C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 reveal when and where ;)

Old 11-06-2017, 08:45 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
My opinion on what I think Chevy will do is based on their best interests, and how things always go in the car industry.

First, we'll see the reveal of the ZR1 in Dubai. It will be front engine, with the power bump over the Z06. It will not be a Z06.

Next, we will see an entry level ME introduced a whole 12-18 months later.

Then, we will see a juiced up version released 1-2 years after that.

why? Because this is in their best financial interests. Release just what the market is will bear, when the market will bear it. do NOT play all your cards at the same time because if you do, then you have nothing new to carry you through the next 10 years. If Chevy releases the ME right now, what will they introduce next year? Or the year after? The safest and most lucrative way is to drag things out. It makes sense when you think about it.

This is how it always happens. The C7 is no different. First we got the C7 at the end of 2013 early 2014. Then in 2015 we got the Z06. Then in 2017 we got the grand sport. Then for model year 2019 we will get the ZR1. These are planned release cycles well in advance to keep the public interested and to keep them spending money to stay current with whats out. This gives the C7 at least a 5-6 year model run before introducing the mid engine. which I believe we will see revealed in mid 2019, for a 2020 model year production run..

Ant

also corresponds with when the plant tours will resume. seems they want to unveil it at the detroit show in jan 2019, and tours would make it too difficult to hide. unfortunately i think you are right

"PLANT TOURS

PLEASE NOTE: PLANT TOURS ARE UNAVAILABLE AND RESUME IN 2019.

Tours of the Bowling Green Assembly Plant will be closed after June 16, 2017. It will be approximately 18 months (January 2019) before tours resume after June 16th. Please subscribe NCM eNews for future updates thank you."
The following users liked this post:
jagamajajaran (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:01 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 540 Posts

GM spent a fortune on Bowling Green and they need to see a return on that investment ASAP. I think production of the ME will begin soon after the debut in Detroit in January of 2019, about 15 months from now, with deliveries beginning in late March 2019 as 2020 model. The 2019 C7 will continue production for a few months after that. What GM has planned for that car beyond that is anybody's guess. It could go away, be redesigned as a new FE Corvette, or there could even be a new Cadillac flagship luxury coupe in either FE or ME configuration. No doubt they will make use of the factory's newly expanded capacity to produce more than one car.

Between now and January of 2019, I think we'll see some very well orchestrated "leaks" of the upcoming ME to build anticipation. No way they'll blow their entire load in the next three months.

I do think interest in the ZR1 is minimal so we may still be surprised by something in Detroit in January 2018.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:02 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
My opinion on what I think Chevy will do is based on their best interests, and how things always go in the car industry.

First, we'll see the reveal of the ZR1 in Dubai. It will be front engine, with the power bump over the Z06. It will not be a Z06.

Next, we will see an entry level ME introduced a whole 12-18 months later.

Then, we will see a juiced up version released 1-2 years after that.

why? Because this is in their best financial interests. Release just what the market is will bear, when the market will bear it. do NOT play all your cards at the same time because if you do, then you have nothing new to carry you through the next 10 years. If Chevy releases the ME right now, what will they introduce next year? Or the year after? The safest and most lucrative way is to drag things out. It makes sense when you think about it.

This is how it always happens. The C7 is no different. First we got the C7 at the end of 2013 early 2014. Then in 2015 we got the Z06. Then in 2017 we got the grand sport. Then for model year 2019 we will get the ZR1. These are planned release cycles well in advance to keep the public interested and to keep them spending money to stay current with whats out. This gives the C7 at least a 5-6 year model run before introducing the mid engine. which I believe we will see revealed in mid 2019, for a 2020 model year production run..

Ant
Normally I would agree. Except times are changing. We’ve got 1 more generation left on Corvette before we go hybrid or electric and that’s happening faster than you think. If GM wants to sell a lot of ME Corvettes, they’re going to need the Corvette loyalists on their side. And they’re going to do that by bringing out the best right out of the gate, and the loyalists will follow.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nate@VanBortelChevy:
63Corvette (11-06-2017), sunsalem (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:44 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
Normally I would agree. Except times are changing. We’ve got 1 more generation left on Corvette before we go hybrid or electric and that’s happening faster than you think. If GM wants to sell a lot of ME Corvettes, they’re going to need the Corvette loyalists on their side. And they’re going to do that by bringing out the best right out of the gate, and the loyalists will follow.

Makes sense.
And the Corvette loyalists would love having the best/highest performing ME model at intro/early in the cycle...another critical word is "right"...
Old 11-07-2017, 08:00 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

I am not sure I agree. If GM really tailors to the loyalists/enthusiasts, pop-up headlights and round tail lights would still be around. Based on the rear tire size in the spy photos, I think the first version of the ME will be a base model.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:03 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Pop up headlights would not be here. They were legislated out iirc.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:14 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by OnPoint
^^^ I'd wager 100 bucks to St. Jude that both of those are wrong (with your original #2 stating ZR and ME will debut around the same time).

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Or the ME is another prototype that will be shelved like all the others for us to look back at 25 years from now
It's coming
Old 11-07-2017, 08:19 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Default Bowling Green

Rooling through Bowling Green what did I see half naked surrounded by some C7ish test mules
We are very close to the BIG reveal

Who is excited besides me
The following 4 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
elegant (11-07-2017), jagamajajaran (11-07-2017), keagan (11-07-2017), Nate@VanBortelChevy (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:20 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Default Bowling Green

Who is excited besides me? We are very close to the BIG reveal
Rolling through Bowling Green what did I see half naked surrounded by some C7ish test mules
elegant (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Spike5
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=DebRedZR1;1595918222]Who is excited besides me? We are very close to the BIG reveal
Rolling through Bowling Green what did I see half naked surrounded by some C7ish test mules Picture?
Old 11-07-2017, 09:52 AM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by zhopper05
I am not sure I agree. If GM really tailors to the loyalists/enthusiasts, pop-up headlights and round tail lights would still be around. Based on the rear tire size in the spy photos, I think the first version of the ME will be a base model.
I believe there was a safety/federal regulation against pop-up headlights. To me, and many other Corvette Loyalists, the Corvette is not defined by its headlights and taillights. There are so many things that make a Corvette a Corvette. It needs to have a timeless design, unmatched performance value, and evolve from its roots to meet present and future trends.

The real problem is that the core loyalist group, are getting old. The guys that grew up idolizing Corvettes in the 50's and started to drive in the 60's. They're ready to buy the best and most controversial Corvette ever, the ME. End their Corvette tenure on top. They've got 1 more Corvette purchase in them before they throw their hats in. Going ME is going to open up a new following, which I believe is necessary for Corvette to survive another 65 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nate@VanBortelChevy:
MikeyTX (11-08-2017), sunsalem (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 11:29 AM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Rolling through Bowling Green what did I see half naked surrounded by some C7ish test mules
Jennifer Lopez?
Old 11-07-2017, 11:34 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Deb, do you work at BG? I literally know nothing about the people that I believe are insiders, so I’m just curious if you can give that kind of information.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:39 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV

I do think interest in the ZR1 is minimal so we may still be surprised by something in Detroit in January 2018.
In its track guise, I agree.
But I think there may an opportunity when ordering to strip some of the track components off and get something more streetable.
If GM is smart, they would allow for this.

Originally Posted by zhopper05
Based on the rear tire size in the spy photos, I think the first version of the ME will be a base model.
Nice observation.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:53 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thanks to CorvetteBlogger, we have learned that the ZR1’s reveal is this Sunday. This was learned thanks to a UAE Corvette owner receiving this invite from GM, and sharing that invitation with Keith Cornett.

And as Keith noted below, we hope that the event will be internet linked for all us to also watch. As of now, however, we do not know whether that link will exist. If it live posted, we know that it will be posted by someone later in this thread.

Originally Posted by CorvetteBlogger
2019 Corvette ZR1 Reveal Planned for Dubai Motor Show with US Debut in L.A.
(By Keith Cornett)

I sorta halfway alluded to the timing of the Corvette ZR1 reveal in yesterday’s Corvette Sales report but I am just going to come out and say what I think is going to happen in the next two weeks. And since we are seeing mutliple mentions of Dubai on the forums, now is as good a time as any for making predictions on the ZR1’s reveal.

2019 Corvette ZR1 Reveal Planned for Dubai Motor Show with US Debut in L.A.

I sorta halfway alluded to the timing of the Corvette ZR1 reveal in yesterday’s Corvette Sales report but I am just going to come out and say what I think is going to happen in the next two weeks. And since we are seeing mutliple mentions of Dubai on the forums, now is as good a time as any for making predictions on the ZR1’s reveal.

For the longest time, at least since Corvettes at Carlise, I’ve been convinced that the 2019 Corvette ZR1s would be revealed at the Los Angeles Auto Show at the end of November. With the Corvette ZR1 looking and sounding like the track-attack C7 model, Los Angeles would be the perfect venue for the car, and Chevrolet has previously paid its respects to the West Coast’s culture of speed. I also believed the LA Auto Show reveal would also start the clock for production starting 2-3 months after the announcement. Tie in the plant closure and then subsequent reopening in November, the timing would mean ZR1s starting sometime in the Spring of 2018.

But then Chevrolet threw in the new wrinkle. The 2018 Corvette model year production will end early and the 2019 Corvettes will start production at the end of January. To kick off 2019 model year ordering, Chevrolet will be releasing its official 2019 Order Guide on November 20th.

With that Order Guide date now set, it does look like the November 14th opening of the Dubai Motor Show will be where Chevrolet officially unwraps its new supercar.

I know, Dubai…

I reached out to members of the Corvette team last week regarding the reveal in Dubai but my emails went unanswered.

I reached out to members of the Corvette team last week regarding the reveal in Dubai but my emails went unanswered.

Dubai actually makes a lot of sense for a car like the ZR1. Forget the talk that it should only be revealed in America. In today’s highly-connected society, automotive reveals in foreign shows still attract plenty of press back home as did the surprise 2016 Grand Sport reveal in Geneva. We’ll see the same photos and read the same press releases as if they were revealed in LA. Plus, Chevrolet will benefit from a high profile unveiling in the Middle East while still showing the ZR1s in LA just two weeks later where they will be fawned over by the domestic automotive press who now know it’s going to be there.

As far as Dubai goes, middle eastern customers love high horsepower sportscars and there’s a large contingent of Corvette owners in the area. Ask Ken Lingenfelter or Pete Callaway about their middle east customers and they’ll tell you they want the highest horsepower available. Like the 750-800 hp that the ZR1 is estimated to have under its unique hood.

One last rumor regarding the Corvette ZR1’s reveal is now that there is talk about some sort of “tease” prior to the official live reveal. Look for a couple of the long-lead auto magazines to start breaking official photos before the reveal in Dubai.

As for the mid engine C8 Corvette, I don’t think we’ll be seeing that car revealed for at least another year. Our supposition is that the C8 Corvette is too important of a car to the people at Chevrolet to be revealed anyplace but in Detroit and so the 2019 NAIAS will see the reveal of the mid-engine 2020 Corvette ZORA.

UPDATE:

A Corvette owner I know from the Middle East sent me the above picture tonight. Looks like Chevrolet is planning a special event around the Corvette on Sunday, November 12th. With the time change, we are looking at a start time of 10 am ET. The only question is will Chevrolet stream the event for all us to watch? Let’s hope!!!
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2017/...s-debut-in-la/
Attached Images  

Last edited by elegant; 11-07-2017 at 06:59 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by elegant:
jagamajajaran (11-07-2017), MikeyTX (11-08-2017), Nate@VanBortelChevy (11-07-2017), Steve Garrett (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:40 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Old 11-07-2017, 10:16 PM
elegant
Safety Car

I am really excited about the ZR1 (even though budget has me instead already saving for the ME). However, those of you who are getting one, you are going to be so rewarded. It will be the zenith of 65 years of front-engined Corvettes.

While we do not yet know how many GM will allow to be produced (fuel economy and supplier parts cabilities), as it is only going to be a 2019 model, owning one will be a treasure. I am envious, year also so pleased for those who will have one. I hope, and I believe that it will “knock it out of the park,” like a 13th inning, come from behind, grand slam to win the 7th game of the World Series.

Last edited by elegant; 11-07-2017 at 10:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by elegant:
DebRedZR1 (11-08-2017), jagamajajaran (11-07-2017), Nate@VanBortelChevy (11-07-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 reveal when and where ;)

Old 11-07-2017, 10:42 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by elegant
I am really excited about the ZR1 (even though budget has me instead already saving for the ME). However, those of you who are getting one, you are going to be so rewarded. It will be the zenith of 65 years of front-engined Corvettes.

While we do not yet know how many GM will allow to be produced (fuel economy and supplier parts cabilities), as it is only going to be a 2019 model, owning one will be a treasure. I am envious, year also so pleased for those who will have one. I hope, and I believe that it will “knock it out of the park,” like a 13th inning, come from behind, grand slam to win the 7th game of the World Series.

How do you know that?
Old 11-07-2017, 11:22 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

I’m thinking the ZR1 will be a hell of a lot limited compare to the previous generation. Me thinks Chevy went bananas with this one.
larryfdx (11-08-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 11:36 PM
elegant
Safety Car

The end of all C7’s will be the 2019 MY. I will not tell you the source as I was told that in confidence, and the highest priority to me is protecting those who have shared. Similarly, I have known that the ZR1 was going to be revealed in Dubai for months, but will not reveal (and have not revealed) that different source. All I can suggest is, should you wish, to look at my other posts, and decide whether I have been credible or not. Going backwards several years, I knew nine months before the C7’s 1.13.13 reveal, that there was going to be a Z06 version and unlike the C6 Z06, was going to have a removable roof; however, at the request of the person who shared that information, I never posted anything about that, and to this day never revealed that source (a now retired GM employee).

Of course, one can alternatively wait and see what GM later officially says. However, since GM refuses to acknowledge even today that there will even be a ZR1, let alone that there will ever be a mid-engine, that GM-verification wait is going to be forever long — probably not until January 13, 2019 when the ME is formally announced at NAIAS as a 2020 MY Corvette.

I share the information that the C7’s last year is going to be 2019’s, so that all planning to get a C7 for 2020+, now know to reconsider their plan.

If you disagree, which is fine, ask yourself whether when the C7 first came out in 2014, did GM continue or discontinue the 200 pound lighter, more powerful C6 Z06. Same pattern is going to happen for 2020 MY.

Last edited by elegant; 11-07-2017 at 11:37 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by elegant:
DebRedZR1 (11-08-2017), Jmcdude (11-08-2017), live2drive (11-09-2017), Nate@VanBortelChevy (11-07-2017), RobWilson (11-08-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZR1 reveal when and where ;)