C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Warranty claim help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 02:05 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
I've been on the forum for many years. I can't claim to have read every post regarding engine issues but I've read a bunch. This is the first I can recall where the customer was given shi$ about doing their own oil changes. Just saying....

Has anyone ever seen where GM claims you can't change your own oil and what does or doesn't constitute sufficient documentation & receipts?
Same here. It won’t stop me from changing my own oil.

After reading this, I do think I will do a better job of organizing my documentation. In addition to well organized receipts, I will take a pic of the car up on the ramps in my shop, with a full oil drain pan, and new jugs of oil and filter. Pics are time stamped. Anything can be faked for sure, but I also know that written logs are taken seriously in law suits.

To those blaming the OP for authorizing, and then paying - I can’t blame him. I do not like my Corvettes sitting in a shop any longer than is absolutely necessary.

Good luck to the OP.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:32 PM
cmichels1999
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Same here. It won’t stop me from changing my own oil.

After reading this, I do think I will do a better job of organizing my documentation. In addition to well organized receipts, I will take a pic of the car up on the ramps in my shop, with a full oil drain pan, and new jugs of oil and filter. Pics are time stamped. Anything can be faked for sure, but I also know that written logs are taken seriously in law suits.

To those blaming the OP for authorizing, and then paying - I can’t blame him. I do not like my Corvettes sitting in a shop any longer than is absolutely necessary.

Good luck to the OP.
In speaking to a shop foreman at a different dealership, he indicated that taking a picture of the odometer at oil change establishes the date from the date/timestamp and the mileage. Also including a picture of the oil and oil filter along with the purchase receipt and a spreadsheet log will give full proof of the oil change.

On taking the offered $5,400 I was told it was a take it or leave it deal. I asked to speak to the regional manager but was told that he said no negotiation.

​​
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (11-30-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Lawyer up.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
I've been on the forum for many years. I can't claim to have read every post regarding engine issues but I've read a bunch. This is the first I can recall where the customer was given shi$ about doing their own oil changes. Just saying....

Has anyone ever seen where GM claims you can't change your own oil and what does or doesn't constitute sufficient documentation & receipts?
It has always been a question of complete documentation and from what the OP indicates he didn't provide complete documentation. Receipts for the oil and filters is part of the documentation but not all of it. There has to be something that show the service was actually completed, I suspect this can be something as simple as a logbook that records mileage and when oil changes were performed. I keep one that shows the date and mileage every time I fill the tank, change the oil or perform other maintenance work such as change transmission fluid and diff fluid. Since it is filled out on a monthly sometimes daily basis depending on what I am doing with the car it is solid documentation that shows when the service was performed.

The best way for the OP to proceed is to use the letter writing method and address his concerns to top management along with telling her/them exactly what he considers the resolution should be. It always helps in resolving a complaint when you know exactly what will make the Customer Happy. Give them a chance to be magnanimous. The letter doesn't need to go into extensive detail except the engine going bad, providing the documentation and how surprised he was that he had to pay that money.

As for dealers charging money for warranty repairs it happens all the time. I had it happen to me and when I wrote a letter to the President of GM, I received a phone call from the dealer service manager about 4 days later complaining about my complaint to GM. He was very angry and said nothing would ever come out of it, Then I received a check from the dealership covering the complete cost of the repair two days later. The following day a GM Rep called and asked if I was satisfied with the resolution. It turns out GM had an extended warranty that covered the part that failed, the dealer repair shop knew about the warranty but didn't bother to inform me and charged me for the repair along with submitting a warranty claim to GM. This wasn't the first time the service manager had done this and it wasn't long after that until the dealership went out of business even though it sold/repaired a mix of one Domestic brand and four German brand cars.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-10-2019 at 06:25 PM.
ZR-1DUDE (07-15-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 06:37 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by cmichels1999
In speaking to a shop foreman at a different dealership, he indicated that taking a picture of the odometer at oil change establishes the date from the date/timestamp and the mileage. Also including a picture of the oil and oil filter along with the purchase receipt and a spreadsheet log will give full proof of the oil change.

On taking the offered $5,400 I was told it was a take it or leave it deal. I asked to speak to the regional manager but was told that he said no negotiation.

​​
Great point on the odometer pic !!
Old 07-10-2019, 08:13 PM
cmichels1999
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It has always been a question of complete documentation and from what the OP indicates he didn't provide complete documentation. Receipts for the oil and filters is part of the documentation but not all of it. There has to be something that show the service was actually completed, I suspect this can be something as simple as a logbook that records mileage and when oil changes were performed. I keep one that shows the date and mileage every time I fill the tank, change the oil or perform other maintenance work such as change transmission fluid and diff fluid. Since it is filled out on a monthly sometimes daily basis depending on what I am doing with the car it is solid documentation that shows when the service was performed.

The best way for the OP to proceed is to use the letter writing method and address his concerns to top management along with telling her/them exactly what he considers the resolution should be. It always helps in resolving a complaint when you know exactly what will make the Customer Happy. Give them a chance to be magnanimous. The letter doesn't need to go into extensive detail except the engine going bad, providing the documentation and how surprised he was that he had to pay that money.

As for dealers charging money for warranty repairs it happens all the time. I had it happen to me and when I wrote a letter to the President of GM, I received a phone call from the dealer service manager about 4 days later complaining about my complaint to GM. He was very angry and said nothing would ever come out of it, Then I received a check from the dealership covering the complete cost of the repair two days later. The following day a GM Rep called and asked if I was satisfied with the resolution. It turns out GM had an extended warranty that covered the part that failed, the dealer repair shop knew about the warranty but didn't bother to inform me and charged me for the repair along with submitting a warranty claim to GM. This wasn't the first time the service manager had done this and it wasn't long after that until the dealership went out of business even though it sold/repaired a mix of one Domestic brand and four German brand cars.

Bill
This is a great idea and I don't know why I did not think of it. I will write a respectful and concise letter to the President of GM.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:07 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

The op lost a lot of leverage when he agreed to the arrangement and paid the $5400. The time to argue was when the dealership made the offer and before the op signed on the dotted line. As far as the suggestion to withhold payment to the credit card company and have them retrieve the $5400 for you, don't even waste you time looking up the phone number. Just move on at this point.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:55 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I agree with a couple others that have mentioned this might have been dealer induced. Rarely have I had GM ask for specific maintenance requirements for a vehicle under warranty. How many miles are on the car? What is your history with the dealer? Typically a ring or piston failure that wasn't caused by aftermarket calibrations would be straight forward and GM would authorize a replacement, especially if there was block or cylinder liner damage.

Did GM offer to repair the engine, but had you pay the difference to get a new assembly instead? I've had several customers that elect to pay the difference for a new assembly because you get a 3 year / 100k mile warranty on that engine if you pay for a portion of it. It's more common with transmission repairs because the difference in cost isn't as high, but we've done it on engines as well.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 PM
cmichels1999
Instructor

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I agree with a couple others that have mentioned this might have been dealer induced. Rarely have I had GM ask for specific maintenance requirements for a vehicle under warranty. How many miles are on the car? What is your history with the dealer? Typically a ring or piston failure that wasn't caused by aftermarket calibrations would be straight forward and GM would authorize a replacement, especially if there was block or cylinder liner damage.

Did GM offer to repair the engine, but had you pay the difference to get a new assembly instead? I've had several customers that elect to pay the difference for a new assembly because you get a 3 year / 100k mile warranty on that engine if you pay for a portion of it. It's more common with transmission repairs because the difference in cost isn't as high, but we've done it on engines as well.
Thanks for the further input. Here are answers to your questions.

The car has about 18k miles on it. GM had the dealership take the engine down and run their nail along the cylinder wall to see if there were any gouges. The dealership felt none. The service manager told me later that GM was pushing for a rebuild but he wanted to replace the engine. I have had no prior interactions with the dealership. I was attending a track event away from home.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default What?

Originally Posted by carcrazysammy
Good to know. It is hard for me to imagine that all of the lying and cheating that happens on the sales floor doesn't go to the service department. After it is all under the same roof and management.
Where does this come from. The biggest lies on a dealer sales floor come from the customers.

All dealer invoice information is available on the internet. All book value is available on the internet. There is car facts. What can they lie and cheat about in today’s day?
Old 07-12-2019, 10:14 AM
carcrazysammy
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit_Bill
Where does this come from. The biggest lies on a dealer sales floor come from the customers.

All dealer invoice information is available on the internet. All book value is available on the internet. There is car facts. What can they lie and cheat about in today’s day?

No disrespect intended. You must sell cars or something else. What I consider lying you call negotiation. When a sales guy says to a young lady with a credit score of 835 "the best rate we can offer you is 11.99%" is that not a lie or is that negotiation? I would call that a lie.

Yes she should have come better prepared and after I came to help out we got the rate down to less than 3%. That is the kind of practice I see as lying, cheating ect...

I have seen similar things in service departments as well. Abel Chevrolet and Walnut Creek Ford service departments are the only ones I have had 100% positive transactions with and recommend them to friends and family.

Anywhoo, OP, I hope you can get to the bottom of this. It would be interesting to see where exactly that $5400.00 amount came from.
Harbgrogan (11-30-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrazysammy
No disrespect intended. You must sell cars or something else. What I consider lying you call negotiation. When a sales guy says to a young lady with a credit score of 835 "the best rate we can offer you is 11.99%" is that not a lie or is that negotiation? I would call that a lie.

Yes she should have come better prepared and after I came to help out we got the rate down to less than 3%. That is the kind of practice I see as lying, cheating ect...

I have seen similar things in service departments as well. Abel Chevrolet and Walnut Creek Ford service departments are the only ones I have had 100% positive transactions with and recommend them to friends and family.

Anywhoo, OP, I hope you can get to the bottom of this. It would be interesting to see where exactly that $5400.00 amount came from.
Second that on Abel Chevrolet. Rich and crew have always done a good job with my car. Nobody is perfect and one time there was a sensor mount issue they fixed it on a drop in very quick .
Old 07-12-2019, 01:32 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 276 Posts

]The service manager told me later that GM was pushing for a rebuild but he wanted to replace the engine. I have had no prior interactions with the dealership. I was attending a track event away from home.
I wonder if they put in a new engine, GM only agreed to a rebuild cost, and you paid the difference.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:50 PM
cmichels1999
Instructor

Originally Posted by atljar
I wonder if they put in a new engine, GM only agreed to a rebuild cost, and you paid the difference.
They put a new engine in. The car display shows the engine hours and that was reset.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:41 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the further input. Here are answers to your questions.

The car has about 18k miles on it. GM had the dealership take the engine down and run their nail along the cylinder wall to see if there were any gouges. The dealership felt none. The service manager told me later that GM was pushing for a rebuild but he wanted to replace the engine. I have had no prior interactions with the dealership. I was attending a track event away from home.
I'm surprised the 3 included oil change services the car came with were not adequate for maintenance history. of course that's ASSuming you had all 3 done at the dealership and then switched to doing your own. Really, the car would have only required 2 or 3 total oil changes by 18k if you followed the oil life monitor.

If there wasn't any cylinder wall damage, rebuilding it would not have been an issue. Without seeing the engine personally it's impossible to agree one way or the other, but it doesn't sound like a replacement was required.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:18 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 276 Posts

They put a new engine in. The car display shows the engine hours and that was reset.
Correct, thats what I said...

Not correct math/numbers but something like this:
Gm agreed to rebuild cost and paid dealership: $5000
Dealership didnt want to rebuild, and installed new engine: $10,000 cost

Your portion: $5000 difference.

Last edited by atljar; 07-12-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:43 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

But you have a totally new motor and not one that was rebuilt in a dealer service bay by a tech that may or may not been competent to do said rebuild. Given that it was not your normal dealer I think the new motor and bearing the extra cost was a good deal for you and a good decision. If I am at Abel Chevrolet or my old race car sponsoring dealer (now long since sold for real estate development) where I absolutely know the competence of their service department than I would go the less expensive rebuild. But at a dealer out of your normal area because of a track day event you traveled to, the new motor makes all sort of sense.

Get notified of new replies

To Warranty claim help

Old 07-14-2019, 11:14 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Ouch....

Rebuild? Or $5k but new NEW engine?

Tough one man...
Old 07-15-2019, 12:11 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

I wonder if the dealership pulled a fast one and did a rebuild on your engine and called it a new one.

A letter to GM may be in order just to be sure things are on the up n up.

D.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:49 PM
us3rname
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 106 Posts

Did you happen to ask what impact oil had on the ring that failed? Sounds like they were looking for a way out of the claim.

Quick Reply: Warranty claim help