Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the 2019 Z06 still overheat?

Old 07-09-2019, 03:05 PM
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member

Received 506 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by dar02081961 View Post
You compare the GT350 and the 991.1 GT3RS to the ZR1 and discuss reving them to 8K plus rpms as they run cooler?
Well of course they do. They are normally aspirated engines without compressors.

You talk of compromises for the Chevy. However you failed to mention the cars you used for your comparison compromise over 220hp to the ZR1 and over a 100hp to the Z06.

Now Porsche does make cars that don't compromise power or any performance metric to either of the blown Vettes, But of course to own one of those you have to compromise your bank account for another 60 grand or so.
A gt3 can hit similar mph at the end of long straights as a Z06. Even with a 150 hp deficit. So apples to apples.

But. Cost yes. There's definitely a cost.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:30 PM
dar02081961
CF Senior Member

Received 427 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z View Post
I never said you couldnt drive. I said YOU ARE DRIVING THE CAR IN A WAY IT WAS NOT INTENDED in a boosted application high revs on a tiny short track .. tiny isnt even the word.

Having said that you were addvised in the PM how this can be handled. ***** in your court. Maybe time to drop the passive aggressive confrontation hoping the audience will cheer you on and go back to the PM. Where you have my cell.

And for the record using the car for what it's intended for ripping around a road course for that i applaud you. I only wish i had the time (thought about how much more fun it is vs drag and roll racing and bought a manual for that reason) and I just AGAIN ordered an A8 2019 after going back and forth with getting a manual or not...

So good for you. And the videos are nicely produced. Told you that as well did i not? I give credit where credit is due. I would just love to see more cameras on the car and since there's no pdr they make systems that hook up to the obdII which are very similar.
Maybe I can assist here.

Folks take offense to what you said because they perceive it to be an attack on their driving skill.
I know it was not.

You are attempting to tell folks here with an overabundance of torque and the confines of a shorter track there is no need to hold the revs up on the LT4 or LT5. You can produce more than enough power with a lot less heat and be just as quick working lower in the rev range. This is an advantage of a comparatively long stroke higher torque engine. This advantage must be used in some scenarios to compensate for the higher heat produced by the PD supercharger. If you ignore this you will will run hotter and likely slower.

This concept is counter to what most automotive professionals have been taught or have mastered weather they will admit here or not.

Allow me to make an analogy in hopes of demonstrating your point.

Many of us ride dirt bikes and street bikes. 2 examples.
I have ridden 250s and 450's around the same tracks. I thought I was quicker on the 250 turning gobs of RPMs and running on the ragged edge of control and wide open most of the route.
Hopped on the 450, used torque in the ruts and up the hills and turned damn near the same times without much drama and a lot less stress and heat on the motor.

Learned the same thing on some twisty roads with a GSXR 750 versus the Busa. Gotta keep the revs up on the 750 to have a chance in hell of staying with the Busa, gotta be a better rider and mistake free as well.......but when it's all said and done a good Busa rider using the torque of the bigger motor can get there just as quick and safer with a lot less stress and heat on the motor.

Now I know this isn't quite an apples to apples comparison but the point is there is more than one way to skin a track.
The LT4 and LT5 have an overabundance of torque they don't necessarily have to be reved to the stratosphere to be quick around the circuit.
The following 2 users liked this post by dar02081961:
16/C7Z (07-09-2019), Road machine (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 03:41 PM
dar02081961
CF Senior Member

Received 427 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
A gt3 can hit similar mph at the end of long straights as a Z06. Even with a 150 hp deficit. So apples to apples.

But. Cost yes. There's definitely a cost.
Its not apples to apples at all in my book.

We are discussing compromises.

You are taking a limited production engine that cost 3 times as much, and needs to rev 2500 rpm more to produce the same speed at the end of the straight.
That's a compromise compared to a mass produced (15+ thousand a year) pushrod V8 that produces 150hp more and can be repaired and maintained by anybody worth their salt with average tools in the back yard.

Last edited by dar02081961; 07-09-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:15 PM
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 440 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by xkilo16x View Post
Thanks Rob, always trying to improve. What do you mean by more interactive?
This is just my opinion so don't take offense to this.

But it lacks life. Or excitement. You should add some witty comments, alter the camera angles a bit. But most importantly, include other cars with other people lol. That way it's not only you talking lol. I'm not saying copy the other youtubers but they do very well for a reason, they follow what everyone else does.

The cliche intro music. Making corny jokes, having a, dare i say it, "A BUDDY" to tag along, get some convo going, more camera angles, compete with "YOUR BUDDIES" cars etc etc.

To me, your videos look like school projects lol. It's awesome quality, good editing, but it just lacks life.

Last edited by RobGZ06; 07-09-2019 at 07:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
xkilo16x (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:24 PM
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post

But it lacks life. Or excitement. You should add some witty comments, alter the camera angles a bit. But most importantly, include other cars with other people lol. That way it's not only you talking lol. I'm not saying copy the other youtubers but they do very well for a reason, they follow what everyone else does.

The cliche intro music. Making corny jokes, having a, dare i say it, "A BUDDY" to tag along, get some convo going, more camera angles, compete with "YOUR BUDDIES" cars etc etc.

To me, your videos look like school projects lol. It's awesome quality, good editing, but it just lacks life.

this is exactly what makes his videos unique! its art compared to the other clickbait money making crap out there.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrunoTheMellow:
serpent (07-10-2019), xkilo16x (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:32 PM
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member

Unique doesn't = good, though.

I'm not saying his videos are bad. Again it's only my opinion but they lack life. It's a bit boring. From a person not into cars would think his videos are only trying to showcase his video editing skills and camera usage. The cars in the videos are just secondary.

AGAIN, this is my opinion. I do appreciate the videos though.
xkilo16x (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:03 PM
xkilo16x
CF Senior Member

Received 114 Likes on 48 Posts

Unique doesn't = good, though.

I'm not saying his videos are bad. Again it's only my opinion but they lack life. It's a bit boring. From a person not into cars would think his videos are only trying to showcase his video editing skills and camera usage. The cars in the videos are just secondary.

AGAIN, this is my opinion. I do appreciate the videos though.
No offense taken, I'm still very new to the YouTube thing and I'm trying to evolve and adapt as I go. Every bit of feedback is appreciated. I shot movies and TV shows for a living so I guess it's only natural that the cinematography overpowers the cars or content. To be honest, I don't want to be in front of the camera, I much rather just shoot and create content/tell stories but in order to keep up with the weekly uploads, it seems to be a necessary evil.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:42 PM
PSU_Vette
CF Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice video! I'd be interested to see how a 2019 M7 deals with the track at similar temps. I have a 2016 M7 and I am still on the fence about adding the secondary radiator. I'd be interested to see if the new equipment makes a big difference.

I'm certainly not the fastest driver, so I have yet to put my car into limp mode. The warmest day I've run was in the mid-80s at Thompson Speedway (Connecticut). The car definitely got hot, but not enough that there was a loss in power. The PSS tires got slick from heat, which led to the lap times dropping a little at the end of the 25 min sessions, but the car held up fine.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had any experience between the two...
Old 07-09-2019, 09:51 PM
PSU_Vette
CF Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z View Post
Buddy... it's not a Honda. Shift. Use the torque that the blower provides and stop NJ using the engine revs to slow you down use the brakes.

It's a big displacement engine with a heat pump on top.

Learn how to use the car for what it is.
I usually don't respond to these types of back and forth arguments, but in this case...

Your statement above is condescending. I'm sure the OP could be faster or keep the car cooler by employing different methods. I know there a million things I could and should do to be a better/faster driver! I know I'm certainly not the fastest and I never will be. But at least he's out at the track trying to test a theory.

You may already know the answer to the overheating issue or have plenty of track experience and insight into turning faster laps. If so, provide advice, not sarcasm. That would be the friendly thing to do.

I don't care if a driver is faster than me, slower than me, drives a faster model, or an old rust-bucket that is slow as molasses. I thoroughly enjoy watching folks drive Corvettes the way they were intended!
Old 07-09-2019, 10:05 PM
16/C7Z
CF Senior Member

Received 1,385 Likes on 1,052 Posts

You are 10000% correct. It was condescending. It was not nice to type more easily explained in a friendly conversation.

It just gets so old hearong the same broken record. And in this case more so as i could see (barely) the tach pinned for most of the video.. idk what people expect from a huge CID with a blower on it?

Any blower car driven that way is going to overheat. There's no esxaping it. Honestly any high compression car without a fullsize truck fascia and radiator is going to get hot that way.

Another engine not pushed to the limits with less hp/tq may not.. but this is what happens when you compress air and more so i to a combustion chamber. The cylinder pressures are through the roof.

Maybe the 100 octane tune or even just some race gas would bring it down a bit. An offroad pipe and tune out the cats? Maybe get another 5 minutes of that high rpm thrash... but the OP is right. If you run the car that way it will overheat eventually.

Would love to see a ZR1 do the same. My guess would be it will eventually overheat as well just take longer.

These are my opinions. If someone doesnt agree? Say something about it. I never meant it to be personal. I only defended myself when the OP came after me. But I take the hit for typing what he mistook for a condescending tone. For that i apologize. Was not meant that way. At all.

I disagree with a lot of what he says in his videos and i enjoy them still.

Last edited by 16/C7Z; 07-09-2019 at 10:06 PM.
lobsterroboto (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 01:29 AM
C7ZO6
CF Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome videos,
I think every automatic transmission will overheat under those conditions,
but there is no excuse of water temperature go to overheating levels.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:42 AM
serpent
CF Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Has anyone tried a different hood with maybe larger vents? Maybe LG has a solution, I know they have a different front bumper too.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Received 134 Likes on 93 Posts

Xkilo, you do a great job on your videos. Thank you for making them. But you should look at the thread below about the guy with a 16 A8 who was overheating at the track. He got some advise about keeping the revs down, and he posted his PDR footage using the advise he was given. His 16 A8 did not overheat and he got better times. Now he is not a track rat yet like you, and that my be an advantage or maybe not (less experience in other cars). But lots of us who do occasional track days do not overheat while running with the faster guys by keeping the revs down and using torque. My 08 Z06 could rev to red line all day and not get hot, but with a supercharged engine you have to keep the revs down. I am certainly not calling out your driving skills....it is obvious you have them in spades, but sometime a little advise can help. Why not try the lower rev approach and make another video showing the result. I know I would really appreciate that. Thanks again for the great videos...and don't change anything on them they are great as is.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:07 AM
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Road machine View Post
Xkilo, you do a great job on your videos. Thank you for making them. But you should look at the thread below about the guy with a 16 A8 who was overheating at the track. He got some advise about keeping the revs down, and he posted his PDR footage using the advise he was given. His 16 A8 did not overheat and he got better times. Now he is not a track rat yet like you, and that my be an advantage or maybe not (less experience in other cars). But lots of us who do occasional track days do not overheat while running with the faster guys by keeping the revs down and using torque. My 08 Z06 could rev to red line all day and not get hot, but with a supercharged engine you have to keep the revs down. I am certainly not calling out your driving skills....it is obvious you have them in spades, but sometime a little advise can help. Why not try the lower rev approach and make another video showing the result. I know I would really appreciate that. Thanks again for the great videos...and don't change anything on them they are great as is.

Listen to the video. He didn't even go to redline but once at the end of the video on 2 gears. If you just listen it sounds like he's doing an autocross.

Stop telling him to keep the revs low. He did that already. He said the trans overheated. Not the engine. He didn't have enough straights to get air to the coolers.

@xkilo16x what were your coolant temps when the trans overheated? That's the bad part on the autos. You said oil was 280.

I'm surprised your trans overheated with the chin cooler. Thats odd. I'm guessing your coolant was at 260 also. Please verify.

A lot of people don't overheat these cars and say the car doesn't overheat. That's because the driver isn't fast or the track is easy on the engine. Just because someone didn't hit limp mode doesn't mean the car isn't running too hot.

This isn't a problem only z06s have. The new Civic type R overheats even faster.

If you want the car to run hard, consistently and be able to do a full session without having to slow down. You'll have to modify it.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-10-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Svtracer14

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by serpent View Post
Has anyone tried a different hood with maybe larger vents? Maybe LG has a solution, I know they have a different front bumper too.
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the problem may be two, or even three fold. I would imagine that if the airflow were more directed to the intercoolers/radiator behind the front bumper, ala the ZR1, along with the ability to extract the heat more so from the hood, it may help the coolant temperatures stay more under control. Perhaps someone has more experience with directing and extracting air with the C7's and can speak to this.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:26 PM
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Svtracer14 View Post
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the problem may be two, or even three fold. I would imagine that if the airflow were more directed to the intercoolers/radiator behind the front bumper, ala the ZR1, along with the ability to extract the heat more so from the hood, it may help the coolant temperatures stay more under control. Perhaps someone has more experience with directing and extracting air with the C7's and can speak to this.
Hood will help. But you can't pull air out that's not there. Hood should be the last step. it's fairly expensive. Acs has heat extractors that are much cheaper and should provide similar results. If you take your hood ducting off and put your hand on the vent, you'll notice the fan only blows out the last Louvre or 2 of the vent. Air has to go somewhere else right? So it should have plenty of room to leave below the car. For example, I Iremoved the splash shield below the steering rack. This solves power steering overheating issues likely because some air from the radiator is now flowing down under the car (like most cars do).

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-10-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:36 PM
Vick415

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the video, keep em coming and listen less to the no sayers
Old 07-10-2019, 02:12 PM
serpent
CF Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
Love your videos. Always an art. Your Auto will overheat the coolant in a regular track. The short track doesn't provide enough air to the trans cooler, at higher speeds the trans cooler will do fine but the radiator then can't keep up.

Btw the 2019 auto has a thicker radiator. So there was SOME improvement.

Look into the Dewitt's thread. Should be your next upgrade. If you don't want to mess with the oil cooler (pain in the ***) then just get the trans/coolant combo.

Also ignore the short shift comments. Obviously you were testing if the car overheated. It does. It's as stupid as the many many comments we see here:
"I have never overheated my Z06 on track" while the driver is in the green group running 15 seconds behind pace at 55 degree ambient.

Btw your manual would overheat in one of the southern tracks too. Anything in Texas basically.

It is what it is. AMG GTS can run forever and not overheat. Stock mustang GT. The same. Zl1 the same. Anyone that defends the Z06 overheating problem is in denial.
Add viper to that list. Thatís the beauty of NA of road course work.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:32 PM
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member

Lol @ keeping the revs low.

People must not understand how gearing works then.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:39 PM
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member

Lol @ keeping the revs low.

People must not understand how gearing works then.
Well it still works. Put your car in 3rd and set cruise control on at 70 mph. Then put it in 7th. Watch your coolant temps. Guarantee it creates more heat in 3rd.

Hell. I can run within 0.5 to 1.0 sec of my lap times if I drive ***** out in 2nd,3rd,4th by just leaving it in 4th all lap. Using just about the same amount of throttle. But my coolant temps will drop significantly. That's how I used to run cool down laps in my old procharged car when it was 100+ out but still be able to keep up with traffic.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-10-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does the 2019 Z06 still overheat?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: