C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Dubai International Auto Show ZR1 Reveal

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:21 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
I came into this thread looking to see if there was any info on a live stream for the Dubai event tomorrow, but then read thish. Hold the phone a moment. Before we go throwing body styles into the same bucket as drivetrain components, let's read what the head honcho of Corvette has already said about the topic:

Ask Tadge about Manuals

Different drivetrains need to be emissions and FE tested and certified. That stuff costs a butt-ton of money. Remember that while GM makes its own auto, it purchases the manual from TREMEC. If fewer and fewer people are buying manuals, it means GM will purchase fewer and fewer of them from TREMEC (who's also no longer selling them to Dodge for the Viper). At some point, it becomes an unfavorable business proposition from TREMEC to continue making and selling the transmissions, which leaves GM to either:
  • Find another manufacturer
  • Make their own
  • Kill the manual car

Guess which one the business guys will say to do, should the take rate continue dropping? Here's a hint: it's the last one. I promise.
This here is sound logic.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:23 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
I came into this thread looking to see if there was any info on a live stream for the Dubai event tomorrow, but then read this:

Uh. Hold the phone a moment. Before we go throwing body styles into the same bucket as drivetrain components, let's read what the head honcho of Corvette has already said about the topic:

Ask Tadge about Manuals

Different drivetrains need to be emissions and FE tested and certified. That stuff costs a butt-ton of money. Remember that while GM makes its own auto, it purchases the manual from TREMEC. If fewer and fewer people are buying manuals, it means GM will purchase fewer and fewer of them from TREMEC (who's also no longer selling them to Dodge for the Viper). At some point, it becomes an unfavorable business proposition from TREMEC to continue making and selling the transmissions, which leaves GM to either:
  • Make their own
  • Kill the manual car

Guess which one the business guys will say to do, should the take rate continue dropping? Here's a hint: it's the last one. I promise.
IM sure you have good insight as stated...still I believe the dealer network isn't s skewing the take rate with inventory corvettes ordered..

Dealers tend to order inventory corvettes as automatics because it's easier for them to sell inventory vehicles that way..

Doesn't mean there isn't a demand from consumers...it just means Chevy dealers buy inventory to turn the fastest their salesman can sell them..

I wouldn't be opposed to a dual clutch computer controlled corvette rear I
Mid engine car...

I would like to own one of them if it was offered...and it would of course simplify production and government testing etc...

Although Porsche found as well as Ferrari owners have found...the manual transmission models are a valued commodity...

The 10 10ths driving performance of the A8 is amazing...while dct s tend to offer the same or similiar driving involvement that a manual offers to an owner driving on the street..

Maybe theA10 is different...I don't know..I haven't driven it yet.

Just shooting the breeze.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:23 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by elegant
Then there is no reason for all other forum members to post any facts that might be different than anything within your posts.

I am a mere mortal and I admit it, I make mistakes. I have made them in the past, and I am sure I will again in the future. (And I sure I made a least one today too.)

I just “tapped out,” e.g., unsubscribing from this particular thread. I am going to spend my forum and other time trying to find somewhere where, if there is one, we can find a link to a live feed for tomorrow morning’s 10:00 (EST) ZR1 reveal.
I didn’t mean that as bragging or that I don’t make mistakes.

I’m just saying that as a matter of example I say what I say about what I know and I have the history to back it up.

Sorry if it was understood otherwise.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:26 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,516 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by jvp
I came into this thread looking to see if there was any info on a live stream for the Dubai event tomorrow, but then read this:

Uh. Hold the phone a moment. Before we go throwing body styles into the same bucket as drivetrain components, let's read what the head honcho of Corvette has already said about the topic:

Ask Tadge about Manuals

• Make their own
  • Kill the manual car

My comparison was only for the purpose of providing a contrary view to to the idea that percentage of sales is what dictates whether an option is continued or not.
The following users liked this post:
JimNeedsC7 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 09:45 PM
Silverboost
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I would bet the number of corvettes that are special ordered are a lot higher than 20% manuals. Because there are not as many manuals available at dealerships people settle and get a auto many times. I know because I was one of them when I bought my C6. Loved the car but always regretted the auto. I made sure I purchased a manual in my C7. I now have 0 regrets. If the cost is a issue charge more for a manual I personally would pay extra for it.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:21 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

So back to the Reveal in under 12 hours, any live feed info ?
Red C8 of Jax (11-12-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 10:39 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 880 Likes on 450 Posts

Damn Chevy really left us hanging. I’m assuming Instagram would be our best bet for any info.
DebRedZR1 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 10:54 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I just joined Instagram with the hope that I/we would be rewarded (as two people suggested). But just checked, and so far nothing on it, nor Chevrolet FB, nor on my “GM accredited media” link, nor anywhere else I can think of. I will keep checking, but would be 1000% as happy is someone else found and posted a live link.

Not dancing GM choose Dubai as the reveal location, but if they additionally shut out us who are 95+% of its customers in the U.S., that would be plain wrong.

Last edited by elegant; 11-11-2017 at 10:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
cdnrx1 (11-12-2017), DebRedZR1 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 10:55 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

We are all going to be stalking social media !!!!
elegant (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 11:03 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
My comparison was only for the purpose of providing a contrary view to to the idea that percentage of sales is what dictates whether an option is continued or not.
But it simply is the case here. Percentage of sales will dictate whether the manual transmission is continued. I know how much the team had to battle internally to even offer the current C7 with a manual. The bean-counters knew the take rate would be 30% (and falling) and they were right on the money. If it keeps dropping, it will go away.

Take that to the bank.
jagamajajaran (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 11:21 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,516 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

At least it is still currently planned for the ME.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:00 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Unfortunately we soon won’t have any options. I can see a day when even the pony cars don’t have manuals. It’s coming, and unfortunately faster than I’d like. The new M5 speaks volumes in this regard.

So if no one offers a manual except in a FWD car or an off-roader (like a Wrangler). What do you buy? Old cars?
Yes, if Corvette manuals go away, I'll be in the latest model Porsche 911 variant to offer one. We have multiple vehicles, but my "sports car" will always be a convertible manual. I'll hold on to my C7 M7 convertible as long as it holds together.

Like I said earlier, I've tried performance cars with DCTs (BMW M3 and Porsche PDK) and the best paddle-shifting auto on the planet (ZF8), and I tried hard to fall in love with them. I just couldn't. Like Kent said above, it's just not the same.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-12-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:45 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

My highly connected GM source has never been wrong, and he recently confirmed that a 7M is part of the ME transmissions options. However, if GM chooses to change that program in the next 14 months, there will be no automatic ME for us.

So our Plan B is to take our wonderful Z06 to Ken Lingenfelter, have him put his 800 HP/750 TQ cam package into it, and add in wider/stickier tires, and some more goodies.

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...l#.WgfaLbiIafA

Our Corvettes are never track animals but primarily use for driving scenic curvy, Corvette corners on cross-country road trips — so would do above and smile all the way.

We love our C7, here on the Beartooth Hwy in Wyoming on one of our trips.

Meanwhile, I am still stalking social media for a link for the ZR1 reveal.
Attached Images  

Last edited by elegant; 11-12-2017 at 01:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
DebRedZR1 (11-12-2017), lostsoul (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 03:04 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

Dealers tend to order inventory corvettes as automatics because it's easier for them to sell inventory vehicles that way..
Doesn't mean there isn't a demand from consumers...it just means Chevy dealers buy inventory to turn the fastest their salesman can sell them..
To be more precise --- it's easier to sell what customers WANT to buy.

Although Porsche found as well as Ferrari owners have found...the manual transmission models are a valued commodity...

The sales of newly manufactured vehicles is not the same as "vehicle collectability."
LT1 Z51 (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 04:20 AM
Dave_the_Dude
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if the ZR1 introduced some major changes to the Vette platform. What if the ZR1 WAS the first mid engine? What if this is the car they introduce DCT and/or AWD? What if it's both AWD and ME? I would bet it's going to have at least one of these things.

My first thought when the numbers came out is that this ZR1 is going to be something much different than the current Z06. The C7Z has a reputation for having too much motor for the car. Why would you throw more horsepower at the same car and only tweak the aero? NO WAY. That's a Fiat Chrysler move. Not a Chevy move.

I have a feeling that nobody is wrong on this thread and there's probably truth to all of it. Meaning, the ZR1 will be a testbed for the technology that goes into the C8, just like the C6 ZR1 was a test of the technology that went into the C7.

And you only had to be paying partial attention to know what GM has been planning. AWD, ME and DCT are all technologies that are an open "secret".

The only way to get buyers to buy in to the absurd power of the C7 ZR1 is to finally bring that fruit to market. It HAS to address those criticisms of the C7Z and do it in a way that makes the smug corporates at Porsche and Ferrari choke on their lunches. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the ZR1 IS a preview of the C8 - price tag and all. Makes perfect sense from an R&D/marketing standpoint. Get your new transfer case design, engine mounting, suspension and transmission engineering out into the real world and simultaneously test market acceptance. When you think about it, AWD and DCT would be the perfect in-between.

One thing I'm willing to bet my paycheck on: there is no way GM releases the ZR1 as a CZ7 with just a new powerplant and aero. No way.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:09 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

In the end, GM can show me stacks of sales reports, costs sheets, projections, customer preference studies and tables of how they stack up against competitive models -- all showing conclusively why they don't offer a manual Corvette, and I'll be happier with an auto.

Chances that I (or other manual purists here) will be "convinced"? Zero.

So, similarly, trying to point out logically why GM might in the future drop the stick is useless, even if your data and models turn out to be 100% accurate. The 'why' just doesn't matter.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kent1999:
Foosh (11-12-2017), joeybsyc (11-12-2017), Mordeth (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 08:43 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kent1999
In the end, GM can show me stacks of sales reports, costs sheets, projections, customer preference studies and tables of how they stack up against competitive models -- all showing conclusively why they don't offer a manual Corvette, and I'll be happier with an auto.

Chances that I (or other manual purists here) will be "convinced"? Zero.

So, similarly, trying to point out logically why GM might in the future drop the stick is useless, even if your data and models turn out to be 100% accurate. The 'why' just doesn't matter.
It's not about logic, it's about money and usability.

Corvette was vehemently opposed to EPS for the C7. There was a corporate mandate for them to get it, so they got it. It also didn't help that the major of (read high quality) steering suppliers no longer sold HPS units which would meet the quality or performance standards Corvette wanted.

While I love manuals, and would prefer to only buy them on principle. I am telling you as a person in the automotive industry. Investment in manuals is dwindling, we are near the tipping point where many suppliers will exit the business entirely. Once this happens there isn't really an option to use the part, because it doesn't exist.

BTW, the "hole" under the hood above the ABS module was were the power steering pump and reservoir were suppose to be, it's why there is a giant space under the hood.

Porsche right now is having difficulty getting ZF to invest further in the 7-speed manual they use (which is a modified PDK). This is the reason it hasn't spread to other car lines for them, it is manufacturing limited.

Get notified of new replies

To Dubai International Auto Show ZR1 Reveal

Old 11-12-2017, 09:13 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
To be more precise --- it's easier to sell what customers WANT to buy.
Sounds logical, but - and there is always a but - many buyers are impatient and don't want to order a car, or the deal is better on floor stock, or dealers only order the more popular colors....there are presently many reasons why stock drives the choice vs true desire. If the "real" take rate for manuals was, say, 35% consistently, that is a supportable business case. But from a dealer's perspective do you stock an item that has a 65% chance of selling quickly or 35%? The choice the dealer makes is obvious. Stock the auto equipped cars; they figure the buyers that want a manual will order it and the dealer likely gets a higher margin on that ordered car.

A good example is the take rate of turbo F-150s vs the V8. I believe dealers were encouraged to push the Ecoboost over the V8. Truck buyers are typically resistant to change so there is no way they would eliminate the eight, at least not until they can be assured they are not alienating customers. Go to most dealers and there are far more Ecoboost trucks than V8s in stock. Did desire drive the trend or was the trend engineered by Ford?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 AM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

I would look here for the reveal, https://www.instagram.com/chevrolet/?hl=en
Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jvp

Ask Tadge about Manuals

• Make their own
  • Kill the manual car

Funny how just about ever CF member posting comments about whether the manual will go away joined CF since 2003 (except a few such as JVP in 1999). I guess their memory of passed corvette generations isn’t complete.

There is one other choice JVP should add:

* Make the Manual an extra cost option with the Auto Standard

Just like for the 1997 C5 ($815) through 2003 C5 ($915) with the Auto standard. That could help extend its offering at least in the short term. Price adjusted.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 11-12-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Dubai International Auto Show ZR1 Reveal