C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Can 2018 ZR1 top Porsche's new ring record of 6:47 in their GT2 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 11:30 AM
joezr2
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jivor
As has been stated before, you need a driver who knows the "ring" like the back of their hand. That's why Sabine Schmidt can complete the course under 10 minutes in a minivan.
That wasn't a MINIvan, it was a Transit van!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:32 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
I'm just saying, it's going to take something extremely serious. I don't think it's going to best the P car.

The GT2 RS only weighs 3200 or so with a full tank, so like what, 300lbs lighter than the Z06 with Z07? It will take a serious diet to get the ZR1 down 300 lbs, then the GT2 has 700hp/553tq, so I expect a nice tq advantage to the ZR1, likely equal hp though.

I could see possible CF wheels on the ZR1, but nothing as extreme as rear axle steering. Downforce should be a wash between the two, as will tires.

Unless they have something crazy up their sleeve we don't see coming, I feel pretty comfortable with my assumptions.

Generally I look at HP to Torque comparo...always favoring a higher torque to HP number for faster acceleration especially when that number comes at a lower RPM. On the track, with engines routinely running w/ higher maintained RPM, that torque advantage diminishes.

The ZR1 is going to have a very tough time to get close the Porsche numbers much less besting it. IMO.

Drag race, the ZR1 may win...............
Old 09-28-2017, 11:34 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Nick Tandy has a reputation as being the finest, or one of the finest, 911 drivers in the world (which is how he landed a job in the LMP1 program).

Last edited by sunsalem; 09-28-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:47 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

That was great run by the Porsche. I enjoyed watching it. Looked like it hit for a moment 194 mph on the final straight. For reference the ACR-E could only muster around 170 mph.

I doubt the Corvette will be as fast as the Porsche. I am curious to see if GM even releases an official time.

One thing that struck me was how well behaved the Porsche seemed during that run. Apparently a very well sorted car.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:47 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Nick Tandy (their LMP1 program driver) and Lars Kern (factory driver) both took turns.

What does me driving it have to do with anything? Would you argue the C7 variants have superior handling to the 911 variants?

I wouldn't.

What would be different here, then?

Unless the Zr1 gets a completely new chassis and completely overhauled suspension (which I'm pretty sure it won't, likely component changes within) it would be hard to make the argument otherwise.
I don't know how to quantify "superior handling". How about lap times?
In the best Apples to Apples contest I can think of (Car and Driver Lightning Lap 2016), the GT3RS was ONE TENTH of second faster than the GSZ07 around VIR Grand Course. Both cars were on Cup 2's, the Porsche has 40 more horsepower and weighs less. So, in this measurement, I question the "superior handling" claim.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:49 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
That was great run by the Porsche. I enjoyed watching it. Looked like it hit for a moment 194 mph on the final straight. For reference the ACR-E could only muster around 170 mph.

I doubt the Corvette will be as fast as the Porsche. I am curious to see if GM even releases an official time.

One thing that struck me was how well behaved the Porsche seemed during that run. Apparently a very well sorted car.
If GM does release a time, it will NOT be the prototype shown.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:34 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

I'd give it less than a 1% chance. I'd be happy with a sub seven minute lap.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:10 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette
I'd give it less than a 1% chance. I'd be happy with a sub seven minute lap.
I agree. You'll look far and wide to find more of a Corvette homer than me, and you won't find him. And I don't think the ZR has a chance of matching that time. If the ZR lays down a time with "6" at the front of it, I think the Corvette family should regard that as pretty well done with this current platform.

The Porsche run is simply stupendous.

Hat tip to the boys in Stuttgart.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:24 PM
blueDelusions
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

There's no way. The Z06 was already at the limit of it's handling. I would be shocked if it hit 7 minutes. If it hits under 7 minutes I'll buy one.

Last edited by blueDelusions; 09-28-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:47 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,866 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I think a 6:55-7:05 is likely. What a great run by Porsche and what a great time to be a car guy.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:51 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I don't know how to quantify "superior handling". How about lap times?
In the best Apples to Apples contest I can think of (Car and Driver Lightning Lap 2016), the GT3RS was ONE TENTH of second faster than the GSZ07 around VIR Grand Course. Both cars were on Cup 2's, the Porsche has 40 more horsepower and weighs less. So, in this measurement, I question the "superior handling" claim.

1. I question C&D lighting laps (and lots of their stuff, in general) to begin with.

2. That was the GS, not a Z06, so I'd suspect much more stable and well behaved than the 650/650 variant. It's a different car when you change the 465 numbers to 700... On the same chassis and suspension.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:05 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by L8ter
Porsche says the tires used were Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s that come with the car.
Pretty sure it was the SC2 ZPs. Same as the AMG GTR. They know GM and Michellin hit it out of the ballpark with that tire.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:42 PM
JetEngineJoel
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

With the amount of times GM has tuned the ZR1, taken it to the Ring, re-tuned the car, taken it back to the Ring, etc, .... my bet is they are struggling to break the 7 min mark.

Ultimately, I think they will get there but suspect expect something close to 6:59.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:18 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by JetEngineJoel
With the amount of times GM has tuned the ZR1, taken it to the Ring, re-tuned the car, taken it back to the Ring, etc, .... my bet is they are struggling to break the 7 min mark.

Ultimately, I think they will get there but suspect expect something close to 6:59.
Or you know, maybe they're doing just that.... fine tuning the car.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:57 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by JetEngineJoel

I don't know whether or not they are struggling to hit some "mark."
But I agree it appears they are spending quite a bit of time/effort running off and on at the Ring.

Last edited by sunsalem; 09-28-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

I agree with those saying the car isn't likely to best the GT2RS. Purely speculation of course, but upper 6:50's seems more realistic...no small feat. And, I think to certain degree, it highlights the fact that getting more speed/better times out of this configuration is reaching a point of diminishing returns. Thus the reason for the move to an ME platform. Adding more power to a car that already struggles to put it to the ground is nearly as silly as making a 707 hp Cherokee.

Some of the old guys here just can't seem to reconcile the fact that even boosting to 1,000 HP can't overcome the challenges of the current array enough to compete at the elite level Corvette wants to be. In it's current state it can run over Challengers, Mustangs, Miata's and Carrera's at the track, but it can't hang with the top of the line ME exotics. Hell, make as many excuses as you want, but the GS nearly coming in last in MT's GDR7 is an utter disgrace.

Having said this, as a current owner of C7Z or former owner of a C6 ZR1...I still may buy the C7 ZR1...but only if the ME vette won't debut for a while. It's not really the car I want though. The one I want is a 700 hp ME that weighs less than 3,200 lbs. and can be serviced locally, without the hassle and risk of loading it onto an enclosed truck twice a year!!
Old 09-28-2017, 08:15 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire

Some of the old guys here just can't seem to reconcile the fact that even boosting to 1,000 HP can't overcome the challenges of the current array enough to compete at the elite level Corvette wants to be. In it's current state it can run over Challengers, Mustangs, Miata's and Carrera's at the track, but it can't hang with the top of the line ME exotics. Hell, make as many excuses as you want, but the GS nearly coming in last in MT's GDR7 is an utter disgrace.
You're not giving the GS near enough credit, nor is it meant to compete with Challengers, Mustangs, and Miatas.

The C7 GS is an extremely capable car, leaps above what a Corvette used to be and in fact DOES compete (and in some cases beat) the RMR engine cars considered exotics. It is an extrordinary achievement.

That being said, although it seriously narrowed a huge gap to the likes of the 911 variants with C7 version, it still isn't there. And nor does it NEED to be there for the super low price it comes in at. The fact that it is so close for WAY less money is more than any of us could ever ask for.

The fact that we are even debating any Corvette variant possibly competing with the best Porsche has to offer is a testament to what the C7 team has achieved... But let's not fool ourselves or get too greedy... We should not expect the ZR1 to beat the best Porsche has to offer, nor should we be upset if/when it doesn't.
The following 2 users liked this post by \Boost Monkey/:
fugly1 (09-29-2017), John Micheal Henry (09-29-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Can 2018 ZR1 top Porsche's new ring record of 6:47 in their GT2 RS?

Old 09-28-2017, 11:06 PM
Dethsupp0rt
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 107 Posts

Pretty much zero chance. The GT2 RS was just so stable, yet absolutely exploded out of the corners. That record is going to stand for awhile.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:17 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You're not giving the GS near enough credit, nor is it meant to compete with Challengers, Mustangs, and Miatas.

The C7 GS is an extremely capable car, leaps above what a Corvette used to be and in fact DOES compete (and in some cases beat) the RMR engine cars considered exotics. It is an extrordinary achievement.

That being said, although it seriously narrowed a huge gap to the likes of the 911 variants with C7 version, it still isn't there. And nor does it NEED to be there for the super low price it comes in at. The fact that it is so close for WAY less money is more than any of us could ever ask for.

The fact that we are even debating any Corvette variant possibly competing with the best Porsche has to offer is a testament to what the C7 team has achieved... But let's not fool ourselves or get too greedy... We should not expect the ZR1 to beat the best Porsche has to offer, nor should we be upset if/when it doesn't.
I for one don't compare like model to like model, I compare price to price of similar cars. Of course a 300k car is going to do better than one a third of it's price. It's asinine to compare top of the line to another top of the line when there's a price difference of double, absolutely NO ONE is cross shopping a ZR1 and GT3 RS, not a chance. In fact unless you've owned high end Porsche's before, good luck buying a new GT3 RS.

I believe that a Corvette with a base price of what, 58k should compete with a Cayman, not a 911. If I have 60k in my pocket I'm not looking at brand new 911's so why even compare the two? I never understood why people compare models based on "well they're kinda the same", makes no sense.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:23 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
I for one don't compare like model to like model, I compare price to price of similar cars. Of course a 300k car is going to do better than one a third of it's price. It's asinine to compare top of the line to another top of the line when there's a price difference of double, absolutely NO ONE is cross shopping a ZR1 and GT3 RS, not a chance. In fact unless you've owned high end Porsche's before, good luck buying a new GT3 RS.

I believe that a Corvette with a base price of what, 58k should compete with a Cayman, not a 911. If I have 60k in my pocket I'm not looking at brand new 911's so why even compare the two? I never understood why people compare models based on "well they're kinda the same", makes no sense.
yeah this GT2 RS is basically sold out at about 1000 units, and you had to own a Porsche to get one.

Quick Reply: Can 2018 ZR1 top Porsche's new ring record of 6:47 in their GT2 RS?