Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure warning twice

 
Old 07-10-2019, 09:11 AM
  #1  
Synacks
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Synacks's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 352
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Low oil pressure warning twice

I've had the low pressure warning come on twice now in the past 4-5 hours of driving time. Bone stock C7 Z06 with no tune, 22K miles.

The car has 35-45psi while in gear and driving regularly. As soon as I come up to a stop sign or a red light and slow down, the oil pressure will dip down severely. Today is has been dipping to 10-15psi, a few times to right below 10psi, and once this morning at 5 or below to trigger the warning. Warning only, no check engine lights or anything else.

It was an extremely mild drive in medium street/highway traffic. No funny business or going fast. Every single time I came to a stop it took a heavy dip.

What are some things I can check on myself before taking it to the dealership?
Synacks is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 09:18 AM
  #2  
Prime Target
CF Senior Member
 
Prime Target's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: New Windsor NY
Posts: 973
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

You’re still within the power train warranty. Dont screw around with it. Take it to the dealer. Could be something as simple as a faulty oil pressure sensor, or something as serious as a main bearing failure.
Prime Target is offline  
The following users liked this post:
BlackBandit (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 09:20 AM
  #3  
Synacks
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Synacks's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 352
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Prime Target View Post
You’re still within the power train warranty. Dont screw around with it. Take it to the dealer. Could be something as simple as a faulty oil pressure sensor, or something as serious as a main bearing failure.
The gauge is quite jumpy, I think you might be on to something about the sensor. The car drives great otherwise. I'll just take it in.
Synacks is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 09:25 AM
  #4  
Prime Target
CF Senior Member
 
Prime Target's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: New Windsor NY
Posts: 973
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

I hope it’s just the sensor so you don’t have major down time with your car. Let us know how it works out.
Prime Target is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:26 AM
  #5  
gve
CF Senior Member
 
gve's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Appleton Wisconsin
Posts: 1,152
Received 338 Likes on 151 Posts
Default

Did you check the oil level?
gve is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 04:58 PM
  #6  
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member
 
Mr. Gizmo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 5,157
Received 364 Likes on 293 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Synacks View Post
I've had the low pressure warning come on twice now in the past 4-5 hours of driving time. Bone stock C7 Z06 with no tune, 22K miles.

The car has 35-45psi while in gear and driving regularly. As soon as I come up to a stop sign or a red light and slow down, the oil pressure will dip down severely. Today is has been dipping to 10-15psi, a few times to right below 10psi, and once this morning at 5 or below to trigger the warning. Warning only, no check engine lights or anything else.

It was an extremely mild drive in medium street/highway traffic. No funny business or going fast. Every single time I came to a stop it took a heavy dip.

What are some things I can check on myself before taking it to the dealership?
Have you checked the oil per the manual. Warm up to 175 degrees—- shut off for 5 minutes no longer then 15 minutes and pull the dip stick on the sump. With oil in between the cross hatch marks? With a 10.5 quart fill it should be at the top of the mark.
Mr. Gizmo is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:12 PM
  #7  
BlackBandit
CF Member
 
BlackBandit's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Albany GA
Posts: 53
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I would monitor your oil pressure full time now, keep it pulled up, look down at every stop. When I had issues with my CTSV it would be low to mid 30's while driving and 5-8 at red lights. After the dealer, if it still dips to 10 or even 5, change the oil. I'm assuming you aren't running E85. If after the oil change and you still see 10 or lower, you more than likely have a main bearing issue. They replaced my sensor twice and it still dropped to 5-8 with new oil, car seemed to perform flawlessly which confused the hell out of me too. Sorry to hear you are having issues. Good luck.
BlackBandit is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:03 AM
  #8  
Synacks
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Synacks's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 352
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo View Post
Have you checked the oil per the manual. Warm up to 175 degrees—- shut off for 5 minutes no longer then 15 minutes and pull the dip stick on the sump. With oil in between the cross hatch marks? With a 10.5 quart fill it should be at the top of the mark.
Originally Posted by BlackBandit View Post
I would monitor your oil pressure full time now, keep it pulled up, look down at every stop. When I had issues with my CTSV it would be low to mid 30's while driving and 5-8 at red lights. After the dealer, if it still dips to 10 or even 5, change the oil. I'm assuming you aren't running E85. If after the oil change and you still see 10 or lower, you more than likely have a main bearing issue. They replaced my sensor twice and it still dropped to 5-8 with new oil, car seemed to perform flawlessly which confused the hell out of me too. Sorry to hear you are having issues. Good luck.
Oil has been checked and all is good. I am due for an oil change though, just picked up the oil and filter to get it done next week.

Turned out the sensor plug was slightly loose and it has been re-secured and working great now. When I come to a stop or any time I shift to neutral now, it never goes below 25psi. And the pressure readings are much smoother and less jittery.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Synacks is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by Synacks:
ajrothm (Today), BlackBandit (07-12-2019), Mr. Gizmo (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 03:42 PM
  #9  
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member
 
Mr. Gizmo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 5,157
Received 364 Likes on 293 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Synacks View Post
Oil has been checked and all is good. I am due for an oil change though, just picked up the oil and filter to get it done next week.

Turned out the sensor plug was slightly loose and it has been re-secured and working great now. When I come to a stop or any time I shift to neutral now, it never goes below 25psi. And the pressure readings are much smoother and less jittery.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Great. - happy that was an easy fix!

where is the sensor located on the lt4?
Mr. Gizmo is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 10:16 PM
  #10  
CJ Willys
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 980
Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Default

Take it immediately to dealer
CJ Willys is online now  
Old Today, 04:27 PM
  #11  
C5-VERT
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
C5-VERT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2001
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 5,412
Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default

I have exactly the SAME issue. Mine was low on oil but now I am curious about the sensor plug b/c it's exactly the same issue you state. Thanks for sharing this and the fix!
C5-VERT is online now  
Old Today, 04:29 PM
  #12  
C5-VERT
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
C5-VERT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2001
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 5,412
Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default


Oil Pressure sensor location (GM 2017 Service Manual)
C5-VERT is online now  
Old Today, 04:31 PM
  #13  
C5-VERT
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
C5-VERT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2001
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 5,412
Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default

FYI oil temp sensor is at the bottom of the Main Oil Tank inside the lower passenger front quarter panel.
C5-VERT is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low oil pressure warning twice


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: