C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1: A superhero, yes...a legend, no. ZR1=Identity Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 08:29 PM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

OP, I enjoy reading your posts on the zr1; passionate, knowledgeable, and articulate.
That's not to say that I entirely agree with you -- the GS is the last c7 I'd buy, for example. But I totally get where you are coming from.
However, allow me to play devil's advocate. What if the zr1 ends up being faster (say, around the 'ring) than the "legacy" cars you refer to? You don't have to buy it with a ragtop and auto; you can buy a coupe with an m7. Would you not be satisfied? Or is it the case that -- even if it is the fastest production car around -- the fact that it could have been faster makes it a disappointment? (Every car could have been faster, of course.)
Because here's the thing: GM appears to have built an amazing car that might very well kick virtually every car's *** on the track AND you can get a vert with an auto trans and drive it to work if you want to -- for ~120k. Are you not going to buy the fastest car around because vert is an option and the wing could have been bigger? There's a sense in which the c7, generally, and the zr1, in particular, are giving us the best of both worlds -- and that's an amazing accomplishment. I think that you are focusing too much on what the zr1 is not, rather than on what it is. That seems to be the corvette curse, however.
The following users liked this post:
5abivt (12-07-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by JG853
Sean -

What is the difference in downforce between your ACR Extreme and the big aero from the ZR1?
I think there is about a 600# delta. But those are at ~150 mph speeds, which we seldom see or where DF isn't really an issue. As I recall the ACR-E is around 1500#. I don't need big DF on the back straight at Sebring or at Daytona.
I'm curious what the mid-speed numbers are...around 80-120 mph.
S.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:33 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Again with setting your expectations: there won't be a Z06X built and sold through Chevrolet dealers. Certainly not during the C7 run. Tadge addressed this during a dinner in Monterey this past summer the night before the Leguna Seca race (I was at the dinner). Someone asked him specifically about a car that could be the "GT3RS of Corvettes" and he basically said: no one would actually buy it. Everyone talks about it, but no one would actually sign on the dotted line to buy it.
History indicates that the ("I DEMAND a stripped-down, hard-core, track-focused car for REAL DRIVERS like me")/(actual buyers) ratio is at least 30,000:1. Dodge whoops SRT whoops Dodge fell for it with the Viper, fixed-roof only, no convertible, because they had to placate the "real drivers" first. Keyboard Kommandos everywhere howled in delight, applauded fervently, and stayed away in droves.

Had Viper been convertible, I'd have somehow afforded one and would be driving it now. Instead, Chevy sensibly gave real customers real choices, so my Z06 Convertible (the mere existence of which somehow "devalues" the coupe, by voodoo or something, I've never figured this one out) has been offending track snobs for 51,000 miles of daily driving. Everybody else loves it. The exhaust bark by itself is worth the entire payment. I've gotten hundreds of compliments and offers to trade cars, with never a mention of "orange peel" or "heat soak" or any of the other pseudo-problems that people here worry themselves sick about.

The only possible replacement would be a ZR1 convertible, but that's out of the question at sticker price. When discounts hit, I'll be so happy to infuriate the "track-focused" crew some more with an even louder obnoxious exhaust that I can actually hear with the roof down.

Last edited by HolyRoller; 12-06-2017 at 09:35 PM.
ZoratZ06 (12-14-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:49 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
History indicates that the ("I DEMAND a stripped-down, hard-core, track-focused car for REAL DRIVERS like me")/(actual buyers) ratio is at least 30,000:1. Dodge whoops SRT whoops Dodge fell for it with the Viper, fixed-roof only, no convertible, because they had to placate the "real drivers" first. Keyboard Kommandos everywhere howled in delight, applauded fervently, and stayed away in droves.

Had Viper been convertible, I'd have somehow afforded one and would be driving it now. Instead, Chevy sensibly gave real customers real choices, so my Z06 Convertible (the mere existence of which somehow "devalues" the coupe, by voodoo or something, I've never figured this one out) has been offending track snobs for 51,000 miles of daily driving. Everybody else loves it. The exhaust bark by itself is worth the entire payment. I've gotten hundreds of compliments and offers to trade cars, with never a mention of "orange peel" or "heat soak" or any of the other pseudo-problems that people here worry themselves sick about.

The only possible replacement would be a ZR1 convertible, but that's out of the question at sticker price. When discounts hit, I'll be so happy to infuriate the "track-focused" crew some more with an even louder obnoxious exhaust that I can actually hear with the roof down.
This...times 10.
Great post, and it very much captures why Viper failed and why GM will carefully contemplate how they offer C7 variants.
The Viper is a great car. The ACR even better. For a very, very small slice of enthusiasts. And that slice wasn't big enough to keep the car alive.
S.
ZoratZ06 (12-14-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 03:50 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Indeed, you have the right to disagree, but not in a fashion that implies I am unwelcome, that's for damn sure. I've got more skin in the Corvette game than many, and I don't mean just by writing checks for cars, I mean creating events, attending shows, talking with engineers, attending races, donating to the museum, leading new buyers, developing new to market parts for the platform (currently as we speak), etc.

I don't have to like the ZR1. I like what marketing value it has. I like what perception it will bring to the youth sector and what potential "dreamcar" status it could instill in kids to become future Corvette buyers. I don't have to BUY it, nor do I have to aesthetically like it...but I can tell you this much, I'll be here when your gone mostlikely, and I dont' even need to know you to be pretty confident of that.
What skin? Do you even have a Corvette?
I see 6 months ago you were looking at a GS?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:34 AM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 301 Likes on 138 Posts

I tend to agree with the OP - the ZR1 introduction left me a bit underwhelmed. This is a car that appears to have been created primarily to fix the design deficiencies (cooling, track-ability) of the Z06. Yes it will set a new benchmark for corvette performance, but there is nothing inspiring about the engineering - it's just a Z06 on more steroids. I have yet to see it in person, but it looks too busy from a styling perspective. The Z06 was on the precipice of this and with the new front end and spoiler, the design language and styling of this car is muddled.

It would have been great if GM had instead introduced a mid-model refresh of the Z06 using some of the cooling and aero changes of the ZR1 (a bit more subdued) and created something a bit more unique and divergent in the ZR1. My wish list - active aero instead of a giant fixed wing, more extensive use of composites (CF rims, additional CF body panels) and low mass metals (e.g. Titanium exhaust), and a DOHC motor. They could have created a lower mass car that would be even more enjoyable to drive and possibly just as fast on the track as the supercharged LT5 (lower mass = lower HP needed for same power:weight).

I get that some are very enamored with this car due to the HP superiority and status as the new king of the hill. That's fine and I'm sure the car will be a blast to drive. However adding more HP does not always make for a more enjoyable driving experience - drive a 1st gen NSX or F355. Both are subjectively more satisfying to drive than a current Z06 in many ways and yet they would get smoked by the Z06 in any quantitative metrics of performance.
KnightDriveTV (12-12-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 07:55 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 783 Likes on 456 Posts

Thanks Sean -

I am ordering the Big Aero and I thought the delta was a bit less, but that is significant.

Originally Posted by Snorman
I think there is about a 600# delta. But those are at ~150 mph speeds, which we seldom see or where DF isn't really an issue. As I recall the ACR-E is around 1500#. I don't need big DF on the back straight at Sebring or at Daytona.
I'm curious what the mid-speed numbers are...around 80-120 mph.
S.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:02 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

He sounds like a respectable member of the forum, unlike yourself.
Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
What skin? Do you even have a Corvette?
I see 6 months ago you were looking at a GS?
KnightDriveTV (12-12-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 08:04 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by bob53
I tend to agree with the OP - the ZR1 introduction left me a bit underwhelmed. This is a car that appears to have been created primarily to fix the design deficiencies (cooling, track-ability) of the Z06. Yes it will set a new benchmark for corvette performance, but there is nothing inspiring about the engineering - it's just a Z06 on more steroids. I have yet to see it in person, but it looks too busy from a styling perspective. The Z06 was on the precipice of this and with the new front end and spoiler, the design language and styling of this car is muddled.

It would have been great if GM had instead introduced a mid-model refresh of the Z06 using some of the cooling and aero changes of the ZR1 (a bit more subdued) and created something a bit more unique and divergent in the ZR1. My wish list - active aero instead of a giant fixed wing, more extensive use of composites (CF rims, additional CF body panels) and low mass metals (e.g. Titanium exhaust), and a DOHC motor. They could have created a lower mass car that would be even more enjoyable to drive and possibly just as fast on the track as the supercharged LT5 (lower mass = lower HP needed for same power:weight).

I get that some are very enamored with this car due to the HP superiority and status as the new king of the hill. That's fine and I'm sure the car will be a blast to drive. However adding more HP does not always make for a more enjoyable driving experience - drive a 1st gen NSX or F355. Both are subjectively more satisfying to drive than a current Z06 in many ways and yet they would get smoked by the Z06 in any quantitative metrics of performance.

You and the O.P. are "underwhelmed" by the C7 ZR1? Really? What new offering are you then overwhelmed with at anywhere close to the ZR1's price?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:55 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

I understand where the OP is coming from, but this isn’t the Porsche “ crowd” that will pay TWICE as much for a comparable corvette. Yes there are some vette junkies who also own Porsches and might spring for a very limited edition ZR1 RS, but it’s not worth the gamble. I mean just look at the tons of super cheapskates on here hypermiling their Stingray or who agonize on running off to Sam’s club for a sale on motor oil, before god forbid they might have to pay a dealer for the retail price of oil. You think one of those el cheapos would EVER pony up for a special edition anything corvette ? Of course not. Heck Tadge said he was worried if enough of those that can afford a new ZR1 ( that many have been pushing hard for) will actually open their wallet for the upgrade over the Z06.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by musclecar6
I understand where the OP is coming from, but this isn’t the Porsche “ crowd” that will pay TWICE as much for a comparable corvette. Yes there are some vette junkies who also own Porsches and might spring for a very limited edition ZR1 RS, but it’s not worth the gamble. I mean just look at the tons of super cheapskates on here hypermiling their Stingray or who agonize on running off to Sam’s club for a sale on motor oil, before god forbid they might have to pay a dealer for the retail price of oil. You think one of those el cheapos would EVER pony up for a special edition anything corvette ? Of course not. Heck Tadge said he was worried if enough of those that can afford a new ZR1 ( that many have been pushing hard for) will actually open their wallet for the upgrade over the Z06.
That’s a good point but this car was never going to appeal to that market segment. I for one would be more likely to open my wallet if there was more engineering innovation and I’m a dyed in the wool corvette guy. GM should have been looking to expand it’s market with the ZR1 by attracting more of the Porsche owner market instead of potentially cannibalizing the Z06 market.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:54 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

That’s a good point but this car was never going to appeal to that market segment. I for one would be more likely to open my wallet if there was more engineering innovation and I’m a dyed in the wool corvette guy. GM should have been looking to expand it’s market with the ZR1 by attracting more of the Porsche owner market instead of potentially cannibalizing the Z06 market.
I’m a dyed in the wool vette junkie ( on my ninth vette) and had a new 996TT for 5 years while owning a 2006 C6 LPE maggie supercharged at the same time. Trying to reel in Porsche buyers for a “ Blue Collar” vette is a tough nut to crack. One of the big draws ( if not the biggest draw for many ) for owning a Porsche, is to run around putting one’s nose in the air.
A vette doesn’t allow them to do that ( in their mind). All around car enthusiasts like all brands and can see the huge value in corvettes. Porsche snobs are convinced all vettes give off a bad smell. Their loss.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:56 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

I had a 996TT and now have a 997TT. Also have 1st gen NSX. Extended family has a C1, C2, C4 ZR1, and C6 ZR1. I love cars of all types, especially corvettes. I agree with you on the P-crowd to some extent but I've seen quite a few make the jump from 911 (even some TTs), Cayman, Boxer to C7 or C7Z06.

It's a tall order to create a platform that appeals to "well-healed blue collar" sorts and those who would prefer to be identified as a "well-healed white collar" sort, despite the success of the C7 platform. I understand that. Perhaps I am in the minority but I just wanted to see something less derivative in the new ZR1. I would have paid another ~ 20K over the current MSRP for such a car.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:12 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

I had a 996TT and now have a 997TT. Also have 1st gen NSX. Extended family has a C1, C2, C4 ZR1, and C6 ZR1. I love cars of all types, especially corvettes. I agree with you on the P-crowd to some extent but I've seen quite a few make the jump from 911 (even some TTs), Cayman, Boxer to C7 or C7Z06.

It's a tall order to create a platform that appeals to "well-healed blue collar" sorts and those who would prefer to be identified as a "well-healed white collar" sort, despite the success of the C7 platform. I understand that. Perhaps I am in the minority but I just wanted to see something less derivative in the new ZR1. I would have paid another ~ 20K over the current MSRP for such a car.
Tadge grew up around Porsches ( his old man was a Porsche enthusiast) as did I ( my old man was an all around car guy who owned a 1961 super 90 roadster and a new 1965 356 SC that I got to drive around as well as a 1963 chevy super sport with a 409 engine). I get the Porsche appeal, but as the years have gone by and finally the quantum leap forward of the C7 and double the price for competitive Porsches, the corvette now is something Porsche buyers are taking a second look at. Some will make the move over, but I think Tadge and other GM decision makers were not confident that enough Porsche or Corvette fans would spend even MORE money for a ZR1 RS type product over the ZR1 they just came out with.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:28 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

it would have a true super-car if it had the ''merc DOHC'' engine,and a real show of whats in the future for corvette
Old 12-08-2017, 02:14 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
He sounds like a respectable member of the forum, unlike yourself.
Well he was saying he has more in the skin the game than RICK. Which is not close to true. Plus Guys that are all hat and no cattle get your respect?
maybe it takes on e to know one.
Oh like you add anything to this place. I have been here for years and earned my place. I support the forum bought many cars and tons of parts here. The forum is really here for those people.
Maybe name 1 way you support the forum. Have you EVER bought 1 single car part or a car from a forum vendor?

I try to buy all my Corvette stuff HERE how about YOU? I likely average 3,000 a month here.

Without the MEMBERS buying parts and cars from the vendors supporting them this place would not even be here.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 12-08-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:12 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Oh boy, get the tape measures out.
ZoratZ06 (12-14-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1: A superhero, yes...a legend, no. ZR1=Identity Crisis

Old 12-12-2017, 07:20 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
This...times 10.
Great post, and it very much captures why Viper failed and why GM will carefully contemplate how they offer C7 variants.
The Viper is a great car. The ACR even better. For a very, very small slice of enthusiasts. And that slice wasn't big enough to keep the car alive.
S.
I think this is all apples to oranges with the ACR though. FCA....Dodge...SRT...whoever they are tomorrow...didn't have the buyer base to support such a car, quite correct. Viper really "embraced" the idea that the car was raw, because quite frankly, in it's early iterations it was like...kit car raw. So, if you can't beat'em, join'em and say "it's a drivers car...raw, unrefined, etc".

Corvette has the buyer base to absorb an endeavor similar...to a point. Now again, I don't know the internal numbers, and quite frankly GM could be as fragile as FCA but is playing their cards very carefully...I suspect this is the case.

My point is, as the Viper heads out, in my opinion the one thing that will insure its likely return one day, is ACR. Viper may not have much of a legacy, but it does have this "rep" that has value...with the proper partner (VW group...yikes)...the ACR could return with a vengeance by diving in the parts bin of a serious company. Ferrari could be that company if FCA could find some legs.

I personally did track time in the LFA prototype back in 2010. Car was a pre-production mule and I ran the car at Monticello. That car was a loss project, but Toyota did it as a true HALO and as a legacy builder. People can debate the car itself, but I'm referring to the actual exercise of building it and what it does for a brand.

I believe the GrandSport is a great foot forward for C7...if GM could find a way to sharpen that car a little further, in an affordable manner and simply market it as the "driver car" or a nod to the purists, I think it becomes a safe proposition and an affordable one. Moreover though, I think GM owes it to it's own legacy to have that car. Porsche 911T...great example...basically the specs of a C5Z...not super powerful, but manual box, lightweight...a pure parts bin car with a few twists thrown in.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:39 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

drive a 1st gen NSX or F355. Both are subjectively more satisfying to drive than a current Z06 in many ways and yet they would get smoked by the Z06 in any quantitative metrics of performance.
Very interesting you bring up those two, I've owned both actually. I agree though, both require an "understanding". Especially in todays world where those cars are grossly underpowered and not straightline fast. The NSX, by those who truly understand the car, is second to almost none...it's an icon for so many reasons. That car isn't about numbers, it's about what Honda presented to you in terms of engineering, purity, reliability, ingress/egress, visibility...it was SUCH a good car and inspired Mclaren in many ways. We even see a "Senna" Edition 720 coming and this STILL goes to NSX in some ways.

In America though...they hated the NSX...they all want to drag race...and if they want to track the car, they still want to be able to drag race....hence, ZR1. The hood shaker track car with a droptop.

I can't say I was a huge fan of the 355 chassis, but the engine clearly was a beauty. Through that tubi exhaust . I personally wouldn't own one again though.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:17 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by desmophile
As a Z06 owner that likes to go to the track, I would offer this view.
If you want to make a ZRI, make it the best track car. No convertible, fix any cooling issues vs Z06, strip the interior and upgrade the suspension in any way you could. At the same time develop some solutions for current/future Z06 owners to solve cooling problems, that should have never been a problem for those that track their cars, A8 or M7. Make the ZR1 the equivalent of the Viper, a good track weapon but stupid on the street.
That shouldn't have been much more expensive than what they have done.
I won't spring for the ZR1. I will upgrade my cooling a little, tune my suspension-DSC, and get some 18" Forgelines and run slicks. I don't need efficiency at 180MPH. The small wing on the ZR1 is not going to help me in 60MPH corners.
I will have spent less than trading in.
And if a ZR1 driver ever takes his car to our track here in SLC, we will see who made the better track car choice.
What are your lap times at Miller?

Quick Reply: ZR1: A superhero, yes...a legend, no. ZR1=Identity Crisis