C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

"ZR1 Wheels are Spun Forged Wheels" - Mind Boggling/Incredulous

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 02:42 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
Some people (the ones actually buying) like them. Did you ever stop and think that maybe the poor quality you speak of is actually the photo?
The photo is poor but good enough to see! Look close yourself at painted area around the lug
holes and you tell me they look good!
Old 12-05-2017, 05:27 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default These guys have been on it! ;)

Cry babies aside -

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...available.html

(The ZO6 wheels Suck - move-on!)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-05-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:56 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
1. I agree.... the Z51 wheels on my Stingray are the first wheels I don't want to change. I love them.

2. Lots of cars are 3500 with cages... Vipers and GTRs etc.
Your car looks like an ST2 class C5. C5s in that race class weigh 3,000lbs plus minus 50lbs:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...06-weight.html
Old 12-05-2017, 07:09 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Your car looks like an ST2 class C5. C5s in that race class weigh 3,000lbs plus minus 50lbs:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...06-weight.html
I'm well aware... I built it. My target min comp weight with me in it and min fuel load was 3150. Never said the car was as heavy as a C7Z, but that it would generate comparable forces. The wheels aren't indestructible but won't bend from normal use... takes a very hard curbing, but then even the best forged wheels bend. At some level wheels are a fuse... you'd rather the wheel bend instead of suspension breaking.
The following users liked this post:
skank (12-09-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:59 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
The photo is poor but good enough to see! Look close yourself at painted area around the lug
holes and you tell me they look good!
They look good. Do you really think the paint quality is any different than the typical GM wheel?
Old 12-06-2017, 12:11 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default No! ;)

Originally Posted by rob62

They look good. Do you really think the paint quality is any different than the typical GM wheel?
He, and others😢, just Really think they're Forged!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:58 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Wheel damage kept them off The Ring!?

Mero's crash!?
Old 12-06-2017, 10:11 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by fatsport

Spin forged are just as strong as forged. They pass the same strength tests as forged.

You’re joking, right?

They pass the same test, sure... TUV, JWL, VIA, etc... As do low pressure cast wheels... What’s your point?

Please don’t make statements like this.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:22 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default I've Googled the Hell out of this! ;)

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
You’re joking, right?

They pass the same test, sure... TUV, JWL, VIA, etc... As do low pressure cast wheels... What’s your point?

Again, the C6 ZR1 wheels had no real issues.
The C7 ZO6 wheels just plain Suck!
From what is being attested to they just aren't safe on this car!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-06-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:23 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Except they are not, I literally bent two just by riding curbing on track first day out, they didn't even have a chance to hit one pothole. When I did hit a pothole with a new set both wheels on that side bent to the degree that they vibrated at 40mph. I would say I even got lucky, some guys had cracks in the wheels and couldn't hold air.

Yes one could buy forged wheels aftermarket. However Chevy is losing here big time. Where other mfg can design classic wheel designs that owners want to run out of the box and never remove, Chevy guys are forced to ditch the OEM look. It is important.

I bent both the OEM C7 Z and the C7 GS wheels, two each. Expectations are built on prior experience are they not? Why would you expect any different?

In a way you are correct, you can build a strong spun cast wheel. However, Chevy wants it all a light weight wheel, a wide one, run flats, cars loaded with 3,600 lbs of content, and at the end of the day are not willing to spend a penny on a forging. The solution is to make them heavier or go forged.

Almost everyone's car that road races weighs less than 3,560 lbs, as I expect your car does.

Anyone who knows anything about wheels at all knows you, OP, and those disappointed in flow formed wheels on the ZR1, have very good reason to be disappointed.

Flow formed wheels are the new low pressure cast wheels. They still have a LP cast face and although the grain structure of the barrel is close to that of a forged variant... They are by far not the same wheel as a forged wheel. Not even close. Better than full LP cast, but that’s it. Nothing more. They are BARELY more light weight than full cast if even at all. Usually close to the same, but if so only a hair because the face is still cast and requires more mass to achieve strength.

They are extremely cheap, now the same price point as full LP cast as well. The GT350 gets a carbon fiber wheel option and GM goes flow formed. What a joke for the halo car. They should have at least offered the option.
The following 3 users liked this post by \Boost Monkey/:
desmophile (07-17-2018), Foosh (07-22-2018), rb185afm (12-09-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:32 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default The Spokes tell the story! ;)

These new wheels represent the first time the SC Corvette didn't get reinforced spokes, and it is the biggest power, of course!
Forged wheels for the SC Vettes mirror that!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-06-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:34 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I thought the zr1 wheels are fine. The car is pretty impressive although I'd prefer no rear spoiler as it's a little over the top for me.

Jmo but anyone foolish enough to dismiss the new ZR1 is off their rocker...imo

Fabulous car and even my friends with mclaren s etc are impressed with the zr1.

Only on these forums do we hear people bitch about the zr1 as an economy sports car...

The corvette engineers do an amazing job,
The following users liked this post:
dgerstel (11-21-2018)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:54 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

You’re joking, right?

Anyone who knows anything about wheels at all knows you, OP, and those disappointed in flow formed wheels on the ZR1, have very good reason to be disappointed.

Flow formed wheels are the new low pressure cast wheels. They still have a LP cast face and although the grain structure of the barrel is close to that of a forged variant... They are by far not the same wheel as a forged wheel. Not even close. Better than full LP cast, but that’s it. Nothing more. They are BARELY more light weight than full cast if even at all. Usually close to the same, but if so only a hair because the face is still cast and requires more mass to achieve strength.

They are extremely cheap, now the same price point as full LP cast as well. The GT350 gets a carbon fiber wheel option and GM goes flow formed. What a joke for the halo car. They should have at least offered the option.
Well said. I've lost patience in crafting intelligent responses to statements that demonstrate a complete lack of technical knowledge.

Maybe you taking the time to educate those commenting incorrectly will bear fruit. Good luck. I've tried with limited success.

Rick
Old 12-07-2017, 12:21 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default BullCrap! He needs to have "Forged" Defined for him! ;)

Originally Posted by rikhek
Well said. I've lost patience in crafting intelligent responses to statements that demonstrate a complete lack of technical knowledge.

Maybe you taking the time to educate those commenting incorrectly will bear fruit. Good luck. I've tried with limited success.

Rick

http://www.victorequipmentwheels.com...che-wheels.php

A company I worked for used to OEM CAST/machine these wheels for Chevy. Four different part numbers and My special tooling to accommodate and facilitate all of that!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-07-2017 at 08:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnglenntwo:
bcmarly (12-24-2017), Palantirion (07-17-2018)
Old 12-24-2017, 06:24 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Maybe they're locked into a contract with a specific supplier for the whole C7 line?

Personally I love th wheel design. Looks ripped off a Ferrari but still love them.

Raced many years on '02-'04 Z06 wheels which are spuncast and I know my car generates forces much higher than this new street car. We run 315 Hoosier A7s.
and your cars weight is ?
weight and g forces = stress on wheel...
dia on wheel also has come into play... a 20 inch with the same material strength will suffer catastrophically long before a 17 inch with same material and strength...
Old 12-24-2017, 10:31 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Real world strength!

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
and your cars weight is ?
weight and g forces = stress on wheel...
dia on wheel also has come into play... a 20 inch with the same material strength will suffer catastrophically long before a 17 inch with same material and strength...
ANY wheel undergoes appropriate design and testing. Even a cast wheel can get by just being heavier, but, performance numbers would have to suffer.
Of course there can also be quality control and process problems that could have them negotiating away robustness. This is likely the problem!
No-Way this is happening in the Top ZR1 Vette now! Hopefully they won't mark them up too much, but, if they do it probably will be because of them really being forged, and/or ending up stronger, and not them being ZR1 wheels.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-24-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:44 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by fatsport
The obsession with forged wheels on this board baffles me. The arrogance that goes with it is hysterical to me considering you’re buying an economy sports car. Crazy tall gearing, skip shift, dod, not to mention Chevy quality.

Spin forged are just as strong as forged. They pass the same strength tests as forged. HRE Jullian confirmed this. They are light weight out on the barrel, where the rotating mass is most important.
Where's the picture of the exotic! Times are tough and your back in a GS?
Then you call a ZR1 an ECOMONY sports car is that why you BOUGHT a GS????? People are so off base they really need a reality check!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 12-24-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To "ZR1 Wheels are Spun Forged Wheels" - Mind Boggling/Incredulous

Old 12-24-2017, 09:56 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Think the ZR1 Wheels are the same class as the ZO6!? ;)

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
People are so off base they really need a reality check!
Old 12-24-2017, 10:26 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Maybe they're locked into a contract with a specific supplier for the whole C7 line?

Personally I love th wheel design. Looks ripped off a Ferrari but still love them.

Raced many years on '02-'04 Z06 wheels which are spuncast and I know my car generates forces much higher than this new street car. We run 315 Hoosier A7s.
You didn't think it necessary to use the 2001 Z06 wheel which was the same design but forged?
Old 12-26-2017, 01:57 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm well aware... I built it. My target min comp weight with me in it and min fuel load was 3150. Never said the car was as heavy as a C7Z, but that it would generate comparable forces. The wheels aren't indestructible but won't bend from normal use... takes a very hard curbing, but then even the best forged wheels bend. At some level wheels are a fuse... you'd rather the wheel bend instead of suspension breaking.
Well, after fishing for the info in several posts and not getting any input from you I had to fetch it. I was sure YOU knew how much it weighed to the LB.

I've never seen someone come out of an accident upon having a wheel failure saying "good thing it went, better than X or Y."

Truth is, you don't know what the weakest link is and if you did you wouldn't buid a car to fail in some fashion. Typically we try to beef up all areas on track so that NOTHING fails, especially wheels.

That is unless you are in a GM sponsored race team in the big leagues, building a car to JUST survive the race in order to be competitive.

Quick Reply: "ZR1 Wheels are Spun Forged Wheels" - Mind Boggling/Incredulous