C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Forgeline GA3R/GA3 Vibration/Hop

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:34 PM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Forgeline GA3R/GA3 Vibration/Hop

Looking for feedback on people’s experience with Forgeline wheels. I currently have 18x12.5 GA3R’s on the rear and 19x10 GA3’s on the front. After having the car aligned, rear tires road force balanced twice and the fronts road force balanced twice along with replacing the tires with brand new Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3’s I’m still dealing with a pretty bad hop at 40-50mph and a horrible vibration with anything about 65mph.

Im currently still using the factory lug nuts and was told they may be the culprit. I just spent $350 bucks from the dealership after they took the time to rebalance all the tires and even took wheels off a brand new 2019 ZO6 to verify they were the problem. Vibration/Hop was gone once the wheels were swapped.

Last edited by CamOnlyJabroni; 06-15-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:37 PM
BLK06ZO6
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni
Looking for feedback on people’s experience with Forgeline wheels. I currently have 18x12.5 GA3R’s on the rear and 19x10 GA3’s on the front. After having the car aligned, rear tires road force balanced twice and the fronts road force balanced twice along with replacing the tires with brand new Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3’s I’m still dealing with a pretty bad hop at 40-50mph and a horrible vibration with anything about 65mph.

Im currently still using the factory lug nuts and was told they may be the culprit. I just spent $350 bucks from the dealership after they took the time to rebalance all the tires and even took wheels off a brand new 2019 ZO6 to verify they were the problem. Vibration/Hop was gone once the wheels were swapped.

What offsets are you using on the Forgelines? If stock wheels don’t have an issue and your Forgeline set up does, there must be an issue with the Forgelines mating flush with rotor and hub. Since the C7 has factory wheel studs, perhaps they arent long enough of your running a very aggressive offset.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:49 PM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Originally Posted by BLK06ZO6
What offsets are you using on the Forgelines? If stock wheels don’t have an issue and your Forgeline set up does, there must be an issue with the Forgelines mating flush with rotor and hub. Since the C7 has factory wheel studs, perhaps they arent long enough of your running a very aggressive offset.
I would have to ask Ben@WeaponX. That’s who I bought them from. Ben is the one that also suggested running a gorilla brand lug nut over the factory lug. They road force balanced fine but then feel like they hop. That makes me inclined to go along with what you’re thinking. They aren’t mating to the hub/rotor correctly.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:52 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Carbon ceramic brakes? If so look at the rotor mounting face and the insert in the wheels. The CCB rotors have a dish to them and some wheels don't mate with the dish and instead just sit on the lip of them which keeps them from torquing down properly.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:55 PM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Carbon ceramic brakes? If so look at the rotor mounting face and the insert in the wheels. The CCB rotors have a dish to them and some wheels don't mate with the dish and instead just sit on the lip of them which keeps them from torquing down properly.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don’t have carbon ceramic brakes. I wouldn’t think Forgeline wheels would need a hubcentric ring either as a potential culprit.

I wonder if maybe the pitch of the lug holes on Forgelines are different than factory which would call for a different style lug than factory?

Last edited by CamOnlyJabroni; 06-15-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:37 AM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

I've had a few sets of Forgeline wheels (including GA3R's). I've always used McGard spline drive lugnuts and have had no problems. As mentioned before, I'd definitely make sure the wheel is sitting evenly and flush with the hub.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:31 PM
BLK06ZO6
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

OP, when you torque the lug nuts tight, do they feel like “click” tight or does it feel like a few of them don’t tighten properly? If a few lug nuts stay “loose” it indicates the wheel/rotor/hub interface isn’t flush.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Did you have them balance the wheels without tires?? That would give you the answer right there. You also could easily check runout also. A bit of bother but a lot easier than worrying about the problem. Might as well make sure it is the wheels.
The following users liked this post:
LagunaSecaZ06 (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 12:32 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The mounting flane on my Forged Wheels were 100% Flat and didnt have the
recess that OE Cast Wheels do.....so the lock washers holding rotors on interfered
with the wheels being flush with the hubs ...............
The following 4 users liked this post by CamarosRus:
bbbvettes.com (06-18-2019), CamOnlyJabroni (06-18-2019), LagunaSecaZ06 (06-18-2019), reasonable suspicion (06-21-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:11 AM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Originally Posted by DoingOK
I've had a few sets of Forgeline wheels (including GA3R's). I've always used McGard spline drive lugnuts and have had no problems. As mentioned before, I'd definitely make sure the wheel is sitting evenly and flush with the hub.
I will pull the wheels back off and check how they mate to the surface of the hub.

Originally Posted by BLK06ZO6
OP, when you torque the lug nuts tight, do they feel like “click” tight or does it feel like a few of them don’t tighten properly? If a few lug nuts stay “loose” it indicates the wheel/rotor/hub interface isn’t flush.
they all tighten down fine.

Originally Posted by pkincy
Did you have them balance the wheels without tires?? That would give you the answer right there. You also could easily check runout also. A bit of bother but a lot easier than worrying about the problem. Might as well make sure it is the wheels.
i didn’t try this yet. I just had all four roadforce balanced multiple times.

Originally Posted by CamarosRus
The mounting flane on my Forged Wheels were 100% Flat and didnt have the
recess that OE Cast Wheels do.....so the lock washers holding rotors on interfered
with the wheels being flush with the hubs ...............
I never checked this. I know my wheels are completely flush like you’re saying though. What did you do to alleviate this problem?
Old 06-18-2019, 01:25 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I would be VERY surprised if the wheels are the problem. Call Forgeline and talk to them. They have excellent customer service.
CW4L (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:00 PM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Originally Posted by charger21
I would be VERY surprised if the wheels are the problem. Call Forgeline and talk to them. They have excellent customer service.
I’m working with Forgeline now. Im going to send them my wheels and tires. The wheels being the problem was my last thought. That’s why I never assumed it was the wheels to begin with. There is still a possibility that they are. Steve assured me they would figure it out one way or the other.

I have modded cars since I was a teenager so I know how it goes sometimes. Car holds the garage floor down 2 1/2 seasons of the year anyway plus it’s only 1 of 4 toy cars. I’m just cruising around in my Scat Pack while it gets upgrades and the wheels sorted.

Last edited by CamOnlyJabroni; 06-18-2019 at 02:05 PM.
CW4L (06-18-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:45 AM
Freaked Ls3
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I had the same wheels for my other C7, never any wheels issues. Hopefully they just send you a new set.

Get notified of new replies

To Forgeline GA3R/GA3 Vibration/Hop

Quick Reply: Forgeline GA3R/GA3 Vibration/Hop