C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Car and Driver ZR1 Cover....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Iker
Burning Brakes

Received 1,274 Likes on 355 Posts

The only concern I have here
how the hell the new GT2 RS laps 6:47 in Nurburgring! and in the same run it tops 200 mph in the back straight line.. It has a huge wing like this in the ZR1

I am not sure the new ZR1 with the huge wing can go further than 175mph

That's why Chevrolet should introduce the new C8 early! They really need mid engine, DCT and Twin turbo with lower displacement to stay in competition
Old 11-11-2017, 09:44 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Don't Be! ;)

Originally Posted by Iker
how the hell the new GT2 RS laps 6:47 in Nurburgring! and in the same run it tops 200 mph in the back straight line.. It has a huge wing like this in the ZR1

That's why Chevrolet should introduce the new C8 early! They really need mid engine, DCT and Twin turbo with lower displacement to stay in competition
The LT5 has a larger relative chunk of HP they're tapping into. Much of that LT4 lower mid torque had to be tune down, as tuners here have said.
GM appears to have proportioned for that this time!
The GT2 RS is tapping into the good stuff too.
I've learned manually boosting my turbo when, where, and why - Sideways at 60 MPH!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 11-11-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
hey poor-sha do u have a link to the 1:55.95 vir full run? That' faster than one of the ACR claimed track records, was hoping to use the link to update the fastestlaps.com page lol
I don't. It was on a slide in the video posted of GM's announcement at SEMA.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Engines don't produce HP, they produce torque. Torque is a turning force, or a force in a circle. And that's exactly what an engine produces at its flywheel. HP is calculated from torque using the easy formula:

HP = (Tq x RPM) / 5252

That's why on a properly scaled HP/Tq graph, you'll always see them cross at exactly 5252RPMs.

OK, with that out of the way, the important things with torque are: how much is there and where is it in the RPM range? As we've found out from the LT5 info via Car and Driver, it sounds like they bumped the torque number up across the rev range, which will absolutely increase the HP. They could have played games and somehow bumped the torque peak up without smoothly raising it across the board. That would produce more torque at peak, but the HP number wouldn't change much at all. That's an exaggeration as it would be nearly impossible to do in an engine. But hopefully it makes the point: both numbers are directly related.

As Tadge pointed out in the C&D article: raising the red line and maintaining the same torque would also increase HP. Based on that formula up there, bump the torque OR the engine speed, and you'll also bump the HP. Bump both and you'll up the HP even more.

A common misconception is that "torque will get me out of the corner faster," or "torque will get me off the line faster." Well, yeah. But torque is also moving you down the straight faster, or through the traps faster. Remember: torque is produced, HP is calculated. What you feel is the torque at a specific RPM.

Does that make sense or did I confuse you further?
Thanks it is a bit clearer. So the 650\650 @6500 LT4 was a great achievement in the curve. The LT5 appears not to have the same success.... so far. So are the C&D numbers of the LT5 saying that the engine as a whole is peaking towards its max torque?

If I remember the Hellcat has 707hp but only has 580 in torque. So they simply squeezed out the best rpm (warranty safe) to achieve that 707 high number they were looking for? To me this shows a less efficient performance engine design, true?

Ok I'm am a little and should stick to suspensions or some thing else LOL!
Old 11-11-2017, 10:52 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Yes sir, an absolute fairy tale ending! ;)

Originally Posted by Kappa
Back of the napkin math, I think the ZR1 should be around 6:55-7:00. That's assuming the Z06 runs about 7:10 with a factory driver. Could possibly even quicker than the 2.5 seconds at VIR suggests knowing how much time is spent at high speeds at the Ring. The added power, downforce, and lessened drag will make a big difference. Not only that, with the new cooling package, the A8 should be able to make the full run which will help tremendously as well.

Also, knowing Porsche, the GT2RS is probably making more like 750hp itself as they don't use SAE-certified ratings for their engines. The Germans never rate their turbo engines properly.
Since the math doesn't work let us hope the A8, and the Software, can save the day at The Ring.

The GT2 RS is smaller than the Vette!

Old 11-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha

If the deal is right I will probably get one. If for no other reason than to again demonstrate to all the keyboard haters that the car is far more capable than they claim.
I won't bite for 2 reasons...

1) I got a Demon coming so light on the MUHLA

2) I won't be a 140K Guinea Pig......
Old 11-11-2017, 11:13 AM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Iker

I think many would agree that the 6:47 by the GT2RS is just a tad 'suspect.' More than likely a very nicely 'massaged' car by Porsche for the Ring.

As for your last statement about DCT, Mid-Engine, TT. I seem to recall the Z06 being just about the quickest car around any track under $500k when it came out. The only thing quicker were million dollar hyper cars and the ACR-E Viper. How is it that Chevyrolet is falling behind again?

The mid engine. DCT, TT Ferrari 488 isn't faster, the Mid-engine, DCT, TT Mac 570-650 aren't faster...heck I'm not even sure the 675LT is quicker around a track. I think you are grossly over stating things here. The ZR1 will likely be the quickest thing around a race track on the market. Even faster than the hyper cars...Doesn't sound like they are 'losing' ground to their competition.

Last edited by ZoratZ06; 11-11-2017 at 11:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZoratZ06:
Howdie (11-13-2017), JerriVette (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Looks like a very interesting car. I'm going to wait out this C7 variant. We'll see how they look in a year or so but looks to be very promising. By that point, there might be more info out there on the ME Corvette, so who knows.
I think this car is going to be faster than the ACR on a lot of tracks. I'm also interested to know the function of the "four additional heat exchangers" in the car. And I don't like the nose, but I suppose if it feeds more air to those exchangers it's useful. The wing mounted outside of the hatch is going to be a PITA. And Tadges comment that "epic downforce" to hatch mounted wings will "crack the hatch" is a crock of sh*t. The ACR makes far more downforce with that huge wing and I don't know of a single ACR that has a hatch that has cracked.
Very cool car. GM turned the Z06 up to 12.
S.
So Sean has verified that Tadge is still fibbing a little
Old 11-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
The new ZR1 supposedly has 30 more torque over the Z06. I have always understood that torque is a more important track use number than horsepower. This is for you engine guys as I am surly not, please explain. Is it true?
Torque is just a force which doesn't involve motion, and doesn't tell you anything about how well it will move the car.
A measurement of work that can be done (moving the car) needs to involve both force and motion (torque and rotational speed), and that's what we call horsepower.

The horsepower across the rpm spectrum (not just the peak horsepower) is really what what tells you what an engine can do, and the torque figures themselves are rather meaningless. I wonder why they even bother to include them. Tradition, I guess.

Let's say you have one engine with 200 torque, and another with 400 torque. Which will propel the car faster? There's no way to know, because we don't know how fast they are turning.
But lets say that the lower torque engine spins twice as fast as the engine which has twice as much torque. They will have equal ability to move the car, and the horsepower will be the same.
Why? Because the engine which spins twice as fast can be geared down twice as much, doubling the torque, so the usable torque and the power available to the wheels from each engine will actually end up the same.

So again, engine torque by itself is a rather meaningless number. It's the horsepower which tells you what the engine can do, when it comes to propelling the car.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 11-11-2017 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mad Dog 24 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 11:40 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
I think many would agree that the 6:47 by the GT2RS is just a tad 'suspect.' More than likely a very nicely 'massaged' car by Porsche for the Ring.

As for your last statement about DCT, Mid-Engine, TT. I seem to recall the Z06 being just about the quickest car around any track under $500k when it came out. The only thing quicker were million dollar hyper cars and the ACR-E Viper. How is it that Chevyrolet is falling behind again?

The mid engine. DCT, TT Ferrari 488 isn't faster, the Mid-engine, DCT, TT Mac 570-650 aren't faster...heck I'm not even sure the 675LT is quicker around a track. I think you are grossly over stating things here. The ZR1 will likely be the quickest thing around a race track on the market. Even faster than the hyper cars...Doesn't sound like they are 'losing' ground to their competition.
I totally agree with you on the typical Porsche massaged ring times. They have been doing that for a long time. Here is a very good rant article by Dale Lomas of BridgeToGantry about Porsche doing that very thing. The fact that the GT2 RS was 10 seconds faster than their own hypercar 918 and 26 seconds faster than it's sister car GT3 is absurd. The article discusses some of the tactics that Porsche and other manufacturers have used to create quicker lap times than their production counterparts.

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/rant-s...ring-laptimes/

Last edited by skank; 11-11-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:53 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Interestingly!? ;)

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
So Sean has verified that Tadge is still fibbing a little
He is the only guy that has spoke to a wings blowing off a car on track, as I recall!?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 11-11-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:01 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Power is what gets you down the straight. Engine takes fuel's potential chemical energy and converts it to thermal energy via a spark plug's spark and then to a blend of mechanical and thermal energy and then back into thermal energy and some additional chaos of molecules. The car pushes through the air and gives the air molecules kinetic energy and that goes back into thermal energy. At high speed, the air has a very high resistance to a car passing through it, and you need to dissipate a great deal of energy per second to keep it going and accelerating through the air. Energy dissipated per unit time is defined as power. You basically burn so much fuel per second of running at whatever speed. Car increases its kinetic energy due to its mass and speed increasing. The power required to keep a car going fast through the air once it is no longer accelerating is almost all due to air resistance, and the power required goes up as the cube of velocity for a given aero drag. So given a certain drag coefficient and frontal area, add rolling resistance from the tires and bearings which need to be big for high power cars, yu find that the way to go fast on track is to go fast in the straights and for that you need high power. A high power engine dissipates a lot of heat, so it needs large cooling elements and high drag producing air inlets, and high strength materials for all moving parts. That is why so many fast cars on track are heavy these days. High power means high terminal straight speeds for a given lift to drag ratio, and that means high mass unless you use a great deal of exotic materials such as Ferrari and McLaren use with their carbon fibre elements.

You don't really need to bring torque into it. Diesel road cars have high torque, but low power. Gas models of the same car with the same torque but higher power will accelerate much faster. All you really need is HP vs RPM. Peak HP determines the max velocity of the car. That is why the ZR1 which has increased power by a much higher % than it has increased it's weight will likely be much faster than the Z06.
The following 2 users liked this post by descartesfool:
Mad Dog 24 (11-11-2017), skank (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 12:08 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
You better get out your crayons and scratch out a letter to G.M. before it's too late. And remember, no foot stomping or door slamming or you'll get the belt again.
That's kinda mean...

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24

If I remember the Hellcat has 707hp but only has 580 in torque.
Actually, it's rated at 650lbs.

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06

The mid engine. DCT, TT Ferrari 488 isn't faster, the Mid-engine, DCT, TT Mac 570-650 aren't faster...heck I'm not even sure the 675LT is quicker around a track. I think you are grossly over stating things here. The ZR1 will likely be the quickest thing around a race track on the market. Even faster than the hyper cars...
This is where something like the Lightening Lap is helpful.

Originally Posted by skank
The fact that the GT2 RS was 10 seconds faster than their own hypercar 918 and 26 seconds faster than it's sister car GT3 is absurd.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:55 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
I won't bite for 2 reasons...

1) I got a Demon coming so light on the MUHLA

2) I won't be a 140K Guinea Pig......
I understand the guinea pig theory but your heading to the lab with the Demon aren't you?
Old 11-11-2017, 01:36 PM
HotHonda
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
I totally agree with you on the typical Porsche massaged ring times. They have been doing that for a long time. Here is a very good rant article by Dale Lomas of BridgeToGantry about Porsche doing that very thing. The fact that the GT2 RS was 10 seconds faster than their own hypercar 918 and 26 seconds faster than it's sister car GT3 is absurd. The article discusses some of the tactics that Porsche and other manufacturers have used to create quicker lap times than their production counterparts.

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/rant-s...ring-laptimes/
Self explanatory:

sunsalem (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 01:59 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

that may be the cheapest yet most effective commercial ever made.
Hemi Dave (11-14-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 05:28 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa

The things people do to rationalize their purchases.
Or, you know, maybe people just have an opinion you don't agree with. Shocking, I know, but it happens.

Get notified of new replies

To Car and Driver ZR1 Cover....

Old 11-12-2017, 12:05 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Torque curve disects HP curve flattening out!

From launch on where you want to be!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 11-12-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:36 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Fun fact: I went to Safeway after work to pick up dish washing soap and decided to pop into the magazine aisle for a few minutes. I looked for Car and Driver and sure enough the December copy with the ZR1 was sitting there. I guess Chevy couldn't wait to reveal the car on Sunday.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:00 AM
Izzy1000
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Now we know a few things 750 hp 680tq 140 pounds more weight in the nose.
90 percent Z06 and interior with a new front clip. Starts at 120,000.00
So my guess is around 150k loaded.
Huge wing is non starter! The wheel cap is the same one on the GS machined cup wheels.

Why would anyone want to buy this car over a ZO6. The suspension is the same, brakes are the same, Engine has a larger supercharger for just 100 extra HP. The hood is different and so is the front grill. It also has a large wing on the back. I paid $112,000 plus tax for a fully loaded 2016 ZO7. If a loaded ZR1 will cost about $140,000-$150,000 why bother. To pay $20,000 to $40,000 more for a 100 HP is ridiculous

Quick Reply: Car and Driver ZR1 Cover....