C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Car & Driver Announces ZR1 - First Pic and Info!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 06:34 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

I dig it... But $120K for 100 more ponies and a wing? hmmmmmmmmmmmm
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 07:44 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

i get that ZTK package is for the track.. where maybe 1% of sold ZR's will end up and 2 or 3% doing 3 or 4 days per year.. and i have to admit, much like a dancing bear in a pink "tutu" it's a "WOW!" "COOL"looking thing.... but i wouldn't want to see it everyday. it loses it's "special-ness" and becomes ridiculous.

much of the rest of the car I "think"i like? the nose in that color is tough for me, looks like a hacked up smoothed out mess not as smooth ase the ZL1. which is cool only because the base Camaro nose is rather boring. almost to the point of just losing the entire beauty of the nose of the C7 in general. it's outrageous yes, but to me it looks like an aftermarket kit from a hi-line company, not a manufactured design.. band-aid but higher level? trying to outdo themselves since the jump from C7 to C7Z is so dramatic?

but imo it falls short of that classy elegant enhancement of that that comparison. like "snip-snip" tack these on... yep! got it!

this car is a dressed up wide-body with too much carry over from the Z06. like the article says A-pillar back they're the same? and the front fenders with no spats (something i have been dying to see) is now disappointing to me.. to bulbous looking. why not just mold the spats in so they can be one piece with the composite? i actually like the look of the spats over these fat bubble fenders.. like a viper.

for anyone saying the wing is the greatest thing since sliced bread? since there's no active aero on this car, as was speculated form the patents filed... wait for the C8 or ME or if they're the same.. then you'll see cutting edge design and stylish rear wings that you won't sip your coffee look out the window and go..ugh why did i buy this ridiculous car.. these appeal to only track rats that are doing everything to get every last tenth out of a lap (no offense, just saying)..

congrats ZR1, beat them all, who am i to judge? i'm not the targeted market for that car.. and what "first world problems" we have lol.. god bless us all!

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 11-10-2017 at 07:49 AM.
sunsalem (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 07:57 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

I hope all you underwhelmed Z owners stick to your guns so I can get mine ASAP.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:55 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by rob62
I hope all you underwhelmed Z owners stick to your guns so I can get mine ASAP.
Exactly and I feel the same way. Most of the Z owners opining on the looks wouldn't buy the ZR1 regardless of what it looked like or how it performs. So they automatically are internally biased, mostly to reinforce their purchase decision. It's human nature and we all do it. I am very happy that GM is further developing the C7 platform from a performance perspective, as well as attempting to address some of the shortfalls of the C7Z on a track. Not sure why this bothers guys that wax/cruise their cars and have plenty of choices.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:13 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
To the people who defend the giant wing by saying it's a track-focused car, so people who take the car to play some links on the weekend should not be buying it.

Get real. It's a simple fact that your definition of who should and should not buy the car means nothing. Many people buying high-end Corvettes will simply buy the highest possible car, just because it's the highest and best. Some small percentage of the ZR1s sold will be used on the track.

The net result? There will be tons of Corvettes with giant wings running around the streets, looking extra ridiculous.

Perhaps if the Corvette team wanted to put a wing on a Corvette they should have waited until they redesigned for the C8, and integrated a wing that would retract. Or at least something that did not resemble the ridiculous ACR wing.

Or, if they felt it necessary to add it to a C7, create a wing that needed to be added as an aftermarket item, so that every ZR1 tooling around town did not look like it was being driven by a poser.

For those who will chime in about the smaller standard ZR1 wing: Of course I know that's an option. It is less hideous, but still ugly. And the fact that it will appear on a convertible body means that it is functionally pointless.

I love most of the other stuff introduced with the ZR1, especially the shaker hood. The ACR-style wing and splitter, not so much.
Just because you're going to be sitting in a parking lot in front of your Corvette while sipping on a latte with other garage queens doesn't mean we all are. BUT I have great news for you! You don't have to buy the car.
Stingray23 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 09:28 AM
sales @ WXM
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by PMD C6
All of this and I'm over here wondering why they don't switch to the 10 speed auto thats in the ZL1.
Apparently, it wont fit because it's too tall. On the contrary, they said the same thing about the 8 speed, and I believe that there are at least two prototype ZR1's with the 10 speed. So we'll see.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:40 AM
Ronstar
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

Love it
can't afford it but I love it...wing and all!! Maybe in several years when they are selling used when the C8 Zo6 or Zr1 comes out I can get one.
Sebring Orange!!

Its ironic to me that a guys with a 650hp Z06 that never track the car or use anywhere near all 650 horses say the ZR-1 is for "track rats" only. Or if you want one with the big wing it is ridiculous or you are a "poser".
Or the guy with black wheels(originally put on racecars to hide the brake dust) driving to cars and coffee.
Dont get me wrong i like black wheels,cars and coffee,half mile speed events, the Z06 and I really dig this new ZR-1. I love all corvettes and think each person should configure their car how they like it.
I want mine with ALL the bells and whistles..why have a car capable of over 200 mph without the aero to hold it on the ground at that speed?

I think sometimes people feel like a newer faster model somehow diminishes their car..though they won't admit it. So they have to cut down the latest one. Happens every time a new Generation or High performance model comes out. I have 3 corvettes from 3 different generations and I love them all! The ZO6 is still a great car,hell,the stingray is a great car. What a lineup Corvette is putting out!!!

Cant wait to see the C8!!

Last edited by Ronstar; 11-10-2017 at 09:41 AM.
larryfdx (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 10:39 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette
Just because you're going to be sitting in a parking lot in front of your Corvette while sipping on a latte with other garage queens doesn't mean we all are. BUT I have great news for you! You don't have to buy the car.
Bingo! A lot off hurt Z06 owners. Some are mad because GM screwed the pooch on the cooling system on the Z06. And the ZR1 is only slightly more expensive than the Z06.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:48 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Hold up...we don't know the price of the ZR1 yet.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:49 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I never really understood why anyone would buy a Z07 if they don't plan on going to the track, or for that matter a Z07 convertible. However, if you want to buy a ZR1 and take it to the golf course I don't begrudge you that. I'd love to see GM sell a ton of these and I hope it gives you great happiness however you use it. Just please don't complain about the fact that it comes with a piece of hardware bolted to the back that is a highly functional performance part for the car's main mission - demolishing everything on a road course.
The following 4 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
G fix needy (11-10-2017), MSG C5 (11-11-2017), OnPoint (11-10-2017), skank (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 10:52 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Old 11-10-2017, 11:20 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I never really understood why anyone would buy a Z07 if they don't plan on going to the track, or for that matter a Z07 convertible.
Some of us don't live near tracks, but have nearby isolated roads that are very challenging (like here in Oregon).
However, I'm with ya on the Z07 convertible.
Just please don't complain about the fact that it comes with a piece of hardware bolted to the back that is a highly functional performance part for the car's main mission - demolishing everything on a road course.
I don't get the bitching either.
We knew when the mules first appeared the purpose of the car.
It's silly to act surprised/disappointed now.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Chevy again has hit it out of the park! This is the performance car deal of the century!
Thank you Chevrolet!
Old 11-10-2017, 11:30 AM
MacMulkin
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 4,105 Likes on 919 Posts

I never really understood why anyone would buy a Z07 if they don't plan on going to the track, or for that matter a Z07 convertible. However, if you want to buy a ZR1 and take it to the golf course I don't begrudge you that. I'd love to see GM sell a ton of these and I hope it gives you great happiness however you use it. Just please don't complain about the fact that it comes with a piece of hardware bolted to the back that is a highly functional performance part for the car's main mission - demolishing everything on a road course.
If you really stop and think about it - why do some people buy Ferraris, Lamborghinis....Jaguars with 500+ horsepower....

If I had the money, and could afford it, I'd buy a Z07 because I like the car and what it can do. Not because I have any intention of tracking it.

It's all in what you like and not necessarily what it can do.

Corvette Sales & Incentives

Last edited by MacMulkin; 11-10-2017 at 11:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MacMulkin:
dvilin (11-10-2017), Never Settle (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

The best part is the M-7 is still available. While my ZO7 is not even broken in and put away for the winter, I am happy that some here will get a chance for owning one. I will live vicariously thru you!
Old 11-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerdj
The best part is the M-7 is still available. While my ZO7 is not even broken in and put away for the winter, I am happy that some here will get a chance for owning one. I will live vicariously thru you!
And I will live vicariously through you!
Old 11-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by MacMulkin
If you really stop and think about it - why do some people buy Ferraris, Lamborghinis....Jaguars with 500+ horsepower....

If I had the money, and could afford it, I'd buy a Z07 because I like the car and what it can do. Not because I have any intention of tracking it.

It's all in what you like and not necessarily what it can do.
The better analogy is why but a 458 challenge stradale rather than a regular 458 if you're never going to the track.

Get notified of new replies

To Car & Driver Announces ZR1 - First Pic and Info!

Old 11-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Ifweonlyknew
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was expecting more in certain areas and less in others
Old 11-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

The better analogy is why but a 458 challenge stradale rather than a regular 458 if you're never going to the track.
So they can brag about having the best version of the car at their hangouts. Same will happen with the ZR1. They're mad about the over the top styling and wings but they're still gonna buy it so they can say they have the top dog. Its all about showing off. Why do you think they offer automatics and chrome wheels and convertible versions?
Old 11-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Exactly and I feel the same way. Most of the Z owners opining on the looks wouldn't buy the ZR1 regardless of what it looked like or how it performs. So they automatically are internally biased, mostly to reinforce their purchase decision. It's human nature and we all do it. I am very happy that GM is further developing the C7 platform from a performance perspective, as well as attempting to address some of the shortfalls of the C7Z on a track. Not sure why this bothers guys that wax/cruise their cars and have plenty of choices.

I say BS to this. I had the 2016 3LT Z51 in shark grey and loved it til I looked closer and drove the Z06. Always wanted one since and found a great deal on used 2016 with only 2000 miles (same as I had on the stingray) I just don't feel the same looking at this incredibly busy ZR1. Props to GM for making it and I hope it does well in all the road tests/comparisons but honestly I am not internalizing my decision to buy the z06. i just think it's too over the top for my taste but hope it does well in sales and performance

Quick Reply: Car & Driver Announces ZR1 - First Pic and Info!