C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

MRC update-2015 Z06 lowered

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Emsand1
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default MRC update-2015 Z06 lowered

I have searched this forum and Googled the heck out of it but I am no closer to an educated decision...... 2015 Z06 Lowered Non Z07 - Is the MRC update going to help or hurt????

As far as I can tell, the MRC has a better chance of making my ride quality worse since it's lowered. I read that a qualified Chevy service department can adjust the ride height sensors making the MRC update beneficial but I cannot find a single documented case where this actually happened.

The Chevy website is pretty vague. Jacksonville roads are pretty rough so improved Touring or Sport driving would be nice. I do not track. I'm well aware that Chevy dealers may have no clue what this update actually is and I do not want to pursue the update if it makes the already somewhat jarring Touring ride harsher.

Mark
Old 06-17-2019, 09:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

It will soften the harshness of the ride when going over bumps if you haven't lowered the car so far that it is actually hitting the bump stops when you go over bumps. If you are bottoming the car out on the bump stops (which are in the shock absorbers) there is nothing that can be done but raise the car as you are pretty much riding on solid steel when on the bump stops.

See it in a lot of slammed ricers and german cars, back end jumping all over the place as the car goes over bumps due to lack of suspension travel.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Emsand1 (06-17-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:17 AM
CaddyRacer
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

I bought a 2017 M7 Z06 in Nov 2018
I had it lowered on the stock bolts and realigned....... all was good

After a lot of research I found out the MRC was a fantastic upgrade and does NOT void warranty.
So I did the MRC update
Ride quality was REALLY bad :-(
We discovered it was the ride height sensor not working correctly due the the lowering :-(
So back to factory ride height and it now drives and tracks GREAT!!!
I plan to lower the car again...maybe 1/2 way to see what happens

Please let me know if you do the MRC update on a lowered Z what your results are
Old 06-18-2019, 08:30 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

The last step in the upgrade procedure is to reset the ride height sensors. You're telling the computer it's at stock ride height, but it's really slammed, and now the computer is applying settings that don't make sense for where the car is actually at in its suspension travel.

You'd want to either raise the car back up prior to your upgrade, or try to convince the tech to skip the ride height sensor step entirely.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:45 AM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I lowered mine on the stock bolts after the MRC update but only went about 3/4 down in the rear and 1/2 on the front. Everything is great.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:58 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by CaddyRacer
I bought a 2017 M7 Z06 in Nov 2018
I had it lowered on the stock bolts and realigned....... all was good

After a lot of research I found out the MRC was a fantastic upgrade and does NOT void warranty.
So I did the MRC update
Ride quality was REALLY bad :-(
We discovered it was the ride height sensor not working correctly due the the lowering :-(
So back to factory ride height and it now drives and tracks GREAT!!!
I plan to lower the car again...maybe 1/2 way to see what happens

Please let me know if you do the MRC update on a lowered Z what your results are
This sounds fishy...
Old 06-24-2019, 11:50 AM
Emsand1
Advanced

Called two local dealers. Both needed a senior tech to call me back. One never bothered calling and I lost the other just as he went to explain something. I'll try again this week.

I heard a few people state the ride height sensors could play a part in poor outcome for lowered Z06s. Seems plausible.

I'm far more worried about worse ride conditions than wasting $350.

Mark
Old 08-21-2019, 12:37 PM
Emsand1
Advanced

Melanie at Coggin Chevy Avenues Jacksonville was the 1st local adviser who new what MRC was and after speaking with her, I decided to bite the bullet and do it.

I'm happy to report that the MRC update on my lowered 2015 Z06 made a positive difference!!!! The biggest change is Sport Mode handling like Touring did before. Touring is improved but not as drastically. Heck, Track mode doesn't beat me to death in the little that I use it.

The car sat for 2 hours at Coggin and 2 at work before the commute home. I left it alone the next day.

Get notified of new replies

To MRC update-2015 Z06 lowered

Quick Reply: MRC update-2015 Z06 lowered