C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 07:23 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
C6 ZR1 went into the 120s, C7Zs can go into the teens...nah it’s priced right.
and most of them ended up discounted to 108-112k...C7Z06 has done the same with discounts...ZR1 will too, no exceptions
Old 12-06-2017, 07:32 PM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

I wonder if GM dealers will be required to have a separate area for ZR1 owners and only the master tech can work on it or even drive it?

My friend works at Ford and they have the senior Master Tech who is the only guy allowed to even touch the Ford GT (supercar).
Old 12-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot10
I wonder if GM dealers will be required to have a separate area for ZR1 owners and only the master tech can work on it or even drive it?

My friend works at Ford and they have the senior Master Tech who is the only guy allowed to even touch the Ford GT (supercar).
Lol! That is funny!
Old 12-06-2017, 08:05 PM
Rowteree
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
and most of them ended up discounted to 108-112k...C7Z06 has done the same with discounts...ZR1 will too, no exceptions
zr1 will keep overall highest value out of all models. Just like the c6 zr1. In 10 years we may be able to nab one at the high 60 range. It will be my time to shine 😈
Old 12-06-2017, 11:22 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

c6Zr1 dealers were required to have specially trained techs...usually a master tech...if I recall...that's about the extend of the special treatment...I ended up in a HHR and an Aveo as loaners from a rental company because the Hendricks dealer in Charleston SC do not have their own loaners, but could sale ZR1's.... vastly different experience than what we get at the P dealer across the street...just remember that when you spend that 140k on a loaded ZR1...Aveo baby! you're just another shmuck with a pricey Malibu...now ask me how I feel about it again? LOL /rant
The following users liked this post:
Patriot10 (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 12:04 AM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
Lol! That is funny!
We can dream, can't we?

c6Zr1 dealers were required to have specially trained techs...usually a master tech...if I recall...that's about the extend of the special treatment...I ended up in a HHR and an Aveo as loaners from a rental company because the Hendricks dealer in Charleston SC do not have their own loaners, but could sale ZR1's.... vastly different experience than what we get at the P dealer across the street...just remember that when you spend that 140k on a loaded ZR1...Aveo baby! you're just another shmuck with a pricey Malibu...now ask me how I feel about it again? LOL /rant
Much different experience compared to my friend, who has bought several Lexus vehicles from the same dealer. They are treated quite well and he was even invited to a Lexus-Owners-Only party.

I know that GM has finally caught up to the big boys when it comes to performance. Now, they need to catch up to the big boys when it comes to the high-end customer experience.

There needs to be a VIP section for Corvette owners in a separate area of the dealership (Maybe on a 2nd floor?) Complete with a viewing window so you can see the regular schmucks down below sipping coffee from styrofoam cups.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:00 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

[QUOTE=Patriot10;1596125592]We can dream, can't we?

In all fairness to my response with a laugh.....Some Chevrolet dealerships actually do have some very capable mechanics dedicated to servicing Corvettes. I know here in the Rochester NY area at Van Bortel Chevrolet they do have two top notch mechanics, John and Aaron that you always feel at ease when bringing your Corvette there for service. I would say though that this is not the norm for most Chevrolet dealerships.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:02 AM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=Supersonic 427;1596125752]
We can dream, can't we?

In all fairness to my response with a laugh.....Some Chevrolet dealerships actually do have some very capable mechanics dedicated to servicing Corvettes. I know here in the Rochester NY area at Van Bortel Chevrolet they do have two top notch mechanics, John and Aaron that you always feel at ease when bringing your Corvette there for service. I would say though that this is not the norm for most Chevrolet dealerships.
Good for you. I have never owned a Corvette. The closest I have gotten to a Corvette was my 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 with the LS1 engine. Same engine as the Corvette at that time.

I dreaded taking it to the Chevrolet dealership. Once, someone parked the nose of my car into a wall. It had a smudge on it.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:38 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

The same ones who worked on the base C6's worked on the C6 zr1 as well!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 12-07-2017 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:04 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
a few thoughts on this based on what history has shown

the old c4 zr1 came at a high price tag, and because it was "the king" and exclusive, dealers fetched up into the 90 and 100k range. That was quite a bitter pill from the c4 base guys paying 30 and quite a bit of cash back then!

Then the C6 ZR-1 came out and LBA at 205 became a reality as did 120k plus Many again paid more, still a whole big pile of cash, but 200 rarely comes cheap now does it?

Now ye comes the C7 ZR-1, do you really think the king will come at plebian prices? No indeed. While the engineering and capability to make a stripper ZR-1 is there, none shall be had. Not the product being offered.

But from another perspective. Count up all the world class cars with 755 hp for under 150k. Price doesn't look so out of line now does it?

In reality, once the sheen of the C7 ZR-1 wears off there will always be a bigger and badder deal coming down the pike or GM wouldn't sell many corvettes.

The ZR-1 is a "warm up" for that HP and price level, and you better get them while they are hot as the HP war shall soon ebb again as we go CAFE and electric.

And quad copter drone cars which will make the rest obsolete as well.

Technology marches on. I'm old school and just "hot rod what I have" as I can't afford what I want, but it will get you to the performance and price point to be on par for less.

That's what the corvette has always done, performance for less $

speed costs money, how fast would you like to go?
Well said.

The market will influence the price to a degree, there will always be 2000 people willing to buy a super car at any price, now for us mere mortals it seems that if you can get a Z06, 40k less and it's 8/10ths the car then why not, but it all trickles down from there, the GS is 8/10ths the Z at 20k less, the Z51 is 8/10ths at 10k less and the Stingray is 8/10ths at 5k less.

It's all relative, Bill Gates may think it's a bargain while a sandwich artist may think it's too overpriced.

Compare it to other cars in it's price range and more than likely nothing will touch it, compare other cars in it's class and I'm sure it's damn near the top.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:23 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Actual sales will determine if the ZR1 Is overpriced.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:03 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

If I were currently Corvette-less, I would be inline to buy a C7-ZR1 as soon as it is available. However, I have gone over the numbers in my mind, over and over, and I can't find a way to justify it. My 2015 Z07 was $103K sticker. Add taxes and the extras I did afterwards, I have spent about $125K total, and gained few ponies along the way, enough to position it slightly behind the HP of the ZR1. If I were to get the ZR1, I would want it all loaded-up, which would total $160k to $165 out the door (taxes and all). I just can't justify spending $70 - $80 beyond what my car is worth right now. What I may do is keep my Z06, and wait until the end of the ZR1 run and buy on of the last ones made.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:55 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Compared to the C6ZR pricing not overpriced at all. Z06 with Z07 package loaded =110 ish, add the extras the ZR has , pricing is on point

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 12-08-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:54 AM
warhawkmcdaniel
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 93 Posts

If the car tracks very well and doesn't have big problems I expect the market price to heat up.

If it is a slight improvement,with only a few minor issues I don't know if paying the extra is worth it.

If there is a serious track issue the glam will go off the car and I wouldn't be surprised if the price slipped.

Until we get track performance it is a gamble to me.Upside and downside potential.

I expect a bigger blower,coolers and wings to pop up on Z06's at a bargain price.I am not a fan of modifications as I like origional cars but a modified Z06 has potential to come very close or surpass the ZR1.

An origional ZR1 on the resale market has more potential than a hopped up Z06 in my opinion.

It is good a ZR1 has been built.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:00 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
My 17' Z06 listed for 106,055, got 20,055 off sticker, of course I am paying sticker for my ZR1, so yea a 60k price increase is tough to take, thought about it for a few weeks, but still getting it and keeping the Z06, see which one I like more and sell the other. So is it overpriced, yea I think so, but then went to my Porsche dealer and ordered a turbo s, yea really did, 3rd Porsche, so now the ZR1 is a BARGIN. I'm old and it's time to play.
You can't take it with you.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:05 AM
warhawkmcdaniel
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by OVR60
You can't take it with you.
Agree.

It's also hard 10 years out when that Porshe you paid $200k for is worth 100k.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 230 Likes on 130 Posts

When MSRP pricing is moved up above $100k, we are really looking at a different owner group, one that is comparing across a broad spectrum of relatively low volume halo-type high performance models without a lot of brand allegiance.

My guess is that because of the raw performance capabilities of the car (and some brand allegiance among the more wealthy of the Corvette owners group), initial (first year) demand will be pretty strong. After that, demand could taper off pretty fast ... but, who really knows for sure?

Get notified of new replies

To Overpriced?

Old 12-08-2017, 10:43 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

I think the value proposition here all comes from perspective. For me, I'm coming from an extremely fast LS7 modded C5 Z06 I sold last month. That car was a my baby for 9 years and it took something really wild (the C7 ZR1) to give me the incentive that the jump would be large enough to make selling the C5Z worth it. A Z07 would've still been awesome, but while a massive jump in refinement, it would've been essentially equal in performance, and a little slower in a straight line. When I built my C5 in 2010 it was essentially the ultimate street Vette I could envision at the time; 427ci, dry sump, light, big brakes, coilovers, aero, real carbon fiber interior, etc, etc... but times have moved forward quickly in the past 7 years, so I was starting the feel like I was at the limits of what I could do with the C5 platform. Bring on the ZR1...

For me, this ZR1 will be a massive jump from where I came, and while I HATE thinking about this, LOL, will cost about the same as what my C5 did after adding up all the mods over 9 years!!! That's not a joke, the new owner has a big *** binder with all my old receipts detailing everything!

Now, if I already had nice, paid of Z07 car, not sure if this would be worth it for me at full MSRP, probably not. I'd have to think about it, but for me and my current situation, the ZR1 is extremely exciting and I am pumped to hear the status of my order and get my hands on this monster!!! Track days, car shows, 1/2 mile, roll racing, daily commuting... this car will not sit (my C5 had 86K miles) and will certainly do it all!
Old 12-08-2017, 11:07 AM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Range_Rat
When MSRP pricing is moved up above $100k, we are really looking at a different owner group, one that is comparing across a broad spectrum of relatively low volume halo-type high performance models without a lot of brand allegiance.

My guess is that because of the raw performance capabilities of the car (and some brand allegiance among the more wealthy of the Corvette owners group), initial (first year) demand will be pretty strong. After that, demand could taper off pretty fast ... but, who really knows for sure?
Whether we like it or not, cars are getting more expensive. The new CTS-V limited is over $100k MSRP. The base is $87k MSRP, well above a Z06. A new Escalade with a few options is $85.-$90k. My point is, cars are frequently above $100k these days. I don't think it's the same demographic as it used to be...there are FAR more people able to afford a $100k car than in years past.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:28 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
Whether we like it or not, cars are getting more expensive. The new CTS-V limited is over $100k MSRP. The base is $87k MSRP, well above a Z06. A new Escalade with a few options is $85.-$90k. My point is, cars are frequently above $100k these days. I don't think it's the same demographic as it used to be...there are FAR more people able to afford a $100k car than in years past.
Great point not it is the same world as when the C6 ZR1 came out.

But will they spring for the 150k track car? Which the ZR1 has identified as.

The Z06 is very close to being the same car. I feel it comes down to Corvette faithful they are the majority of Corvettes sales you know the baby boomers.

The other shoppers with the 150k and more to spend honestly look at other cars that seemingly have more prestige . Then it is you are spending HOW MUCH on A Corvette?

The ZR1 is priced too high not for the car BUT for the average joe to carry a car payment.
Much more limited market.
IMO We have to wait and see!

Quick Reply: Overpriced?