When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1 - Page 22 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C7 ZR1 Discussion
General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1

Old 01-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #421
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoratZ06 View Post
99% of all new cars sold DEPRECIATE. So resale is simply not a factor in MOST purchases.

Sure the GT2 and GT3 do a good job of holding value/appreciating...but you also have a 'realistic' purchase price of $400-$500k for a GT2RS. That assumes you can even get one!! How many people are really in the position to not only afford one, BUT to actually be ABLE to get one (at any price)? Not many...thus resale value is generally of LITTLE concern to 99% of buyers.

Current production cars that will likely appreciate: Ford GT, GT2/GT3, Ferrari Aperta...not much else out there that is 'appreciating.' Good luck getting on the list to own ANY of those cars. You can actually buy a ZR1.

I disagree. I believe that many people factor in "resale" value when they purchase a new car. While just about everyone realizes that the new car they are about to purchase will lose value once they drive it off the dealer's lot, they are interested in how much the car will be worth when they go to trade it in on another new one several years down the road.

MOST people realize that some cars depreciate more than others and do that that onto consideration when deciding which new car to purchase.

About the only time "resale" value isn't a factor is when someone purchases a new car with the intention of keeping it until the wheels fall off and is worth zero.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #422
ZoratZ06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
I disagree. I believe that many people factor in "resale" value when they purchase a new car. While just about everyone realizes that the new car they are about to purchase will lose value once they drive it off the dealer's lot, they are interested in how much the car will be worth when they go to trade it in on another new one several years down the road.

MOST people realize that some cars depreciate more than others and do that that onto consideration when deciding which new car to purchase.

About the only time "resale" value isn't a factor is when someone purchases a new car with the intention of keeping it until the wheels fall off and is worth zero.
I disagree. If so, then how does just about every single Mercedes Benz (insert any non-Japanese manufacturer) customer justify their purchase? They depreciate faster than rocks, especially S-Classes. As do MOST foreign luxury cars, and sports cars. I honestly haven't met a person who's bought a new car and while doing so thought about what it might be worth in 3-5 years, and then chose NOT to purchase it in favor of another 'less depreciating vehicle.' Most new sports car (and other car) purchases are emotional not economical. Cars are toilets, period. A horrible investment, safe for a few rare models.

I think it's even less of a thought when buying $200k+ cars.
ZoratZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #423
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I disagree. If so, then how does just about every single Mercedes Benz (insert any non-Japanese manufacturer) customer justify their purchase? They depreciate faster than rocks, especially S-Classes. As do MOST foreign luxury cars, and sports cars. I honestly haven't met a person who's bought a new car and while doing so thought about what it might be worth in 3-5 years, and then chose NOT to purchase it in favor of another 'less depreciating vehicle.' Most new sports car (and other car) purchases are emotional not economical. Cars are toilets, period. A horrible investment, safe for a few rare models.

I think it's even less of a thought when buying $200k+ cars.
I disagree. Keep the comparison to the same type of cars.

A $30,000 Toyota to a $30,000 Chevrolet to a $30,000 Ford etc.

A $75,000 Mercedes to a $75,000 Lexus, to a $75,000 BMW. etc.

Don't compare $200,00 NSX to a $40,000 Silverado.

Of course my 19 year old Mercedes has depreciated more in dollars than a 19 year old Honda Civic has. And If I were to buy a new Escalade I would expect it to depreciate more(in dollars) than what a new CRV would depreciate(in dollars) in 5 years. But how much would a $25,000 CRV be worth compared to a $25,000 Kia in 5 years?

Most people have a price in mind when they are looking to buy a new car and that's the cars they compare and that's the cars that they factor in resale valve when they decide on which car to purchase.

That young secretary making $35,000 a year that goes into a Chevy dealer to buy a $25,000 Cruze does not drive home in a new $125,000 Z06. She might go over to the Toyota dealer and check out a new $25,000 Camry. Which one do you think will have the most resale value 5 years down the road? A Cruze or the Camry? That young secretary could care less how much a Z06 will depreciate as all she is interested in is a $25,000 sedan.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-17-2018 at 04:44 PM.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #424
sunsalem
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I disagree. If so, then how does just about every single Mercedes Benz (insert any non-Japanese manufacturer) customer justify their purchase? They depreciate faster than rocks, especially S-Classes.
The MB depreciation rate is highly influenced by the fact so many new MBs are actually leased, not purchased.
Ultimately, MB ends up with lots of used cars after the leases run out.

Last edited by sunsalem; 01-17-2018 at 04:52 PM.
sunsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #425
ZoratZ06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
I disagree. Keep the comparison to the same type of cars.

A $30,000 Toyota to a $30,000 Chevrolet to a $30,000 Ford etc.

A $75,000 Mercedes to a $75,000 Lexus, to a $75,000 BMW. etc.

Don't compare $200,00 NSX to a $40,000 Silverado.

Of course my 19 year old Mercedes has depreciated more in dollars than a 19 year old Honda Civic has. And If I were to buy a new Escalade I would expect it to depreciate more(in dollars) than what a new CRV would depreciate(in dollars) in 5 years. But how much would a $25,000 CRV be worth compared to a $25,000 Kia in 5 years?

Most people have a price in mind when they are looking to buy a new car and that's the cars they compare and that's the cars that they factor in resale valve when they decide on which car to purchase.

That young secretary making $35,000 a year that goes into a Chevy dealer to buy a $25,000 Cruze does not drive home in a new $125,000 Z06. She might go over to the Toyota dealer and check out a new $25,000 Camry. Which one do you think will have the most resale value 5 years down the road? A Cruze or the Camry? That young secretary could care less how much a Z06 will depreciate as all she is interested in is a $25,000 sedan.
A 10yr old Honda Civic isn't too far off a 10 year old S-Class...They were close in price when they were new.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...delCode1=CIVIC

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odelCode1=S500

You missed the mark if you thought I was talking about pure dollars only vs. percentage depreciation. Although the Civic example is FUNNY. Do some homework...MB is near the top of the list across the board esp. after 5 years. 1 year depreciate might be 'slightly' better. Overall Japanese cars are usually the best with regard to resale value...sure there are exceptions, but I'm using a general rule. Ford Taurus used to be the best selling car in the country, yet resale on a Camry/Accord was better...Explain that? If people cared so much about resale, then the Taurus wouldn't stand a chance. Things have changed since then in terms of top selling models...but you get the point. It also depends on the term you're referring to: 1yr, 2yrs, 5yrs, 10yrs etc...

Fact is MOST cars depreciate 40-60% within 5 years. So they are HORRIBLE investments.

At this point we're veering way off topic...the simple was, 99% of cars depreciate, not appreciate and the ones that do appreciate are nearly impossible to get most of the time. The possible exception was the 2005 Ford GT after 1 year or so. Even the Challenge Stradale, Scuderia and Speciale were hard to get new.

Old school Ferrari's and manual tranny Ferrari's would be the notable exception, but with regard to BRAND NEW cars...there are very very few...I listed them earlier.
ZoratZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #426
johnglenntwo
CF Senior Member

Default 2002 "Bang for the Buck" Z06 over Porsche Turbo (My then Dream Car)!

0-60 4.2 vs 4.0; mod away

1/4 mile 12.4 vs 12.0; mod away

Track handling!

The ZO6's value is currently increasing somewhat because it can still get it done on the track, and it is less available!

"The ZR1 within 10s wins (without bandaids and being propped up)!"

http://www.superchevy.com/features/1...from-archives/

Last edited by johnglenntwo; Yesterday at 12:59 PM.
johnglenntwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:02 AM   #427
themonk
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

hahaha.....people wanting to talk about the performance of past Corvettes.....especially who have yet to own the past and present.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:11 AM   #428
themonk
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnglenntwo View Post

Track handling!

The ZO6's value is currently increasing somewhat because it can still get it done on the track, and its less available!

How many Corvettes have you owned?
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM   #429
Sub Driver
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnglenntwo View Post

Track handling!

The ZO6's value is currently increasing somewhat because it can still get it done on the track, and its less available!

Explain the logic of how being slower by 10s wins anything. What bandaids and " being propped up" are you talking about? Remember context matters and you are not having a conversation with yourself so incomplete sentences are confusing to normal people.
Sub Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM   #430
johnglenntwo
CF Senior Member

Default You guys may get up before me! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
hahaha.....people wanting to talk about the performance of past Corvettes.....especially who have yet to own the past and present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
How many Corvettes have you owned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Driver View Post
Explain the logic of how being slower by 10s wins anything. What bandaids and " being propped up" are you talking about? Remember context matters and you are not having a conversation with yourself so incomplete sentences are confusing to normal people.

But!

You are Not this stupid! Therefore, you are purely Trolling me this time, and purely Not getting me to dignify this with an answer. Any other clowns who like to jump in add yourselves from me and save time!

THE ENIGMA!

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2002-porsche-gt2-2/

(The C5 ZO6 is currently the best performance bargain (unlike that Viper then too!)

I have thought the C6 ZR1 broke up the Porsche party! Interesting, the C5 had snuck in there already, and even more so - Really (the turbo wasn't so fast then))!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; Yesterday at 06:56 PM.
johnglenntwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1
  •