C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 not guaranteed not to overheat

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8ion
They we’re not advertised as THE GREATEST TRACK CAR Ever like the Limpo Z06.
The problem is the Z06 wasn't advertised that way. It was advertised as the most track capable Corvette they had produced. My experience with the car is it is just that. I had an 86 that was a great track car but suffered from very small brakes and overheating of the oil. I had a 97 C5 which was a better track car with better brakes than the 86 but still required better brakes, an oil cooler, a transmission cooler and a diff cooler to be reliable on track. My 03Z performed better than my 97 but still needed larger brakes along with the engine oil cooler, trans cooler and diff cooler. The 08Z performed even better and only required a brake upgrade. My 15 Z pretty much has everything, it performs better than the previous cars, it handles better and the only thing I added was the GMPP Secondary Radiator which was a minimal cost (and based on my recorded track temperatures I probably could have gotten away without adding. The Ceramic brakes were great but replacement pad and rotor costs were way too high so I went to the AP Racing kits to reduce consumable cost.

So as far as my experience goes the car been everything GM said it would be. It was the most track capable Corvette produced by GM up to that time. Whether the GS is more track capable I don't know since I haven't driven one.

When complaining about what somebody says you need to make sure you are complaining about what they actually said Vs what you think they said as the two things are often completely different. The Z06 was never advertised as the greatest track car ever.

Bill
The following 7 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
3 Z06ZR1 (12-09-2017), CPhelps (12-07-2017), G fix needy (12-07-2017), jvp (12-07-2017), Kappa (12-09-2017), SouthernSon (09-15-2018), Telepierre (12-07-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-06-2017, 12:43 PM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The problem is the Z06 wasn't advertised that way. It was advertised as the most track capable Corvette they had produced. My experience with the car is it is just that. I had an 86 that was a great track car but suffered from very small brakes and overheating of the oil. I had a 97 C5 which was a better track car with better brakes than the 86 but still required better brakes, an oil cooler, a transmission cooler and a diff cooler to be reliable on track. My 03Z performed better than my 97 but still needed larger brakes along with the engine oil cooler, trans cooler and diff cooler. The 08Z performed even better and only required a brake upgrade. My 15 Z pretty much has everything, it performs better than the previous cars, it handles better and the only thing I added was the GMPP Secondary Radiator which was a minimal cost (and based on my recorded track temperatures I probably could have gotten away without adding. The Ceramic brakes were great but replacement pad and rotor costs were way too high so I went to the AP Racing kits to reduce consumable cost.

So as far as my experience goes the car been everything GM said it would be. It was the most track capable Corvette produced by GM up to that time. Whether the GS is more track capable I don't know since I haven't driven one.

When complaining about what somebody says you need to make sure you are complaining about what they actually said Vs what you think they said as the two things are often completely different. The Z06 was never advertised as the greatest track car ever.

Bill
You can you use what ever verbage you want.They advertised it ALONG SIDE of the AMLS Race car in all their ad's.There are thousands of people that were duped/mislead that this car was capable of going more than 2 laps before limp mode.Sugar coat it all you want.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:52 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

You can you use what ever verbage you want.They advertised it ALONG SIDE of the AMLS Race car in all their ad's.There are thousands of people that were duped/mislead that this car was capable of going more than 2 laps before limp mode.Sugar coat it all you want.
You say these things but I can show you videos of the car running through a full tank of gas without overheating or running full 30 minute sessions with temps in the mid 90s without issues. I can show you the car passing all kinds of exotics and even purpose built race cars but you still just repeat the same garbage over and over again in every thread.

When I post to this forum I try to provide information and facts to share that knowledge with my fellow enthusiasts. I'm here to learn and to help others learn. I really don't understand folks such as yourself who add no value to the reader and just fill the forum with a bunch of noise to sift through.
The following 11 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
CliffB-99 (12-09-2017), CPhelps (12-07-2017), G fix needy (12-07-2017), jvp (12-07-2017), Kaged (12-09-2017), Kappa (12-09-2017), Lavender (12-06-2017), OnPoint (12-07-2017), Racingswh (12-07-2017), rikhek (12-09-2017), Telepierre (12-07-2017) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:00 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default True, You were a probable Valve Guide guy! ;)

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
You say these things but I can show you videos of the car running through a full tank of gas without overheating or running full 30 minute sessions with temps in the mid 90s without issues. I can show you the car passing all kinds of exotics and even purpose built race cars but you still just repeat the same garbage over and over again in every thread.

When I post to this forum I try to provide information and facts to share that knowledge with my fellow enthusiasts. I'm here to learn and to help others learn. I really don't understand folks such as yourself who add no value to the reader and just fill the forum with a bunch of noise to sift through.
And a Notorious one I must say! You Junked some Wheels too, am I right!?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-06-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:26 AM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
Default Z06 over heating

LET'S just say SOME of the Z06s overheat. Some guys obviously enough to sue GM have cars that OVERHEAT

SOME DON'T OVERHEAT. With the CORVETTE that's typical. THEY all don't do everything the SAME.

NOT ALL '15s SHUDDER at 6000-8000 miles at 50-80 MPH........SOME DO MINE DID
Old 12-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
LET'S just say SOME of the Z06s overheat. Some guys obviously enough to sue GM have cars that OVERHEAT

SOME DON'T OVERHEAT. With the CORVETTE that's typical. THEY all don't do everything the SAME.

NOT ALL '15s SHUDDER at 6000-8000 miles at 50-80 MPH........SOME DO MINE DID
Sorry about that but speaking of the lawsuit...

I have been looking all over the florida court cases search engine to find the "famous" class action lawsuit allegedly filed this summer but could not find anything.. can you help in this regard?

Last edited by Telepierre; 12-07-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:47 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Perhaps some interesting questions that really could help!?

Originally Posted by Poor-sha

Did your hot intercooling coolant pressure expansion introduce air and need regular, or some, bleeding?
And if it didn't does it make sense that hotter southern climates could at least incrementally do so to the point that GM would have been encouraged to alter things!?

Let me answer for you!

Add the extra radiator!? Power steering, octane...

(Tadge's Aero!?

ZO7: 380 lbs
ZR1: 950 lbs

ZR: ~201 MPH; big wing top speed
~11=ZR1(.01)(212); (198)ZO
ZR=5.189%
ZO=5.556%

But, does the base ZO6 have less drag than the base ZR1? Say you could use the LT5 to power the ZO6, and it had a 214 MPH Top. That net aero drag would then be 6.075%. This kind of contradicts Tadges assertion that the ZR1 has (Relatively!?) less drag the than the ZO7!?
Tadge originally said opening up the ZO7 for cooling would add aero drag!?

ZO7: .37
SRT Viper: .37
ACR Viper: .54

)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-08-2017 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:07 PM
SpaceCadet
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure the ZR1 cooling is improved, but is the oil cooler still next to the catalytic converter?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet
I'm sure the ZR1 cooling is improved, but is the oil cooler still next to the catalytic converter?
Moving that oil cooler would seem to be a foregone conclusion. While I'm sure there are packaging issues with every powertrain, I fail to believe that GM couldn't have placed that brick in a far better spot.
Like SRT did with virtually the same oil cooler on my ACR.
S.
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Telepierre

I have been looking all over the florida court cases search engine to find the "famous" class action lawsuit allegedly filed this summer but could not find anything.. can you help in this regard?
Lawsuit was filed in CORAL GABLES in June

FILED IN CORAL GABLES..June 13, 2017

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-12-2017 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner to make your responses look like this!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:47 PM
Phoenix64
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

The title of this thread should be "ZR1 guaranteed to overheat".

From a GM engineer on the ZR1 - "The 7-speed is more durable for track work"

Any car can be overheated and the A8 will cook before the M7, just like the Z06.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:18 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Not!

Originally Posted by Phoenix64
The title of this thread should be "ZR1 guaranteed to overheat".

From a GM engineer on the ZR1 - "The 7-speed is more durable for track work"

Any car can be overheated and the A8 will cook before the M7, just like the Z06.
Both versions Now share auxillary cooling! That of course wasn't possible with the ZO6! The A8 will work harder for various reasons, but, it will net more speed. Add the Big Wing and there is your Hot Rod-lap version!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-09-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:35 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Moving that oil cooler would seem to be a foregone conclusion. While I'm sure there are packaging issues with every powertrain, I fail to believe that GM couldn't have placed that brick in a far better spot.
Like SRT did with virtually the same oil cooler on my ACR.
S.
Removing the stock cereal box size cats that hang off the exhaust manifolds
infavor of the AR Header 2inch Jethot coated is really one the best mods!
35 rwhp with tune supported by the Halltech of course.

Removes 40 pounds of weight and the best part! A **** ton of underhood heat is gone thus the car runs cooler and cools faster.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:54 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

^^^^Gross Polluter/ freeway Derelict!
Old 12-09-2017, 03:39 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

FILED IN CORAL GABLES..June 13, 2017
Yes. The case was filed for dismissal yesterday...
Old 12-09-2017, 12:31 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

If Poor-Sha's videos aren't enough to convince you you're wrong I have LOTS of video available showing the car running great and fast for 30+ minute sessions in the Oklahoma heat. Last lap of sessions just as fast as the first.

The M7 cars do pretty damn good. Now that I think about it, I'm on my second M7 C7Z and spend a lot of time at the track with other fast cars driven by capable drivers and have never been passed. Matter of fact as Sean points out the C7Z is faster than the majority of purpose built race cars I encounter.

The garbage you keep spewing is inaccurate and offers nothing beneficial to the forum...

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 12-09-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Yes. The case was filed for dismissal yesterday...
GMs lawyers filed for dismissal. The court didn't dismiss the suit

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 not guaranteed not to overheat

Old 12-10-2017, 09:36 PM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

Well for all the Garbage I’m Spewing it seems the courts Agree with meeeeeee.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:01 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Lots of stuff spieled! ;)

Well for all the Garbage I’m Spewing it seems the courts Agree with meeeeeee.
There's not been any first year late model problems with Corvette's!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-10-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:04 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes.. learning more about this as we go along.
GM filed for dismissal on 28 Nov and one of the plaintiff's filed for dismissal on December 8.

Apparently now up to judge to decide dismissal or go forward..

Quick Reply: ZR1 not guaranteed not to overheat