C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 01:12 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default It wasn't a Stick - Clear Enough!? ;)

Originally Posted by Stingray23
You can only see whats on the surface, not underneath. Its a known thing with those 2.
The motor was hammered....

It was a 911!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-07-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:42 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
The GT2RS will get the dog **** slapped out of it by the ZR1!

Keep us updated on how all that works out.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:12 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

paypal bet?
Old 12-07-2017, 03:35 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

Not on the ZR1's best and brightest day. The Hurican performante got its **** slapped out by the GT2RS.

Best part is, GT2RS even has a child seat option. Strap in your little guy for a 6:48 run at the Ring....

That car has no equal....
Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
paypal bet?
it'd be like youre takin money from a babayyy....lol.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Just for kicks. Can't read German but its pretty easy to figure out.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:56 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
I'm soooo tired of hearing this, let it go.... please
I only buy stick cars, so yeah it matters. The transmission is one of the core assemblies in any car, it costs big money to make a good one, and it's very much a discussion piece.

Porsche didn't build one initially for the GT3 991.1 because it costs a lot of money. They only built one now, paraded it in a rare 911 R model before they released it to the rest of the market.

The transmission is very relevant:
from an experience point of view
from a cost point of view
from a performance point of view

GM invested more money to develop the Z06 trans, which was only rated for 650tq to use it in the ZR1. Porsche didn't spend the money to offer a further developed manual trans in the GT2. It matters.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:00 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

That Sport Auto video is pretty cool.
Note that they tested a C7 Z06 and it ran an :06.9.
With the additional 105 hp and aero, I wouldn't be surprised to see it pick up ~2-3 seconds on that track (especially since they do a standing start). The ZR1 will be right there with the GT2 RS and the Performante.
S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snorman:
johnglenntwo (12-07-2017), ZoratZ06 (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 05:18 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
That Sport Auto video is pretty cool.
Note that they tested a C7 Z06 and it ran an :06.9.
With the additional 105 hp and aero, I wouldn't be surprised to see it pick up ~2-3 seconds on that track (especially since they do a standing start). The ZR1 will be right there with the GT2 RS and the Performante.
S.
It's nice to see logical common sense on these boards without throwing in ridiculous brand loyalty emotion, like a lot of the crowd does. I mean that on both sides of the aisle.

I think the ZR1 will do just fine.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:59 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I only buy stick cars, so yeah it matters. The transmission is one of the core assemblies in any car, it costs big money to make a good one, and it's very much a discussion piece.

Porsche didn't build one initially for the GT3 991.1 because it costs a lot of money. They only built one now, paraded it in a rare 911 R model before they released it to the rest of the market.

The transmission is very relevant:
from an experience point of view
from a cost point of view
from a performance point of view

GM invested more money to develop the Z06 trans, which was only rated for 650tq to use it in the ZR1. Porsche didn't spend the money to offer a further developed manual trans in the GT2. It matters.
OK, I get it but you don't need to say it over and over and......
I see this 5 times a day and it only matters to???. No one because everybody has already made up their mind.
I don't have a problem with your opinion but have you ever had a conversation with a drunk in a bar who keeps repeating him/her self over and over and....
The following users liked this post:
Cedarberry (01-24-2018)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:21 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
OK, I get it but you don't need to say it over and over and......
I see this 5 times a day and it only matters to???. No one because everybody has already made up their mind.
I don't have a problem with your opinion but have you ever had a conversation with a drunk in a bar who keeps repeating him/her self over and over and....
Oh, I see you are the guy who speaks for everyone. With all do respect you are crossing your boundary. It's as if you're the guy who walked in drunk in a bar, had nothing to contribute, except to yell "wrong."

This forum is not of the "Make LawrenceFromTorrance Feel Good" variety. I'm not here to give you good vibes. Someone needs to drop a dollar in the negativity jar.

The ZR1 may take the record for the fastest production stick shift car to run the Ring. If you don't think that's an achievement that's fine by me. You can say it or not say it, or say it twice. Just don't tell me what to do.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:31 PM
HotHonda
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Easier to read....

The following users liked this post:
Kappa (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Enzom
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
The negativity surrounding this car has caught my by surprise...then again, on this forum, nothing should surprise me anymore.

Let me try to understand...So we have been introduced to a car that has 755hp with 725tq (??), and will likely compete with and sometimes beat just about ANYTHING currently available at ANY price. Not only will it compete with and potentially beat most of those cars, it will do so with a FULL interior, a comfortable ride, and for 1/2 the price, in the 'real' world, more like 1/3rd to 1/4 of the price. AND actually be available to purchase, unlike the FGT and GT2RS (in the 'real world').

So please, help me understand how this is so terrible? How GM f-ed up? I don't see it.

Likely Competitors:

Mac 720s
Porsche GT2RS
Ferrari 488
Ford GT
Lambo Huracan

It should fair pretty well against all of them in various aspects. It won't be faster than all of them in a straight line, but my guess is it will hold it's own quite well on the track. I personally don't think the Ferrari or Porsche will be faster at the strip. 3 of those 5 cars are PURPOSE built race cars. Only the Ferrari and Lambo aren't...and I'm sure a 'speciale' type version is still to come...

I just don't understand the bitching and moaning around here...and it's American to boot. Love it.

Lastly, I have't seen too many of you guys complaining the GT2RS weighs 3250 lbs and the Mac 720s only weighs 2850. So the GT2RS is a pig now? Silly.

Point of clarification - 720S is not purpose built for racing. That is the 720LT which is yet to come.

Everyone should be glad that there are so many great cars out there at various price point.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:42 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by thegame
paypal bet?
I'll take that bet.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:59 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Punky: My experience is from racing these cars for 20+ years... and winning successfully for 20+ years.

It's just physics, how many 'road race' cars come with Superchargers?
None... Turbo or N/A... is what 'track dedicated' cars receive.

I still beleive the ZR1 is going to be a beast... and I'm sure I'll get one at some point. But I would never expect it to be a track dedicated machine.

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Well then..semantics I suppose..

"though to see" ... impossible to see... allegedly there..but OK no big deal I guess.. I was simply pointing out what a lot of people were humming about in the forums..

I was specific..and it would be nice a rebuttal in kind..

2. OEM 'Weissach Package'. Selected substitution of few components with lighter ones. 40 pounds
3. OEM deletion of audio and communication system...
5. deletion of acclimatization system

You say stock... I say clever way to substitute "stripping" with "package" "deletion" and "OEM deletion". It does sound more professional though I give you that..

I am not going to double check the rest because this is about ZR1 and GT2RS... agree?

Cheers
TelePierre, here is another view showing the passenger seat, they didn't remove anything that wasn't a factory option:
http://press.porsche.com/admin/presspics/1048.jpg

Corvette enthusiasts have been asking for 'stripped/lightweight' models for decades, and GM tells us no, they won't sell. Porsche charges $30K for their 'lightweight items', go figure.

I for one am glad chevrolet is still making this car with a Manual, I am disappointed that it is still an Automatic, and not a DCT, in 2019 (MY).

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 12-07-2017, 10:20 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Oh, I see you are the guy who speaks for everyone. With all do respect you are crossing your boundary. It's as if you're the guy who walked in drunk in a bar, had nothing to contribute, except to yell "wrong."

This forum is not of the "Make LawrenceFromTorrance Feel Good" variety. I'm not here to give you good vibes. Someone needs to drop a dollar in the negativity jar.

The ZR1 may take the record for the fastest production stick shift car to run the Ring. If you don't think that's an achievement that's fine by me. You can say it or not say it, or say it twice. Just don't tell me what to do.
See, if you could let it go you wouldn't have responded. Your just upset because you're not getting an AMEN from everybody. Yes, this is my opinion just as you gave your opinion, you just won't see me going on and on about it. Now since you can't stop yourself go ahead and I'll let you have the last word. But you'll just be proving me right
Old 12-08-2017, 06:49 AM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Leaf spring suspension is the achilles heel for all Corvettes. Maybe the C8 will breakout of that mold. For now you have to settle for a super car instead of a super duper car.

Get notified of new replies

To When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1

Old 12-08-2017, 08:26 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
I'll take that bet.
You're on Monk
Old 12-08-2017, 08:31 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
Leaf spring suspension is the achilles heel for all Corvettes. Maybe the C8 will breakout of that mold. For now you have to settle for a super car instead of a super duper car.
Sorry bud but you are showing your "age" so I am playing the good ol switcheroo with you.. nothing personal..just fun..

1960 Independent MacPherson axle with traverse and longitudinal control arms and suspension struts is the achilles heel for all 911s. Maybe the 2050s 911s will break that mold. For now you have to settle for a super car instead of a super duper car.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
Punky: My experience is from racing these cars for 20+ years... and winning successfully for 20+ years.

It's just physics, how many 'road race' cars come with Superchargers?
None... Turbo or N/A... is what 'track dedicated' cars receive.

I still beleive the ZR1 is going to be a beast... and I'm sure I'll get one at some point. But I would never expect it to be a track dedicated machine.

TelePierre, here is another view showing the passenger seat, they didn't remove anything that wasn't a factory option:
http://press.porsche.com/admin/presspics/1048.jpg

I for one am glad chevrolet is still making this car with a Manual, I am disappointed that it is still an Automatic, and not a DCT, in 2019 (MY).

Best Regards,
Dave
Dave,

Thank you for looking into the “seat” question and sharing. You probably came across the same thing I did. A LOT of enthusiasts asking the same because of Porsche’s legalese
“Porsche Motorsport bucket seat and harness on driver's side only”
Many interpreted this to mean no passenger seat; this coupled with the Weissach passenger seat being so skelety you can barely see it (to include the picture you sent )camouflaged with the roll bar.

You may recall my initial post started with this “PURE TRACK the GT2 RS has "probably" an edge”
So I am not here to bash this “titan” but I am simply peeling the onion back on the GT2 RS ring show to point out “techniques” that may be generally accepted in Germany and Europe as “normal” but in the CF do need some discovery for real apple to apple compares.

For example, I am still scratching my head on reconciling the term Original Manufacturer Equipment (OEM) delete” with the term “stock” and “stripping”. I sense from your reply you are conceding this point?

For example the GT2 RS comes “stock” without rear seats. Comes “stock” with magnesium roof (2005 Corvette anybody?..) and titanium exhaust and special light glass and rear traction vs all drive. Got it. I can accept these as OEM “stock”.

But the ring GT2 RS ALSO had “custom work” that pushes the boundaries of mere “options” and turn into downright modding (since the term stripping seems offensive).

The Weissach Package is a “special order”
The 3 OEM deletes aforementioned are “special order” not an “option” the way "options" are generally interpreted (see GT2 RS configurator – not there).

I hope you understand the distinction I am making within the context on my original post which was the ZR1 “stock” is most likely a much better GT car.

The GT2 RS “stock” is a 295K car.
The GT2 RS “ring car” is a custom order 380K+ car! The same way the Lexus LFA that did the Nurburing WAS a “custom” car as inquiring minds later found out...

If we want solely concentrate on track(which I don’t) to make a compare meaningful I need to know these things..

Truth is, math at hand, it looks to me stock to stock the power/weight ratio favors the ZR1..

Finally, not sure I can agree with this..

Corvette enthusiasts have been asking for 'stripped/lightweight' models for decades, and GM tells us no, they won't sell. Porsche charges $30K for their 'lightweight items', go figure
sales figures at hand for both C7 and 2009-2013 ZR1 vs 911GT2 really shows the Corvette “model” works better.. basically (at least in the US) “bang for the buck” still matters and tacking premiums for "uber" customizations ala “stripping” its more “bucks for the bang”..

Personally, do I want Tadge to send the stock ZR1 to Pratt and Miller to “smoke” the Ring and then been told THAT car is a special order!?

Neh- I think I’ll take my 3-5 seconds delta (either way) stick with stock and let the tuners on this CF tackle the specials..

Good chat.

Cheers

Quick Reply: When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1