Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page >

It has been asked before, but it is a new day

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It has been asked before, but it is a new day

Old 07-07-2019, 06:11 PM
Kevin Marshall
CF Senior Member

Location: Love the Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway, Milton GA and Jupiter FL
Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Default It has been asked before, but it is a new day

Good Evening to my fellow Clan Members,

I'm debating getting a 19 ZO6 and trading in my 16 ZO6.

The 16 needs all of the normal various things from transmission fluid flush to a differential Service and tire change. It's been gently pelted with small rocks before I was aware of a problem a little late for expel.

Yes, the 16 has the front cameras and the Apple CarPlay.

But the 19 has the right trans fluid, the mag ride update the bigger radiator the different lid on the supercharger an upgraded differential, better dash display, new control arms, longer warranty and no miles.

I'm sure I missed a few but you all get the point.

So to put things in perspective, I'm on my 7th or so New Corvette. The best one I ever had until the Z, was my 08 C6 as it came with the LS3, new mapping in the transmission and the other various things I can't even remember. (Mid Cycle Update AKA Bugs worked out) I kept that car for 8 years (Crazy Long for Me but it was a great Toy) until trading it in on my 16Z.

Just so everybody's on the same page, I am debating trading a Laguna blue for an Elkhart blue, automatic, droptop, 2LZ, like for like, with Nav and PDR.

The 16 was a late purchase, as it was a left over so it's only 27 months in service and it's has 9500 miles on it. No A8 transmission problems that I'm aware of yet. Although I am under 10,000 miles. I usually sport the thing around using the paddles as I love to shift it and hear the engine. I love to Hear it Bark from first to second and second to third (probably one of my favorite things about the Car) when I'm on it hard.

Very important point do the 19s still Bark and shoot flames out of the exhaust between first and second and second and third? I know people might argue this point, I think they cut the ignition and not the fuel when shifting and when it comes back on (the ignition) it and Barks and shoots flames I dig it !!!

I find a lot of comfort in being a late adopter after the bugs are worked out. The main reason for considering the 19 is the bugs should be worked out of the transmission and other things by now.

If I were to get a new C8, it's going to be, I think 4 or 5 years away, so they can get the bugs worked out and I want the ZO6 equivalent. Secondly, I typically like "not to pay" MSRP on a depreciating asset.

The car I'm buying and the car I am trading in, are about the same. My 16 was 100 grand the 19 is 96 grand. My 16 had a little more carbon fiber. I'll have my stage 2, exposed areo moved from one car to the other kind of equalizing them.

I think when the dust settles I'm trying to work a deal where I'm at $15,000.

I did the Ben Franklin close. I added the pros and the cons.

My 16 in order for me to flush, maintain, put tires on and bring back up to speed and then get the GMEPP it will cost me about $5,000. So equal to equal I think I'm at about $10,000 real money to step up three years and get something that's at the end of its evolution, or in my world perfected.

What say my brethren about my expenditure?

My financial resources are not limitless nor am I poor. I can afford reasonable toys. I try to make good value decisions. I'm a car Guy.

I love my ZO6!!! I just made 58 years old and I'll be surprised if I live to be 65 or 70. I'm friggin high mileage and I know God can take me any day.

I'd like to thank all my fellow Forum clan members for their input and their entertainment. Not only with this thread but all the other ones that I enjoy.

Kevin Marshall ;-)

Last edited by Kevin Marshall; 07-09-2019 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Brevity
Old 07-07-2019, 06:39 PM
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 440 Likes on 362 Posts

If you love the z06 that much, the answer is easy. Go with the 19.

If you like to experience other cars, i would entertain that idea as well. Like you said, god can take you any time (although you should never think like that, but it is true).

For me, i LOVE the C7Z. So much that i "thought" about doing the same. Trading my 16 for a 19.

But then i thought, why? Are the extra revisions that much worth it if you're driving habits are the same? This is speaking from personal experience but i don't need the updated display (i keep gauge in sport 90% of the time anyway), don't need for a better supercharger lid (if i wanted a better SC, i'd get a heartbeat, which is even better). I can change the rear fluid myself (actually debating on doing it myself in 2 weeks) and the warranty, at least powertrain warranty i'm good for another 2 years.

I won't say i'm bored with this car, but i like new things. So i'm at like 75% right now with this car, meaning that 25% of me wants to get rid of it lol.

And i know in 2 years when i am completely out of warranty, i'll probably be around 30-40% of me wanting to keep the car, and the remainder percentage will tell me to get something else.

Overall, i don't know why people get rid of their Z, for another. Makes no sense to me.

If you want something different, and love the C7, get the ZR1. That would make sense to me. Not from one Z to another Z.
The following 3 users liked this post by RobGZ06:
16/C7Z (07-09-2019), Kevin Marshall (07-07-2019), Savoy2001 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member

Received 364 Likes on 293 Posts

I used the same thought process going from my 09 z06 to a brand new 2017 z06 ó looking at getting the heads addressed , new tires etc- I figured out of pocket was 17k to step into an 8 year newer car / new generation. Go for it if it is what you want. I think your math is good on the dollars.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Marshall (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 06:53 PM
patriotpa
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

As long as retirement, etc. is taken care of, get whatever you want. You can't take it with you.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Cercone
CF Senior Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I started a thread earlier this year on a similar sale and got a lot of great feedback, maybe look it up it was sweeter than your deal and I didnít do it. Mine is paid off and I would of paid of the 19 difference in cash. The issue is there is such a slight improvement as far as performance and you still have a warranty if you got the extended (I bought the extended after my decision to pass on the 19 for very cheap since I was under 10k). When you have it you most likely wonít notice any of those slight improvements. For bragging rights sure, but mine had 9k miles at the time had the mag ride update and then I drove my dads buddies new c719. I couldnít tell any difference. Itís your choice bud, you can sell yourself either way especially if you plan on keeping the c7 for the long haul.

Last edited by Cercone; 07-07-2019 at 07:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cercone:
Kevin Marshall (07-07-2019), RobGZ06 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 07:14 PM
Kevin Marshall
CF Senior Member

Location: Love the Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway, Milton GA and Jupiter FL

Originally Posted by Cercone View Post
I started a thread earlier this year on a similar sale and got a lot of great feedback, maybe look it up it was sweeter than your deal and I didnít do it. Mine is paid off and I would of paid of the 19 difference in cash. The issue is there is such a slight improvement as far as performance and you still have a warranty if you got the extended (I bought the extended after my decision to pass on the 19 for very cheap since I was under 10k). When you have it you most likely wonít notice any of those slight improvements. For bragging rights sure, but mine had 9k miles at the time had the mag ride update and then I drove my dads buddies new c719. I couldnít tell any difference. Itís your choice bud, you can sell yourself either way especially if you plan on keeping the c7 for the long haul.
Cercone,

That's a great reply and I do believe I read your thread as it was a 16 to 19 comparison.

My car likely is fine. I just need to spend a few dollars on it, get the extended warranty for about $1700 from Dennis Fichtner, get the mag ride update done, get the trans fluid changed, put new tires on it ect.

It's likely not all that good a deal, I figured what the hell kind of $15,000, $5000 a year so to speak and I have a new car again and did not need to play around with the dealer or the trans flush really the other stuff.

But like Shakespeare said a fool and his money are soon parted and I probably need to hold on a little. I'm just not enamored with the C8. Although I might be jumping to conclusions, if I am it will be a very long time away.

Thank you Sir Kevin
Old 07-07-2019, 07:17 PM
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member

Received 556 Likes on 424 Posts

get the new 19 and quit wasting time summer will be over soon
Old 07-07-2019, 07:24 PM
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member

Received 507 Likes on 404 Posts

I dont know who lied to you. A z06 does not shoot flames stock.
Kevin Marshall (07-09-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 07:36 PM
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 440 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Cercone View Post
I started a thread earlier this year on a similar sale and got a lot of great feedback, maybe look it up it was sweeter than your deal and I didn’t do it. Mine is paid off and I would of paid of the 19 difference in cash. The issue is there is such a slight improvement as far as performance and you still have a warranty if you got the extended (I bought the extended after my decision to pass on the 19 for very cheap since I was under 10k). When you have it you most likely won’t notice any of those slight improvements. For bragging rights sure, but mine had 9k miles at the time had the mag ride update and then I drove my dads buddies new c719. I couldn’t tell any difference. It’s your choice bud, you can sell yourself either way especially if you plan on keeping the c7 for the long haul.
That's at least how i view it. People going from an previous year Z to a newer one, just to say they own the current year lol.

I mean read the threads the past couple of months. Everyone always has to start with, "so my 19Z.......". What tire pressures are good for a 19Z?? As if tire pressures are different from a 15 or a 19 lol. Which will be funny in about 2 weeks, and then even funnier in 5-6 months when their brand "new 19Z", will be not new anymore LOL

If your 16 is high mileage, lots of wear and tear, then it will start to make more sense. OR, if you have an auto and want to try a manual, or vice versa, then yeah i'll start making sense to all this. But if your car has like 15k miles and you wanna trade it to a brand new one lol, to me that makes zero sense. I know everyone is entitled to buy whatever they want. But since this is a discussion thread, opinions are stated.

Either way, good luck man! And enjoy this beast.

Last edited by RobGZ06; 07-07-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:47 PM
NineVettes
CF Senior Member

Received 179 Likes on 110 Posts

SInce you are soliciting opinions, here is mine. To clarify, I bought a '19 M7 2LZ just the way I wanted it, back last Sept for $76k. Last and best of the FE Z06 cars, and of course (for me, not you) last chance to get a manual transmission. I have had a lot of Vettes, mostly Z06's and ZR1s, and have followed the C7 Z06 carefully as GM slowly addressed most of the problems with it, starting in 2017. Evolutionary changes included considerably better cooling (although even in '19, autos are not recommended for heavy road course use). That was important to me, maybe not so much for you. There were some iterations of MSRC programming upgrades, last one was incorporated into the 19's. The 19's have much better paint quality (due to the new shop in BG) - the paint on my Admiral Blue rivals the paint quality on my wife's '19 Mercedes GLC 300. Several upgrades from the ZR1 program were also incorporated into the '19s. So, I stepped off the curb and bought my first C7 Z last August.

Two things I still don't like are: The C7 Z is heavy (about 450 lbs heavier than my C6 Z06) and the wheels have very spotty quality control at best, and are heavy. Many stories of bent or cracked wheels, including two of mine after two track outings. Maybe you will luck out with the wheels. Replaced mine with Forgelines to save a lot of weight and end the bent wheel problems once and for all.

And think about this. GM has been building front engine Vettes since 1953 and supercharged Vettes since the C6 ZR1 introduced in 2009, yet it still took them a few years to eliminate some of the more serious problems with the C7 Z06. What do you think is gonna happen when they introduce an all new ME architecture? Sure, they are hedging their bets a bit with the base car by putting in a thinly disguised LT1 motor in it (LT2 with maybe 25 more H/P). But when the new ME Z06 version shows up with a smaller displacement twin turbo DOHC engine combined with DCT, I will be sitting back, enjoying my '19, and letting the eager beta testers wring that baby out for at least 2 years.

By that is just me.

YRMV
Old 07-07-2019, 07:52 PM
dvilin
CF Senior Member

Received 3,348 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Just do it.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Kevin Marshall
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
I dont know who lied to you. A z06 does not shoot flames stock.
Thanks for the reply,

I picked the car up right at Niagara Falls. I put the 500 miles on it and got the oil changed. The electronic nannies just came off as we pulled up to the north end of skyline Dr. It was about 630 at night and I sold my C6 to a friend who was following me. I was out front and started to run the car a little to get familiar with it. When I was on it pretty hard above five grand plus keeping in my foot in it from 1st to 2nd and second or third it was definitely shooting flames out of the exhaust.

Now, maybe it was just more visible because it was dusk on a very dark treed mountain road, but he told me multiple times the car was shooting flames out.

I couldn't see it because I was too busy driving it, but that was his story and he's sticking to it.

All my best,
Kevin :-)
Old 07-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Dellrose
CF Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I’ve also got a 2016 Z that I love. My thoughts currently is to drive the hell out of it for another five years then trade it in on a used C8 Z. My situation is obviously not yours, but that’s my two cents.
Kevin Marshall (07-08-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 08:23 PM
Kevin Marshall
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
That's at least how i view it. People going from an previous year Z to a newer one, just to say they own the current year lol.

I mean read the threads the past couple of months. Everyone always has to start with, "so my 19Z.......". What tire pressures are good for a 19Z?? As if tire pressures are different from a 15 or a 19 lol. Which will be funny in about 2 weeks, and then even funnier in 5-6 months when their brand "new 19Z", will be not new anymore LOL

If your 16 is high mileage, lots of wear and tear, then it will start to make more sense. OR, if you have an auto and want to try a manual, or vice versa, then yeah i'll start making sense to all this. But if your car has like 15k miles and you wanna trade it to a brand new one lol, to me that makes zero sense. I know everyone is entitled to buy whatever they want. But since this is a discussion thread, opinions are stated.

Either way, good luck man! And enjoy this beast.
Hey I appreciate your reply,

Believe it or not, I'm not into the bragging rights at all, to me the point is moot if it's a 15 or a 19. The difference really was the concern over the A8 transmission and the maintenance items being due. I like the car enough to want to get another one so I think it will last that much longer. I'm probably being a little man narrowminded here as I can't think of a car I'd like to replace it with.

Probably not the best financial decision. I thank all the people here that are likely to help me to keep my money, which is why I asked the question.

Best of the fourth to you Sir,
Kevin
Old 07-07-2019, 08:37 PM
Kevin Marshall
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by NineVettes View Post
SInce you are soliciting opinions, here is mine. To clarify, I bought a '19 M7 2LZ just the way I wanted it, back last Sept for $76k. Last and best of the FE Z06 cars, and of course (for me, not you) last chance to get a manual transmission. I have had a lot of Vettes, mostly Z06's and ZR1s, and have followed the C7 Z06 carefully as GM slowly addressed most of the problems with it, starting in 2017. Evolutionary changes included considerably better cooling (although even in '19, autos are not recommended for heavy road course use). That was important to me, maybe not so much for you. There were some iterations of MSRC programming upgrades, last one was incorporated into the 19's. The 19's have much better paint quality (due to the new shop in BG) - the paint on my Admiral Blue rivals the paint quality on my wife's '19 Mercedes GLC 300. Several upgrades from the ZR1 program were also incorporated into the '19s. So, I stepped off the curb and bought my first C7 Z last August.

Two things I still don't like are: The C7 Z is heavy (about 450 lbs heavier than my C6 Z06) and the wheels have very spotty quality control at best, and are heavy. Many stories of bent or cracked wheels, including two of mine after two track outings. Maybe you will luck out with the wheels. Replaced mine with Forgelines to save a lot of weight and end the bent wheel problems once and for all.

And think about this. GM has been building front engine Vettes since 1953 and supercharged Vettes since the C6 ZR1 introduced in 2009, yet it still took them a few years to eliminate some of the more serious problems with the C7 Z06. What do you think is gonna happen when they introduce an all new ME architecture? Sure, they are hedging their bets a bit with the base car by putting in a thinly disguised LT1 motor in it (LT2 with maybe 25 more H/P). But when the new ME Z06 version shows up with a smaller displacement twin turbo DOHC engine combined with DCT, I will be sitting back, enjoying my '19, and letting the eager beta testers wring that baby out for at least 2 years.

By that is just me.

YRMV
I have to thank you for the incredible amount of time you put into that reply. It would've taken me a freaking hour and a half to type that out on my phone. I have read quite a few of the threads and do understand the evolutionary differences. My story was I went from that 08 C6 and made the big leap to the 16 Z. The 16 Z does not have all the bugs worked out and I figured if I can make a good deal, and I like the Elkhart blue because it's a little lighter than the Admiral, my second choice. I thought I might do it as I've had manuals a good portion of my life and I really like the new Auto to me it's the best of both worlds. I'm not dropping the clutch and smoking the tires but I could lite them up if I want.

Great points,

Best of the Fourth of July weekend to you Sir
Kevin
Old 07-08-2019, 12:52 AM
SilverGhost
CF Senior Member

Received 428 Likes on 243 Posts

You know the pros, you know the cons. Aspire to greater things. The only properly sorted out c7 is the ZR1. no afm to throw a malfunctioning AFM lifter valve into the engine, no A8 issues cause the v8 never goes into california earthquake-shaking V4 mode. Good ole port injection to keep the back of all the valves carbon buildup-free, whereas all the other C7's DO NOT have this feature. And all the radiators they could squeeze under the body. Just too damn expensive for me (now) for 100 more hp. The ZR1 will have 3 years of btb, so there will still be warrantable used ones starting at 2021 that the Fichtner warranty can be applied to. $10k after bringing your 16 up to snuff will grow in an investment fund, (and unless we have witnessed the birth of the C7 Ferrari 250 GTO equivalent in the ZR1), the C7 ZR1 prices will decline like the 2010 C6 ZR1's did.

when faced with your question in May '19, i DID buy the new Z06/Z07. But it was a big step up as i only had a Z51 stingray. And if my projections are off and the ZR1 takes off in value like a Ferrari, i still gots a real nice C7Z to see me through 10 years btb, 3 on chevy and 7 on Fichtner. But i won't own a C7 a day after it goes out of warranty. And never a C8; there be a Superformance Daytona Coupe made new to aspire to if there are no more FE vettes.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by SilverGhost; 07-08-2019 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:42 AM
Pacembellum
CF Senior Member

Received 268 Likes on 208 Posts

doesnít sound like you track so the little changes donít matter. Go with what color you like and interior you enjoy. Paint dings bother me a lot and I covered my 17z in suntek immediately. Iíd get the 19, but in a manual. Itís such a nice driving manual honestly. Clutch A little sticky/tricky at slow speeds but itís a Vette youíll get used to it.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:41 AM
Carvin
CF Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 160 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Kevin Marshall View Post
Thanks for the reply,

I picked the car up right at Niagara Falls. I put the 500 miles on it and got the oil changed. The electronic nannies just came off as we pulled up to the north end of skyline Dr. It was about 630 at night and I sold my C6 to a friend who was following me. I was out front and started to run the car a little to get familiar with it. When I was on it pretty hard above five grand plus keeping in my foot in it from 1st to 2nd and second or third it was definitely shooting flames out of the exhaust.

Now, maybe it was just more visible because it was dusk on a very dark treed mountain road, but he told me multiple times the car was shooting flames out.

I couldn't see it because I was too busy driving it, but that was his story and he's sticking to it.

All my best,
I think your buddy was kidding around.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:16 AM
DevilDog II
CF Senior Member

Received 441 Likes on 309 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
As long as retirement, etc. is taken care of, get whatever you want. You can't take it with you.
I traded in my '16 with 5,000 miles on the odometer for a '19. Same color, same color interior, but with a few different options. If you're financially stable, go for it. Life is too short.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:40 AM
Kevin Marshall
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DevilDog II View Post
I traded in my '16 with 5,000 miles on the odometer for a '19. Same color, same color interior, but with a few different options. If you're financially stable, go for it. Life is too short.
Thank you,

Financially stable is a very elusive goal. I have three kids, one of the houses paid for and two of the kids college is paid for but they're all smarter than wanting to go to standard Florida universities. So I don't know, daughter wants to go to medical school. The government really only lets us put so much money very modest into retirement without heavy taxation. So like you said, life is short but I'm gonna think about it because it $10 or $12,000 if I put it in the right equity could grow nicely over the next few years, although I think everything is toppy,

Top of the new day to you Sir,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It has been asked before, but it is a new day

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: