C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1: A superhero, yes...a legend, no. ZR1=Identity Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 07:12 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

GM set out to build a Corvette that could run quicker laps than the ZO6 and stay cool in the process. With the little information we have so far it seems GM has accomplished their goal with the ZR1. Adding 105 HP via a larger supercharger and increased downforce via large rear wing and different front aero was likely the lowest cost way to get it done. Shedding weight from current ZO6 while adding the additional cooling would to achieve ZR1 lap times would likely have cost more had they gone this route. The ZR1 looks and sounds like an American built sledge hammer that appears to get the job done with all the creature comforts to enjoy daily driving.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:58 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

You can build a slower car than a Z06 that will sell for Z06 money...just gotta check the right boxes. The target car is grand sport...sharpen it, focus it. Put the ZR1 front bumper on it, and put a 505hp engine in it. It'll sell for Z06 money in limited run. Call it the Zora Edition Grand Sport and it'll sell out before it even accepts orders. Then the media really gets to pour over what's what in the Corvette lineup and pick winners. I think it can be done. It's not an unreasonable goal, it's a parts bin car, marketed right and you need a motor and some aero. Save money by limiting interior options and colors. Make it a final year car like the C4 Grand Sport was.

The end....shut the thread. We are all just blabbin at this point.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:51 AM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
You can build a slower car than a Z06 that will sell for Z06 money...just gotta check the right boxes. The target car is grand sport...sharpen it, focus it. Put the ZR1 front bumper on it, and put a 505hp engine in it. It'll sell for Z06 money in limited run. Call it the Zora Edition Grand Sport and it'll sell out before it even accepts orders. Then the media really gets to pour over what's what in the Corvette lineup and pick winners. I think it can be done. It's not an unreasonable goal, it's a parts bin car, marketed right and you need a motor and some aero. Save money by limiting interior options and colors. Make it a final year car like the C4 Grand Sport was.

The end....shut the thread. We are all just blabbin at this point.
This is a GM product, not a Porsche. Period. People WON'T line up to buy it. In a fairly direct way, you're basically saying that GM has NO IDEA what their clients want, and thus they haven't (and likely will not) make this car. I disagree and think that GM knows fairly well what sells and what doesn't. It's a mute point, as we'll never know, cause they'll never build it.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:48 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

this is all too much theater.

just take one of those concept car designs and build the damn thing.
offer lambo color options
an awd option
C6 interior dimensions
result, the C8 ME should result in soaring sales

build it and they will come GM!

and by the way GM, if you are going down the porsche road, you'll have to build corvette suv, corvette less expensive version, and sedan.
AND FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE DON'T TRY AND FOIST ANOTHER CADILLAC
SPORTS CAR(wink wink).on the public!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:32 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

The OP started this bullshit thread just to bash the ZR1. The ZR1 is a home run. Period. It’s not a Porsche, thank God, which means it’s cost effective, and parts are cheap, and it does not look like a Volkswagen!
Old 12-15-2017, 11:11 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
The OP started this bullshit thread just to bash the ZR1. The ZR1 is a home run. Period. It’s not a Porsche, thank God, which means it’s cost effective, and parts are cheap, and it does not look like a Volkswagen!
That's Aero Beetle to you sir I didn't see as such a slam on the ZR1 which is going to be a awesome car no doubt, but a lament about what the Corvette line is missing. Think Corvette( Z28 formula ) with a ZR1 aero package IMO. I get it it's niche market and GM doesn't do that. It's going to be something you build yourself if you want it. How did the Z28 sale? I really don't know.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by z06801
How did the Z28 sale? I really don't know.
Sales were crappy.
GM was offering huge discounts on the cars within about 18-months.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/11/...hed-from-msrp/

While that was limited to certain cars, there were a great many people buying $70k+ Z28's well into the low-mid $50's and 20-30% discounts off MSRP.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588630128

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ch-easier.html
S.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:34 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Sales were crappy.
GM was offering huge discounts on the cars within about 18-months.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/11/...hed-from-msrp/

While that was limited to certain cars, there were a great many people buying $70k+ Z28's well into the low-mid $50's and 20-30% discounts off MSRP.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588630128

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ch-easier.html
S.
Yup. Pretty much killed the case for a GT3 RS/Z06X type vehichle and is why the ZL1 1LE and ZR1 come with all the creature comforts of regular models.

Last edited by Kappa; 12-15-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:41 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by rbartick
Umm.. No. I for one would not buy your "target car".

I find it humorous that some people think they are actually better at designing, marketing, and selling cars than the GM team. The end....shut the thread
well some things I do know more about GM's marketing team. As I said in another thread, they want to target younger buyers but yet they don't offer any exciting colors, same boring schit (except white, black and red) year after year, they just call it a different name. You want to attract younger buyers, offer some jazzy colors, it doesn't hurt to stalk a few gallons of paint.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:59 AM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
Yup. Pretty much killed the case for a GT3 RS/Z06X type vehichle and is why the ZL1 1LE and ZR1 come with all the creature comforts of regular models.
Yet the ZL1/1LE's ride is barely tolerable on the street. If they couldn't do adjustable damping to increase the suspension's bandwidth, the heated steering wheel and cushy seats really don't make any sense.

Quick Reply: ZR1: A superhero, yes...a legend, no. ZR1=Identity Crisis