C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Chevy dealership said they can’t do alignment on zo6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 04:38 PM
Shawn_Randhawa
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Chevy dealership said they can’t do alignment on zo6?

Where do you guys go for alignment on your cars, all the places I called around me said they can’t and Chevy originally said they could but once I got there they said it’s “to low”
Old 06-13-2019, 04:41 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Where are you located in CA? I'm in the SF Bay Area.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:42 PM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn_Randhawa
Where do you guys go for alignment on your cars, all the places I called around me said they can’t and Chevy originally said they could but once I got there they said it’s “to low”
I see you're located in CA. If you're close to the SF Bay area, I'd recommend Abel Chevy in Rio Vista. Rich runs a tight ship and they work on all kinds of Corvettes and Camaros.
Shawn_Randhawa
Racer

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
Where are you located in CA? I'm in the SF Bay Area.
I’m located in the Central Valley, Modesto CA
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Does the dealer sell Corvettes? If so, they must have the tools and a trained technician. Might be worth reporting them to GM regional mgmt as it's pathetic that they can't service a Corvette. No issues getting these cars on modern alignment racks.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:43 PM
Shawn_Randhawa
Racer

Originally Posted by hubris140
I see you're located in CA. If you're close to the SF Bay area, I'd recommend Abel Chevy in Rio Vista. Rich runs a tight ship and they work on all kinds of Corvettes and Camaros.
Yea, I’m located Central Valley, Modesto CA
Old 06-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Shawn_Randhawa
Racer

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Does the dealer sell Corvettes? If so, they must have the tools and a trained technician. Might be worth reporting them to GM regional mgmt as it's pathetic that they can't service a Corvette. No issues getting these cars on modern alignment racks.
I don’t get why they would tell me yes and wasted my time, I even told them it’s a corvette with the carbon splitter and they said yes they can do it.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:45 PM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Yea, I’m located Central Valley, Modesto CA
Give Rich @ Abel Chevy a call. I don't have my phone handy but you should be able to find them via google.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:46 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Most of the dealers that say they can, can't. Rear caster requires some special tools that most dealers don't have.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:48 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Most of the dealers that say they can, can't. Rear caster requires some special tools that most dealers don't have.
If they sell Corvettes they have to have the tool kit to service the cars. That said, my local dealer admitted the rear caster tool "walked off" when they tried to align mine. I ended up borrowing one from a buddy.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:51 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

If they sell Corvettes they have to have the tool kit to service the cars. That said, my local dealer admitted the rear caster tool "walked off" when they tried to align mine. I ended up borrowing one from a buddy.
Bullshit. I probably checked a dozen or more dealers, finally bought my own tools.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Shawn_Randhawa
Racer

Bullshit. I probably checked a dozen or more dealers, finally bought my own tools.
Yea it really is, annoying how they can’t service their own cars correctly!
Old 06-13-2019, 04:53 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Maybe they're cheating and not buying the tools and nobody at GM is checking on them? If you experience that you need to report them... there's a "tool kit" they are supposed to buy. The C8's new tool kit was just announced and it's like $1,800 in stuff.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:55 PM
Shawn_Randhawa
Racer

Maybe they're cheating and not buying the tools and nobody at GM is checking on them? If you experience that you need to report them... there's a "tool kit" they are supposed to buy. The C8's new tool kit was just announced and it's like $1,800 in stuff.
Yea I don’t get why they would do that.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:01 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Sad part is they will lie to you, tell you they can do it. Then when you ask them to show you the tool . . . If you get an alignment from a dealership ask to see the before and after measurement for rear caster. It won't be on the print out because the machine doesn't do it. Mostly they will just try to blow smoke up your ***. There are two tool. One is a little fixture that fits into holes in the rear knuckle. The other is an electronic gage that measures angles. The fixture is unique to the C7. The gage is only used on the C7 and one other model.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 05:17 PM
Shawn_Randhawa
Racer

Sad part is they will lie to you, tell you they can do it. Then when you ask them to show you the tool . . . If you get an alignment from a dealership ask to see the before and after measurement for rear caster. It won't be on the print out because the machine doesn't do it. Mostly they will just try to blow smoke up your ***. There are two tool. One is a little fixture that fits into holes in the rear knuckle. The other is an electronic gage that measures angles. The fixture is unique to the C7. The gage is only used on the C7 and one other model.
Can’t believe they would do that
Old 06-13-2019, 05:25 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Can’t believe they would do that
Believe!
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (06-13-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy dealership said they can’t do alignment on zo6?

Old 06-13-2019, 06:44 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Yea it really is, annoying how they can’t service their own cars correctly!

I'm sure some of you are aware of this below, but to confirm for searchers or readers of the thread: Per Tadge

The dealer sales and service agreement states: "Dealer agrees to provide and maintain on dealership premises essential service tools as required by General Motors and such other tools and equipment as reasonably necessary to fulfill its responsibilities to properly diagnose and service Products." When GM classifies a tool as “essential” for authorized Corvette dealers, that means the dealers will automatically be shipped the tool for their use and the cost will be charged to their open account. The adaptor is custom-designed to fit the Corvette knuckle and cannot be purchased on the outside market. That is why it is classified as an essential tool.

So the bottom line is that adapters were sent to all authorized Corvette dealers a few years ago and it is up to the dealer to procure the tool to measure the caster angle. GM makes every effort to enable dealers to access to these tools. We have a tool loaner program that will send the need tool to a requesting dealer the next business day. Any dealer without the angle gauge can get one in 24 hours. The same is true for the adapter if it was not received or has been lost or broken.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I think it is different than that. Given the service manual alignment settings I suspect they don't have any rear caster settings fall outside of the stock tolerances. Remember, they are setting rear camber to just -1.2 not the -1.7 or -2.0 the track dogs set theirs at. Rear caster is spec'd at 0 degrees plus or minus 0.8 degrees. With a normal street alignment setting with a nominal rear camber I suspect the GM service organization has told dealer service people that rear caster falls into its acceptable tolerance range and doesn't have to be measured.

Bill
Old 06-13-2019, 09:20 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

OP stated the reason was the car was too low! The tool is not the issue. Their attitude towards the customer is the issue.

There is no alignment rack that cannot handle ours cars if the dealer gets a little creative with a few wide wood planks.

Ive had my 16 alignment checked twice a year because tracking it rips tires if the alignment is not proper. I don’t do track alignment just check tolerances. Although the dealer has the rear tool, he’s never needed to use it.

The tech at the dealer and and service manager are gear heads, I’m at the rack and he talks me through the processes. He actually asks me, to no avail what settings I want. Fortunately service manager knows what’s best.

I’d run faster then my Z could go ...........if I ran into a dealer like the OP did. That is sad service and attitude.

Quick Reply: Chevy dealership said they can’t do alignment on zo6?