C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C7 ZR1 vs. Viper ACR Extreme

Old 12-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Tires are also a major factor, a fresh set of Hoosiers give me an instant, effortless 5 seconds! Same car, same driver.
It's a bit of a myth that the Hoosiers are that much faster than the latest OEM tires that come on all these cars. They are hardly faster than the Kumho's on the Viper for a lap. Where they excel is durability. 15 sessions on the fronts and 25-30 sessions on the rears whereas the Kumho's driven hard you may get four 20 minute sessions out of the fronts if you're lucky.

Hoosiers aren't even that much faster than the Pilot Super Sports albeit you have to over drive the Super Sports a bit to go quick. They are still within 1.5 seconds here. I think my quickest time on Hoosier's (Which isn't very quick mind you, lol!!) at this track with the GS was a 1:12.03. At this same track in the Viper was a 1:08.42 with Hoosiers and a 1.10.20 on the Kumho's the first and only time I used them.

I don't even know what tires come on the ZR1? Whatever they are they are better than the tires that came stock on the Viper.

I forgot this and is valid because both can be street driven. The Viper is terrible. I had to break in the new differential after the first one went bad at 3700 miles and all I wanted to do was be done with it and out of the car. Uncomfortable, no ground clearance, rides horrible, radio hardly works. I don't even have to see one to know the ZR1 is going to be soooo much better in that regard there's no comparison.

Here's the Grand Sport with the Pilot Super Sports. Car is stock other than pads and SRF fluid. Many of the cars I am on track with in this video are shod with Hoosiers. The Cup car is on Pirelli slicks. I am always shocked at how well the Super Sports work.

Take note of a couple of the cars the GS goes around. This is indicative of what you see at track days and reinforces my original point regarding how a car is being driven is most important. This is an Advanced level / Instructor blended run group.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:03 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
What do you mean the viper is under 7 Mins now? The lowest they got during the private effort was 7:01.
You're right, it is 7:01. I thought they dipped below 7 minutes the second time. Not sure if they can raise enough money to go back again. All team members firmly believed they could do the sub 7, but ran into tire problems. They expected another 5 seconds off.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:48 AM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Has u tube changed? I get a full screen commercial ever 20 seconds or so that I am forced to watch. So I quit watching the video.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:54 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
It's a bit of a myth that the Hoosiers are that much faster than the latest OEM tires that come on all these cars. They are hardly faster than the Kumho's on the Viper for a lap. Where they excel is durability. 15 sessions on the fronts and 25-30 sessions on the rears whereas the Kumho's driven hard you may get four 20 minute sessions out of the fronts if you're lucky.

Hoosiers aren't even that much faster than the Pilot Super Sports albeit you have to over drive the Super Sports a bit to go quick. They are still within 1.5 seconds here. I think my quickest time on Hoosier's (Which isn't very quick mind you, lol!!) at this track with the GS was a 1:12.03. At this same track in the Viper was a 1:08.42 with Hoosiers and a 1.10.20 on the Kumho's the first and only time I used them.

I don't even know what tires come on the ZR1? Whatever they are they are better than the tires that came stock on the Viper.

I forgot this and is valid because both can be street driven. The Viper is terrible. I had to break in the new differential after the first one went bad at 3700 miles and all I wanted to do was be done with it and out of the car. Uncomfortable, no ground clearance, rides horrible, radio hardly works. I don't even have to see one to know the ZR1 is going to be soooo much better in that regard there's no comparison.

Here's the Grand Sport with the Pilot Super Sports. Car is stock other than pads and SRF fluid. Many of the cars I am on track with in this video are shod with Hoosiers. The Cup car is on Pirelli slicks. I am always shocked at how well the Super Sports work.

Take note of a couple of the cars the GS goes around. This is indicative of what you see at track days and reinforces my original point regarding how a car is being driven is most important. This is an Advanced level / Instructor blended run group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1AVQZ2WZec&t=69s
No doubt, the Viper is not a good street car. It never was. I'm still sorry to see it gone. It was good to have a little competition. We probably wouldn't have the ZR1 at the level it is.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:05 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1AVQZ2WZec&t=69s
That GT-R in your video was getting it. Loads of torque, clearly. Nice vid--thanks for posting.
The following users liked this post:
Racingswh (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 07:16 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
That GT-R in your video was getting it. Loads of torque, clearly. Nice vid--thanks for posting.
Thanks! We had a good conversation after the session when he walked over to check out the car. It was the first Grand Sport he had seen. His car makes good power and he was surprised to see the GS keep coming back over and over. DE traffic was definitely my friend that session.

It's always cool making new friends by having great on track experiences.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:42 PM
CSevenGS
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Just saw this thread and after reading a lot of the posts, it's pretty funny all the comparisons and bench racing commentary. Now, not only has the ZR1 crushed the ACR...the Z06 also crushed it with new calibration. The ZR1 was with an engineer driving not a professional. The egg on face in some of the posts is kind of hilarious.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:04 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CSevenGS
Just saw this thread and after reading a lot of the posts, it's pretty funny all the comparisons and bench racing commentary. Now, not only has the ZR1 crushed the ACR...the Z06 also crushed it with new calibration. The ZR1 was with an engineer driving not a professional. The egg on face in some of the posts is kind of hilarious.

The ZR1 is exceptionally fast and previously from seeing that specs on paper I don't think anyone questioned that it would be?

I get a chuckle though when everyone who supports one marque or another hangs their hat on what Winkler does, Mero does, Bill Johnson or whoever in whatever car as if that's indicative of the way all of the cars will get around while in fact reality is just the opposite.

Most Driver's that buy any of them regardless of marque will circulate around many, many seconds off the pace their car is capable of. Most would have be been better suited working on the Driver Mod if they wanted to actually go quick.

In relation to the lap the ZR1 put down in the hands of anyone the ACR just isn't that quick on the straights. It's a turd in 5th and doesn't have anywhere NEAR THE SPEED of the ZR1. Not even close.

That said the ZR1 will still need to be well driven in order to get around a well driven ACR-E or the C7Z06. Most Driver's that have ZR1's will get smashed by ACR-E's here in the East when they are driven by Gary Wimble or Luke McGrew or Darius and a couple other's that have them in the West. These are just real world guys who like to take their cars to the track often and drive them pretty well. Same will happen when the new ZR1 Driver's come across well driven C7Z06's.

I can tell you I personally happen to know how entering the esses at speed feels and if someone thinks rolling in at 157 mph will just happen because they bought a ZR1 I am guessing they are in for a surprise.

I am looking forward to seeing my first well driven ZR1 and how quick they are on the track. Should be a fun season!!

Steve W. Hoagland
The following 2 users liked this post by Racingswh:
Poor-sha (02-01-2018), rb185afm (02-07-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 07:49 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Luke has also been doing some HP mods to his Viper. It's going to be a crazy year.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:39 AM
rw99
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The ZR1 is exceptionally fast and previously from seeing that specs on paper I don't think anyone questioned that it would be?

I get a chuckle though when everyone who supports one marque or another hangs their hat on what Winkler does, Mero does, Bill Johnson or whoever in whatever car as if that's indicative of the way all of the cars will get around while in fact reality is just the opposite.

Most Driver's that buy any of them regardless of marque will circulate around many, many seconds off the pace their car is capable of. Most would have be been better suited working on the Driver Mod if they wanted to actually go quick.

In relation to the lap the ZR1 put down in the hands of anyone the ACR just isn't that quick on the straights. It's a turd in 5th and doesn't have anywhere NEAR THE SPEED of the ZR1. Not even close.

That said the ZR1 will still need to be well driven in order to get around a well driven ACR-E or the C7Z06. Most Driver's that have ZR1's will get smashed by ACR-E's here in the East when they are driven by Gary Wimble or Luke McGrew or Darius and a couple other's that have them in the West. These are just real world guys who like to take their cars to the track often and drive them pretty well. Same will happen when the new ZR1 Driver's come across well driven C7Z06's.

I can tell you I personally happen to know how entering the esses at speed feels and if someone thinks rolling in at 157 mph will just happen because they bought a ZR1 I am guessing they are in for a surprise.

I am looking forward to seeing my first well driven ZR1 and how quick they are on the track. Should be a fun season!!

Steve W. Hoagland
Very well put; agree 100%

Rich
Racingswh (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 10:16 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rw99
Very well put; agree 100%

Rich
Thanks Rich!

I love Corvette's. I have two right now. Arguably my favorite cars of all time. I just get along with them well and have from the first one I ever drove, a 1970 4 spd LS5 454, right up to the current C7's.

I told my Wife this morning her C7GS is going down the road if this new ZR1 proves to be trouble free at the track. I promised her the ZR1 would be in the color she wants!!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:37 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Doesn't matter whether the track is short or long, technical or not. The Driver that's better no matter which car they are in will put down the quicker lap times.
lol I passed a viper ACR in my base model at Laguna Seca.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:02 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by theplatinumog
Yep. Well driven your car is extremely fast. Nice work!
Old 02-02-2018, 04:16 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 724 Likes on 478 Posts

Stingrays passing ACRs is simply a driver difference. ACRs are disgustingly fast when driven remotely well.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:15 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Stingrays passing ACRs is simply a driver difference. ACRs are disgustingly fast when driven remotely well.
That is why I quoted the message that I did.

I love seeing everyone get worked up about times they would never be able to replicate.

The viper ACR may not be the best example of this... I hear it is pretty forgiving. But usually as cars get faster, they get exponentially more difficult to drive quickly.
Racingswh (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 01:36 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

I love seeing everyone get worked up about times they would never be able to replicate.

The viper ACR may not be the best example of this... I hear it is pretty forgiving. But usually as cars get faster, they get exponentially more difficult to drive quickly.
Andrie was putting down 35's in his fairly stock C6Z with video of him going around an ACR-E like it had run out of gas. The Driver of that ACR-E could have been in anything and Andrie would've gotten around them. lol!!

The potential of that Driver's car in the hands of someone else is absolutely meaningless.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:59 PM
Davide36
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As sexy as the ACR-E might be it doesnt stand a chance against a ZR1. Lets see here:
-105hp extra
-115lb ft torque extra
-3 years of extra development
-more advanced traction control system
-more advanced suspension

The zo6 alone just edged out the Viper, with its new suspension update and its terrible aero system.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 ZR1 vs. Viper ACR Extreme

Old 02-03-2018, 04:02 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

I didn't notice anybody getting worked up. Also as cars have gotten faster they have also gotten more computer driving assistance making them safer to drive faster. True if your really stupid the extra power can kill you quickly but a less experienced driver in todays high HP cars can actually drive safer than in yesterdays cars with less HP.
Just my opinion. And: I am calmed down officer so quit telling me to calm down
Old 02-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
but a less experienced driver in todays high HP cars can actually drive safer than in yesterdays cars with less HP.

Some of those older cars were quite a handful.

I feel though that the new cars in most cases aren't being driven anywhere close to their maximum potential. An average, less experienced Driver has no chance of getting anywhere close to the edge of the capabilities that a new ZR1 has.
06nine (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 05:36 AM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Great video.
Big compliment to your driving skills

I also go to SPA once a year, one of the most beautiful and best

Cölestin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 ZR1 vs. Viper ACR Extreme