Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the 2019 Z06 still overheat?

Old 07-10-2019, 03:08 PM
NinjaBum
CF Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Guess if it wasn't "intended" or "designed" for that then GM should have put in a 5k redline all the time like break-in then. No bad press, no need for upgraded cooling, just put in a 15 speed transmission with a 5k redline and no more worries.

The following users liked this post:
RobGZ06 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 03:34 PM
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 440 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
Well it still works. Put your car in 3rd and set cruise control on at 70 mph. Then put it in 7th. Watch your coolant temps. Guarantee it creates more heat in 3rd.

Hell. I can run within 0.5 to 1.0 sec of my lap times if I drive ***** out in 2nd,3rd,4th by just leaving it in 4th all lap. Using just about the same amount of throttle. But my coolant temps will drop significantly. That's how I used to run cool down laps in my old procharged car when it was 100+ out but still be able to keep up with traffic.
I know that.

So what about being in a higher gear at low rpm, low mph for the gear but you're going wot.

You're saying that wont generate heat? Never mind you're putting a heavier load on the engine, when you're supposed to downshift?

Funny how a8 guys are trying to handicap a TRACK CAR FOR THE TRACK lol

That's why m7 is a better choice. A8 is garbage. At least the gm a8.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:03 PM
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member

Received 507 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
I know that.

So what about being in a higher gear at low rpm, low mph for the gear but you're going wot.

You're saying that wont generate heat? Never mind you're putting a heavier load on the engine, when you're supposed to downshift?

Funny how a8 guys are trying to handicap a TRACK CAR FOR THE TRACK lol

That's why m7 is a better choice. A8 is garbage. At least the gm a8.
It will heat up sure. But not as much for the engine. This is on my m7...
Old 07-10-2019, 05:22 PM
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
It will heat up sure. But not as much for the engine. This is on my m7...
Wait, what won't heat up as much? The trans or the engine? I'm not talking about the M7, i'm talking about the A8 and how all the a8 guys are preaching to short shift to keep the revs low on a track. If you're not doing competitive racing, and just need to get by to hit the pits, then yes this would be suffice.

But to be competitve on a track, you're going to short shift your A8, to keep the rpm's low just so the car doesn't overheat?? LOL
Old 07-10-2019, 06:40 PM
desibaba
CF Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts

My 18 z06 auto has never heated. When I went in May 2018 to Ron Fellows not one car over heated. I even opened the hood to make sure they didnt have anything extra in there.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Newton06
CF Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I've instructed at no fewer than 8 HPDE events last year at VIR.

(Then the T5b tirewall suddenly came out of nowhere).

My stock 2018 M7 never overheated running a 2:06 pace, even in upper 90' ambient temps.

Now, I have been in multiple older C7 Z06 student cars that have gone into limp mode, which really sucks.

These armchair comments about GM engineering being crap compared to the Germans, or the A8 being garbage are ridiculous. Ask me how many late model student Porsche's, Audi's, & BMW's I've been in that have gone into limp mode for various reasons...
Old 07-10-2019, 07:46 PM
Thunder22
CF Senior Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06 View Post

My stock 2018 M7 never overheated running a 2:06 pace, even in upper 90' ambient temps.

Now, I have been in multiple older C7 Z06 student cars that have gone into limp mode, which really sucks.

These armchair comments about GM engineering being crap compared to the Germans, or the A8 being garbage are ridiculous. Ask me how many late model student Porsche's, Audi's, & BMW's I've been in that have gone into limp mode for various reasons...

How many late model student Porsche's, Audi's, & BMW's have you been in that have gone into limp mode for various reasons.?

Last edited by Thunder22; 07-10-2019 at 07:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BrunoTheMellow (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 08:09 PM
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member

Received 507 Likes on 404 Posts

You know what's interesting. Everyone seems to have good results at VIR. Must be the track layout and the nice air. You stay above 100 for 3/4 of the course.

My friend's 2017 A8 z06 (with 2019 radiator) did do 2 laps at MSR cresson 3.1 (5 minutes) at fast pace before it hit 250 water. This track has a 80 mph average speed at Z06 pace. VIR is 95 mph. That could be the difference in cooling we see.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-10-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:24 PM
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member

How many?

Plus you lose credibility if you actually think the GM A8 is anywhere near the level of a proper auto used in most german cars.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:21 PM
desibaba
CF Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
How many?

Plus you lose credibility if you actually think the GM A8 is anywhere near the level of a proper auto used in most german cars.
Every morning when I put my 18 z06 in reverse the whole car shakes and it makes a very loud clunk sound but when I start driving it seems to be okay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does the 2019 Z06 still overheat?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: