound product before we let it go out the door.

Ignore the ugly bracket and bolts... this was when we figured out how to get a huge fan to fit.

Figure well below $1800 per side with the big expensive fans, thermal switches, and all the custom fittings needed to make the oil flow.

The other thing you want to do is install the 2019 A8 radiator. They are 300ish dollars, and X25 has a thread showing how easy they are to swap. Your radiator is smaller.

Last edited by bbbvettes.com; 06-10-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by NinjaBum View Post
Maybe in New Jersey where your hottest month is below 90s average, doesnt sound like you'll be going by much anywhere below the mason dixon in the middle of summer without some big LG cooling mods?
I drove my same year and also an automatic at Spring Mountain.....that is in the dessert between Las Vegas and LA. They do not overheat cars all day and sometimes operate their cars in 100 plus degree days. Now to be clear I have a 2019 and they have done all sorts of things to help cool the car better, but you can drive a 2016 without overheating if you drive it correctly.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:44 PM
NinjaBum
CF Senior Member

I drove my same year and also an automatic at Spring Mountain.....that is in the dessert between Las Vegas and LA. They do not overheat cars all day and sometimes operate their cars in 100 plus degree days. Now to be clear I have a 2019 and they have done all sorts of things to help cool the car better, but you can drive a 2016 without overheating if you drive it correctly.
So your 19 does fine in the southwest summer and you don't need to hold back? Legit asking, not being snarky.

Last edited by NinjaBum; 06-10-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Pacembellum
CF Senior Member

Received 249 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Reidar94 View Post
Weird flex but ok. Or a manual z06...insert roll eyes emoji here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Z06 Z07 A8 overheating

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: