C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

GM performance air intake, no tune? Not so fast.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 02:03 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by dar02081961
Cant see it here but are you logging the closed loop open loop PID?
You are probably in closed loop but often times if you are not above 190* engine coolant temp you wont go closed loop.
The only way to be sure is to log the PID.

Point is if you are using a cooler thermostat you may not go CL when you normally would anticipate.
The car is in closed loop. Your information is very inaccurate, especially regarding the E92 ECU's.

Last edited by Internets_Ninja; 07-24-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:08 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I had the dealer install the GM CAI on my '16 and ordered it as a factory option on my '19. Personally, I couldn't tell a "seat of the pants" difference on my '16.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:35 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I had the dealer install the GM CAI on my '16 and ordered it as a factory option on my '19. Personally, I couldn't tell a "seat of the pants" difference on my '16.

The car is already so fast that its near impossible to feel a small increase in power.

Last edited by Internets_Ninja; 07-24-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:30 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Thanks for the before/after. Even at $386 for the GM part, plus install labor by the dealer, it sounds like one of those "5%" deals; as in Z06 stock already has 95% of performance baked-in, that additional 5% is gonna cost you.

More power than i can use already,

Reduced fuel economy from too-rich fuel mixture

dealer won't spot me a dime more for it at trade-
In time.

Thank You!
Old 07-24-2019, 03:35 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
The car is in closed loop. Your information is very inaccurate, especially regarding the E92 ECU's.
What information regarding the E92 have I provided you that is inaccurate?
Old 07-24-2019, 04:08 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

What information regarding the E92 have I provided you that is inaccurate?
Closed loop operating temp. The E92(Gen V) uses a time delay based on Engine Coolant temp and does not have a cutoff threshold. It then has an additional table for desired equivalence ratio during the short Open Loop operations but wants to be in closed loop as soon as possible. The only temp limit in place on the E92's is LTFT learning where Coolant Temp has to be above 102F. This strategy is far different than the days of the old Gen 3 ECU's.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:04 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
If I remember correctly at WOT the peak OEM boost is 9.4 psi in the C7/Z06. In my car the 'few' times I have gotten a chance to watch the boost gage it has never exceeded 9.4 and usually falls a little short.
The only metric I'm using/reporting is 'my' dash boost gage reading and others may have seen higher gage readings. I have read that the dash boost gage and Data Log are not always in agreement. I'm also very aware that the weather i.e. Density Altitude (DA) the lower the better affects boost/performance "Big Time". I have seen some big 'minus' DA numbers at tracks like MIR when the records are set. Would like to know what those of you who are in the 'know' think about the stats below.

All Stats from forum:
An 875 foot DA change = .1/1mph.

Horse Power:
-3.5% per each 1000 ft. above sea level.
-1% per each 10° Fahrenheit above 60°
Old 07-24-2019, 09:23 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
Closed loop operating temp. The E92(Gen V) uses a time delay based on Engine Coolant temp and does not have a cutoff threshold. It then has an additional table for desired equivalence ratio during the short Open Loop operations but wants to be in closed loop as soon as possible. The only temp limit in place on the E92's is LTFT learning where Coolant Temp has to be above 102F. This strategy is far different than the days of the old Gen 3 ECU's.
You are correct I had forgotten GM changed the closed loop trigger in their torque based controllers.
In an effort to be helpful I answered from recall as I was without references.

For the record I am very familiar with the E92 as I have been tuning them since 2014.
I have also installed several CAI's (not the GM offering) on C7 Z06's and haven't had any go anywhere near 25% rich at idle.
I looked at few logs and after the CAI they idled with positive LT fuel trims by 3- 5% initially. (indicating slightly lean).

Hence my original suggestion that something else may have been out of order for your set up.
As I don't think it is normal to go 25% rich from the addition of any reputable CAI.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:13 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

You are correct I had forgotten GM changed the closed loop trigger in their torque based controllers.
In an effort to be helpful I answered from recall as I was without references.

For the record I am very familiar with the E92 as I have been tuning them since 2014.
I have also installed several CAI's (not the GM offering) on C7 Z06's and haven't had any go anywhere near 25% rich at idle.
I looked at few logs and after the CAI they idled with positive LT fuel trims by 3- 5% initially. (indicating slightly lean).

Hence my original suggestion that something else may have been out of order for your set up.
As I don't think it is normal to go 25% rich from the addition of any reputable CAI.
I agree going that far into fuel trims in either direction seems like it would have never passed any manufacturers tolerance, especially GM. But I have gone over everything and I have no intake leaks or exhaust leaks. The car runs great. The MAF sensor looks fine. The car has 12,000 miles and had a bone stock intake and filter on it up until I changed to the GM Performance Airbox. As I mentioned earlier I only took 10-12% of the fueling out in the idle MAF areas and the LTFT and STFT are back inline. I've noticed a tendency of the GEN V's to go into negative trims at idle after driving the car hard but never that far. Maybe the 10-12% I had to take out plus the tendency to go negative after hard runs is what pushed it over the edge of reasonable trims. But that still seems like it wouldn't pass GM's testing?

Either way I hope that someone else tests out the intake and report their before and after data as well so that we can establish if this is out of the norm or not for the GM Performance Intake.

Quick Reply: GM performance air intake, no tune? Not so fast.....