C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1-My thoughts-FWIW

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 02:36 PM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Default ZR1-My thoughts-FWIW

Been watching/reading a lot on this new "wonder car" and am coming to the personal conclusion that the car is creeping very close to looking kinda ricey. Even with the "smaller" wing the overall appearance seems to be looking for a European identity i.e. Lamborghini, etc.
Just doesn't light me up like I thought it would. Oh well.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:23 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:43 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

thanks
Old 12-01-2017, 03:57 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Please see it in person and you might well be surprised. That was the reaction of many on Tuesday night, with over and over folks now standing next to it saying, I didn’t like “this,” others saying I didn’t like “that” before tonight, yet then saying things like “it integrates really well,” “it all fits together nicely,” and similar.

Most of those comments were about how the big wing is a lot smaller in person that the previous pictures showed.

Folks may still not like it after seeing it in person, but many will positively change their minds after doing so.

Last edited by elegant; 12-01-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:24 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I totally disagree with the OP....and that's OK. That means less people to compete with versus those who want the ZR1.

Love the big wing. Love the nose. Love everything about the ZR1........for what it's worth.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I don't think it is ricey. Rice is applying fake racing stuff to cars that don't need any racing stuff. The ZR1 can make use of the wings to get around corners better while the ricers low powered cars with a the fart can exhaust and extreme negative cambered wheels with tires rubbing the fenders are the embodiment of rice. Make a lot of noise go ripping through traffic trying to prove their cars are fast when they aren't.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Kent1999 (12-04-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Hillbilly65
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't think it is ricey. Rice is applying fake racing stuff to cars that don't need any racing stuff. The ZR1 can make use of the wings to get around corners better while the ricers low powered cars with a the fart can exhaust and extreme negative cambered wheels with tires rubbing the fenders are the embodiment of rice. Make a lot of noise go ripping through traffic trying to prove their cars are fast when they aren't.

Bill
I totally agree.
ZR1 is badass wings and all.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:34 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I totally disagree with the OP....and that's OK. That means less people to compete with versus those who want the ZR1.

Love the big wing. Love the nose. Love everything about the ZR1........for what it's worth.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:46 PM
randyn
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

ZR1 can never be Ricey...

It drives the correct wheels, has more than four cylinders, oh and has more than 150 HP...LOL

Pack a lunch pal...Nothing wrong with bling when you have power to back it up..and 700 plus HP seems just about right.

I wonder if they thought the 426 Superbird was "Ricey".

That was a wing and nose too...
Old 12-02-2017, 01:09 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I don't think the ZR1 is "ricey" even with the high wing rear spoiler. With that said, I would much prefer the low wing for both looks and the 212 MPH top speed capability.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:06 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I think the ricer stigma will always be there. But who cares.
We all know it is a fuctional aero piece.
Everybody knows the big wings on the backs of Dodge Neons and Subarus are not.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:57 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

I'm with the OP. It's just way too "Fast and Furious" looking for me. It's overly busy with too much going on from the high wing to the snowplow front splitter. I really like the taller hood and the revised front end will probably grow on me too, but overall I feel it's a little bit of a Frankenstein design that just doesn't flow very well. Can't argue that it's a beast, though, and I look forward to seeing videos when members get them out on the track.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

I definitely have aesthetic reservations and why I need to see it in person.

First are the prominent features in the front.

I think the openings are a little unsightly. I assume their purpose is to move the huge volumes of air needed to provide the sufficient cooling it's going to require and hopefully keep it from overheating during track use.

I am not really a fan of the way the splitter looks either. For me always function over form but I really like both the best.

This popped up on my Facebook page today and I am not liking the appearance of this front end very much.

2nd is the Wing. I appreciate wings that are designed specifically to add more downforce efficiently and effectively allowing a car to go faster through high speed corners. If I had a wish it would be that they had used this wing.

Instead of this wing.

Maybe in person I can live with these features on the ZR1 but I do like the mouth opening and wing of the C7R better.
snow (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 07:30 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I certainly like the look of a traditional wing over the bat wing myself and the car does look a bit busy. However since it will likely be able to back up its looks I'm good with it and I'm appreciative that Chevy did this for those of us who want to track these cars.
snow (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 07:48 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

The front of this car is bad ***, looks aggressive and being able to see the inter coolers is a nice touch. The hood just pops...

The wing is OK but I would rather have seen something closer to the GTLM car, the bat wing just dose not do it for me. Its the shape not the wing its self, this bad boy can pull it off.

For me I would wait till the C8 comes out before jumping to any new corvette, the ZR1 is a huge investment and what about if the C8 is truly bad ***? what then?
Old 12-05-2017, 10:26 AM
yz250fPilot
Pro

Received 581 Likes on 251 Posts

Not a big fan of the new nose as it's almost as distracting as the Camaro nose now - not a good thing.

I understand why the nose is modified, but that gets to the root of why I wish the ZR1 was NA. And the ONLY reason why I wish it were NA is because IMO, a track car should be NA.

Last edited by yz250fPilot; 12-05-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:48 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

To be clear, no one ever called the ACR E "ricey", and that had the mother of all OEM aero. What flirts with "ricey" on the ZR1 is the design and underwhelming size of the wing. It's what I've described as this reluctant effort at aero. It's like they put their toes in the water but were afraid to commit. In addition, the wing takes on this edgy anime' appearance and is too small for the car. When you see guys go on ebay and buy a cheap wing, then stick it on their car...it's like a design clash occurs that instantly screams ricer. This kinda does that...I won't lie.

Believe me...this should've been the dream Corvette I've waited all my life for. The recipe in America is prime for the ultimate Corvette to be built. I just think this car is mixed up...in terms of design and in some ways overall approach.

When I think of "focused enthusiast track car"...convertible with a wing and an automatic just don't come to mind. Functional or not, let's be real...it's flirting with a strange line. This is the reality of GM needing to put multiple "asses" in one seat and making them all potentially happy.

This explains the ZR1, to a tee: When you want to build a focused track car, but your bread and and butter buyers are over 65...this is what you have to build to be sure it'll sell and not bite your company in the *** (ala ACR). I don't disrespect GM for doing it...I applaud the effort but...yeah...I'm disappointed...highly. The ZL1 1LE speaks to me a lot more...it's design is more balanced, and it feels like it commits a lot more to what it's doing...even though it has to use a common platform. For me, the GrandSport is really the best C7 has put forward, in terms of a purist/enthusiast car.

Legacy: In my opinion, Porsche does one thing that GM seemingly doesn't have the financial resources to do...and that's purposely always nod to the legacy of the platform. Porsche has legacy and legacy sells it's cars. It didn't deviate from one core approach, it continuously refined it, it always committed to racing and it's always focused on building cars for the purists (911T, Clubsport, GT3RS, GT4, 718 GTS, 911R)...the niche following. For that reason, that "purist" pool has grown over the decades to where Porsche became synonymous with this "purist" enthusiast. GM has been racing, factory supported since 1999 and frankly the most "pure" car they've put out since then is the C5Z...it was light, NA, focused on rawness and purity and did it in the midst of the financial complexities GM was shouldering at the time. C6 Z06/ with Z07 was another enthusiast grade purity car...big cube, flirted with the "muscle car" legacy, but got it done in a big way. If you (GM) don't take a chance, with C7 and at least buiild 500 all out track focused, manual gearbox, legacy cars for the purists to drool over...you are just giving away people who want a scalpel...something truly special.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 12-06-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1-My thoughts-FWIW

Quick Reply: ZR1-My thoughts-FWIW