C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 vs. C8

Old 11-22-2017, 11:45 PM
bikevette
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ZR1 vs. C8

OK, this has been hinted at in many threads, so I'd like to get this started.
ZR1 vs. C8. Why?

We have all the specs on the ZR1 except the price which should be out any day now.

What we know about the C8 is very little. But I think fair speculation will be that it will catch up with technology already seen on the road for awhile now. ME and DOHC is about the just of it as of now.

My 2015 Z51, which I love to track and which handles like a dream, has a primitive navigation system, no lane assist or blind spot monitoring, and no auto emergency braking. You may not care about this stuff, but it's the way of the modern world.

Since I've owned it I had a diff replaced due to failure on the track, have had constant annoyances like a cabin fan intermittent failure which can't be duplicated at the dealer, intermittent seat switch operation, and intermittent air bag warnings. The iPhone won't pair reliably with bluetooth so I have to use a USB cable, and it still won't read the phone info half the time on the DIC. (Songs, playlists, podcasts, etc.) The trunk doesn't open up high enough to get your fingers under it without a struggle starting about a year ago. The electric door switches (only IMHO) are a safety hazard re: getting out of the car quickly if needed. Ya, I know, the handle on the floor.

Consumer reports just rated the C7 at the bottom of reliability for sports cars.

Will the C8 catch up with (or surpass) current technology? How will it be priced, which actually for me is not on the top of the list.

Will reliability issues be dealt with?

The ZR1 is an upgrade to the C7, but it's still a C7. Not to say not a very impressive one of course, and I'm sure the performance will be eye watering for the price, and the handling will even surpass my Z51, which is no slouch.

Standing by for incoming..........

Last edited by bikevette; 11-23-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:18 AM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

This posting convinces me even more that it's time to order an SLC kit.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:45 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
This posting convinces me even more that it's time to order an SLC kit.
What's an SLC kit?
Old 11-23-2017, 01:00 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
What's an SLC kit?
It's a kit car from an English company, designed by a former McLaren F1 designer, mid engine, usually powered by a Chevy LS engine. Weight varies from low to mid 2,000 pounds. I don't think many production cars would keep up with a properly built SLC.

I'm just getting tired of all the complication of these production cars that bring nothing to the driving experience (in my opinion). Who is going to be able to keep a 20 year old C7 running?
Old 11-23-2017, 01:19 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I was actually going to ask that same question. I would have to see what the C8 looks like. I love the ZR1 but in all honesty it may be out of my price range at the moment (Canadian pricing has yet to be announced), I'm thinking high 140's which puts it out of reach for me for at least 2 years and by that time we should be seeing the first renderings of the C8.

I will need a little more time to actually make that decision. I know this, I will not get another C7 unless it's the ZR1.
The following users liked this post:
Tomljanovich (11-24-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 01:22 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

You guys want a simple car that is easy to maintain with rock solid drive terrain that sounds good goes fast and handles great? Get a GT350. I have had mine for 16,000 miles now. It blows everything I have owned, including multiple M3s and M5s as well as C7 Z51 and GS (didnt own these but drove them) out of the water. Performance wise its on par with GS, but driving experience, the noise it makes is just light years ahead of anything GM makes. Its my daily driver.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:48 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

You guys want a simple car that is easy to maintain with rock solid drive terrain that sounds good goes fast and handles great? Get a GT350. I have had mine for 16,000 miles now. It blows everything I have owned, including multiple M3s and M5s as well as C7 Z51 and GS (didnt own these but drove them) out of the water. Performance wise its on par with GS, but driving experience, the noise it makes is just light years ahead of anything GM makes. Its my daily driver.
The GT350R is 2 secs ahead of the base Stingray at VIR, the GS is 4.7 secs faster than the 350R so when you say the GT blows away a Z51 and GS I would like to know exactly how you come to this conclusion.

Last edited by themonk; 11-23-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:09 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by themonk
The GT350R is 2 secs ahead of the base Stingray at VIR, the GS is 4.7 secs faster than the 350R so when you say the GT blows away a Z51 and GS I would like to know exactly how you come to this conclusion.
Pure driving experience and joy. Thats how I come to this conclusion. Corvettes are nowhere near as exciting especially not GS or Z51. Shelby’s engine note alone and how it rumbles and loud it is are all reasons why I think that way. That car makes 430 ft/lbs which is a lot for a high revving engine. Porsche’s GT3 makes only 330 and makes that at sky high 6750 rpm vs Shelby reaching its max torque at 4000 rpm.

Also, I ll also point out one big advantage Shelby has over all other cars, back seats.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my opinion. Not everything is numbers.

I am in for ZR1 not because its involving (I m sure it is but not as nostalgic as my gt350) but because of its sheer speed, looks, and handling. It will be my weekend toy car. Totally different than gt350 which is the car I drive everyday, to train station, to my daughter’s school, even to the beach. I even put snow tires on it
Old 11-23-2017, 02:13 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by bikevette
OK, this has been hinted at in many threads, so I'd like to get this started.
ZR1 vs. C8. Why?

We have all the specs on the ZR1 except the price which should be out any day now.

What we know about the C8 is very little. But I think fair speculation will be that it will catch up with technology already seen on the road for awhile now. ME and DOHC is about the just of it as of now.

My 2015 Z51, which I love to track and which handles like a dream, has a primitive navigation system, no lane assist or blind spot monitoring, and no auto emergency braking. You may not care about this stuff, but it's the way of the modern world.

Since I've owned it I had a diff replaced due to failure on the track, have had constant annoyances like a cabin fan intermittent failure which can't be duplicated at the dealer, intermittent seat switch operation, and intermittent air bag warnings. The iPhone won't pair reliably with bluetooth so I have to use a USB cable, and it still won't read the phone info half the time on the DIC. (Songs, playlists, podcasts, etc.) The trunk doesn't open up high enough to get your fingers under it without a struggle starting about a year ago. The electric door switches (only IMHO) are a safety hazard re: getting out of the car quickly if needed. Ya, I know, the handle on the floor.

Consumer reports just rated the C7 at the bottom of reliability for sports cars.

Will the C8 catch up with (or surpass) current technology? How will it be priced, which actually for me is not on the top of the list.

Will reliability issues be dealt with?

The ZR1 is an upgrade to the C7, but it's still a C7. Not to say not a very impressive one of course, and I'm sure the performance will be eye watering for the price, and the handling will even surpass my Z51, which is no slouch.

Standing by for incoming..........
That is why I like the 1 lz everything works. the car is lighter and much less to go wrong. Seat heaters and blind spot monitors ? and other garbage in your Corvette??? PLEASE !!!!
Who uses the car navigation anyway? I never do on any car! Your smart phone has the best and newest nav! And tells you what to do!
All this stuff is why the Corvette is heavy and bloated! You want that stuff buy a Cadillac!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 11-23-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:29 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Pure driving experience and joy. Thats how I come to this conclusion. Corvettes are nowhere near as exciting especially not GS or Z51. Shelby’s engine note alone and how it rumbles and loud it is are all reasons why I think that way. That car makes 430 ft/lbs which is a lot for a high revving engine. Porsche’s GT3 makes only 330 and makes that at sky high 6750 rpm vs Shelby reaching its max torque at 4000 rpm.

Also, I ll also point out one big advantage Shelby has over all other cars, back seats.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my opinion. Not everything is numbers.

I am in for ZR1 not because its involving (I m sure it is but not as nostalgic as my gt350) but because of its sheer speed, looks, and handling. It will be my weekend toy car. Totally different than gt350 which is the car I drive everyday, to train station, to my daughter’s school, even to the beach. I even put snow tires on it
how is having a back seat an advantage? It does me absolutely no good, I have 10 other cars with back seats and they never get used. May I point out that the C7 weighs less, has a higher top speed, is faster than the 350 around a track, gets better fuel mileage, looks a lot better, etc.....

You're basing your opinion on subjective criteria, base it on performance figures and you'll see that it's close but not quite....win for the C7.

I'm a Mustang fan, I own two of them but I'm also a realist.

Last edited by themonk; 11-23-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:52 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

how is having a back seat an advantage? It does me absolutely no good, I have 10 other cars with back seats and they never get used. May I point out that the C7 weighs less, has a higher top speed, is faster than the 350 around a track, gets better fuel mileage, looks a lot better, etc.....

You're basing your opinion on subjective criteria, base it on performance figures and you'll see that it's close but not quite....win for the C7.

I'm a Mustang fan, I own two of them but I'm also a realist.
Correct, its very subjective. For me, it's the perfect "only" car for a small family man with 1 kid. Its a car I can drive everyday without having to buy another car and it allows me to have room for a proper sports car like ZR1

But I ll say something that is not fully subjective (or maybe its a tiny bit amount subjective), that is the sound that engine makes. You need to sit in one and experience it at WOT. I experienced every Corvette including Z06 and none of them come close to it from a rawness factor. GT350 is just badass. Only other car I drove that is similar is 997/991 GT3s.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:53 PM
bikevette
Racer

Hi, OP here.

As I said above, "You may not want all of this stuff, but it's the way of the modern world."

An expensive car that's not strictly dedicated to the track is going to have a problem marketing itself, especially a new model C8 without all the bells and whistles. Yes, I track my Z51 3LT, but I also take it on occasional road trips.

Unless you think the C8 is going to have a 1L * stripped down version, but I'd be surprised.

The reason I brought up the problems I've had/have with my C7 Z51 is that what is the likelihood they will be carried forward into the ZR1?

So anyway, before this thread gets too far hijacked, the subject is- drum roll.... wait for it...... "Are you going to buy a ZR!, or wait for a C8, and why?" Not about heated seats or Ford 350s.

Thanks all. :-)

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
That is why I like the 1 lz everything works. the car is lighter and much less to go wrong. Seat heaters and blind spot monitors ? and other garbage in your Corvette??? PLEASE !!!!
Who uses the car navigation anyway? I never do on any car! Your smart phone has the best and newest nav! And tells you what to do!
All this stuff is why the Corvette is heavy and bloated! You want that stuff buy a Cadillac!

Last edited by bikevette; 11-23-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:18 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Correct, its very subjective. For me, it's the perfect "only" car for a small family man with 1 kid. Its a car I can drive everyday without having to buy another car and it allows me to have room for a proper sports car like ZR1

But I ll say something that is not fully subjective (or maybe its a tiny bit amount subjective), that is the sound that engine makes. You need to sit in one and experience it at WOT. I experienced every Corvette including Z06 and none of them come close to it from a rawness factor. GT350 is just badass. Only other car I drove that is similar is 997/991 GT3s.
I will definitely agree with you in the sound department, my 5.0L come factory with a better sound than a Stingray.

Mustangs have come a long way since the Fox bodies and the higher 350, 350R and soon to be 500 are definitely forces to be reckoned with but is the 350 a better track car than the Z51 or GS, IMO no.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:10 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

So anyway, before this thread gets too far hijacked, the subject is- drum roll.... wait for it...... "Are you going to buy a ZR!, or wait for a C8, and why?" Not about heated seats or Ford 350s.

I've had a deposit on a ZR1 for 1.5 years so you know the vehicle I'm planning to purchase.

I'm fortunate to have other cars that are used for daily transportation and they have the modern technologies that work/fail/need repair. Recently, one vehicle displayed OBD signals for a variety of malfunctions...$1.1k later, it was a faulty sensor...hmmm.

Another vehicle has brake assist.

I constantly scan my driving horizon and vehicle peripherals - I'm a motorcyclist so it's survival training as well - to anticipate and avoid unsafe driving conditions. As a motorcycle/car track junky, I understand the great benefit of smooth inputs to steering, acceleration, braking, etc.
With brake assist for commuter driving, as I approach slower traffic and smoothly coast up to the vehicle in front of me (granted, I have the brake covered...but I should tap the brake to display brake lights to the vehicle behind), the computer technology might think I'm not braking ("HEY, are you awake behind the wheel?) and it SQUEALS loud BEEPS and boldly displays BRAKE on the dash.
Thankfully, I'm calm with no known heart conditions, but holy ...smoke... BIG BROTHER technologies don't necessarily know what's best in the driving environment.
One time, at very low bumper-to-bumper HWY traffic speeds, BIG BROTHER starting slamming on the brakes; it shouldn't have happened. Thankfully, I didn't get rear ended.

Yes, I know all the safety benefits to semi-autonomous technologies intervening when you might not..."It only takes once to save you from a crash, and you'll be glad you had it". That's why we've ordered the Driver Assistance pack on my wife's new car. But I do believe it's more equipment to fail and require expensive repair.
Voice-to-self: further evolution of driver assistance to autonomous vehicles is scary

So back to your inquiries...I can appreciate the benefits of features that perform reliably and support safe transportation. But I'm not fully confident in the reliable performance qualities of some of the semi-autonomous safety technologies. I'm not overly confident that GM (and other manufacturers) have/will have 'all the bugs" worked out of these newer technologies, particularly on a brand new product like the C8.

So, I would prefer the focus of my technologies to be upon features like performance differentials, traction control, yaw-rate sensing options, evolutionary ABS braking systems, etc. that are proven to be effective and reliable. The nod goes to the ZR1 where there has been "C7 proving time" for most of it's technologies.

As per vehicle design, my eye appreciates the front engine, rear drive vehicle proportions of sports cars, traditional in nature, with the long hood and short back...E Type Jags, C2 Corvettes.
However, the McLaren 720S and Ford GT look gorgeous but are well beyond my budget!

So, again a nod to the ZR1 over the C8...for me.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:55 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,588 Posts

I don’t see the dichotomy. If you like the ZR1, then get one... when the C8 come out, and you like it, then get one. I don’t see how it’s either one or the other. As far as technology, I’d venture to say that the C8 will far exceed the C7, as the C7 did over the C6... etc. Chasing newer and better will never be caught.

Last edited by sTz; 11-23-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:21 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sTz
I don’t see the dichotomy. If you like the ZR1, then get one... when the C8 come out, and you like it, then get one. I don’t see how it’s either one or the other. As far as technology, I’d venture to say that the C8 will far exceed the C7, as the C7 did over the C6... etc. Chasing newer and better will never be caught.
Good point but ask yourself, what would you rather have, a C6 ZR1 or '14 C7?
The following 2 users liked this post by themonk:
bikevette (11-24-2017), RobWilson (11-27-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 07:34 PM
bikevette
Racer

Nice reply to my post, thanks. I also track my Z51 and a bike. A 2006 GSX-R600. That thing doesn't have auto anything. LOL!

Good points on maybe the ZR1 having matured some of the faulty technology that might start all over again on the C8. Mine's a 2015 so hopefully a 2018 (delivered year, I'm having trouble considering a vehicle coming off the production line in Feb 2018 as a 2019) ZR1 might have smoothed some of this out.

My point being that for people who don't track their Vette (anecdotally 99%?) or who don't mind risking jail time- why not have all the safety upgrades? And yes, as you pointed out, they can cause problems too, but good or bad, the safety features are here to stay. I'd rather have my wife driving one with all the bells and whistles than not.

Re: a C8, other than safety items, maybe more mpg, maybe weight, and maybe ME assisted improved handling, I'm at a loss to try and guess whether it's worth waiting for one vs. a ZR1 for track duty or not. That's why I started this thread.

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Originally Posted by Vernon

I've had a deposit on a ZR1 for 1.5 years so you know the vehicle I'm planning to purchase.

I'm fortunate to have other cars that are used for daily transportation and they have the modern technologies that work/fail/need repair. Recently, one vehicle displayed OBD signals for a variety of malfunctions...$1.1k later, it was a faulty sensor...hmmm.

Another vehicle has brake assist.

I constantly scan my driving horizon and vehicle peripherals - I'm a motorcyclist so it's survival training as well - to anticipate and avoid unsafe driving conditions. As a motorcycle/car track junky, I understand the great benefit of smooth inputs to steering, acceleration, braking, etc.
With brake assist for commuter driving, as I approach slower traffic and smoothly coast up to the vehicle in front of me (granted, I have the brake covered...but I should tap the brake to display brake lights to the vehicle behind), the computer technology might think I'm not braking ("HEY, are you awake behind the wheel?) and it SQUEALS loud BEEPS and boldly displays BRAKE on the dash.
Thankfully, I'm calm with no known heart conditions, but holy ...smoke... BIG BROTHER technologies don't necessarily know what's best in the driving environment.
One time, at very low bumper-to-bumper HWY traffic speeds, BIG BROTHER starting slamming on the brakes; it shouldn't have happened. Thankfully, I didn't get rear ended.

Yes, I know all the safety benefits to semi-autonomous technologies intervening when you might not..."It only takes once to save you from a crash, and you'll be glad you had it". That's why we've ordered the Driver Assistance pack on my wife's new car. But I do believe it's more equipment to fail and require expensive repair.
Voice-to-self: further evolution of driver assistance to autonomous vehicles is scary

So back to your inquiries...I can appreciate the benefits of features that perform reliably and support safe transportation. But I'm not fully confident in the reliable performance qualities of some of the semi-autonomous safety technologies. I'm not overly confident that GM (and other manufacturers) have/will have 'all the bugs" worked out of these newer technologies, particularly on a brand new product like the C8.

So, I would prefer the focus of my technologies to be upon features like performance differentials, traction control, yaw-rate sensing options, evolutionary ABS braking systems, etc. that are proven to be effective and reliable. The nod goes to the ZR1 where there has been "C7 proving time" for most of it's technologies.

As per vehicle design, my eye appreciates the front engine, rear drive vehicle proportions of sports cars, traditional in nature, with the long hood and short back...E Type Jags, C2 Corvettes.
However, the McLaren 720S and Ford GT look gorgeous but are well beyond my budget!

So, again a nod to the ZR1 over the C8...for me.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 vs. C8

Old 11-23-2017, 08:05 PM
themonk
Team Owner

I think that it's way too early to come up with an answer. We have no idea on the specs, the looks, the options, bhp, etc. At least with the ZR1 we have a damn good idea as to what we're getting. We can speculate all we wish about the C8 but in the end we're clueless about it.
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (11-24-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 08:41 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

I think that it's way too early to come up with an answer. We have no idea on the specs, the looks, the options, bhp, etc. At least with the ZR1 we have a damn good idea as to what we're getting. We can speculate all we wish about the C8 but in the end we're clueless about it.
As a lifelong car nut, I remember in the mid 70’s to early-mid 80’s being disappointed with the performance car market. I was a newer driver and each year I’d hope for some increase in domestic car HP but nope. Then, gradually, the performance car market started to bring back HP and some driving excitement.

The quality and level of performance in today’s market is well beyond what I would have dreamed possible 35 years ago.

Look at the recent talk about the Tesla Roadster and it’s projected performance numbers. Not too long ago, it’s claimed quarter mile times would require a racing license...
It is an incredible time for car enthusiasts.

I do expect the C7 ZR1 will fall from the king’s throne to be replaced by a higher performing C8.

In the 70's and 80's, the challenge was to be happy with "not enough".

Today’s challenge is to be happy with what you have ‘cause you know somethin' better is comin’...ahhh, FIRST WORLD problems.

I can hear my dad’s voice...”Enjoy what you have!”
I still need to learn that lesson.

Happy Thanksgiving, folks!
Hope you're enjoying your blessings!

Last edited by Vernon; 11-23-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:09 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vernon
As a lifelong car nut, I remember in the mid 70’s to early-mid 80’s being disappointed with the performance car market. I was a newer driver and each year I’d hope for some increase in domestic car HP but nope. Then, gradually, the performance car market started to bring back HP and some driving excitement.

The quality and level of performance in today’s market is well beyond what I would have dreamed possible 35 years ago.

Look at the recent talk about the Tesla Roadster and it’s projected performance numbers. Not too long ago, it’s claimed quarter mile times would require a racing license...
It is an incredible time for car enthusiasts.

I do expect the C7 ZR1 will fall from the king’s throne to be replaced by a higher performing C8.

In the 70's and 80's, the challenge was to be happy with "not enough".

Today’s challenge is to be happy with what you have ‘cause you know somethin' better is comin’...ahhh, FIRST WORLD problems.

I can hear my dad’s voice...”Enjoy what you have!”
I still need to learn that lesson.

Happy Thanksgiving, folks!
Hope you're enjoying your blessings!
True.

Happy Thanksgiving my American friends.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZR1 vs. C8