C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2017 A8 shudder issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 01:16 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Default 2017 A8 shudder issue

My 2017 Z06 with the A8 (25K miles on the odometer) has developed a "shudder" under light acceleration at highway speeds. It does it in both 8th and 7th gears but seems to go away under heavier acceleration in the lower gears. I have had the triple flush procedure completed last year but the shudder seems to be getting worse. (I already have the range device installed to keep it out of V4 mode to eliminate that potential issue). My service advisor thinks it may be a torque converter issue (rather than a transmission issue) and I have an appointment to take it in to him next month when I return from vacation for evaluation. Can anyone else that has had this issue chime in and let me know how it was resolved if the triple flush didn't fix it? My power train warranty ends in November, so I would like to get this resolved under warranty if possible.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:56 PM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a similar issue with a 2016 Z06 Z07 that I have posted before with no answers. I, too have a date with a Corvette technician. If I get results, I will post. Meanwhile does anyone have any suggestions for us?

Previous post:

My 2016 A8 will go into V4 mode at any time it feels like it. Most notably at street speeds (less than 45 mph). When it does sometimes there is a nearly indiscernible "rattle" sound or feel. Hard to really describe, but it goes into V4 frequently. If you read my post, quoted below you will see a description of the problem. I took it to the local dealer, took the service manager for a long ride and finally got it to replicate the problem. I have an appointment with their tech on 21 September. Unlike the OP, there is no backfire, only a rapid repeated power delivery interruption.
I received no replies to this post and figured I had worded it too much like a story and not enough like a question.

My post from 18 August this year:

2016 Z06 Z07 A8 unmodified, 26000 miles and never tracked. The triple flush was allegedly done.( I paid for it anyway.) No codes stored or pending, no freeze frame data. The symptoms have gotten worse with time. At part throttle with the car at operating temperature, it jerks and hesitates similarly to car with failing spark plugs but there is no miss. The outside temperature is 80's to 95. Car is in Montana and operated from 4000 feet to 8000 feet elevation. Slow application of the throttle makes the symptoms worse. Flooring of the throttle downshifts hard and it pulls correctly. I drove it in "Manual" mode with no perceptible difference in the performance. It seems to be worse in an uphill climb. This jerking is not imaginary, it shakes the car and is embarrassing and not befitting a car of this caliber. Is this a restatement of the A8 automatic transmission shudder or a different malady?
Thanks for your consideration .
The following users liked this post:
Boat Racer (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 08:16 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

bulletin for 2016 a8 triple tranny flush needed to fix problem. Had my 2016 done under warranty.dont know if 2017 has same problem.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:19 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shopteacher
I have a similar issue with a 2016 Z06 Z07 that I have posted before with no answers. I, too have a date with a Corvette technician. If I get results, I will post. Meanwhile does anyone have any suggestions for us?

Previous post:

My 2016 A8 will go into V4 mode at any time it feels like it. Most notably at street speeds (less than 45 mph). When it does sometimes there is a nearly indiscernible "rattle" sound or feel. Hard to really describe, but it goes into V4 frequently. If you read my post, quoted below you will see a description of the problem. I took it to the local dealer, took the service manager for a long ride and finally got it to replicate the problem. I have an appointment with their tech on 21 September. Unlike the OP, there is no backfire, only a rapid repeated power delivery interruption.
I received no replies to this post and figured I had worded it too much like a story and not enough like a question.

2016 Z06 Z07 A8 unmodified, 26000 miles and never tracked. The triple flush was allegedly done.( I paid for it anyway.) No codes stored or pending, no freeze frame data. The symptoms have gotten worse with time. At part throttle with the car at operating temperature, it jerks and hesitates similarly to car with failing spark plugs but there is no miss. The outside temperature is 80's to 95. Car is in Montana and operated from 4000 feet to 8000 feet elevation. Slow application of the throttle makes the symptoms worse. Flooring of the throttle downshifts hard and it pulls correctly. I drove it in "Manual" mode with no perceptible difference in the performance. It seems to be worse in an uphill climb. This jerking is not imaginary, it shakes the car and is embarrassing and not befitting a car of this caliber. Is this a restatement of the A8 automatic transmission shudder or a different malady?
Thanks for your consideration .
sounds like bad torque converter. Those are the symptoms.when did you have triple flush done?at what mileage?maybe damage already done and triple flush just prolonged it.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:01 PM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

On my 2016,the triple flush was done about 3000 miles ago. The shudder was not as pronounced as it is now. Issue was not bad after the flush was done but got progressively worse. It takes over 100 highway miles to show up but now when it does it is a significant jerk or shudder.
Boat Racer (09-19-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 12:54 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

On my 2016,the triple flush was done about 3000 miles ago. The shudder was not as pronounced as it is now. Issue was not bad after the flush was done but got progressively worse. It takes over 100 highway miles to show up but now when it does it is a significant jerk or shudder.
In my car, now cured via triple flush, the shudder felt like running over rumble strips, not so much like a jerk. Is the jerk experienced during shifting or steady state running? Have you tried a Range Device? I installed one right after the triple flush and everything is going well so far.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:53 PM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

This pretty much sums up the problem and solution attempts.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:43 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

This pretty much sums up the problem and solution attempts.

I had what you describe last year. I thought it was the TQ, or it needed the infamous triple flush and fill of the transmission know as the shudder issue. Of all things it turned out to be the differential! Replaced under warranty and now drives like a champ. (I previously had the torque tube replaced because of a rattle issue under light acceleration or coming to a stop)
The following 2 users liked this post by joemessman:
Boat Racer (09-20-2022), kdochert (11-28-2023)
Old 09-20-2022, 02:59 PM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

There is no noise or any mechanical type indication. The symptoms are only the jerk or shudder. At its worst it is similar to the sensation of running out of gas. No codes or indication of fuel or ignition problems.
Boat Racer (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 03:37 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

There is no noise or any mechanical type indication. The symptoms are only the jerk or shudder. At its worst it is similar to the sensation of running out of gas. No codes or indication of fuel or ignition problems.
That's what I'm experiencing also.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:45 PM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

I have an appointment tomorrow with the dealer. I will report on the outcome.
Boat Racer (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 08:02 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

I have an appointment tomorrow with the dealer. I will report on the outcome.
Great! I look forward to hearing back from you regarding the outcome of your dealer visit.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:56 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Hi Keith, I had the triple flush performed twice by Abel on my 2016. The first one was years ago when the bulletin first came out and then two years later when they changed the fluid formula. My car had the rumble strip symptoms. Now it's as smooth as silk. If Rich does another triple flush and you still have the symptoms, you're converter is likely shot. Willie
Boat Racer (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 08:11 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 383vett
Hi Keith, I had the triple flush performed twice by Abel on my 2016. The first one was years ago when the bulletin first came out and then two years later when they changed the fluid formula. My car had the rumble strip symptoms. Now it's as smooth as silk. If Rich does another triple flush and you still have the symptoms, you're converter is likely shot. Willie
Hi Willie, Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow morning but I have an appointment with Rich when I get back on Oct. 10th. Hopefully Rich's transmission guy can duplicate the issue and figure out if it's the converter or not.
Keith
Old 09-21-2022, 08:16 PM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

A call from the service writer (a former student) stated the torque converter is the culprit. On back order without an expected delivery date. It probably will be spring before I will be able to verify the repair. The car is in Montana, land of nine months of winter and three months of poor skiing.
Boat Racer (09-21-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 05:03 PM
blackbird345
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you getting a clunk when shifting to reverse? I was getting a shutter in reverse and regular driving, turned out to be a broken torque tube. May be work checking since its much easier to check than the torque converter.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:36 PM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

No noise going into or driving in reverse. I try not to back up much. A sign of weakness, I think.
blackbird345 (09-29-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 A8 shudder issue

Old 08-28-2023, 10:58 PM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

The latest from the land of mystery transmission shuddering. If you have been following, my last post discussed torque converter replacement. I got the car back from the dealer in May after a bizarre series of events that included digging the car out of five feet of snow, trailering it to town only to have the Corvette technician move necessitating a new hire and subsequent training. Four hundred miles later the symptoms are back. It takes about two hundred miles of constant driving for the shudder to show up but when it does, it is obvious. Nineteen hundred miles plus and there is no change. Three hundred fifty miles ago I installed a Range Device purchased from Range and STILL NO JOY.
The dealership diagnosed the failure, the warranty technician took a ride and agreed to the diagnosis but the Chevrolet extended warranty administrator will not tear down the transmission on their dime if specific damage internally to the transmission is not found. The dealer will not finance the tear down on their dime either. Appears no one trusts their own diagnostic procedures. I am in a stalemate with the dealership General Manager and am very frustrated with the dealership but primarily at a loss as to the value of the Chevrolet extended warranty. (The warranty was purchased from Dennis Fichtner on 10 June 2019 when he was Menholt)
The car has been scanned, driven, flushed, had a torque converter change and has the Range Device. Is this a transmission issue or have I missed something? If I drive it till it breaks then the warranty company will accuse me of operating a known bad vehicle and not cover it when the problem truly manifests itself.
I am lost.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:06 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

trade the car.easy fix
Old 08-29-2023, 10:45 PM
shopteacher
Instructor

Pro Mechanic

I don't want to give the car up nor do I want to pass off known problems to an unsuspecting person. I want it repaired correctly. That is not too much to ask.

Quick Reply: 2017 A8 shudder issue