C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C7 ZR1 vs. Viper ACR Extreme

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 12:58 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Default C7 ZR1 vs. Viper ACR Extreme

Kind of agree with this goofball, high speed track ZR1, technical track ACR.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:48 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Doesn't matter whether the track is short or long, technical or not. The Driver that's better no matter which car they are in will put down the quicker lap times.

Last edited by Racingswh; 12-18-2017 at 01:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Achmed (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 04:54 AM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

ACR #1100 pds of downforce
Old 12-18-2017, 12:11 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Doesn't matter whether the track is short or long, technical or not. The Driver that's better no matter which car they are in will put down the quicker lap times.
The question here is for the car, not the driver. I absolutely agree, a better driver will win hands down even in an inferior car. Comparison is to be made with equal (or same) driver.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:21 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by xlr8ion
ACR #1100 pds of downforce
No doubt. Much higher downforce on the Viper which also results in much higher drag that limits high speed. So, it's a balancing act, traction vs. speed.

I suspect the Viper is more track focused (higher spring rates, more negative camber, lower weight). Will the ZR1's higher power/torque overcome its disadvantages?

Last edited by range96; 12-18-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by range96
The question here is for the car, not the driver. I absolutely agree, a better driver will win hands down even in an inferior car. Comparison is to be made with equal (or same) driver.
I use comparison tests to get an idea of car performance only. In other words if I want to be quick at track days I know I am probably not going to select a Minivan.

Beyond that I know that if I select one of the 15 quickest cars tested on road courses as the car I will take out and enjoy on the track then the rest is up to me. Not a Pro who has skills I will never have. It's me and my skill set that decide how quick the car can go.

The ZR1 and ACR-E cars will be so close it's a Driver's race. I will even go so far as to say the ZR1 unless really well driven won't get around the people here that track regularly and are really quick in their C7Z's.

Me in my ACR-E

Poorsha and I

The following 3 users liked this post by Racingswh:
NICK YOSKIN (02-06-2018), RobWilson (12-19-2017), serpent (10-02-2018)
Old 12-18-2017, 12:54 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_dpjXXbvLk

Kind of agree with this goofball, high speed track ZR1, technical track ACR.
I am not watching a 22 minute video of some guy who has never driven either car. Bench racing at its finest here.
The following 2 users liked this post by VRYALT3R3D:
D'ZR1 Messiah (10-02-2018), rikhek (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 01:42 PM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I use comparison tests to get an idea of car performance only. In other words if I want to be quick at track days I know I am probably not going to select a Minivan.

Beyond that I know that if I select one of the 15 quickest cars tested on road courses as the car I will take out and enjoy on the track then the rest is up to me. Not a Pro who has skills I will never have. It's me and my skill set that decide how quick the car can go.

The ZR1 and ACR-E cars will be so close it's a Driver's race. I will even go so far as to say the ZR1 unless really well driven won't get around the people here that track regularly and are really quick in their C7Z's.

Me in my ACR-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCcceIhSLe8&t=1s

Poorsha and I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VEkH_KX_As&t=2s
Nice video, was certainly fun
Compliment to both drivers
Racingswh (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 02:20 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lasco001
Nice video, was certainly fun
Compliment to both drivers
Thanks! We had a lot of fun that day!!

We had spent the weekend trying to push the stars into alignment to make that happen and we were finally able to.

For the record that was Poorsha in his old 2015 C7Z. He's quicker now in his new C7Z. He's a better driver than I am and I am not sure I have anything for him now.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:28 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Me in my ACR-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCcceIhSLe8&t=1s

Poorsha and I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VEkH_KX_As&t=2s
Thanks for the videos, great coverage! Can't comment on the NJMP Thunderbolt, never been there, but the Summit Point laps were great. I think I saw a 1:16:42 lap in the video without traffic, FOR A PRODUCTION CAR!!!
Racingswh (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 03:18 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the videos, great coverage! Can't comment on the NJMP Thunderbolt, never been there, but the Summit Point laps were great. I think I saw a 1:16:42 lap in the video without traffic, FOR A PRODUCTION CAR!!!
That's what is most fun!! We had a blast all weekend. Poorsha is typically one of the top 2 or 3 fastest cars at any event he goes to and often times fastest.

That's kind of what I was eluding to when I said "Driver's race". It's really close. When cars are this fast, and you know at Summit that's fast for a street car, sometimes it's hard for a Driver's brain to even accept the pace is possible.

With 750 + hp in a capable chassis with the benefits of decent aero I can imagine what this new C7 ZR1 is going to be like to drive. It's going to be seriously crazy fast and require a Driver like Poorsha to extract what it has to give.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:38 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Racingswh is too kind as he clearly had me there. Maybe if he had the used tires and I had the fresh tires . That was a ton of fun. I agree that it was close enough with the C7 Z06 and the Viper that the C7 ZR1 will really close the gap to just the drivers. Maybe we'll find out next year

BTW, if you saw a 1:16.42 from me in that video it was the timing glitch.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First video appears to show a Viper GTS Hood--not standard on an ACR or ACRE.

New ZR1 should be faster with equal drivers.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:59 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mako7
First video appears to show a Viper GTS Hood--not standard on an ACR or ACRE.

New ZR1 should be faster with equal drivers.
I think it's an ACR-E. Same car in both videos.

This picture was taken the day that first video was made. That's my GS and my ACR-E with my crew guy standing next to me.

No such thing as equal Driver's at track day events where you mostly will see these cars. Skills vary widely.

Put somebody good in my car and they will go way faster than I do. It's all about me improving as a Driver to be able to extract more of the performance available.

Only a very small handful of Driver's in the US that buy them will be able to utilize fully the performance the ZR1 is capable of providing. Poorsha happens to be one of those Driver's so when he get's his I have no chance.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:51 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Great videos! Looked like some very fun seasions
Racingswh (12-21-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 01:36 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Racingswh is too kind as he clearly had me there. Maybe if he had the used tires and I had the fresh tires . That was a ton of fun. I agree that it was close enough with the C7 Z06 and the Viper that the C7 ZR1 will really close the gap to just the drivers. Maybe we'll find out next year

BTW, if you saw a 1:16.42 from me in that video it was the timing glitch.
While the 1:16:42 is insanely fast at Summit Main, I believe it. There were several 1:18's in the same session. Once caught up to traffic the times went up.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:04 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

I think it's an ACR-E. Same car in both videos.

This picture was taken the day that first video was made. That's my GS and my ACR-E with my crew guy standing next to me.

No such thing as equal Driver's at track day events where you mostly will see these cars. Skills vary widely.

Put somebody good in my car and they will go way faster than I do. It's all about me improving as a Driver to be able to extract more of the performance available.

Only a very small handful of Driver's in the US that buy them will be able to utilize fully the performance the ZR1 is capable of providing. Poorsha happens to be one of those Driver's so when he get's his I have no chance.
I get the part about no equal drivers, as even a pro driver may not be able to extract the most out of both cars equally due to driving styles, familiarity. However, currently, the ACR is a faster track car than the Z06. Will the ZR1 better the ACR? I think you're right, it will be very close.

A good friend's relative participated in the Viper's latest Nurburgring efforts (under 7 minutes now), so the ZR1's ring times will tell the story. Then there is the GT2 RS times at the ring, but that's another story, with nearly 3 times of the price of admission.

Tires are also a major factor, a fresh set of Hoosiers give me an instant, effortless 5 seconds! Same car, same driver.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 ZR1 vs. Viper ACR Extreme

Old 12-19-2017, 03:15 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I stand corrected on the Viper it is definitely an ACR- E. The previous picture had a very shallow camera angle so it looked like a GTS Hood. I still stand by the prediction that the ZR1 will be faster than the ACR-E., especially on a high-speed track. As you may know from following the Nurburgring Viper Privateer efforts, Kumho tires were not up to the task and delaminated every time there was a rare lap open for a record attempt. ZR1 will surely come with better tires and also has less downforce to rip the tires up on a long course like the ring. These are definitely exciting times for Gearheads!
Old 12-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mako7
I stand corrected on the Viper it is definitely an ACR- E. The previous picture had a very shallow camera angle so it looked like a GTS Hood. I still stand by the prediction that the ZR1 will be faster than the ACR-E., especially on a high-speed track. As you may know from following the Nurburgring Viper Privateer efforts, Kumho tires were not up to the task and delaminated every time there was a rare lap open for a record attempt. ZR1 will surely come with better tires and also has less downforce to rip the tires up on a long course like the ring. These are definitely exciting times for Gearheads!
Well driven (Poorsha, Koan, Andrie and many other's here) those Driver's in a new ZR1 would more than likely go around every ACR they ever came across. That said with Andrew Aquilante driving the Viper he would probably give everyone fits except for maybe Andrie.

Comparisons can point you in the right direction of which car to purchase but it's up to the Driver to make it happen. Often times at track day events Novice Driver's in the fastest cars are getting smashed by everything there is on the track. I see that most often with high end exotics.

No different than when I see someone on a brand new liter bike the marketing hype guaranteed was the fastest thing mankind has laid eyes on getting ridden around by Rider's on 25-30 yr old bikes.

The tires that come fitted on the Viper stock are complete garbage. Made for just one purpose, quick on US tracks for 2 laps, they are horrible for everything else, borderline dangerous IMO. In addition the Viper is a turd in 5th. It has no chance on a track like the Ring against cars that are actually fast. The ZR1 will likely hang with it in the corners and smash it on the straights.

I am excited to see the new ZR1 up close and see how quick it is in person. If they come out and prove they are livable/reliable and without issues on the track I will give it serious consideration. To your point these certainly are exciting times.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

I get the part about no equal drivers, as even a pro driver may not be able to extract the most out of both cars equally due to driving styles, familiarity. However, currently, the ACR is a faster track car than the Z06. Will the ZR1 better the ACR? I think you're right, it will be very close.

A good friend's relative participated in the Viper's latest Nurburgring efforts (under 7 minutes now), so the ZR1's ring times will tell the story. Then there is the GT2 RS times at the ring, but that's another story, with nearly 3 times of the price of admission.
What do you mean the viper is under 7 Mins now? The lowest they got during the private effort was 7:01.

Quick Reply: C7 ZR1 vs. Viper ACR Extreme