C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

"ZR1 Wheels are Spun Forged Wheels" - Mind Boggling/Incredulous

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:51 PM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

Maybe they're locked into a contract with a specific supplier for the whole C7 line?

Personally I love th wheel design. Looks ripped off a Ferrari but still love them.

Raced many years on '02-'04 Z06 wheels which are spuncast and I know my car generates forces much higher than this new street car. We run 315 Hoosier A7s.
but but but you get more street cred when you roll up to cars n coffee with forged wheels.
The following users liked this post:
Z06Fiend (12-05-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 10:07 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Your just plain full of beans! What does owning a so called Exotic get you NOTHING but a smaller bank account.

Most people lease their so called Exotic's and don't even own them.
They worry about driving them they don't want any mile's on them.
Then you try to name a poor example about an old mustang? . A new C7 Z06 is not in any way lacking to the turd he his in his avatar.
His car is older than mine.

Then here is you preaching to me then driving your Z51 with an old centri kit?
What's it like? Your feel down in your car next to a Z06? All the while writing love letter's to P cars in your wishbook.
I thought your Z51 is/ was for sale??? Maybe lower the price.

I am proud I own 2 Z06's 1 A8 And 1 M7! Bought the cars I want not some lesser 3-8 year old slower so called EXOTIC !

I was pointing out to him being the pot calling the kettle black the guy whines about some ones arrogance while he is in full display showing his own arrogance. When some people laugh.

Too funny!

I have it made and very happy with my choices instead.

I guess the arrogance comment was directed at me. I hear it all the time, happens when you own a Lambo. Times are tough, so I'm back to a GS Z07.
Awesome you have both Z06s. Do you like the manual or auto better?
I just couldn't get into an auto, even with DCT.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:11 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

Spin forged is just so much more economical, and has all the great characteristics of forged.
I bet GM buys the spin forged wheels for $150-$200 each
Old 12-02-2017, 10:24 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Ok... so I was at Cars & Coffee this morning and met a gentleman who has a Z06 Z07 and has cracked 3 rear wheels from potholes. He beats his car up, but the consensus is that the tires are so low profile and so stiff from being runflats that it's transmitting a lot of force to the wheels. Never had that issue with C5 wheels.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:18 PM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Maybe they're locked into a contract with a specific supplier for the whole C7 line?

Personally I love th wheel design. Looks ripped off a Ferrari but still love them.

Raced many years on '02-'04 Z06 wheels which are spuncast and I know my car generates forces much higher than this new street car. We run 315 Hoosier A7s.
Is this picture the last one taken before your spun forged wheels had a cataclysmic failure and the car rolled 15 times.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:26 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by rikhek
Ridiculous. You don't put cheap *** rotary forged wheels on a $120k car. PERIOD.
Then don't buy one, real easy
Old 12-04-2017, 02:11 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
Then don't buy one, real easy
Not a good to say when you are trying to sell the cars.

The ZR1 wheel in carbon flash is horrible for a car with a 140k plus MSRP.
Look at the photo's close. Poor quality finish. Dirt is in the carbon flash what looks like hair in in the finish by the lug holes. The whole wheel is awful IMO!

The wheels are a huge let down!
Old 12-04-2017, 02:36 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Are you sure? A 3,600lb car with 1,000lb of downforce, 1,100lb/in springs, riding on supper low profile run flats that has to hit dips all day as well as the berm at the track?

On the other hand you have a car that is what, 500lbs lighter? You run A7 which means your car is substantially lighter. A 3,600lb production car will overheat those in 5 minutes especially if your rears are narrower 315 section. With small diameter wheels and cushy radial slick shoulders you will have a much easier time keeping that wheel together.

I have bent 4 of GM's flow formed wheels on the C7 and it stopped with a forged set of CCW. The OP is 100% correct, forged is the only way to go on the ZR1. Heck, any of the 12" wide wheels should come forged from GM per Tadge's explanation on how hard it is to keep them from bending.

I'm with the OP, this car needs a forged piece. GM throws all that money in CCBs and then weighs the car down with mid grade wheels. It's a shame.

No one says you need magnesium, carbon fiber, or 7000 series Dura aluminium for f's sake. Just a forged aluminum piece.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:10 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Are you sure? A 3,600lb car with 1,000lb of downforce, 1,100lb/in springs, riding on supper low profile run flats that has to hit dips all day as well as the berm at the track?

On the other hand you have a car that is what, 500lbs lighter? You run A7 which means your car is substantially lighter. A 3,600lb production car will overheat those in 5 minutes especially if your rears are narrower 315 section. With small diameter wheels and cushy radial slick shoulders you will have a much easier time keeping that wheel together.

I have bent 4 of GM's flow formed wheels on the C7 and it stopped with a forged set of CCW. The OP is 100% correct, forged is the only way to go on the ZR1. Heck, any of the 12" wide wheels should come forged from GM per Tadge's explanation on how hard it is to keep them from bending.

I'm with the OP, this car needs a forged piece. GM throws all that money in CCBs and then weighs the car down with mid grade wheels. It's a shame.

No one says you need magnesium, carbon fiber, or 7000 series Dura aluminium for f's sake. Just a forged aluminum piece.
Everyone road races on A7s... not just light cars. If you run Rs you'll lose.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:02 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Check the C6 ZR1 for these issues! ;)

It's as simple as that, HERE!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-05-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:27 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

I did laugh when I saw that. There's Mustangs offered with Carbon Fiber wheels, meanwhile a six digit Corvette doesn't have fully forged wheels.. Granted if I had the Mustang I'd sell the Carbon Fiber wheels right away and buy a good set of forged wheels. I just hope those spun forged wheels are significantly better than the wheels on other C7's. I've bent three OEM C7 wheels on the track already.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:36 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default C6 ZR1 (C7 ZO6) extra spokes!

Interestingly, and not unlike quality forged wheels, these new wheels are relatively simple - right!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-05-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

I have no problem with spun cast wheels, they are very strong, very light and typically of far superior quality than traditional cast wheels. OE Corvette wheels are excellent. If someone wants forged, let them buy forged wheels in the aftermarket, and keep the cost down of the car for the rest of the folks.
johnglenntwo (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:46 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

^^^
Chuckle at all the knocking of “spun forged” wheels. The first Bash after the C7 was introduced showed the process in a video. It is used for the Z51 and some Grand Sport wheels. There is a lot of metal forming needed to take a blank and spin to make the rim go from like 4 inch to 12 inches wide. Lots of strength increase with all that cold work. As I recall the Swiss company who GM buys them from makes them in their factory in Mexico.

Can understand some concern about cast wheels used for the base car but cast aluminum is not like cast iron! The hollow “A” frame members and hollow front and rear cradles used on the C7 are cast! Unlike cast iron with it’s high carbon that is brittle, cast aluminum is not. It is also readily weldable unlike cast iron, in fact some frame members are cast and welded to wrought aluminum members. However it is typically not inherently as strong as a "quality" forging. Have not seen posts where the “A” frames or cradles are cracking!

Cracked wheels can be caused by a design with a low safety factor or as GM says hitting pot holes! The ZR1 is designed for folks who track and no pot holes there. Suggest if buying one for the street to avoid pot holes and curbs! Believe the cast C7 wheels come from China and in my experience that can be a quality issue! Found inconsistent quality with Chinese parts when I was working full time as well as recently with ceramic brake pads in the Grand Sport.

You can make crap, beit cast, forged, spin cast etc! You can also make quality parts with these processes. Don’t know that the ZR1 wheels are a good design, but expect they are.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-05-2017 at 11:05 AM.
johnglenntwo (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:07 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

No potholes on track, but you should see the curbing in 10a and 10b at road atlanta!
Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
Chuckle at all the knocking of “spun forged” wheels. The first Bash after the C7 was introduced showed the process in a video. It is used for the Z51 and some Grand Sport wheels. There is a lot of metal forming needed to take a blank and spin to make the rim go from like 4 inch to 12 inches wide. Lots of strength increase with all that cold work. As I recall the Swiss company who GM buys them from makes them in their factory in Mexico.

Can understand some concern about cast wheels used for the base car but cast aluminum is not like cast iron! The hollow “A” frame members and hollow front and rear cradles used on the C7 are cast! Unlike cast iron with it’s high carbon that is brittle, cast aluminum is not. It is also readily weldable unlike cast iron, in fact some frame members are cast and welded to wrought aluminum members. However it is typically not inherently as strong as a "quality" forging. Have not seen posts where the “A” frames or cradles are cracking!

Cracked wheels can be caused by a design with a low safety factor or as GM says hitting pot holes! The ZR1 is designed for folks who track and no pot holes there. Suggest if buying one for the street to avoid pot holes and curbs! Believe the cast C7 wheels come from China and in my experience that can be a quality issue! Found inconsistent quality with Chinese parts when I was working full time as well as recently with ceramic brake pads in the Grand Sport.

You can make crap, beit cast, forged, spin cast etc! You can also make quality parts with these processes. Don’t know that the ZR1 wheels are a good design, but expect they are.
JerryU (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:13 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default And The Nurburgring run sees air!? ;)

No potholes on track, but you should see the curbing in 10a and 10b at road atlanta!

And

The GS wheels are even lighter because they can be, and some wonder!

But hey my 2002 has 2004 shocks!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-05-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:38 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Not a good to say when you are trying to sell the cars.

The ZR1 wheel in carbon flash is horrible for a car with a 140k plus MSRP.
Look at the photo's close. Poor quality finish. Dirt is in the carbon flash what looks like hair in in the finish by the lug holes. The whole wheel is awful IMO!

The wheels are a huge let down!
Some people (the ones actually buying) like them. Did you ever stop and think that maybe the poor quality you speak of is actually the photo?

Get notified of new replies

To "ZR1 Wheels are Spun Forged Wheels" - Mind Boggling/Incredulous

Old 12-05-2017, 02:00 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
I have no problem with spun cast wheels, they are very strong, very light and typically of far superior quality than traditional cast wheels. OE Corvette wheels are excellent. If someone wants forged, let them buy forged wheels in the aftermarket, and keep the cost down of the car for the rest of the folks.
Except they are not, I literally bent two just by riding curbing on track first day out, they didn't even have a chance to hit one pothole. When I did hit a pothole with a new set both wheels on that side bent to the degree that they vibrated at 40mph. I would say I even got lucky, some guys had cracks in the wheels and couldn't hold air.

Yes one could buy forged wheels aftermarket. However Chevy is losing here big time. Where other mfg can design classic wheel designs that owners want to run out of the box and never remove, Chevy guys are forced to ditch the OEM look. It is important.

Originally Posted by JerryU
I bent both the OEM C7 Z and the C7 GS wheels, two each. Expectations are built on prior experience are they not? Why would you expect any different?

In a way you are correct, you can build a strong spun cast wheel. However, Chevy wants it all a light weight wheel, a wide one, run flats, cars loaded with 3,600 lbs of content, and at the end of the day are not willing to spend a penny on a forging. The solution is to make them heavier or go forged.

Everyone road races on A7s... not just light cars. If you run Rs you'll lose.
Almost everyone's car that road races weighs less than 3,560 lbs, as I expect your car does.
The following 2 users liked this post by SBC_and_a_stick:
rb185afm (12-09-2017), rikhek (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 02:26 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Too bad you don't read my posts you might actually get it! ;)

Except they are not, I literally bent two just by riding curbing on track first day out, they didn't even have a chance to hit one pothole. When I did hit a pothole with a new set both wheels on that side bent to the degree that they vibrated at 40mph. I would say I even got lucky, some guys had cracks in the wheels and couldn't hold air.

Yes one could buy forged wheels aftermarket. However Chevy is losing here big time. Where other mfg can design classic wheel designs that owners want to run out of the box and never remove, Chevy guys are forced to ditch the OEM look. It is important.

I bent both the OEM C7 Z and the C7 GS wheels, two each. Expectations are built on prior experience are they not? Why would you expect any different?

In a way you are correct, you can build a strong spun cast wheel. However, Chevy wants it all a light weight wheel, a wide one, run flats, cars loaded with 3,600 lbs of content, and at the end of the day are not willing to spend a penny on a forging. The solution is to make them heavier or go forged.

Almost everyone's car that road races weighs less than 3,560 lbs, as I expect your car does.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-05-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:27 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Yes one could buy forged wheels aftermarket. However Chevy is losing here big time. Where other mfg can design classic wheel designs that owners want to run out of the box and never remove...

1. I agree.... the Z51 wheels on my Stingray are the first wheels I don't want to change. I love them.

2. Lots of cars are 3500 with cages... Vipers and GTRs etc.

Quick Reply: "ZR1 Wheels are Spun Forged Wheels" - Mind Boggling/Incredulous