C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Blew the same fuse twice my first track session of the day. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 08:34 AM
Ludicrous_Speed
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Blew the same fuse twice my first track session of the day. Help!

I blew fuse #36 during my first track session at Pocono last month and the car went into what sounded like V4 mode with the speed and throttle severely limited and threw several IAT and MAF codes. I had the car towed to the shop to find out the fuse was bad with no apparent underlying cause and went back out onto the track two days ago at Lime Rock only to have the same fuse blow again 5 minutes into the first session. That time I at least swapped the fuse and drove home but does anyone know why this may be happening? According to the owner's manual fuse #36 is for the Engine Outside Position (I'm not even sure what that means). It's a 15A fuse. I made some changes to the car over the winter and I've never had any trouble on the track in the past.

Car is a 2016 M7 Z06. Over the winter I put on an aFe momentum intake, ARH 1 7/8 long tubes/Xpipe with no cats, and Fasterproms expansion tank and had the car tuned.
I also put on a set of 19" wheel all around with Toyo R888R 295/30/19s (0.3" or 1.2% taller than stock) and 345/30/19 (0.5" or 1.9% taller than stock). I noticed the Active Handling coming on often and at strange times. I imagine this is due to the different tires diameters but don't know if it could be related to the fuse blowing.
Runs great and doesn't throw any codes until the fuse blows after a few hard track minutes.

Any insight?

Last edited by Ludicrous_Speed; 06-10-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:43 AM
Pluggzz
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludicrous_Speed
I blew fuse #36 during my first track session at Pocono last month and the car went into what sounded like V4 mode with the speed and throttle severely limied and threw several IAT and MAF codes. I had the car towed to the shop to find out the fuse was bad with no apparent underlying cause and went back out onto the track two days ago at Lime Rock only to have the same fuse blow again 5 minutes into the first session. That time I at least swapped the fuse and drove home but does anyone know why this may be happening? According to the owner's manual fuse #36 is for the Engine Outside Position (I'm not even sure what that means). It's a 15A fuse. I made some changes to the car over the winter and I've never had any trouble on the track in the past.

Car is a 2016 M7 Z06. Over the winter I put on an aFe momentum intake, ARH 1 7/8 long tubes/Xpipe with no cats, and Fasterproms expansion tank and had the car tuned.
I also put on a set of 19" wheel all around with Toyo R888R 295/30/19s (0.3" or 1.2% taller than stock) and 345/30/19 (0.5" or 1.9% taller than stock). I noticed the Active Handling coming on often and at strange times. I imagine this is due to the different tires diameters but don't know if it could be related to the fuse blowing.
Runs great and doesn't throw any codes until the fuse blows after a few hard track minutes.

Any insight?
I was there too on Saturday, I mighta seen you but not sure.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:56 AM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

Fuse 36 powers the O2 sensors. The wiring for one of them was likely damaged when you installed the headers.
The following users liked this post:
bbbvettes.com (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:25 AM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by laserdude2215
Fuse 36 powers the O2 sensors. The wiring for one of them was likely damaged when you installed the headers.
Agree to start here. If a ground is missing or a connection burned, these are exactly the gremlins that you will encounter.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:02 PM
Ludicrous_Speed
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Pluggzz
I was there too on Saturday, I mighta seen you but not sure.
I was the loud DSOM Z06 in B group for about 5 minutes on Saturday morning.

Originally Posted by laserdude2215
Originally Posted by TSLAVette
Agree to start here. If a ground is missing or a connection burned, these are exactly the gremlins that you will encounter.
Thanks for the advice. I got underneath the car, dropped the exhaust plate off, and checked the O2 sensors. The passenger side O2 zip ties had melted through and the wire was touching the Xpipe leaving a little bit of residue on the pipe drom the wire insulation. It was burned through just enough to show one or two threads of copper. I’m gonna try some wire shrink wrap and spark plug insulator sleeve with better zip tie placement for the wires and get some exhaust wrap for that segment of the Xpipe.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ludicrous_Speed:
bbbvettes.com (06-10-2019), fishpick (06-12-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Blew the same fuse twice my first track session of the day. Help!

Quick Reply: Blew the same fuse twice my first track session of the day. Help!