C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Carbon Flash - New Wheel Option for ZR1 Only

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:42 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

I'm sick of round wheels. They've been doing this since the cave man. Come on GM.
The following users liked this post:
z edge (02-25-2018)
Old 12-04-2017, 02:17 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
Not trying to pick a fight, but I don't see how those wheels could possibly look any better in person. They are a completely underwhelming design, almost identical to what was on a mid-80s Testarossa. The standard Z06 and Grand Sport wheels are light years better looking IMHO.

They are awful, look at the finish around the lug holes seems they have dirt and a hair in the paint. Those are the worst looking Corvette wheels ever put on a modern Corvette!
Old 12-04-2017, 03:14 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Dude that makes no sense carbon fiber or carbon flash? GT350R has what?
Carbon fiber wheels are very high how would that hold the cost down?
I don't know what you're getting at here, I said I wonder if they're not using them because they want to keep the costs down.

https://jalopnik.com/the-shelby-gt35...use-1717009943

The 2016 Ford Mustang GT350R is the first proper production car to come standard with carbon fiber wheels, and the front pair uses the same ceramic plasma arc spray-on heat protection what NASA put on the original Space Shuttle’s main fuel pump turbine blades. That should do it!

Carbon fiber wheels are something else. They work brilliantly on the world’s most powerful electric bike (which I tried out and found amazing), and of course Christian von Koenigsegg came up with a way to make them weigh just 13 pounds each.

K-Segg’s wheels are hollow and hold up pretty well at crazy speeds, but a set of Aircores will set you back by more than what an average family sedan costs. To be exact, 60,000 Euros without taxes but with the Michelins included.

While BMW is toying with the idea of affordable carbon fiber wheels, Ford acted faster by teaming up with the experts at Carbon Revolution to create something that can be mass produced at an affordable price, but also take the abuse on track.

To turn them into OEM products, the wheels had deal sufficiently with curb strikes, UV and chemical exposure and extreme heat. Ford claims despite what people think, hitting a curb with these babies won’t be an issue:

One of the most severe tests for wheels in the Ford development process involves striking a curb at speed – a test that, without proper design, can cause serious wheel and tire damage. Because of the light weight, advanced construction methods and resins in the wheels, along with the highly-developed MagneRide dampers, the suspension was able to react so fast that the driver wasn’t sure the test had been carried out correctly and ran it twice to be sure. The suspension response was fast enough to greatly diminished the severity of the impact – that’s the power of minimizing unsprung weight.

The Shelby GT350R’s brakes also create rotor temperatures in excess of 1,650 degrees Fahrenheit (900 degrees Celsius), but Carbon Revolution’s thermal barrier coating system takes care of that as well using a multistage, multimaterial coating formulation. They use a plasma arc gun to liquefy a ceramic material, and then the wheels are coated at critical points around the inner wheel “barrel” and on the back of the spokes.

The result is a thin, “nearly diamond-hard coating” that allows continuous track use “by even the most aggressive drivers.”

That’s not the end of it though, because they also had to come up with new precesses to create a smooth finish despite the additional UV and chemical protection. High-gloss black is what you get.

The complete build process goes like this:

Manufacturing carbon fiber wheels begins with the creation of the preformed internal carbon structure, composed of precisely manufactured carbon strands arrayed into woven fabrics. The elements are then placed into a mold using state of the art manufacturing techniques.

An RFID chip with a unique tracking number is embedded in this structure, and each wheel is individually entered into a quality assurance system. Once this structure is assembled, it’s infused with resin and cured at high temperatures.

This process results in a one-piece wheel that ensures maximum strength – eliminating the need to bond or glue the wheel’s spokes and barrel components together.

As the wheel cures, 61 individual checks and more than 246,000 data points are logged before it’s released from the machine. To guarantee quality parts, the cured wheels are analyzed using a 3D computerized tomography (CT) imaging process in which more than 18,000 X-ray images are taken. If the wheel passes inspection, it undergoes machining for the valve stem and mounting hardware holes before it gets painted, coated, assembled, dimensionally checked and shipped to Flat Rock Assembly Plant for installation on a new Shelby GT350R Mustang.
The resulting wheels weigh 18 pounds instead of 33 like an alloy. That’s a pretty significant reduction in unsprung weight and rotational inertia.

Ford says they lost 60 pounds while making the wheels stiffer as well, so they believe “this is a game changer for the industry.” Well, it sure looks like it!
Old 12-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Dave_the_Dude
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I can't stand split-spoke wheel designs. Looks tacky and a pain in the rear to clean.

IMHO, it's really hard to beat that classic Cragar look. Of course, I've never cared about wheels and don't understand the obsession with them at all. I just want some strong, lightweight wheels that are easy to clean, and I'm good.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:47 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by themonk
I don't know what you're getting at here, I said I wonder if they're not using them because they want to keep the costs down.

https://jalopnik.com/the-shelby-gt35...use-1717009943

The 2016 Ford Mustang GT350R is the first proper production car to come standard with carbon fiber wheels, and the front pair uses the same ceramic plasma arc spray-on heat protection what NASA put on the original Space Shuttle’s main fuel pump turbine blades. That should do it!

Carbon fiber wheels are something else. They work brilliantly on the world’s most powerful electric bike (which I tried out and found amazing), and of course Christian von Koenigsegg came up with a way to make them weigh just 13 pounds each.

K-Segg’s wheels are hollow and hold up pretty well at crazy speeds, but a set of Aircores will set you back by more than what an average family sedan costs. To be exact, 60,000 Euros without taxes but with the Michelins included.

While BMW is toying with the idea of affordable carbon fiber wheels, Ford acted faster by teaming up with the experts at Carbon Revolution to create something that can be mass produced at an affordable price, but also take the abuse on track.

To turn them into OEM products, the wheels had deal sufficiently with curb strikes, UV and chemical exposure and extreme heat. Ford claims despite what people think, hitting a curb with these babies won’t be an issue:

One of the most severe tests for wheels in the Ford development process involves striking a curb at speed – a test that, without proper design, can cause serious wheel and tire damage. Because of the light weight, advanced construction methods and resins in the wheels, along with the highly-developed MagneRide dampers, the suspension was able to react so fast that the driver wasn’t sure the test had been carried out correctly and ran it twice to be sure. The suspension response was fast enough to greatly diminished the severity of the impact – that’s the power of minimizing unsprung weight.

The Shelby GT350R’s brakes also create rotor temperatures in excess of 1,650 degrees Fahrenheit (900 degrees Celsius), but Carbon Revolution’s thermal barrier coating system takes care of that as well using a multistage, multimaterial coating formulation. They use a plasma arc gun to liquefy a ceramic material, and then the wheels are coated at critical points around the inner wheel “barrel” and on the back of the spokes.

The result is a thin, “nearly diamond-hard coating” that allows continuous track use “by even the most aggressive drivers.”

That’s not the end of it though, because they also had to come up with new precesses to create a smooth finish despite the additional UV and chemical protection. High-gloss black is what you get.

The complete build process goes like this:

Manufacturing carbon fiber wheels begins with the creation of the preformed internal carbon structure, composed of precisely manufactured carbon strands arrayed into woven fabrics. The elements are then placed into a mold using state of the art manufacturing techniques.

An RFID chip with a unique tracking number is embedded in this structure, and each wheel is individually entered into a quality assurance system. Once this structure is assembled, it’s infused with resin and cured at high temperatures.

This process results in a one-piece wheel that ensures maximum strength – eliminating the need to bond or glue the wheel’s spokes and barrel components together.

As the wheel cures, 61 individual checks and more than 246,000 data points are logged before it’s released from the machine. To guarantee quality parts, the cured wheels are analyzed using a 3D computerized tomography (CT) imaging process in which more than 18,000 X-ray images are taken. If the wheel passes inspection, it undergoes machining for the valve stem and mounting hardware holes before it gets painted, coated, assembled, dimensionally checked and shipped to Flat Rock Assembly Plant for installation on a new Shelby GT350R Mustang.
The resulting wheels weigh 18 pounds instead of 33 like an alloy. That’s a pretty significant reduction in unsprung weight and rotational inertia.

Ford says they lost 60 pounds while making the wheels stiffer as well, so they believe “this is a game changer for the industry.” Well, it sure looks like it!
Well "I wonder why if they are not using carbon fiber wheels to keep the costs down?" Is most certainly a VERY silly question at best.

Could have saved all that no one is arguing that carbon fiber is not lighter and better for performance.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:24 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

Well "I wonder why if they are not using carbon fiber wheels to keep the costs down?" Is most certainly a VERY silly question at best.

Could have saved all that no one is arguing that carbon fiber is not lighter and better for performance.
dude, what are you on?

1) Why is "why are they not using a CF wheel" a silly question?
2) Who the f'k is arguing?
3) You're making more out of this than any sane person should.

Last edited by themonk; 12-04-2017 at 05:24 PM.
NortonCO (10-17-2019)
Old 12-04-2017, 06:20 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by themonk
dude, what are you on?

1) Why is "why are they not using a CF wheel" a silly question?
2) Who the f'k is arguing?
3) You're making more out of this than any sane person should.
1. To finish you left out the "because they want to keep the costs down" it was a good oxymoron all in one sentence ! That was my only point!
Old 12-04-2017, 06:25 PM
themonk
Team Owner

1. To finish you left out the "because they want to keep the costs down" it was a good oxymoron all in one sentence ! That was my only point!
except I didn't say "to keep the costs down why didn't they use CF wheels?", I wondered if the reason why they didn't use CF wheels was because they wanted to keep the costs down.

RIF so is comprehension man.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:48 PM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Does anyone have a picture of the Satin Graphite painted rims?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:28 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

c5c6c7 (02-24-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 02:08 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

The wheels will have to be kept super-clean in order for anyone to notice the carbon flash, otherwise brake dust will completely hide it.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:01 AM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by tws
Is this going to be the only wheel design? I know I'm being petty but this wheel looks HORRIBLE. When was this design on a Ferrari? 1980's

fixed
Old 02-25-2018, 07:07 AM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Has anyone seen the polished Aluminum?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:54 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Any of you voicing your dislike have seen them in person or better yet are buying a ZR1 ? Don't like the wheels, don't buy it or change them after. They look much better in person.
I'd prefer to see more carbon flash trim options vs all the carbon fiber.

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 02-25-2018 at 02:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
NortonCO (10-17-2019), Nyvetteguy007 (10-21-2018), Repo Pilot (10-24-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 12:57 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

I’ll pass...I don’t like glitter on my rims. Graphite is the way to go in my opinion

Last edited by Paulchristian; 02-25-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:01 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
The wheels will have to be kept super-clean in order for anyone to notice the carbon flash, otherwise brake dust will completely hide it.
CC's don't develop brake dust unless you are intentionally trying to kill your pads. Literally 300 miles and they will pass a white glove test. A nice perk.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:51 PM
D'ZR1 Messiah
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
CC's don't develop brake dust unless you are intentionally trying to kill your pads. Literally 300 miles and they will pass a white glove test. A nice perk.
I was thinking this as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Flash - New Wheel Option for ZR1 Only

Old 02-26-2018, 08:23 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Makes me wish I had CCs...
Old 10-20-2018, 01:58 AM
Donzo6
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

CCs ??
Old 10-20-2018, 05:05 AM
D'ZR1 Messiah
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzo6
CCs ??
Carbon Ceramic

Quick Reply: Carbon Flash - New Wheel Option for ZR1 Only