C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

ZO7 clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 06:30 PM
bman4261
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ZO7 clutch issue

I've put 3000+ carefree and exhilarating miles on my 2017 ZO7 M7 since I bought it new.This past weekend my 27 yo son came up for a visit and we went for a ride. He has had some previous experience driving manual cars so I pulled over and let him give it a go in an empty parking lot near my home. He jerkingly stalled the car three times before we both decided it best to get me back behind the wheel. Afterwards when I was driving the car, I noticed that the I wasn't feeling the astounding "grip" that I usually felt when accelerating out of 1st gear-it felt more like a hesitancy coming up thru the RPMs to the 2nd gear shift point. Is it possible that the clutch plate was glazed/damaged in his 3 attempts? Are ZO6 clutches that fragile? Any insight is welcomed.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:26 AM
bman4261
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bman4261
I've put 3000+ carefree and exhilarating miles on my 2017 ZO7 M7 since I bought it new.This past weekend my 27 yo son came up for a visit and we went for a ride. He has had some previous experience driving manual cars so I pulled over and let him give it a go in an empty parking lot near my home. He jerkingly stalled the car three times before we both decided it best to get me back behind the wheel. Afterwards when I was driving the car, I noticed that the I wasn't feeling the astounding "grip" that I usually felt when accelerating out of 1st gear-it felt more like a hesitancy coming up thru the RPMs to the 2nd gear shift point. Is it possible that the clutch plate was glazed/damaged in his 3 attempts? Are ZO6 clutches that fragile? Any insight is welcomed.
Bump.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

You would not feel any hesitancy, you would see the revs clime while speed did not. Did he rev it high and ease the clutch to slowly? It doesn't sound like he did to me. Did you smell burning clutch....any smoke?? The best test is put the car in seventh gear while driving as slow as you can in that gear, then floor it. If the revs jump up way faster than the speed, you are slipping the clutch.
The following users liked this post:
James Walt (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 AM
bman4261
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

RM, He didn’t rev the car high at all - he just just nudged the RPMs and then slowly let out the clutch. I didn’t smell any burning and no smoke either. I’ll check out the 7th gear test ASAP. Thank you for the help!
Old 07-09-2019, 02:38 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

I think you will find that everything is just fine. Let your son off the hook. He must be very worried that he messed up dads car.
The following users liked this post:
Scoobydoobydoo (07-09-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 12:23 PM
Prime Target
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 171 Posts

I seriously doubt he did any damage. Sounds like that Texas heat pulling some timing out of your motor.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO7 clutch issue

Quick Reply: ZO7 clutch issue