Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1: LT5 cover leaked!

Old 10-27-2017, 07:39 PM
383vett
CF Senior Member

Received 740 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by skank View Post
Hope they have a beautiful machined alloy top (ala C6 ZR1) showing a designed ribbing (ala Bugatti Chiron).
Doubt it. The engine cover for a Chiron cost more than the ZR1 will.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:51 PM
davepl
CF Senior Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 955 Posts

People keep mentioning Mercury Marine, but there's little chance GM is partnering with them again. Back in the (old) LT-5 days GM did not have extensive experience with aluminum engines, or that's what I understood. So they partnered with MM, who did.

GM certainly needs no help with aluminum engines these days!

Also, a DOHC motor is no grand leap. It might be for the Corvette, but GM has had "high feature" DOHC V6s for a long time. Just add 2 cylinders, no need to call in outside help.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:46 PM
MikeyTX
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 621 Likes on 495 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Quinten33 View Post
It's a Gallo 24.
Ernest or Julio ..........
Old 10-28-2017, 01:25 AM
sunsalem
CF Senior Member

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 View Post
People keep mentioning Mercury Marine, but there's little chance GM is partnering with them again. Back in the (old) LT-5 days GM did not have extensive experience with aluminum engines, or that's what I understood. So they partnered with MM, who did.

GM certainly needs no help with aluminum engines these days!

Also, a DOHC motor is no grand leap. It might be for the Corvette, but GM has had "high feature" DOHC V6s for a long time. Just add 2 cylinders, no need to call in outside help.
Like you, I doubt GM needs help building engines.
AFAIK, Ford didn't need outside help for their GT350 engine.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:25 PM
village idiot
CF Senior Member

Received 662 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg View Post
If the LT5 is truly an OHC setup, it would have 4 valves per cylinder. The 4 valves take up a lot of realstate in the combustion chamber leaving the center of the head the ideal spot for it to be positioned, hence the need for it to go through the valve cover.
Yes, but many cars that are DOHC have the plugs in the side (at least that's what I recall from a few cars).
Old 10-30-2017, 01:42 PM
OnPoint
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,149 Posts

DOHC heads place the sparkplug in the middle of the chamber and between the valve banks.

Here's a pic of the underside of a DOHC head, you can clearly see the hole for the spark plug in the middle of the valve banks:

Here's a pic of a DOHC head from above - also easy to see the spark plug arrangement between the valve banks running down the middle of the head.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:17 PM
village idiot
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by OnPoint View Post
DOHC heads place the sparkplug in the middle of the chamber and between the valve banks.

Here's a pic of the underside of a DOHC head, you can clearly see the hole for the spark plug in the middle of the valve banks:

Here's a pic of a DOHC head from above - also easy to see the spark plug arrangement between the valve banks running down the middle of the head.

I know that's traditional, but I could have sworn my old beater had the plugs on the side. Maybe it wasn't 4 valves/cylinder.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:32 PM
davepl
CF Senior Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot View Post
Yes, but many cars that are DOHC have the plugs in the side (at least that's what I recall from a few cars).
I can't -think- of ever seeing an engine in that configuration. If you think about it, a 2-valve engine has room in the chamber on the side, but a 4-valve ONLY has room dead center, really.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:36 PM
village idiot
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 View Post
I can't -think- of ever seeing an engine in that configuration. If you think about it, a 2-valve engine has room in the chamber on the side, but a 4-valve ONLY has room dead center, really.
No it makes sense. And I know center is where it is traditionally (I've done many plugs on my bikes), but I could have sworn my old Subaru beater had them on the sides. Hence why I said "have to be"
Old 10-30-2017, 02:39 PM
\Boost Monkey/
CF Senior Member

Received 475 Likes on 273 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen a DOHC with plugs in the side, not sure one even exists.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:44 PM
mschuyler
CF Senior Member

Received 2,665 Likes on 1,186 Posts

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, there is some speculation that this valve cover has been photoshopped. This is what Furman had to say on Sunday.

~ZR1...Mid Engine...Spy pics, I don't mind questions about possibilities. What gives me extra work and that spins my wheels are photoshopped pics and stating that it's real and coming to a dealer near you. How do you tell the difference? Well when it's Font used from the 4th Generation and its stated that it is for the 7th Gen ZR1...well then yes it's not real and someone was either duped into thinking it's real or is trying to dupe all of us...either way it causes more questions then they are worth.

Is he talking about this cover?
Old 10-30-2017, 02:44 PM
\Boost Monkey/
CF Senior Member

Received 475 Likes on 273 Posts

No it makes sense. And I know center is where it is traditionally (I've done many plugs on my bikes), but I could have sworn my old Subaru beater had them on the sides. Hence why I said "have to be"

Most Subi's have DOHC Boxer engines which are flat 4's or 6's. The plugs are technically on the sides, but that's because the piston chambers are flat and hence the plugs still go through the valves for each chamber.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:23 PM
village idiot
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/ View Post
Most Subi's have DOHC Boxer engines which are flat 4's or 6's. The plugs are technically on the sides, but that's because the piston chambers are flat and hence the plugs still go through the valves for each chamber.
That might explain it too, but I honestly don't remember. Other than my college beater and bikes, I don't think I've owned or worked on a 4v/cyl vehicle. I just remember the plugs being a huge pain in the dick and on the sides of the engine.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:53 PM
sunsalem
CF Senior Member

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler View Post
If I'm reading between the lines correctly, there is some speculation that this valve cover has been photoshopped. This is what Furman had to say on Sunday.

Is he talking about this cover?
[/SIZE][/FONT]
I hope not...otherwise, this thread is all for naught.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:11 PM
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member

Received 553 Likes on 422 Posts

guys don't discount mercury marine as an eng builder,they can run small runs,,GM isn't set-up to run 500-1,000 engines,,and the DOHC heads merc is building are designed to fit ''stock 6.2 LS engines'',i also was told they were cast by edelbrock ,also because of the small run ,and whos to say its NA or supercharged or even turbo'd

merc's big block 9 liter eng makes from 900-1450hp on pump gas,NA and turbo'd,,and there 7 liter dohc makes 750hp NA,id bet there is a supercharged version making 900+hp,and a twin-turbo package too

the 7 liter eng fits where a reg LS eng fits,[ I cant say how I know -but ive seen one in a vehicle,and 2 pairs in boats],,and if anybodys going to SEMA this week,look around as there will be 2 or more of these engines there
Old 10-30-2017, 05:25 PM
2K14C7
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 394 Likes on 245 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

“We just revealed our latest automotive aftermarket crate engine, the SB4 7.0. The 32-Valve DOHC V-8 was designed, developed and manufactured in-house.

The 32-valve cylinder head and DOHC valve train design is a decendant from our 9.0 QC4 engine platform.
The naturally aspirated, 7.0 Liter engine features Mercury Racing’s exclusive aluminum four valve cylinder heads and dual overhead camshaft valve train integrated with a LS cylinder block packed with Mercury Racing designed and specified hardware.

This proven valve train, which greatly enhances engine durability over a standard two-valve design, enables the engine to produce a staggering 775 horsepower at 7500 RPM on 91 octane pump fuel!”
Attached Images  

Last edited by 2K14C7; 10-30-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:51 PM
GTB/ZR-1
CF Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

^^^

Hmmmmm. Maybe they hot-rodded up those old C4 LT-5 ZR-1 engines they had laying around, gathering dust in the back warehouse... lol
Old 10-30-2017, 08:45 PM
MikeyTX
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 621 Likes on 495 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 2K14C7 View Post
“We just revealed our latest automotive aftermarket crate engine, the SB4 7.0. The 32-Valve DOHC V-8 was designed, developed and manufactured in-house.

The 32-valve cylinder head and DOHC valve train design is a decendant from our 9.0 QC4 engine platform.
The naturally aspirated, 7.0 Liter engine features Mercury Racing’s exclusive aluminum four valve cylinder heads and dual overhead camshaft valve train integrated with a LS cylinder block packed with Mercury Racing designed and specified hardware.

This proven valve train, which greatly enhances engine durability over a standard two-valve design, enables the engine to produce a staggering 775 horsepower at 7500 RPM on 91 octane pump fuel!”
Now that, would get me off the dime. Gee, would that be a gas at cars and coffee.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:01 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 621 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
All I can say gang, without any more detail, THAT IS FROM THE CAR...where it is, etc etc etc I cannot answer to protect the sender.

I was told its a supercharger car,(which most of have thought) but we will all wait for the official GM announcement , specs and so forth!
It's a supercharger, should be good for 700+ Horsepower.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZR1: LT5 cover leaked!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: