C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 02:59 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
The NFGT just set a new Lightning Lap record with a 2:43 flat. There's a big thread about it on the Ford GT Forum. Just as an FYI, they were very unhappy with the results at Big Willow, claiming it was extremely hot when it ran. I have no idea if that is accurate.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...at-VIR-C-amp-D

They got offended when someone mentioned the 570/720 McLaren's. Because of what I read I sure do not want to associate myself with a majority of these people. I want someone with a 2018 and up C7Z or a C7Z with the updated DSC controller to kill the new FGT on track. If we wait long enough this year I may have my own C7Z to do it.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Innovate
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...at-VIR-C-amp-D

They got offended when someone mentioned the 570/720 McLaren's. Because of what I read I sure do not want to associate myself with a majority of these people. I want someone with a 2018 and up C7Z or a C7Z with the updated DSC controller to kill the new FGT on track. If we wait long enough this year I may have my own C7Z to do it.
That's because that forum is for owners. It's not for idiots who have ~20-year old Corvettes to go on and start arguments about how cars they don't even own or never touched will beat a NFGT. And LMFAO at wanting somebody with a C7Z to "kill the new FGT on track". That'll really prove something.
DBK has always ran that forum that way and it works well.
S.
The following users liked this post:
johnglenntwo (01-24-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 11:09 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default 'Being That' Butt of a Joke!? ;)

Hopefully, these new GT's won't be in it for the short run! This sucker gave up a lot of robustness for the benefits of riding on its front rims!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-23-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo

Hopefully, these new GT's won't be in it for the short run! This sucker gave up a lot of robustness for the benefits of riding on its front rims!

What do you mean by giving up robustness for the benefits of riding on its front rims? I'm really trying to understand this one.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:54 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
That's the Car and Driver Lightning lap I believe.

Winkler put down a 2:40 in the ACR-E as I recall.

When cars are this fast a lot is condition and Driver dependent.

More than likely I will smash every single Ford GT I will ever see on the track since that number is probably going to be zero.

With a fully backed factory effort and a trailer load of Kuhmo's...right?

That's a lot different than a magazine driver with one day to see what he could do without wadding it into dumpster material. As an aside, the driver said given the usual amount of time they get with each car during the LL he felt he could shave a couple seconds off his time.

But it's really neither here nor there because as you say the chances of seeing on on track is close to zero. I know I wouldn't had I gotten an allocation because they are literally irreplaceable right now. The last I heard 160 had been produced so far and you are contractually bound not to sell it for two years.

Well, unless you're John Cenna I hope they roast his *** in court.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
That's because that forum is for owners. It's not for idiots who have ~20-year old Corvettes to go on and start arguments about how cars they don't even own or never touched will beat a NFGT. And LMFAO at wanting somebody with a C7Z to "kill the new FGT on track". That'll really prove something.
DBK has always ran that forum that way and it works well.
S.
I know and outsiders are allowed to keep posts to a bare minimum. Lol. It will prove something if two good drivers are behind the wheels. Yes DBK has and it is wild to me that most of them think the NFGT is the be all-end all for everything.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:10 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

But it's really neither here nor there because as you say the chances of seeing on on track is close to zero.
You never know I guess. Luke MCGrew was on track with one at Mid-Ohio while he was driving his Camaro ZL1 and hung with it the entire time.

It's not indicative of the car's performance potential of course, just the way it was being driven. If Luke had been in his ACR-E he would have gone around the Ford GT like it was tied to a stump.

Last edited by Racingswh; 01-23-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Telepierre (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 01:36 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

You never know I guess. Luke MCGrew was on track with one at Mid-Ohio while he was driving his Camaro ZL1 and hung with it the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-149CZk0oM

It's not indicative of the car's performance potential of course, just the way it was being driven. If Luke had been in his ACR-E he would have gone around the Ford GT like it was tied to a stump.
How true. For example, Billy Johnson in the new Ford GT just blew the ACR-E's 2.40x record on their track tour out of the water with a 2:38.62 on the Lightning Lap course. There's a screen shot of the telemetry on the FGT Forum.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

How true. For example, Billy Johnson in the new Ford GT just blew the ACR-E's 2.40x record on their track tour out of the water with a 2:38.62 on the Lightning Lap course. There's a screen shot of the telemetry on the FGT Forum.

Very nice lap! Great to hear it works really well with the right driver!! That's the way everything is though. Most FGT driver's will circulate around 30 seconds off the pace so what Bill did is immaterial.

I can only hope that I see one at some point but like we have said chances are slim made even more unlikely because I drive mostly with PCA. I would guess a higher probability of me seeing the car that started this thread, the new GT2RS.

Season starts soon for us so we will see!!

Last edited by Racingswh; 01-24-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:40 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Hell of a time by Billy Johnson. Great stuff. Well done.

Still puzzled as to why he wasn't a lot faster given that Corvette chief ride and handling engineer Jim Mero apparently set a 2:39.77 on the Grand West course using the new suspension calibration available for all model years of the 7th generation Z06.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ibrations.html See the time listed under Changes

The C7 ZR1 will be a problem if the GT can't put more distance between itself and a relatively humble Z06.

Johnson will probably get even faster with a bit more seat time.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:08 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bwright
Hell of a time by Billy Johnson. Great stuff. Well done.

Still puzzled as to why he wasn't a lot faster given that Corvette chief ride and handling engineer Jim Mero apparently set a 2:39.77 on the Grand West course using the new suspension calibration available for all model years of the 7th generation Z06.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ibrations.html See the time listed under Changes

The C7 ZR1 will be a problem if the GT can't put more distance between itself and a relatively humble Z06.

Johnson will probably get even faster with a bit more seat time.
Humble? That's not a word I would associate with a Z06. IMO, it needs make excuses to no one.

And just like we've found at the drag strip, we've reached a point of diminishing returns as far as lap times go. Especially with street cars. I expect the ZR1 to give the NFGT all it can handle and be comfortably ahead of the ACR-E on any track they both run.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Humble? That's not a word I would associate with a Z06. IMO, it needs make excuses to no one.
As the owner of a 2016 Z06 you are preaching to the choir.

Word humble was preceded by relatively as the way expectations have been set for the GT and the way it was priced one would think the Z06 would not be worthy. Gap turned out to be far smaller than it should be underscoring that the ZR1 will be a force to be reckoned with.

Among production road cars the Z06 remains number 5 on CD's Lighting Lap leaderboard. No excuses indeed.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:18 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

I expect the ZR1 to give the NFGT all it can handle and be comfortably ahead of the ACR-E on any track they both run.
Both of them will need to be driven as fast as they can be to stay ahead of a well driven ACR-E or C7Z06 and vice versa.

Even a well driven C7Z51 or Grand Sport will smash an ACR-E with an average Driver. I think Koan in his Grand Sport has proven that at VIR circulating the long course faster than most everyone does no matter what they're driving.

Comparing real world Driver's someone like Gary Wimble will, in his ACR-E, go around every FGT, ZR1 or GT2RS he ever sees unless Poorsha or someone with his skill set like Koan, is driving and that will require they be on the track at the same time.

In the case of Poorsha in his new ZR1 when he gets it and Gary Wimble, they may see each other because they frequent the same tracks. Even being at the same event though doesn't mean you will see the other one on the track.

In reality what Pro's do in them means nothing unless most owners enjoy comparing how many seconds off the pace they are in their own cars. Even worse is buying something that was incredibly quick in the hands of a Pro and then having everyone and their brother go around you in 17 year old well developed C5's. Happens all the time.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:46 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

In reality what Pro's do in them means nothing unless most owners enjoy comparing how many seconds off the pace they are in their own cars. Even worse is buying something that was incredibly quick in the hands of a Pro and then having everyone and their brother go around you in 17 year old well developed C5's. Happens all the time.
Absolutely right.
This is why so many of these recorded times for different cars at various tracks are problematic.
At least with something like the Lightening Lap there is an attempt to remove such variables as driver skill, track conditions, etc.
Not perfect, but a step in the right direction.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sunsalem
At least with something like the Lightening Lap there is an attempt to remove such variables as driver skill, track conditions, etc.
Not perfect, but a step in the right direction.
I feel any of the cars on any performance list regardless of marque are special in their own way. I like some more than others.

As I narrow down the list one of my favorites always happens to be a Corvette. I feel this new ZR1 is going to be an incredible car, a great track weapon that can be driven on the street comfortably as well, and I look forward to seeing one being well driven.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:17 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I feel any of the cars on any performance list regardless of marque are special in their own way. I like some more than others.
Same here.

As I narrow down the list one of my favorites always happens to be a Corvette. I feel this new ZR1 is going to be an incredible car, a great track weapon that can be driven on the street comfortably as well, and I look forward to seeing one being well driven.
We already know the C7 Z06 is no slouch.
Strapping more power and downforce (quite a bit more of both) to it will turn it into something that is hard to measure at this point.
When GM releases some cars to the Press for reviews we will get an idea of its capabilities.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:50 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
They revised that to as many as they can fit into their production schedule.

Huh? I think that means about a 1,000, or as many as we have full prepayment for, not to exceed 1,000....

Get notified of new replies

To When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1

Old 01-25-2018, 08:19 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Chewing my Cabbage Twice!? ;)

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Huh? I think that means about a 1,000, or as many as we have full prepayment for, not to exceed 1,000....
SOP Here!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...urgring-record

And

In that C8's Wheelhouse!?

http://www.motortrend.com/news/spied...otted-testing/

https://www.motor1.com/news/129683/p...sion-e-demand/

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-25-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:03 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Both of them will need to be driven as fast as they can be to stay ahead of a well driven ACR-E or C7Z06 and vice versa.

Even a well driven C7Z51 or Grand Sport will smash an ACR-E with an average Driver. I think Koan in his Grand Sport has proven that at VIR circulating the long course faster than most everyone does no matter what they're driving.

Comparing real world Driver's someone like Gary Wimble will, in his ACR-E, go around every FGT, ZR1 or GT2RS he ever sees unless Poorsha or someone with his skill set like Koan, is driving and that will require they be on the track at the same time.

In the case of Poorsha in his new ZR1 when he gets it and Gary Wimble, they may see each other because they frequent the same tracks. Even being at the same event though doesn't mean you will see the other one on the track.

Well said bud. I am trying my best to get this through my best friends head now. He is in the market for his first real sports car and all he does is compare cars by numbers. Meaning numbers that the pros run. Like you said, unless you're a pro (or near), means absolutely nothing.
svtkeith (01-27-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 09:25 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Absolutely Nothing!? ;)

Case in point: Ring GT2 RS 997 vs The 991!

DEARBORN – There once was a time when owning a supercar meant compromise. Undeniably, the thrills were real, but the effort required to operate many a high-performance machine could overwhelm.

http://performance.ford.com/enthusia...ive-modes.html

Easy really! Nobody is ever really turning 'Off' the Nannies anymore!

https://www.cnn.com/2013/12/03/us/pa...car/index.html

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-28-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: When Titans Collide: The GT2 RS vs the 2019 ZR1