C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

It has been asked before, but it is a new day

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 08:42 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Obviously it's your money and your choice but it comes down to this. Is it with 10k to you to have the same car 3 years newer? I know you listed the differences but you're really reaching there hard core of I'm being honest to justify the money in your head. Imo. That's nuts. I would wait a couple of years and trade up to a real upgrade in the c8 Z06. This 10k put aside for that endeavor down the road.

I know me. If I was thinking of doing this and actually pulled the trigger. In short order after the shine wore off the new penny (car). I would be really pissed at myself. I don't mind spending money for nice things but I mind waste. This to me is a pure waste. Especially when we're on the cusp of a brand new model dropping. That's my two cents.

In the end after the newness wears off you got the same car. But are 10k poorer. No bueno.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:21 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I ordered a 19 z a few weeks ago to replace my 15z. It has 15,000 miles but the warranty will expire next March. For me the full warranty, plus the improvements, is worth the additional cost. What changed with the control arms?
Old 07-08-2019, 09:22 AM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Location: Love the Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway, Milton GA and Jupiter FL
Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Savoy2001
Obviously it's your money and your choice but it comes down to this. Is it with 10k to you to have the same car 3 years newer? I know you listed the differences but you're really reaching there hard core of I'm being honest to justify the money in your head. Imo. That's nuts. I would wait a couple of years and trade up to a real upgrade in the c8 Z06. This 10k put aside for that endeavor down the road.

I know me. If I was thinking of doing this and actually pulled the trigger. In short order after the shine wore off the new penny (car). I would be really pissed at myself. I don't mind spending money for nice things but I mind waste. This to me is a pure waste. Especially when we're on the cusp of a brand new model dropping. That's my two cents.

In the end after the newness wears off you got the same car. But are 10k poorer. No bueno.
Awesome,

I like and respect your opinion. I can even agree as I just traded my 18 GMC pick up for the new AT4 (Denali with Lift) the factory lifted truck. It cost me about $12,000. My old truck only had 5 or 6000 miles on it and after the shine wore off the new penny, I don't like the way it drives as much so I'm a little upset with myself.

Your point I believe,

I'm not really infatuated with the whole new mid engine concept, if I do become a new adopter it's gonna be a while before the prices moderate and availability gets to the point that I'll feel comfortable with it. My 16Z I was able to buy it for about 20% off of MSRP but it took a lot of effort between finding the deal, buying GM points, getting a credit for financing and then paying it off and so on.

But here again I'm jumping to conclusions, I don't know what I don't know. The C8 could be awesome and I could be enamored when it's uncovered, enjoy the car I have for a few more years as I don't track it and it is a convertible in blue my favorite color with an automatic transmission and it flat hauls azz.

With all due respect and appreciation of your reply thank you Sir,
Kevin
Old 07-08-2019, 10:19 PM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Location: Love the Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway, Milton GA and Jupiter FL

Thank you my fellow clan members

It appears that the dealer more than likely wants $20,000 now to trade me up :-(

I don't think that makes financial sense as my car is perfectly fine with some minor imperfections. So I am likely going to sign off and say thank you to all for your support and input on this particular topic.

Good night All

Kevin ;-)

Last edited by Kevin Marshall; 07-08-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:37 PM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Kevin

I agree +20k to trade up to the 2019 is too much. I traded in a 2015 Z51 3LT M7 for my 2019 ZO6 2LT M7. The Z51 had 49,800 miles. I lucked out and got everything except competition seats on a car that had been on the floor for 3 months. Dealer was scared he was stuck with it and made me a great deal. total difference was 20K. I think you should find a better deal.

Also agree the C8 is scary in year 1 & 2. I am holding out for the 2023 - C8 with an M7!
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Marshall (07-09-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 10:42 PM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Thank You TBF

Kevin
Old 07-09-2019, 01:59 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Marshall
Good Evening to my fellow Clan Members,

But the 19 has the right trans fluid, the mag ride update the bigger radiator the different lid on the supercharger an upgraded differential, better dash display, new control arms, longer warranty and no miles.

Kevin Marshall ;-)
Be careful with the 19 blanketed statement regarding the newest fluid that keeps moisture out of the trans. It started February 2019 according to the plant manager I communicate with on a bi weekly or monthly basis depending.

I ordered a 19 exactly the way I want. That will replace my 16 with about 8k miles on it. Itll be near the end of the run of the FE cars. And I'm sure the C8 will performan better as it is evolved. But not the base car. And the Z06 version is going to be a while down the road before I would ever consider it (remember when the C7Z came out?).

Not to mention an ME car is a totally different world. One I'm not to engaged in having friends with both yet always see them in their FE Ferrari or SUV than the ME Lambos. Maybe its these roads around here? Idk. Have to wait and see.

The 19 has it all. The better everything even down to control arms and diff.

The better program for the displays. Better paint. And it's a reset on the clock. Total cost to upgrade for me vs what I paid for my 16 is about 14k with tax difference. To me it's a no brainer.. I got my 16 w 20% off and gm points .. so I lucked out. Now I'm cashing in.

Good luck OP. Get the warranty the best one they make. I worry about these cars once they're out lol. Everything is a nightmare to fix.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Marshall (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:58 AM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I ordered a 19 z a few weeks ago to replace my 15z. It has 15,000 miles but the warranty will expire next March. For me the full warranty, plus the improvements, is worth the additional cost. What changed with the control arms?
Good morning Sir,

My car still has some bumper-to-bumper warranty and if I don't trade I'm buying 84 months 50,000 mile warranty and Dennis for about $1700. The price is excellent because I'm below the 10,000 mile mark and I don't drive a lot so I'm only going to get the 50,000 mile additional plan as of now if the car goes 5000 miles a year it be a lot.

To answer your question about the control arms I don't know but I'm sure it's some little basic geometric adjustment for handling traction and tire wear. Likely need to ask the people here that are much smarter than I.

Thanks again, Kevin :-)

Last edited by Kevin Marshall; 07-09-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:08 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Thanks Kevin. I track my car heavily and I was worried the extended warranty wouldn't cover me. I only had 15,000 miles but most were track miles. I also didn't have as good a deal as you. They offered me 51 for my 15 3lz and it honestly looks new. It's got a full xpel wrap so no paint chips, etc. If I hadn't tracked the car I wouldn't even consider trading it.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:32 AM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
You know the pros, you know the cons. Aspire to greater things. The only properly sorted out c7 is the ZR1. no afm to throw a malfunctioning AFM lifter valve into the engine, no A8 issues cause the v8 never goes into california earthquake-shaking V4 mode. Good ole port injection to keep the back of all the valves carbon buildup-free, whereas all the other C7's DO NOT have this feature. And all the radiators they could squeeze under the body. Just too damn expensive for me (now) for 100 more hp. The ZR1 will have 3 years of btb, so there will still be warrantable used ones starting at 2021 that the Fichtner warranty can be applied to. $10k after bringing your 16 up to snuff will grow in an investment fund, (and unless we have witnessed the birth of the C7 Ferrari 250 GTO equivalent in the ZR1), the C7 ZR1 prices will decline like the 2010 C6 ZR1's did.

when faced with your question in May '19, i DID buy the new Z06/Z07. But it was a big step up as i only had a Z51 stingray. And if my projections are off and the ZR1 takes off in value like a Ferrari, i still gots a real nice C7Z to see me through 10 years btb, 3 on chevy and 7 on Fichtner. But i won't own a C7 a day after it goes out of warranty. And never a C8; there be a Superformance Daytona Coupe made new to aspire to if there are no more FE vettes.

Good luck with your decision!
Great post,

Your thoughts are very lucid and intelligent. I likely will keep my money, I'm just getting older feeling I might as well spend some of it as I can't take it with me $15,000 is not that big a deal. Although on second thought that might not really be true as I have three children and only one of my houses is paid for. I don't really have enough money in retirement should I live that long.

As others eluded to none of the differences in the car amount to much of anything for me as I don't track it. It's an automatic. So I'm going to buy some tires, get a couple of updates, flush the trans, get an extended warranty from Fichtner and enjoy what I have.

Lastly to add insult to injury, I was dreaming thinking I was going to only spend $15,000 the dealer is at $20,000 plus.

Thank You Sir :-)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Be careful with the 19 blanketed statement regarding the newest fluid that keeps moisture out of the trans. It started February 2019 according to the plant manager I communicate with on a bi weekly or monthly basis depending.

I ordered a 19 exactly the way I want. That will replace my 16 with about 8k miles on it. Itll be near the end of the run of the FE cars. And I'm sure the C8 will performan better as it is evolved. But not the base car. And the Z06 version is going to be a while down the road before I would ever consider it (remember when the C7Z came out?).

Not to mention an ME car is a totally different world. One I'm not to engaged in having friends with both yet always see them in their FE Ferrari or SUV than the ME Lambos. Maybe its these roads around here? Idk. Have to wait and see.

The 19 has it all. The better everything even down to control arms and diff.

The better program for the displays. Better paint. And it's a reset on the clock. Total cost to upgrade for me vs what I paid for my 16 is about 14k with tax difference. To me it's a no brainer.. I got my 16 w 20% off and gm points .. so I lucked out. Now I'm cashing in.

Good luck OP. Get the warranty the best one they make. I worry about these cars once they're out lol. Everything is a nightmare to fix.
Thank you so much for the great follow up second reply.

You and I think very much alike.

I was fortunate enough to get about 20% off and I bought some GM points $.50 on the dollar to get me there. If I could get to the $14,000 number like you did I might do it. I'm more likely at 50% more than that as I am at $21,000 with the dealer so I think were too far apart. The cars are basically identical. In my world with a longer warranty from Fichtner, a few changes and updates I still really have the same car. I just do a little spirited driving in cool weather on mountain roads so I'm probably good.

Thanks a lot man :-)

Last edited by Kevin Marshall; 07-09-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:49 AM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Thanks Kevin. I track my car heavily and I was worried the extended warranty wouldn't cover me. I only had 15,000 miles but most were track miles. I also didn't have as good a deal as you. They offered me 51 for my 15 3lz and it honestly looks new. It's got a full xpel wrap so no paint chips, etc. If I hadn't tracked the car I wouldn't even consider trading it.
Check with Dennis Fichtner.
I believe you can buy the factory warranty on that car for under three grand for 84 months and 65,000 more miles. If you haven't tuned the car the warranty should cover you for what ever you do, the cars built for that.

My deal this is not so good it's likely turned into $21,000 and I'm going to decline.

Get a hold of Dennis by the warranty give yourself peace of mind and track the living daylights out of the car.

All my best kind sir, Kevin :-)

Last edited by Kevin Marshall; 07-09-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:02 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Mine was well over 30 and I went from a 3lz to a 2lz. I got a black interior and I'll be using racetech seats so the 3lz didn't bring any value for me.I got the pdr and that's the only thing I would have missed on the 3lz. I'm 60 and still working and I paid cash for the other car and will for this one. I had a valve spring break and that made me start thinking about trading. I had planned to wait for the second year of the me. I think I'll actually come out cheaper this way because I'll keep this car 3 years and by then the me will have discounts. I bought my 19 for a lot less than my 15 and I know it will be a better car.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:50 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

The point of diminishing returns plays here. For me under 15k for 3 yrs newer ordered to my spec with every option and the updates? No brainer.. I'm not rich. But it was spend almost 2200 for warranty and another 2k for tires next year battery etc etc etc.

I'd rather reset clock and have exactly what I want with all the updates through this gen and wait for the ME cars to be sorted out as well as see how my friend's ownership experience plays out first.

The best year of a generation has always been the last.
The following 2 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
badhabit_wb (07-09-2019), Kevin Marshall (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 02:43 PM
James Walt
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great comments gentleman
Old 07-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

I’d try a different dealer like Kerbeck or Macmulkin. 12% off a 2019 shouldn’t be hard to find. That puts most c7’s in the 80-85k range with NICE options.

figure you get 20k less than that when you sell yours, but you save $2000 on warranty, $1000 on service and 1800 on tires. That’s almost 5 grand. Plus you have paint scratches that are bothering you so figure another $1000 to fix those. That’s 6k.

so you’re at 14k + tax to get a new 2019. Over the next 5 years (Powertrain warranty) that only costs you $3000/yr.

up to you. The tax part is the killer. Here in CA that’s ~$8000 everytime you buy a car on this price range. So that makes it $4600/yr to upgrade to the new 2019
Old 07-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
The point of diminishing returns plays here. For me under 15k for 3 yrs newer ordered to my spec with every option and the updates? No brainer.. I'm not rich. But it was spend almost 2200 for warranty and another 2k for tires next year battery etc etc etc.

I'd rather reset clock and have exactly what I want with all the updates through this gen and wait for the ME cars to be sorted out as well as see how my friend's ownership experience plays out first.

The best year of a generation has always been the last.
This is pretty much exactly my thought other than 20 grand. I don't know if they'll bang me for tires or whatever else when I go to trade-in plus that. The warrantee for me is only $1700 for 84 more months and 50 more thousand miles.

My car seems to need a fair amount of more stuff as well, I think the trans flush is like $500, the differential fluid change, I'm betting is $200, the tires I'm guessing are about $1800, the mag ride up date $400 and an oil change $150 and that's just the minimum. $3200 Plus or minus.

I see you posting a lot, I think you're very literate, and of course you're making me rethink my position. I would like my position much better at my car $15,000 I'm not so sure at $20,000.

So real world add the warrantee I am at $5000.

While I'm at it they gave me a $64,000 trade number sight unseen and likely will clip me for tires I would guess the car I'm trying to buy is $84,000 including dealer fee so for me it would be $20,000 plus sales tax. I did follow up this morning after speaking with them yesterday hoping that maybe they would be a little more flexible but at this moment I think they're at 20 grand. It doesn't appear if I look at the inventory at any of the big three they have any automatic convertible Z. This particular dealer has a white and a blue.

Thanks again any further input one way or another you guys want to give me is great if you want to remind me that I'm a bonehead to spend the money as my car will be fine with the warrantee please feel free to tell me that.

I share your sentiment that the last year of any generation is always the best and has always gotten better. The C7 to me is very much a grand touring, luxury sports car. I had a Mercedes SL 63 it was $157,000 car didn't like it as much. Not near as much fun to drive.

Thank You Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Marshall; 07-09-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To It has been asked before, but it is a new day

Old 07-09-2019, 07:35 PM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
I’d try a different dealer like Kerbeck or Macmulkin. 12% off a 2019 shouldn’t be hard to find. That puts most c7’s in the 80-85k range with NICE options.

figure you get 20k less than that when you sell yours, but you save $2000 on warranty, $1000 on service and 1800 on tires. That’s almost 5 grand. Plus you have paint scratches that are bothering you so figure another $1000 to fix those. That’s 6k.

so you’re at 14k + tax to get a new 2019. Over the next 5 years (Powertrain warranty) that only costs you $3000/yr.

up to you. The tax part is the killer. Here in CA that’s ~$8000 everytime you buy a car on this price range. So that makes it $4600/yr to upgrade to the new 2019
Thank you for your reply your points Excellent !!!

The big ones I understand don't want my trade, and since it has small imperfections, very small but considering the nature of Corvettes, I might get there and get my azz handed to me.

Are we not past the point where we can order one? I think we're past the point of ordering new, so I believe I'm relegated to what is currently on the ground or in coming?

I've always been a fan of seeing the bride before I marry her, meaning I've been much better able to make a deal on a car that's on the ground that I can look at with the trade there so they can evaluate it so everyone knows exactly where were at.

I've looked at the inventory on the website at, Kerbeck, Stanford, Chriswell and no automatic, convertible Zs

Lastly I guess I'm fortunate as the sales tax rate in Florida in my county is only 6% and would only be on the difference, so if I spent 20 grand my sales tax would be $1200.

Thank you Sir
Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Marshall; 07-09-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:44 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,143 Posts

It's a sign. Wait ONE MORE WEEK!!

You will see the C8. Then if it looks promising, then just do a 3 year lease on a 19 Z, that way when 2022 comes around, the C8Z will be out, then you can hop in that.

800hp, DCT!!

Life is good!
Old 07-09-2019, 09:20 PM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
It's a sign. Wait ONE MORE WEEK!!

You will see the C8. Then if it looks promising, then just do a 3 year lease on a 19 Z, that way when 2022 comes around, the C8Z will be out, then you can hop in that.

800hp, DCT!!

Life is good!
Once again thanks for the reply,

I'm not much of a guy who leases as it's just a long-term rental. I like to purchase things, then I have control of what they cost me and when I exit. Unlike a lease where you have to pay the balance of your lease payments even if you turn it in early. To me I have nothing to show for my money at the end of the lease.

I have gotten fairly close to ChazCron and have been watching the renders and the car looks "OK" but maybe that's just because of the camo. I'm not enamored with the mid engine design. The current Z with the blower and the instant torque is already ridiculously fast, I can't believe you can just buy that thing off the showroom floor if you have the Jack !!!

As I have asserted in the past, if I were to be really moved by the C8 I have a feeling it's four or five years before I would buy one. It's at this point the higher horsepower version would likely be out and Supply will have met demand moderating prices.

My thought process on this thread was not really about whether I'm getting a C8 or not it was about if I should spend money or not and if so how much going from a 16 to a 19 made sense.

Once again thanks to all who have participated and shared their insight with me.

Kevin :-)

Quick Reply: It has been asked before, but it is a new day