C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tinted my 2019 Shadow Gray

Old 06-29-2019, 06:15 PM
wilsowp
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tinted my 2019 Shadow Gray

I looked at quite a few of the tint threads, but I wanted to post my new z06 that arrived to the dealership this past Monday.

Tint:
Sides/Back: 15% Ceramic
Windshield: 35% Ceramic

I have put about 50 miles on it in the dark, and you can see great out of the front. The sides are a little dark, but I am used to that in all of my vehicles.

Here are a handful of different angles for the tint people out there.

The following 3 users liked this post by wilsowp:
Art17 (06-30-2019), KIKNBAK (06-29-2019), MightyZR1 (06-30-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 06:22 PM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

Looks great! Is windshield tint legal where you are?
Old 06-29-2019, 06:27 PM
wilsowp
Intermediate

Originally Posted by w0rM
Looks great! Is windshield tint legal where you are?
Thanks!

Negative, but I’ll pay the ticket if I ever get one. I’ve had windows too dark and full windshields since I was 17 (I’m 34 now) and I’ve only ever gotten one ticket about 12 years ago.

Officers really don’t care as long as you are polite and have your windows down when they walk up so they aren’t in danger of not being able to see the driver/passenger.

Last edited by wilsowp; 06-29-2019 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
w0rM (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 08:08 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

The look is "yeah, we be bad!"

The living with it is wet left arm while trying to turn left on a dark rainy night without hitting the divider curbing with my rim/splitter.

Webedry now. The Z06 says enuff.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 06-29-2019 at 08:10 PM.
23/C8Z (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 09:51 PM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by wilsowp
Thanks!

Negative, but I’ll pay the ticket if I ever get one. I’ve had windows too dark and full windshields since I was 17 (I’m 34 now) and I’ve only ever gotten one ticket about 12 years ago.

Officers really don’t care as long as you are polite and have your windows down when they walk up so they aren’t in danger of not being able to see the driver/passenger.
I wish it was like that here. They'll make you rip it out in some places.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:17 PM
dale fehrenbach
Pro

Received 259 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks!

Surprised that a shop would install it if not legal. When I got mine tinted, they showed me the darkest they would tint, and those were the limits in that state.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:31 PM
wilsowp
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dale fehrenbach
Surprised that a shop would install it if not legal. When I got mine tinted, they showed me the darkest they would tint, and those were the limits in that state.

Anywhere in Alabama will install tint darker than legal. It’s not their responsibility as they install it on private property. I guess it’s the “for off-road use only” clause.

He also tints all of the police cars in the two neighboring cities to his shop. He’s got two Lamborghini’s getting tinted Wednesday this week.
Z0HS1CK (06-30-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 10:31 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dale fehrenbach
Gotta find those show car tint shops. We have one that will do whatever if you sign a waiver saying you aren't going to drive it on the street wink wink.

Or those unscrupulous warehouse tint shops do whatever as well.
wilsowp (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 12:20 AM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 361 Posts

Very Nice! I plan on doing 30% ceramic on our SG GS, patiently waiting to the 17th when they can get it in.
wilsowp (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 05:55 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Besides the ticket issue, you might also find yourself in trouble if you hit someone or a car on the road. They could claim your car was illegally tinted, making you fully guilty.

For safety reasons like these, I never go below legal limits, even though shops here are ready to do so as long as I sign the disclaimer. (Washington State)

Last edited by X25; 06-30-2019 at 05:56 AM.
vdavenp802 (07-02-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 08:23 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Looks great.
wilsowp (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 08:46 AM
wilsowp
Intermediate

Originally Posted by X25
Besides the ticket issue, you might also find yourself in trouble if you hit someone or a car on the road. They could claim your car was illegally tinted, making you fully guilty.

For safety reasons like these, I never go below legal limits, even though shops here are ready to do so as long as I sign the disclaimer. (Washington State)

Mehhhh, I think you’re over thinking it. I work hard to have things the way I want them, so I will continue to do things on my terms. If I have to pay a fine here and there. So be it.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:08 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,179 Likes on 2,129 Posts

Anywhere in Alabama will install tint darker than legal. It’s not their responsibility as they install it on private property. I guess it’s the “for off-road use only” clause.

He also tints all of the police cars in the two neighboring cities to his shop. He’s got two Lamborghini’s getting tinted Wednesday this week.
lol crazy how a thread about your tints turns into people questioning your choice on what YOU want to do with YOUR car.

This community has slipped through the cracks. Oh well.

It looks badass dude!!

When i got my tints done, i dropped the car off at my regular tint place. When i told the owner i want 35%, he said, "35 all around even the windshield??" And i said no, because i don't want a ticket. He said, "everyone does it, but ok".

I would say at the time when i got my Z tinted, it was one of the least expensive cars there that week. He had a 570S and a C63AMG at that time on the premises. They all got tints all around, front/back and sides.

Like you said, they are installing tints on their property. There is nothing that says, "can't install tint based on state". Because if that's the case, they wouldn't even be able to install tints on the front windows on 4 door cars, nevermind about the front windshield.

And i live in NJ. I see tinted front windshields all the time.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 06-30-2019 at 10:10 AM.
jabeasley1 (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 11:08 AM
wilsowp
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
lol crazy how a thread about your tints turns into people questioning your choice on what YOU want to do with YOUR car.

This community has slipped through the cracks. Oh well.

It looks badass dude!!

When i got my tints done, i dropped the car off at my regular tint place. When i told the owner i want 35%, he said, "35 all around even the windshield??" And i said no, because i don't want a ticket. He said, "everyone does it, but ok".

I would say at the time when i got my Z tinted, it was one of the least expensive cars there that week. He had a 570S and a C63AMG at that time on the premises. They all got tints all around, front/back and sides.

Like you said, they are installing tints on their property. There is nothing that says, "can't install tint based on state". Because if that's the case, they wouldn't even be able to install tints on the front windows on 4 door cars, nevermind about the front windshield.

And i live in NJ. I see tinted front windshields all the time.

Man, I was thinking the same thing. Almost makes you not want to share things about the one thing everyone here has in common.

Appreciate it sir. 👍🏻
Z0HS1CK (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 11:29 AM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

Looks fantastic. Cops here don't seem to care about tint either so I went 20% but did not do anything on the windshield.

Never got pulled over or ticketed for tint in my life.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:17 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,179 Likes on 2,129 Posts

Man, I was thinking the same thing. Almost makes you not want to share things about the one thing everyone here has in common.

Appreciate it sir. 👍🏻
Car looks good man, all you need to worry about. If you like it, that's good enough. I would have done my front windshield, but i'm paranoid about getting ticketed lol. Car is only a weekend car so when i take it out, i want to worry about the least amount of things as possible haha.

The C6 section wasn't this bad. Let's see how the C8 community shapes up.
wilsowp (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 04:07 PM
wilsowp
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Car looks good man, all you need to worry about. If you like it, that's good enough. I would have done my front windshield, but i'm paranoid about getting ticketed lol. Car is only a weekend car so when i take it out, i want to worry about the least amount of things as possible haha.

The C6 section wasn't this bad. Let's see how the C8 community shapes up.

Appreciate it. Random and actually might be a first for me, but I have my skid steer down at our hunting property, and in my rear view mirror, a semi with a full blown windshield tint job was coming up on me. I snagged a quick pic. His was pretty dark considering how large those windows were.

I actually think that’s pretty risky as much as they have to go through DOT inspections and troopers always on them.

Z0HS1CK (07-01-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Tinted my 2019 Shadow Gray

Old 06-30-2019, 04:34 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 103 Posts

Keep in mind the C6 was made for an outrageous 9 production years. Over that time they dropped quite a bit and started entering younger owners' hands more often I'd wager than the C7 has. Course that comes with its own set of oddities, but the fuddy-duddy:non-fuddy-duddy ratio with the C7 is definitely high in here.

Hell look at that thread about the guy pulled over for going 102. Half of these dudes are your "I only drive my corvette to church and do the speed limit" types who act all holier than thou.

Last edited by NinjaBum; 06-30-2019 at 04:36 PM.
wilsowp (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 08:55 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Looks good.

I used to have a tint shop that I went to for 14+ years & as long as you paid cash they would put on whatever you wanted. The problem is here in TX we have a yearly inspection & they will check the tint. For several years I went to a shop that would do the yearly inspection without checking the windows. But then one year when I went in the first thing they did was check the tint darkness. I guess they must have gotten busted. Then I went back to the hassle of taking my tint off my side windows every year before getting my car inspected & then I'd drive straight down to the tint shop after the inspection & get it tinted dark again. But the last time I visited the tint shop I just had them put the legal limit on the side windows. Just as well as shortly after that they decided to close their doors for good & that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Since the tint shop I preferred was gone & I no longer had access to an inspection place that would overlook the window tint I had to just stick with the legal limits when getting the Vette tinted. I wish TX didn't have a yearly inspection.
wilsowp (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 10:21 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,751 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I like it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tinted my 2019 Shadow Gray