C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Car and Driver ZR1 Cover....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
So let me get this straight Mr. Forum sheriff, you can comment how you dislike the nose but I cannot dislike the side vents? Did you get your feelings hurt? You're too old not to be grown up. Carry on smartly, tough guy.
Sheriff is with a capital "S".
S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snorman:
FYREANT (11-09-2017), tail_lights (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 12:26 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The ZR1 Looks outstanding to me.
The following users liked this post:
vetmts (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 12:54 AM
Hit Apex
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Shows comp seats wonder if they will even put the GT seats in them.
My point was that this car needed more track oriented seats. The comp seats that are available for the Z06 are just not enough for me.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:48 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Basil2000
don't need more power, she needs to drop weight.
Much less costly just to add more power.
Originally Posted by Checkmate1

The ZR1 is clearly aimed at the GT crowd.
Huh?
The Grand Touring crowd?
Originally Posted by Snorman
The ACR makes far more downforce with that huge wing and I don't know of a single ACR that has a hatch that has cracked.
IIRC, Dodge claimed the rear wing accounted for 1500lbs. of downforce.
Has this ever been confirmed?
I would recommend that you don't buy one.
Just like you didn't buy a C7.
Just like you didn't buy a C7 Z06.
Just like you didn't buy a Viper.
You can complain about it for the next 3 years.
S.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:11 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I wonder if now we can finally get a C7 ZR1 section on the forum.
JGII would then finally have a real home.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:20 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

I'm think orange, will look great sitting in my garage next to the Z06
Old 11-09-2017, 07:50 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Some thoughts:

From post 19, if I actually said that back in 2011, it was pure speculation. Honest and truly I had no idea this car was coming that far back; that was 6 years ago and we hadn't even seen the new C7 yet! I don't actually suspect GM was planning this car that far back, either.

Folks have to stop bitching about mass and get over it. It's here to stay. There are too many conflicting requirements (and desires) when it comes to vehicles. GM has to answer the requirements first and foremost (things like crash-worthiness, fuel economy and emissions, et al) and then try to answer the customer wants. "Waaaah! I want better cooling!" Well, OK, here's better cooling. "Waaaah! Now the car weighs too much!" Well, that's what happens when you add BETTER COOLING! Reminder for the cheap seats: all that cooling hardware is METAL, and in case you hadn't looked, that stuff can get a wee bit heavy. So can the liquids pumping through it.

The softer suspension isn't just "for the GT crowd" though that will help sell units. The C4 ZR-1 had some of the softest suspension setups in the entire C4 era. Why? Because of that behemoth of an engine under the hood, that's why. They found that if they went too stiff with the suspension, the car would skitter all over the place. Folks, you're not driving a skateboard with an engine. This is a full car, and better grip (even on track) can be had with some suspension compliance. "Nope, I want it as stiff as possible!" Well then you'll just obliterate your tires that much faster. Something has to give, and if it's not the suspension compressing during transitions, it'll be the tires fighting back against it. I promise your suspension is stronger than the rubber is. Don't mistake this for a Cadillac suspension. This isn't going to roll over like a luxo-car when you round a corner quickly. All it has is some compliance; more so than the Z06. And there's room for improvement in the Z06's "Track" setting, too; I know GM has already looked at making it possible, for instance, to use the PTM system in the suspension's Sport setting. But instead, they just offered up the "rough track" calibration instead. Why? More compliance, that's why.

Guys who are expecting to "retrofit everything" onto their Z06s are going to be in for a LARGE cash outlay. Just in body panels. That's before you even get to the cooling hardware behind and under it. New: hood, fenders, and bumper. Yes. You'll need to replace ALL of those things just to fit the cooling behind it. You'll be better of buying a new car.

Ultimately I'm pretty shocked they actually hatched this, but I'm glad they did. I haven't the financial wherewithal to even approach this car, so I'll just envy anyone that has one. I expect that even at significant discounts, this car is going to cost a lot of coin optioned up.
The following 4 users liked this post by jvp:
Hemi Dave (11-11-2017), vetmts (11-09-2017), VetterFlyer (11-11-2017), Zerski (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 07:50 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

I like the car but I have to agree. Especially with the shocks.

The question I have is the 140 pound gain over a fully loaded Z or the base Z? Basically, how much with this car weigh?

Originally Posted by rikhek
Meh. I was really expecting something special/more. Not impressed.

- Disappointed and not sure why it's only 680 ft-lbs of torque.

- Only 100 HP more AND 140 extra pounds.

- LOUSY it comes with CCBs as they suck for road course work. Wish they would offer iron rotors as a no cost option.

- Sucks they didn't put the Camaro's A10 in it.

- Mind boggling that it has magnetic instead of the trick spoon-valve shocks

- Those are some butt ugly wheels. Didn't they come on an 80's era Ferrari?

- I wonder if those fugly wheels are forged.

Sure looks like the marketing guys are the ones who "spec'd/designed" the thing for the gold chain wearing, cruise-in/car show crowd. My initial reaction is all hat, no cattle. The ZL1 1LE is a "better" track car. Maybe not faster, but better.

Too bad they half assed it.

Rick

P.S. Be interesting to see how many will be lining up to buy as you can't believe a word that Tadge says. Will have to wait on some guinea pigs to buy and run it to see if it's capable of being driven at 9/10 by a fast driver on a warm day without heat issues. I'm skeptical....
Old 11-09-2017, 07:54 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

I understand what you are saying. I think they should have differentiated this car a little more on the suspension end, especially with the shocks.

I really like it and can order one. But with the mid engine on the horizon, I wonder how many of these are going to sell knowing the all new platform will be release in a year or two...

Originally Posted by jvp
Some thoughts:

From post 19, if I actually said that back in 2011, it was pure speculation. Honest and truly I had no idea this car was coming that far back; that was 6 years ago and we hadn't even seen the new C7 yet! I don't actually suspect GM was planning this car that far back, either.

Folks have to stop bitching about mass and get over it. It's here to stay. There are too many conflicting requirements (and desires) when it comes to vehicles. GM has to answer the requirements first and foremost (things like crash-worthiness, fuel economy and emissions, et al) and then try to answer the customer wants. "Waaaah! I want better cooling!" Well, OK, here's better cooling. "Waaaah! Now the car weighs too much!" Well, that's what happens when you add BETTER COOLING! Reminder for the cheap seats: all that cooling hardware is METAL, and in case you hadn't looked, that stuff can get a wee bit heavy. So can the liquids pumping through it.

The softer suspension isn't just "for the GT crowd" though that will help sell units. The C4 ZR-1 had some of the softest suspension setups in the entire C4 era. Why? Because of that behemoth of an engine under the hood, that's why. They found that if they went too stiff with the suspension, the car would skitter all over the place. Folks, you're not driving a skateboard with an engine. This is a full car, and better grip (even on track) can be had with some suspension compliance. "Nope, I want it as stiff as possible!" Well then you'll just obliterate your tires that much faster. Something has to give, and if it's not the suspension compressing during transitions, it'll be the tires fighting back against it. I promise your suspension is stronger than the rubber is. Don't mistake this for a Cadillac suspension. This isn't going to roll over like a luxo-car when you round a corner quickly. All it has is some compliance; more so than the Z06. And there's room for improvement in the Z06's "Track" setting, too; I know GM has already looked at making it possible, for instance, to use the PTM system in the suspension's Sport setting. But instead, they just offered up the "rough track" calibration instead. Why? More compliance, that's why.

Guys who are expecting to "retrofit everything" onto their Z06s are going to be in for a LARGE cash outlay. Just in body panels. That's before you even get to the cooling hardware behind and under it. New: hood, fenders, and bumper. Yes. You'll need to replace ALL of those things just to fit the cooling behind it. You'll be better of buying a new car.

Ultimately I'm pretty shocked they actually hatched this, but I'm glad they did. I haven't the financial wherewithal to even approach this car, so I'll just envy anyone that has one. I expect that even at significant discounts, this car is going to cost a lot of coin optioned up.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:55 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by JG853
I think they should have differentiated this car a little more on the suspension end, especially with the shocks.
Like what?
Old 11-09-2017, 07:59 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Sean -

What do you think about the full aero of the new C7 ZR1 vs that of your ACR Extreme?

I know we can not determine anything until we see one and the test it, but I still like your ACR Extreme!

Joel

Sheriff is with a capital "S".
S.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:00 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

The nose on that color, the more I look at it compared to my own car with stage III installed, is not attractive at all.

I always thought I hated the fender spats on my car until I now see what the bulbous fenders now look like... that settles it, I can never be satisfied lol...

is it strange to say they didn't go far enough for this one but they did? Where's the super special roof and additions the C6 ZR1 had that the C6Z didn't? I like the hood, but agree the dome and front ridge should be wider. The side fenders? Maybe in person and in another color they'll be better looking to me?

confused by this car. At this point wothout buying it to race it I don't see why I would besides having the bragging rights.

for me, the LT1 would have had to make another 100hp/tq to be left alone and deliver enough power over my mild modified C6 to satisfy me. Tht and the wide body are what got me looking at the C7Z (plus at the time the 20% what a deal).

the ZR is the king no doubt, just don't know if I'd vote for this king lol....

When i look at the nose of this car i see a sculpted and stylish design. Timeless. I feel like the ripped open cheecked corners of the ZR was rushed into operation. It just looks like this car's nose with huge holes cut into the corners. And the middle opening of the ZR is too small. I like what the one member did by blacking the bottom out but then i see a new camry! Idk.
tail_lights (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:12 AM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I do not believe the ZR1 will weigh 140 lbs more than the ZO6. That’s 16.7 MORE gallons of water. Give the 2650 +15lbs for a single Hx. Add 30lbs for additional Hx in the nose. Add 15lbs fluids, etc. I’m betting +60lbs. Time will tell.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:25 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I'm waiting for the first report of a tuned Honda Civic owner asking a C7Z owner "If it's a ZR1?" and then smirking when they find out it's "only" a Z06.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:45 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Sean -

What do you think about the full aero of the new C7 ZR1 vs that of your ACR Extreme?

I know we can not determine anything until we see one and the test it, but I still like your ACR Extreme!

Joel
It's got a big function, so it is what it is. I think the ACR-E wing and splitter are bigger, and more "race car" like with things like splitter struts. I'm also on the fence about the mounting of the optional rear wing on the ZR1. Apparently, it mounts directly through and to the chassis/tub of the car. That's going to make use of the rear hatch area very inconvenient. Tadge commented that mounting it on the hatch is for "poseurs" and that when you make "epic" amounts of downforce it will "crack the hatch". I only know of one car with a big wing mounted on the hatch, and I sure as heck don't think the downforce that ACR's make is anything less than epic and I don't know of a single ACR with a cracked hatch, lol.

Overall the car is pretty cool. I think one with an auto and Girodisc iron rotor conversion will be a track day terror.
S.

Last edited by Snorman; 11-09-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:47 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

I think in the shocks - Shock technology has come a long way.

Originally Posted by jvp
Like what?
Old 11-09-2017, 08:56 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Looks like a very interesting car. I'm going to wait out this C7 variant. We'll see how they look in a year or so but looks to be very promising. By that point, there might be more info out there on the ME Corvette, so who knows.
I think this car is going to be faster than the ACR on a lot of tracks. I'm also interested to know the function of the "four additional heat exchangers" in the car. And I don't like the nose, but I suppose if it feeds more air to those exchangers it's useful. The wing mounted outside of the hatch is going to be a PITA. And Tadges comment that "epic downforce" to hatch mounted wings will "crack the hatch" is a crock of sh*t. The ACR makes far more downforce with that huge wing and I don't know of a single ACR that has a hatch that has cracked.
Very cool car. GM turned the Z06 up to 12.
S.
I think we've pretty much established that Tadge is the sh*t talker of GM, I wish he would stfu and simply let the car speak for itself...I mean hasn't he had enough of an embarassement with the tragic automatic overheating Z06 best track car ever?...I swear the guy ruins the brand for me everytime he open is pie hole
The following 3 users liked this post by mirage2991:
Hirohawa (11-09-2017), Stingray23 (11-09-2017), sunsalem (11-09-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Car and Driver ZR1 Cover....

Old 11-09-2017, 09:05 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

I think in the shocks - Shock technology has come a long way.
It hasn't, really. Not in bandwidth, anyway. Sure, the shocks in the Camaro are interesting from a track-only sort of aspect. But they're awful on the road, unless your roads are flat, featureless, rutless, and perfect. As it turns out, most roads aren't.

The MR shocks are phenomenal tech. That they can be easily tuned to do different duties is proof of that, IMHO.
RS4EVA (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 09:08 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Tadge commented that mounting it on the hatch is for "poseurs" and that when you make "epic" amounts of downforce it will "crack the hatch". I only know of one car with a big wing mounted on the hatch, and I sure as heck don't think the downforce that ACR's make is anything less than epic and I don't know of a single ACR with a cracked hatch, lol.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the man's statement, specially since he's on the design team and you're not. I'll bet Tadge knows what he's talking about when it comes to the hatches on the Corvette. :-)
Old 11-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Tadge commented that mounting it on the hatch is for "poseurs" and that when you make "epic" amounts of downforce it will "crack the hatch". I only know of one car with a big wing mounted on the hatch, and I sure as heck don't think the downforce that ACR's make is anything less than epic and I don't know of a single ACR with a cracked hatch, lol.
Are the hatches on the two cars made of the same material?
Mounting the wing to the frame of the car seems like a nice idea, even if it doesn't get out of the way for cargo access. I'd reckon they tried a hatch-mounted wing, and had good reasons for rejecting that location.
The following 2 users liked this post by Warp Factor:
jvp (11-09-2017), TOPSPOT (11-09-2017)

Quick Reply: Car and Driver ZR1 Cover....