C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Does the 2019 Z06 still overheat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 12:54 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,679 Likes on 1,481 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
People say this but the 650 ft lbs of torque is GREAT in a short track. Sure it feels like overkill but it will run a faster lap that any of the lower hp "small track" cars.

Just because it doesn't "feel" at home doesn't mean it won't be fast. Just like how people say "oh yeah miatas are the fastest autocross cars". That's just blatantly wrong! Corvettes always top the autocross charts. By SEVERAL seconds over miatas. 911 GT3 and GT4 right there with them. GT4 being a car known for its absurdly long gearing.
I don't doubt it. I've just never had a chance to drive my Z06 on a shorter track (yet) and hope to someday soon. The Miata event was a lot of fun as it seemed as though the staights were short and limited with more turning than flat out speed. I couldn't image the Miata would be as much fun on the tracks where my Z06 exceeded 150 MPH on the straights. It still wanted so much more by the time I downshifted and braked into the corner.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:00 PM
2500 hd
Race Director

Received 362 Likes on 231 Posts
St. Jude Donor ‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I enjoyed the video....
The following users liked this post:
rob62 (07-06-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 06:35 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Exactly my point of reference. Thanks
Old 07-05-2019, 06:44 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

If that helps other to see what the link was.

My point about the car not doing well on such a short track is the fact that by using boost almost non stop the IATs (and cylinder pressure/temp) are probably through the roof wothout enough airflow to cool things off a bit in between makes it unattractive for any blown vehicle.

Not many if any supercharged vehicle's could run that track as small as it is, and do it at 10/10ths without running hot.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 07-05-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:47 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z

If that helps other to see what the link was.

Well that's the SS class.. go to AS and look at raw times.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:15 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Great video. While I never drove in that track, I can tell you in my 3000 mile ownership of my ZR1. I observed 2 things:

- You cant cheat the law of physics with more power. Car is heavy and as much as Jim did his magic with suspension tuning, and magnaride setup, there is no way you are not going to feel 3600 lbs. Too much torque combined with added weight and if you loose the rear end, its no fun.

- Of all the cars I have owned, test driven, aggressively driven after borrowing from friends, the corvette was the hottest car I have ever driven. The oil and coolant temps get up high the quickest and stay high the longest. With some spirited driving, I can easily get the water temps to 240 and oil temps to 250 which I have never ever to this date with much much MUCH aggressive driving gotten to with my GT350 and that car revs to 8250 rpm and I bounce it off the limiter all the time.

And these comments were for ZR1 not Z06 with all its heating improvements.

I drove a 991.1 GT3RS last week. After multiple 8800 rpm shifts, constant 7000-8000 rpm driving, I could not get the oil temp above 215 and coolant was steady at 205.

Corvette is a great car that can be jack of all trades. Comfy ride, looks aggressive, sound great, financially within reach, performance figures on paper great but in reality its a compromise car. It compromises in performance, in cooling, in weight. Its the truth some here will not admit because they either have never experienced any other car besides corvette so they dont know any better OR they are just blind beyond saving and keep drinking kool-aid.

Last edited by UnhandledException; 07-05-2019 at 07:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by UnhandledException:
serpent (07-09-2019), xkilo16x (07-05-2019), Z0HS1CK (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 07:32 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,141 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
Great video. While I never drove in that track, I can tell you in my 3000 mile ownership of my ZR1. I observed 2 things:

- You cant cheat the law of physics with more power. Car is heavy and as much as Jim did his magic with suspension tuning, and magnaride setup, there is no way you are not going to feel 3600 lbs. Too much torque combined with added weight and if you loose the rear end, its no fun.

- Of all the cars I have owned, test driven, aggressively driven after borrowing from friends, the corvette was the hottest car I have ever driven. The oil and coolant temps get up high the quickest and stay high the longest. With some spirited driving, I can easily get the water temps to 240 and oil temps to 250 which I have never ever to this date with much much MUCH aggressive driving gotten to with my GT350 and that car revs to 8250 rpm and I bounce it off the limiter all the time.

I drove a 991.1 GT3RS last week. After multiple 8800 rpm shifts, constant 7000-8000 rpm driving, I could not get the oil temp above 215 and coolant was steady at 205.

Corvette is a great car that can be jack of all trades. Comfy ride, looks aggressive, sound great, financially within reach, performance figures on paper great but in reality its a compromise car. It compromises in performance, in cooling, in weight. Its the truth some here will not admit because they either have never experienced any other car besides corvette so they dont know any better OR they are just blind beyond saving and keep drinking kool-aid.
Spot on!!

Now people understand how amazing better engineered cars like the porsche is

That's why the 911 turbo cost what it cost. Better engineering.

My buddy has a carrera, although not turbo, he beats the car every single time he drives, even though it's a weekend car like my Z. Had the car 3 years, like i had my Z. Has about the same miles as my Z. But his car's value stayed the same, unlike my Z.

So another point to the porsche. I have more power than him though, so i can at least brag about that.

But he knows his cars too, and says he would love to get a z06, but in his own words, "last thing i want is to have a nice sports car parked on the side of the road because it overheated".

I couldn't defend it because he's probably right. So i just lol'ed.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:53 PM
xkilo16x
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
I was at that "track" the very 1st day it opened. I never desired to go back, and I live 15 min away as well.
As others have said, it is for drifting,go-karts, Miatas, etc.
That track may not be a fair test of overheating, but the car should not overheat period!
Why not make the drive down to NJ Motorsports park for some REAL track time?

Ron
NJMP is great. I think Thunderbolt is a great track for the Z06. I've done it once with this C7Z in the video. However, it is about a 2 hour trip one way for me not including the loading and unloading of the car into the trailer. If I lived closer, it would be, without a question the test track for my channel. Englishtown's track is far from perfect, in fact, I always complain about how shitty the pavement is and how there is a huge lack of runoff, but I rather be racing once a month than twice a year. Of course, I don't bring my Z06 to E-Town's track much, most of the time it's a car that is much better suited for that place.

Wow pal. Easy Mr Sensitive. Someone ridicule your driving? Or the fact that you're revving the car out and asking it to do something it was not engineered to do.

That track would overheat a stock stingray driven like that and absolutely a ZR1.

We can take this private and come up with a plan that I'm sure will satisfy your desire to prove what a great driver you are vs me. And unlike you, should I beat your lap time on your home track all 100ft of it... i wont come on here and point it out to make yourself feel like a hero.

You put your video up there. you started this thread. that's a comment i made and I stand by it..

as for your comment in the YouTube video "be prepared to sacrifice in durance for a better time" ?? As if you wouldn't do that with any car you ever drove on track in any situation ever? Come on.

Just curious how long have you been running at that short track? I remember when they 1st built it I was there for a magazine shoot testing out drag radials. And once the newly released (not yet to the general public) C6ZR1 came out there.. ran.. 133mph in the 1/4mi on a 65f day on stock tires. I watched how it was destroyed by the Nissan GTR on that course. It was comical.

That's a go kart track. Better than nothing but set up for a miata not a high hp heavier car. Unless awd. As evidenced by the GTR annihilating the C6ZR.

Not to Mention our different views on these cars go es back Well before this thread ever came up.

It started back when you swore you could paddle shift faster then the computer to get a better acceleration time with all your Data that you have 100% control over.... never mentioning the fact that you have to get the shift exactly the same every single time what's the chance of that ever happening?

And the fact that you think the M7 is faster from different speeds vs the A8 whereas my real world experiences proved (to me) that's not even close to the case unless the automatic is found to be in the worst possible situation again requiring the manual driver to have the 100% perfect shift every time. It takes a bolt on M7 to hang with the A8. But that's just my opinion having ran several stock and bolt on versions.

I'll dig up some video and or photos from that day in 2008 for you. Hopefully I have some video of that course when it was first built it may not have even been open to public at that point.

Dont forget to respond to your PM.
Bob, I'm going to assume this is your name because that is your YouTube handle. As some others pointed out, I wasn't being sensitive or defensive. You called me out and I said "sure, let's do it." My offer of a free track day and dinner (if you beat my time) still stands. The only condition is that it has to be on the factory Michelin PSS tires like my runs were. It's as simple as that.

August 18th is the next open track day that you can sign up for. It's a Sunday, so there should be no conflicts hopefully.

Please don't use the "I don't like Englishtown's go-kart track" as an excuse either. Remember, you're the one that called me out. I ran the car on there, so if I'm such an incompetent driver, then you should have no problem running circles around me.

As for me swearing that I am faster with paddles than the computer is not really what I said. I am simply echo-ing what my VBOX and performance loggers tell me. A repeated result on two separate 10Hz GPS loggers is pretty convincing to me. Whether I can be consistently faster is another story.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-05-2019 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Merged Posts - Please use the Multi Quote button to respond to multiple people in a single response.
The following 3 users liked this post by xkilo16x:
Harbgrogan (07-06-2019), NinjaBum (07-05-2019), serpent (07-09-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 09:19 PM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 351 Posts

Nice video as always, I enjoy them all.

I agree with some of the things being said, these car's are exceptional but do start to fall apart at the limit, fighting the car, overheating, working harder etc. The thing everyone needs to realize is there's a reason these car's cost 80k and not 150k. Your going to work harder to put down the best laptime in the Z06 or even the ZR1 compared to a 911 GTS, GT3, Nissan GTR, hell even the Merc GT but thats why those car's cost 50-100% more. I can imagine its frustrating for those of you who can push the car, especially when some of these factors didn't exist in the C6Z. I'm one of those schmucks who can't push these car's to 10/10th's so I'll most likely never experience these issues. Hell if I could actually push the car I'd probably still have my Z06 simply because another car would be compromised in other area's, it's hard to find a car in this price range that looks as good, sounds as good, performs as good, is comfortable to drive on the street and as practical as the Corvette. In fact, in my opinion, another car like that doesn't exist.

There's always a price for performance this good punching above its MSRP. It's just in the this case that price is found at the limit (and when it comes time to replace tires).

Last edited by Exia; 07-05-2019 at 09:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Exia:
Harbgrogan (07-06-2019), need-for-speed (07-07-2019), revilingfool (09-21-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 09:31 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Please don't use the "I don't like Englishtown's go-kart track" as an excuse either. Remember, you're the one that called me out. I ran the car on there, so if I'm such an incompetent driver, then you should have no problem running circles around me.
I never said you couldnt drive. I said YOU ARE DRIVING THE CAR IN A WAY IT WAS NOT INTENDED in a boosted application high revs on a tiny short track .. tiny isnt even the word.

Having said that you were addvised in the PM how this can be handled. ***** in your court. Maybe time to drop the passive aggressive confrontation hoping the audience will cheer you on and go back to the PM. Where you have my cell.

And for the record using the car for what it's intended for ripping around a road course for that i applaud you. I only wish i had the time (thought about how much more fun it is vs drag and roll racing and bought a manual for that reason) and I just AGAIN ordered an A8 2019 after going back and forth with getting a manual or not...

So good for you. And the videos are nicely produced. Told you that as well did i not? I give credit where credit is due. I would just love to see more cameras on the car and since there's no pdr they make systems that hook up to the obdII which are very similar.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 07-06-2019 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:03 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Kool aid my ***.Experience all the cars your bitter heart desires, they ALL compromise something for something else. Fact is the ZR1 is an all star because it manages it"s "compromises" better than your sweet heart exotics that you praise or should I say kool aid swallow?

Last edited by rob62; 07-06-2019 at 09:04 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by rob62:
23/C8Z (07-06-2019), Harbgrogan (07-06-2019), need-for-speed (07-07-2019), Road machine (07-10-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 09:35 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

It's like people aren't happy unless they're putting someone or something else down.

Misery loves company.
Harbgrogan (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 02:53 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 103 Posts

That's funny coming from the guy poo pooing manuals nonstop in the transmission thread.
Z0HS1CK (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 03:33 PM
xkilo16x
Pro

I never said you couldnt drive. I said YOU ARE DRIVING THE CAR IN A WAY IT WAS NOT INTENDED in a boosted application high revs on a tiny short track .. tiny isnt even the word.

Having said that you were addvised in the PM how this can be handled. ***** in your court. Maybe time to drop the passive aggressive confrontation hoping the audience will cheer you on and go back to the PM. Where you have my cell.

And for the record using the car for what it's intended for ripping around a road course for that i applaud you. I only wish i had the time (thought about how much more fun it is vs drag and roll racing and bought a manual for that reason) and I just AGAIN ordered an A8 2019 after going back and forth with getting a manual or not...

So good for you. And the videos are nicely produced. Told you that as well did i not? I give credit where credit is due. I would just love to see more cameras on the car and since there's no pdr they make systems that hook up to the obdII which are very similar.
I don't harbor any negative feelings in this conversation or situation. Never did, never will. It's just the nature of putting yourself out there on the internet and YouTube. Everyone will have their own opinion or way of seeing something. But I will paraphrase what I said in the PM here:

Show up and race your car, you have nothing to lose. You get a free track day and a free dinner if you beat my lap time.

The ball is not in my court. You called me out on my driving, I said let's settle it on the track, and now all I'm hearing is excuses about how you can't, won't or don't want to.

I can wait until you break in your 2019 A8 Z06. Yes, this track is better suited for Miata's, 370Z's, and other smaller, lower HP cars, but it's still a track and can be used as a method to test a car's performance. Not sure why you would suggest using cones and a parking lot for competition purposes. That's just AutoX at the this point and I'm pretty sure it would be even smaller than the E-Town track. If you want, we can go to a "real" track. Let's set up a day at NJMP Thunderbolt when you're ready. I usually run Lightning and I've only done Thunderbolt once, so I don't have home track advantage there.

In regards to the camera angles, its not about getting more cameras. I have enough units, but it's just me and my wife shooting these videos so there's not enough manpower to go around and set stuff up in a timely fashion. It takes a lot to set up cameras, prep your car, race and produce content at the same time, but I am continuously trying to figure out how to make the track footage look more engaging.
The following 4 users liked this post by xkilo16x:
Harbgrogan (07-06-2019), NinjaBum (07-06-2019), serpent (07-09-2019), Z0HS1CK (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 04:52 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Now , now children stop arguing. This thread had disintegrated into bandwidth pollution. If you want to **** and moan at each other do via PM.

Last edited by ronsc1985; 07-06-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by xkilo16x
I don't harbor any negative feelings in this conversation or situation. Never did, never will. It's just the nature of putting yourself out there on the internet and YouTube. Everyone will have their own opinion or way of seeing something. But I will paraphrase what I said in the PM here:

Show up and race your car, you have nothing to lose. You get a free track day and a free dinner if you beat my lap time.

The ball is not in my court. You called me out on my driving, I said let's settle it on the track, and now all I'm hearing is excuses about how you can't, won't or don't want to.

I can wait until you break in your 2019 A8 Z06. Yes, this track is better suited for Miata's, 370Z's, and other smaller, lower HP cars, but it's still a track and can be used as a method to test a car's performance. Not sure why you would suggest using cones and a parking lot for competition purposes. That's just AutoX at the this point and I'm pretty sure it would be even smaller than the E-Town track. If you want, we can go to a "real" track. Let's set up a day at NJMP Thunderbolt when you're ready. I usually run Lightning and I've only done Thunderbolt once, so I don't have home track advantage there.

In regards to the camera angles, its not about getting more cameras. I have enough units, but it's just me and my wife shooting these videos so there's not enough manpower to go around and set stuff up in a timely fashion. It takes a lot to set up cameras, prep your car, race and produce content at the same time, but I am continuously trying to figure out how to make the track footage look more engaging.

You don't need to explain yourself man. Your videos are good and your using the car for what it's meant for. Can't say the same for the other guy other than him recording random roll racing with "buddies", probably only posting the videos of runs he won, and not posting many of the ones he didn't lol.

But if this grudge match were to take place, i got my money on you.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 07-06-2019 at 07:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Z0HS1CK:
serpent (07-09-2019), xkilo16x (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 07:36 PM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by xkilo16x
Coming from an amateur video guy, you're production is really outstanding. I stumbled across your videos on YouTube a few weeks ago. I gotta say, you have a really unique delivery (for a car guy). Honestly, I wasn't sure I liked it at first but after watching several of your videos, I realized how well done your content was and I was sold.

Anywho... keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
The following 2 users liked this post by w0rM:
BrunoTheMellow (07-06-2019), xkilo16x (07-06-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Does the 2019 Z06 still overheat?

Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

I agree. I just wish the videos were more interactive though. I'm no video expert, just comparing to the other youtuber's.

Other than that, really good quality and good editing.
xkilo16x (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 01:48 PM
xkilo16x
Pro

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I agree. I just wish the videos were more interactive though. I'm no video expert, just comparing to the other youtuber's.

Other than that, really good quality and good editing.
Thanks Rob, always trying to improve. What do you mean by more interactive?
Old 07-09-2019, 02:54 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

You compare the GT350 and the 991.1 GT3RS to the ZR1 and discuss reving them to 8K plus rpms as they run cooler?
Well of course they do. They are normally aspirated engines without compressors.

You talk of compromises for the Chevy. However you failed to mention the cars you used for your comparison compromise over 220hp to the ZR1 and over a 100hp to the Z06.

Now Porsche does make cars that don't compromise power or any performance metric to either of the blown Vettes, But of course to own one of those you have to compromise your bank account for another 60 grand or so.

Quick Reply: Does the 2019 Z06 still overheat?